Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the entire economy will collapse before they allow the bubble to end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it's okay, they'll make it up in volume

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
oh it won't be subtle

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i use a washing machine instead of doing it by hand, makes it a lot easier

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
a mechanical contraption that folds your mattress in half, so you can put the fitted sheet on the ends and let it unfold to pull it tight

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if you have a murphy-style bed that folds away, just let it operate the folding mechanism separately from the other bit

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the corners of the bed up against a wall can be a bit fiddly.

the duvet is really easy, just get the two back corners and stuff them all the way to the corresponding corners of the duvet cover, then hold it by those corners and shake it a bit to distribute the rest of it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
giving them away would just be putting them in a landfill with extra steps

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
ten times the price and less utility than an actual slurpee, what a deal

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Somewhere there's somebody designing injection molds for this crap, and they're probably gonna be out of a job soon.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
true crime enthusiasts are in fact total weirdos

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I would like to think that literal children would prefer a doll that didn't have such a hosed up giant head, like one of Mattel's many offerings.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
reminder that the reason mint in-box star wars action figures are worth so much is that basically all the product at the time was bought, opened, and played with by kids that enjoyed those things. the fact that people enjoyed those things as kids is both the source of demand (from nostalgia-brained adults) and the reason for a very limited supply.

any "collectable" that's sold as something you keep in the box and never open because that would make it less valuable is inherently a scam. there's a massive oversupply of mint-in-box copies, and absolutely nobody will have nostalgia for them to the point they're wanting to pay excessive amounts.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
just like world war 2, some catastrophic event ruining most of the wine just makes the small surviving amount more valuable

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's in the interests of the fed that depositors trust the US banking system to have their back without them having to care about that sort of thing.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Anyway in a just world the shareholders that had advance notice of this and sold out the day before things really went down would go to prison, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the fed has literally unlimited us dollars as long as the books balance at the end of the day. that's the point of the fed.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the feds don't give a poo poo about vcs, they're doing it to save all the other us banks. which they very much do give a poo poo about, because maintaining the us financial hegemony is literally their job.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the question is whether banks can figure out how to borrow money through that program and then turn around and funnel it straight back into higher-yield treasuries. if they can then they will and then things will get interesting, otherwise it'll all just blow over.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
No error for me, but uh ... WAL did not have a very good day

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

raminasi posted:

i genuinely don't understand your ideal model of depository banking. if i deposit money in a bank, and that bank fails, the government takes some of my other stuff and sells it to someone else, keeping the cash?

literally yes, but only if you're somebody that they've marked as an Enemy of the State (i.e. a capitalist)

they are a very naive and childish communist

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Chalks posted:

and we can agree that this is insane, right? making a bunch of businesses bankrupt because a bank failed is bad, and saying "but have you considered that the investors of those businesses are rich?" doesn't magic away all the other consequences of a decision like that?

and "it's fine those businesses should just be nationalised" is the bonkers cherry on top?

everyone except the person earnestly stating those opinions is probably in agreement, yes.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Beeftweeter posted:

i think mila kunis is describing a state run bank, i.e. basically let the government hold on to deposits, extend loans if needed, guarantee withdrawals in any case, etc.

this is effectively what they did over the weekend without actually cutting out the middleman. they're advocating for the elimination of private banking, not depository banking

i suspect most of you know this. c'mon

they are describing an earnest belief that if your fart app startup had its payroll in a bank that failed, the government should take your fart app startup (or at least part of it) in exchange for returning your money to you.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you need to buy 15 banks tho, thats kind of a difficult thing to do

from what i'm hearing it'll only cost $15 if you do it at the right time

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Beeftweeter posted:

it also signals to other banks that they can fail and nothing will happen either

hmm, i'm not sure the shareholders that get wiped out in the process would call it "nothing"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
anyone who bought anything using that poo poo certainly got played

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if you buy a nice car instead of a tesla you save even more money

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

ADINSX posted:

llms are a good counter point to my argument. Since the last time I’ve thought about this they’ve become the hot new thing. Maybe the kinks can be worked out and it really will be the hot new thing, who knows

half the people using them seem to want to work more kinks in, though

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it means for block 2 you can put new code on the same hardware instead of having to design and certify a whole new thing just to add one extra switch

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
something would be done, it'd be undoing whatever changes you made that caused rich people to have to suffer those same indignities

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mystes posted:

He's probably saying badass btw

Only if you've never actually listened to it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the whole point of "hallway conversations" is that if you have nothing pressing to talk about you just nod at each other and get on with whatever else you were up to

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it's because they love the taste of sweet baby ray's barbeque sauce, op. much like the truly authentic american Mark Zuckerberg.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Ah so it was in fact a crazed junkie

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Achmed Jones posted:

no new layoffs (yet)

facebook recently announced another round of layoffs, so whatever executive toady that mimics facebook instead of thinking for themselves has definitely started pushing for more to happen

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the reason stocks have value is because they have the potential for a future payout.

if there is no potential payout beyond "well maybe an even bigger fool will buy it off me for more than what i paid for it" then it's literally worthless.

other speculative investments (like commodities) are different because there you're not just looking to sell to a bigger fool - the idea is that you'll eventually sell to someone who can use that commodity productively and is willing to pay money to acquire it

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
a packet of ketchup, maybe

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

canyoneer posted:

they are extremely impatient for developing markets. same pattern plays out every time. they are early adopters spinning up a business unit for some new tech application. the market is small and it doesn't turn into a gazillion dollar business in two years, so they sell it or kill it.

tbf it's easy to see how an organisation gets to this point when their reference point is like, itanium

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
switch to linux, they've spent thousands upon thousands of person-hours trying to get their sound to work so surely it must be pretty good now, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
is that the roko that came up with the whole torment-nexus-torturing-a-simulation-of-you-for-eternity-if-you-don't-give-us-all-your-money-to-build-the-torment-nexus basilisk thing?