Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

i thought some of the clown model simplicity was due to carmacks insistence on needing to do like 10k people in a stadium but then they can only do like 32 people in a zone??? per that last nymag and my god thats like mediocre numbers for 2003

where did the thirty billion dollars go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i don't think asics and details of the raw compute matters that much for inference, in that i'd be kind of surprised if e.g. bing chat didn't do upwards of 1 terabyte worth of touches in very expensive memory per word of output.

iirc one of the hyperscalers (goog I think) started running inference on spare general cpus but cut over to dedicated inference hardware over five years ago but the number of inferences you need to do that dedicating hardware makes economic sense is p high

not sure if the math has changed any with all the avx512 inference instructions they’ve jammed in in the last few years or if the models are significantly larger than accelerator

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

beyond planning birth times, it is not uncommon for people around here to hold their kid back a year for sports, which: lol

and there’s been studies that grade skip is usually a good thing for outcomes, at least in younger grades, with the appropriate support

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

sports parents around here do the hold back in like kindergarten which seems premature? like tiger woods sure, but on average we’re probably talking second string hs linebacker

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

it's an interesting window into major depression, and how one guy worked through it, but it's not like citizen kane or anything

punched it with his giant robot

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

madmatt112 posted:

Christ I love those books

the tone on forward the foundation was impressively grim

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

poo poo elon can get away with when they’re the only major ev mfr vs everyone having an ev

someone recently pointed out its easily possible to pay gm over $100/mo for services now (onstar, supercruise, data plan, etc) and they want to grow that to like tens of billions a year

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

carry on then posted:

i'd like to reroll my character to pick up whatever traits let me look like that with "lil workouts" please

just head to the crossfit gym and ask the jacked dudes who writes their hgh scripts

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

there needs to be an stfu button and if a high enough percentage of readers hit it in the first hour the post is up, the author gets a sixer. it'd be a terrible feature and everyone would be probed all the time, but it'd be really funny for a couple days (and then rolled back)

congratulations, you invented slashdot reddit

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

fascism is a shrieking murderous temper tantrum thrown by males of a country's dominant ethnic group that arises when they experience a sudden perceived loss of prestige

everything else is post-hoc justification

sarah palin, leni riefenstahl, and marine le pen would like a word

more white women voted for trump than clinton in 2016

dudes don’t got a monopoly on lovely politics

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

yeah well they rose to power by enabling the whining of a whole bunch of dudes with sad peepees

take the sad peepees out of the equation and the fascist politician loses their power base

again, more white women voted for trump. lots of german women were big supporters of hitler. you can go down the list of fascist movements and find significant female support across the board

ladies can be threatened by social change too and its kinda gross to deny it

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

tizen is based on loving Enlightenment and the horror stories of devs who have to tizen are great

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

ynohtna posted:

I thought I had a strong tolerance for klunky wordplay but "NAIghbours" is horrible.

why do you need this meetup if you have ai companions

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

mediaphage posted:

highly variable ime

like obviously lots of the us is puritannical but i personally have never gotten shade for having a beer (though i stick to low abvs) in a lunch sitch before.

i don't make a huge habit of it though, i personally don't really like boozy work environments - not because i care if someone has a beer now and then but because it almost inevitably ends up getting someone sloshed that really shouldnt be

gonna keep reposting this

quote:

I started a new job last month. At my previous employer, they were very lax and laid back. They had work sponsored beer Fridays at the end of every week, and they served beer at the work cafeteria, with a limit of one per person during the work day. That being said, I usually drank a Busch Light or an IPA every day with my lunch for the past 2.5 years.

During the interview process at my new job, they asked me what I liked about my [then] current employer, and I mentioned that they were very lax and the interviewer said "Not to brag, but we're known for having a very lax culture here as well. I would bet we're more laid back than your current employer". This was a relief to hear. I'll skip past the boring parts, but after a few more interviews at this place, I got an offer and took a job.

Upon accepting the position, I was mailed a onboarding packet with the employee handbook. I read the handbook from front to back and didn't see anything about a no alcohol policy in the book. This along with the mention of a "very lax work culture" had me thinking not many things would change from a culture standpoint from my old job to my new one.

The first few weeks was a lot of training and the training usually ran over lunch, so they would provide us with a variety of sandwich options/pizza that were catered, as well as drink options (waters, sodas, juice, tea, coffee, etc.) so I would just help myself to whatever they provided. Later in the month, my boss scheduled a lunch at a restaurant with our vendor to introduce me to them and explain my new role, and at this lunch my boss was the first person to order a beer, and the rest of us followed suit. This was another good sign.

Fast forward to last week, training was over and I was starting to settle into a routine and working more on my day to day tasks. That being said, I packed my own lunch, and included in my lunch was a Busch Light. I ate the first few lunches at my desk, undisturbed by anyone else. I didn't think anything of it. Eventually I was invited to eat lunch at the lunchroom upstairs, so I joined some colleagues upstairs for lunch. I unpacked my lunch and cracked open my Busch Light. Immediately I could sense a "What the hell is this guy thinking" vibe from my colleagues, but no one said anything. I brushed it off. Later that day HR stopped by along with my boss and called me into the HR office. They said what I did was unacceptable and that "I'm lucky I'm not getting fired for that type of behavior." I mentioned the vendor lunch and my boss shot me daggers. We ended the meeting with an agreement that I would refrain from drinking alcohol on the job again.

The next day, my boss chewed me out for "throwing him under the bus" and asked me "what the hell I was thinking". I don't get the big deal, no grown adult gets drunk or even buzzed off one single beer with lunch. I was following his lead and thought it was acceptable! So much for "lax".

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

MononcQc posted:

hmm, could the layoffs have been avoided with $70b worth of money instead used in stock buybacks I wonder https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/25/google-authorizes-70-billion-buyback.html

$140 billion

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

I’m pretty sure I’ve run into the remnants of this project and its absolutely dogshit and shoulda killed it altogether

on mobile, not signed in, scroll down like three or four pages and it pivots from your results to ‘similar’ results on pastel background with thumbnails heavily seo’d pages with images and YT videos

it pivots from ‘kinda related’ to ‘lol’ so fast

it also constantly prompts to sign in, I assume for ‘personalization’. I don’t know why, they have enough other data coming in to figure out who I am you don’t need to g+ me to target ads

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

in a well actually posted:

I’m pretty sure I’ve run into the remnants of this project and its absolutely dogshit and shoulda killed it altogether

on mobile, not signed in, scroll down like three or four pages and it pivots from your results to ‘similar’ results on pastel background with thumbnails heavily seo’d pages with images and YT videos

it pivots from ‘kinda related’ to ‘lol’ so fast

it also constantly prompts to sign in, I assume for ‘personalization’. I don’t know why, they have enough other data coming in to figure out who I am you don’t need to g+ me to target ads

also I struggle with how pre-musk twitter had the best algo discovery; google and FB’s Suggested for You are just garbage. visiting a local small town’s fb page obviously means you want content from other small town governments across the country

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

ADINSX posted:

Angry birds was fun

heard they unpublished the original one and went full iap

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

mediaphage posted:

nah, calculators didn't stop experts from being able to do math, ai won't stop experts from making relational connections

counterpoint: tesla autopilot

you can go to driving school but a significant part of learning to drive is actual driving. if you spend 99% of the time on autopilot you don’t have the experience to handle when it just drops you into a difficult situation with limited notice to dodge responsibility

I suspect this is a pretty good pattern for how ml will get deployed

jk there’ll be no recourse or visibility when these systems fail

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

you are imagining the thing 99% working, which is not true for any of these things (certainly not autopilot).

like, if they do get to a point where you'd almost never have to do the thing yourself yeah it'll lead to decay of ability, but that's presupposing an unlikely utopia

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i think decay will set in even at the 40% point

yeah I’m not thinking 99%, but any moron can do hot-dog/not-hot-dog with tensorflow at 70% and certainly jam a simple model on an AML data stream. of course, you’re not going go get the savings to pay for accenture to jam that system together and improve your margins if you have to pay for aml people to unfuck it so *shrug*

aml is both a legal requirement and costs you money if you get it wrong. imagine all the fields where correct sounding but periodically wrong is sufficient

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

super mario run is good. bummer that folks refusing to pay $10 once pivoted nintendos to full monthly iap on mobile

iirc their target sales required for breakeven on run was super high like “biggest mobile game ever” scale

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

it was funny like five (ten?) years ago when dyson designed an electric car and couldn’t get anyone to give them money to build it

a bar that even faraday future, nicola, and like a dozen other scam ev companies managed to clear

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

every self-driving car should have emergency stop buttons speckled on the outside.

sure it might lead to roaming gangs of greybeards on mopeds equipped with Whac-A-Mole mallets gridlocking the entire Bay Area but that's worth it.

hey! Sagebrush has a name.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

saw a take on that story that the problem was ‘mean old apple not helping more’

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

mystes posted:

It seems like some people are just really easily duped by sociopaths for some reason and maybe they shouldn't be the ones writing articles on sociopaths but what do I know

its a hiring requirement for nyt reporters, because it is what the nyt does

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

thinking critically about the rich and powerful? who do you think signs the checks and who their friends are

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I don't understand why you would marry someone that you absolutely 100% know made up their personality like a sociopath, committed a massive fraud, is going to prison and to top it all off, is likely now bankrupt

there are benefits to being in-network, even if your biggest* crime is lying to people in-network

* by social impact, not like actual impact like people dying because of your bad tests

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

the whole story of stanford undergrad gets inspiration of “what if we had blood tests that didn’t actually need blood” without any sort of way to make that and then just ran with it worked because she had a network where she could just chum up with kissinger

you’d think these monsters would be attuned but charisma and being in-network gets you a lot

