Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
tech bubble v5.0: it enabled more than one genocide, so there's that i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
this is actually Bad News because it means his posting is about to double which is terrible for everyone

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
“The money's not here. Your money's in Zuck’s metaverse...right next to Decentraland. And in the Dogechain, and in Lime scooters, and a hundred others. Why, you're lending them the money to ~Build~ 💪, and then they're going to pay it back to you as best they can.” - George_Bailey.eth

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
The fun part is guessing how the contagion spreads from here

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
lol I wonder if YC was the company that had been planning to cut staff on Friday but couldn’t pay out severance due to SVB going under

https://techcrunch.com/2023/03/13/y-combinator-cuts-nearly-20-of-staff-scales-back-growth-stage-investments/

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

infernal machines posted:

i'm not saying 12 white men would have avoided this mess, but one white man caused it (peter thiel)

so it was The Gay after all

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

getting to the point where one wonders why they bother with the actual trading day at all, just do the once-per-day auctions and be done with it.

Matt Levine has half-seriously floated this a few times in his newsletter: open for 9:30-10, take a break, close from 3-4.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Beeftweeter posted:

FREE Hard Drive!

lol i miss the days when poo poo like that wasn't actually a scam

this all reminded me that my first MP3 player was some weird point earning scheme from doing surveys or searches on Altavista. it held 32 songs! it was magic!

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
https://twitter.com/ben_downie/status/1640513195101294592?s=46&t=WVceeWcLlqXlE2y7eNkQ_Q

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I recommend having a toddler. it’s like having a 20 pound weight that you have to carry around, might have to catch at any time, and will guarantee you make use of every minute of sleep

no guarantee on being hot tho, I inevitably walk around with random food on my shirt

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
when the weather is nice, the jogging stroller is a fantastic workout and she has a blast looking at the all the dogs and speeding down the path

but it definitely takes some building up to get there because you’re pushing an extra 30+ pounds the whole way

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Elder Postsman posted:

i've been a professional software developer for almost ten years and i still barely know what some of those words other programmers use mean

this is me whenever someone talks about Kubernetes or anything devops related, my brain just turns off. no i will not learn what or how terraform works, i’ll just ask someone else or GPT and pray it does something vaguely correct enough to get to PR review and someone fixes it

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

meta slowing becoming the HP or AT&T of the 2020s.

It’s AOL. Maybe the slide takes a good long time, but I don’t see how they ever have a real recovery where they start growing and are exciting again. Their user base is stagnant and they have no new ideas. It’s just gonna be annual layoffs and only backfilling certain positions as it just slowly fades into the background.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

FMguru posted:

yahoo is another good comparison

probably very appropriate that AOL and Yahoo merged into one big failed company! maybe Facebook will merge with Twitter after everyone important has left the latter

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
one time at work I had dropped something below the sink (no cabinet) and found that someone had stashed a smirnoff liquor bottle there, right in the crevice between the plumbing and bowl.

i get that the computer toucher open office situation often doesn’t have drawers to store stuff in, but man there’s got to be a better way. airplane bottles perhaps

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
one of the most fascinating interviews I was a part of was when we all (4 engineers plus the manager) took the candidate to lunch. The candidate ordered first and got a beer. Generally not done at our company at all, but one of the other engineers didn’t want him left out I guess, and ordered one as well.

He then ordered a second.

Still hired him because he was a really good engineer. And then he’d have a beer for lunch, even when eating at his desk.

But to his credit, he never got drunk and was decent at his job, so *shrug*

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
s/candles/police

https://twitter.com/dril/status/384411458794057728?s=46&t=WVceeWcLlqXlE2y7eNkQ_Q

but seriously local governments (and the federal government with the military which are Big Police) can’t imagine doing anything differently, and idk if we’ll ever see that change in our lifetimes

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Dreamweaver and Microsoft Publisher were crucial for that audience

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Twitter works for about one refresh every few hours now. He’s gone from slowly killing it with a bullet in the stomach, to now two in the chest and one in the head on a holiday weekend, amazing

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
1000% piss, there’s no second syllable to make it into badass

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Vimeo?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Sagebrush posted: