Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I’ve had a tough time finding a really good burger in nyc, honestly, though I haven’t tried very hard either. I live right near Emily but afaik their burger, while well-regarded, uses a mayo-based sauce which is not something I’m really interested in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

good tips, ty posters

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

the big lie: maybe this android phone will be good

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I do get using an android if you are either price-sensitive (either poor or don't care enough about phone to spend lots of money on one) or love one of the niche form factors apple doesn't offer

fortunately for me apple does sell the niche form factor I like, "normal size"

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Achmed Jones posted:

stock buyback plus the recent reveal that the ceo gets a quarter billion a year while they're laying people off. no new layoffs (yet)

awuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Achmed Jones posted:

i am like 98% sure that the awu is mostly pinkertons. it's too stupid for it not to be intentional

it’s pretty silly but it’s also the only thing that can possibly work. and it’s a union, so, well, if more normal people join it’ll shift its priorities accordingly. some folks do some good stuff around contractor organizing too. I joined back when the first round of layoffs hit, and if everyone else had done the same thing there wouldn’t be a second round— I’m more than willing to be cringe if that’s what it takes. and, well, I was already cringe to begin with

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

tbh I’m not convinced the minority union structure was a good idea either. but you got really angry about this really fast. it’s not like I set up the thing op, I just joined later because I figured that’d be at least more effective than not joining

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

perhaps I’m just not acclimated to the high intensity posting environment of the tech bubble thread

in conclusion google lost cloud to a bookstore. that’s something we can all agree on

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

lol np, it’s clear you’ve thought a lot about this subject and have strong feelings about it

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they arose as an alternative to dividends because people got absolutely nuts about any cut to any dividend ever and for tax reasons. that insanity about cuts is actually a completely rational nuts because the numerics of equity valuation whiplash intensely when you change a dividend ever at all. difference between renormalizations and exponents basically

but to fix the dividend valuation problem is hard and raising taxes enough on buybacks is easy

I don’t really understand the point about dividends having a more dramatic effect on valuation than stock buybacks. setting aside the tax benefits of buybacks, isn’t the financial effect of a buyback for shareholders going to be the same as an ad hoc dividend of some size (calculated as a simple function of previous stock price, size of buyback and number of outstanding shares)? or are you just saying the strategic ambiguity of buybacks means you have less dramatic shifts in price compared to if you actually have to change your company’s policy as to how much dividends they’re going to pay each quarter

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

peeps do not do ad hoc dividends in public market land, as a rule, altho they theoretically can. they set up quarterly or whatever dividends and then if they ever change them everyone starts running around with their hair on fire

okay, so it’s just for practical reasons regarding the real market, and not fundamental economic reasons

is there an argument against raising taxes on buybacks? except “taxes on dividends should be lower instead” of course. it looks like a pretty open and shut loophole to me

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I’ve always thought the problems are interesting in finance but I hear the industry is not exactly a world of great work life balance

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

wow I can’t believe members of congress might start voting on bills without having read them now. what a totally new and unprecedented change.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

personally I’m thinking I’ll get laid off, that’d give me plenty of time for both zelda and personal projects

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I wouldn't take a job where they wouldn't give me a 4K monitor for programming

I don't think it's at all necessary for gaming though. I'm happy "different resolution for UI and rendering" seems to be coming over from consoles, at least

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

a date that will live in infamy

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

if the subway was nice richer peeps would take it. it isnt nice because all the poo poo, the trains, the stations, are decrepit and old. they are decrepit and old because they are multiple times more expensive than what the east asians get

plenty of rich people take the subway though. not rich rich but bottom of the 1% rich sure. class avoidance is more of an issue for buses (and much of that is imo down to the buses being bad, if they were able to provide consistently better service I think you’d see wealthier people using them a lot)

everything you said about price disease is true ofc

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

read pedestrianobservations if you want good analyses about what’s so hosed in american public infra spending

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

there should just be noise checks like the smog checks for motor vehicles, and louder vehicles should be required to pay more on their registration

also the minimum for bodily injury insurance should be 100x median income

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Internet Janitor posted:

so you're saying you think it's ok to be obnoxious as long as you're rich?