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

haveblue posted:

just cadaver synod the small trace of dust that was Caesar’s skeleton, if you can find it

physicists love to do the ‘on average you’re breathing an air molecule from caesars last breath’ so the cadaver to synod was inside us all along

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

a thing to be said for the ancient greeks is that they took a production surplus and used it to let people lounge about drinking wine, have some say about things, and letting stuff like art and making up pothead-tier thought experiments valid and appreciated professions.

now that was off of slavery and all, but we've got a lot of surplus going on atm and are certainly not managing anything similarly interesting.

jeff koons and malcom gladwell spends more extreme nacho surplus leisure in one hour than a greek philosopher would in a lifetime

ultimately there is lots of surplus thinking, but it doesn’t have the benefit the greeks had, which is novelty

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

I am not a poker player and I know I would absolutely die at that table (so would never agree to play on tv, lol) but I’m amazed how brutally bad jason’s energy is there at every point.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

4lokos basilisk posted:

so who/what pays for the development of firefox and what are their incentives? because as far as i can tell, it's a non profit funded by ??? which means that at some point a tough decision has to be made between enshittening and losing competent browser devs to apple-google-microsoft

mostly funded by an enormous check from the developer of their main competitor

check is based on how much traffic they deliver

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

canyoneer posted:

i thought kyle was the teen boy who punches holes in drywall, plays a lot of video games and drinks only energy drinks

and occasionally wears nitrile gloves and carries an ar15 into civil protest

a kyle pretends to be a cop, a kevin calls the cops

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Jabor posted:

you missed the bit where the plaintiffs lawyers submit supposed copies of this nonexistent case law to the court, which is the huge whoopsiedoodle

like if they'd just realized "hey, our case law doesn't seem to exist, let's just give opposing counsel the w and submit a filing that we couldn't find this poo poo either", they probably could have walked away pretty clean. instead they doubled down on it and it's going to end badly for them.

also there’s an affidavit from the dude who did the chatgpt and it’s basically ‘whoops thought this was real sorry bro’ and the judge replies with a bunch of new “I’m gonna gently caress you up” charges to the submitter and his firm (also ps I can gently caress you up even if you’re not officially under my jurisdiction)

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

yep. i think most people see it somewhere between "this is like google, but it always gives you the answer you're looking for, so convenient" and "this is an artificial intelligence that knows everything about everything."

this is what happens when you let engineers ("engineers") release poo poo out into the world without doing any ethical, psychological, human factors, or safety analysis on what they've built.

:eng101: "this thing you've made is neat, but how is an untrained user likely to use it? are there improper or unacceptable uses? what happens if they use it in those ways? how could the system be misused out of ignorance, and would doing so have negative outcomes? what are the foreseeable risks of this technology?"

:goleft: "i don't care"

google nuked their entire ai ethics team because jeff dean didn’t appreciate the most milquetoast ‘maybe don’t boil the ocean’ critique

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

BMan posted:

hey, it only took them a few decades to mostly ban leaded gas

sagebrush doing cessna loops over the valley is praxis

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

I’ve said it before but it is a useful reminder that even the yospos cliche that the only crime that matters is stealing money from rich people isn’t true if you are in the right social class

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

didn't this exist? or was it just reviews?

also reminder that some guy tried to go shill bitcoin to sex workers and got absolutely slammed

fosta/sesta killed most of that, just like it also got sex workers killed

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

the reddit problem, in two parts

1. its just a forum, and running a forum is a high stress, low margin job, even with volunteers. they don’t have a pervasive web/app embedded* tracking network that makes Facebook money. there’s no profitable exit for the billion dollars of VC on revenue from buying awards. spez crying ‘they’ve never been profitable’ is a red herring when being profitable has never been a primary metric

2. real content has incredibly high value in the age of gpt but investor storytime requires constant user and content growth. we’ve already seen making fake gpt German subs and users. if anorexia hotline charity has already tried chatbots, gpt is 100% reddit’s future. reddit was on a death countdown the day the first “google only works for site:reddit.com topic” article went up.

if they were competent they have the data to understand who uses the apps, who generates the content, and who sees the ads. maybe they do? getting a tiny fraction of users on mobile to see more ads and get app embed tracking data doesn’t seem like a win though.

* chatgpt killing the web is gonna kill web interest tracking, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

you have investors who have given you a billion dollars. you’re currently valued at $5b.

say you charge the top 10k reddits $10k/year. and they all pay. congratulations, you have half the revenue of stitch fix, which has a market cap of $500m.

hubbell is a electrical switches manufacturer. they’re considered overvalued at $16b. they had 1.29 billion of revenue last year. just charge every top 10k sub $100k a year ezpz.

taking a billion in cash to run a forum is a good grift but set some of that aside for a professional comms team