hell, if loud vehicles were more expensive a lot of these shitlords would wear it as a badge of pride

drat you really owned arthur c pigov with this one

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

as a tech worker it’s tough to trust bloomberg, given they never walked back their bogus hack story from 2018

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

"there are entire categories of cons that depend upon the marks dishonesty"

cant get an honest man w a ponzi, can get an honest man w a long firm or a forgery

“lying for money” is probably the most interesting book I read in the past five years

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

romans also had basically few mathematical advances

the basic weirdness of the confusion also stems a lot from the romans unique hegemonic comparative religion, where they would conquer peeps, go off to look at their gods, and play their matching game. sure, apollo matches to mercury, but so does tyr of the norse. works great on everyone except jews

hey they killed archimedes, that’s like a negative advance

also I thought they saw tyr as mars usually, and odin as mercury

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I only remember this because I was reading about tyr recently and how nobody’s really sure where he comes from, he fits in weirdly with the pantheon, and there’s a popular theory that he’s from an older, forgotten set of gods. and because it stuck with me that the romans thought these guys worshipped mercury as the king of the gods, since I figured they must have thought he was a strange god to put in that position

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

anyway ancient history is sick, especially sources from the era. I’m reading herodotus rn and it’s so cool that this dude compiled everything he could find out that he thought was worth recording, two and a half millenia ago, and I’m just sitting on my couch reading it now

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

my favorite thing so far is he is talking about some urn, and its history, and then he goes “and then some other guy added a dedication to the spartans on it. I know the guy’s name but I’m not gonna say it because gently caress that guy, that’s not an act that’s worthy of me writing it dow, that’s just some bullshit”

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

also that ullr thing owns

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

this is simplistic but my theory has always been that llms are especially popular with people with no interior life, like executives, since it has similar capabilities

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

it won't get used this way but an ai chatbot could be useful as a support duck. ask it questions and try the stuff it suggests without believing it too hard.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I have a bad feeling that the fist of copyright won't smash ai for red queen reasons; if a state regulates generative ai products out of existence, they'll just go to somewhere else where the things are legal. but it's possible things will work out more positively; the us historically has been very successful enforcing its strict copyright regime across the globe, and also is incapable of legislating so if the stuff gets deemed illegal a fix law will be difficult to pass

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

another round of google layoffs today

if layoffs, colluding on compensation and so on really bothered people they'd take collective action. as such, the amount of pity I feel is limited by the unbending logic of the contrapositive

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

yeah messing with history can be used for good things if you do it right. of course no one does because it's web development but it's not an inherently busted idea

the same with right click honestly, I was skeptical about web uis with right clicks in them but it can be useful for stuff that really wants to feel like an application

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

VikingofRock posted:

Google actually does have a union! But they are a minority union, are not registered with the NLRB, and are unable to engage in collective bargaining. So I can understand why Googlers would want to avoid paying dues to an organization with zero actual power, and why it would be hard to organize a separate, actually effective union, given the presence of the existing useless union

yes it’s a minority union because a minority of workers joined it. if enough workers joined that winning a card check in some reasonable bargaining unit was feasible they would have a different status. “was organizing a minority union a good idea” and “should one join such a union” are quite different questions with imo different answers, similar to “what would I do as an elected official” vs “who should I support”. but I do acknowledge the strength of the impulse to avoid paying dues while still preventing the contrapositive from altering one’s perception of their own politics

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

marvin miller is a goddamn national hero

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

iirc the concern with discord is that their valuation is dramatically out of whack with the business they’re actually running, so they’re going to have to try to expand and thus gently caress things up at some point

not sure how that relates to the layoffs though

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

when I lived in california I just outsourced all my proposition opinions to Pete Ratestheprops

doesn't help with deciding to sign things ofc but that doesn't really matter anyway

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I find it hard to begrudge news organizations asking readers to give them money. What else are they supposed to do when advertising revenue has fallen so far?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

honestly I've thought about a ft sub, I hear good things about their reporting. but you'd have to really read a ton of it for it to be worth it. and their premium sub looks extremely lol

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

bloomberg... I realize this is reductive and I'm sure they have lots of good reporting but I can't help but think about how they never walked back that weird tech security story from 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

personally I like lead for simple syrup. healthier than sugar, of course, and it doesn’t go bad in the same way