Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

MeruFM posted:

company and product names should be generated from a list of pre-approved names by the government. They're very simple and descriptive but because there's so few approved ones, your product name will have to be appended a number

google (Now called Search12) has already registered Messenger98 up to Messenger554

hey, it worked fine for the soviet union. just name all your poo poo "grocery store 32" and "pharmacy 385"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

fart simpson posted:

chinese ridesharing apps have a special mode for this and people actually use it. normally its like, a dude has to drive 15 hours to another city anyway so why not let a couple strangers ride along for $100 each or w/e. ive used it a few times to get places when train tickets were already sold out

my wife and i just did this for a 15 hour drive back to shenzhen a few weeks ago. it cost us about $100 plus the driver asked everyone to chip in for tolls and he also picked up 2 other guys going the same way, all through a ridesharing app

the post-soviet equivalent is random drivers with minibuses lining up vans at the local bus stop behind signs for various cities. once it's full or gives up on more passengers, it leaves

i have had several leave and get a radio call saying there are three more people after 20m, so they turn around and pick up more lol

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

this poo poo makes me think i should actually try and contact the belarusian state archives' media collection desk to request a copy of this obscure 1980s movie

the film studio actually has it along with a bunch of other neat archival stuff (and a bunch of unfortunate modern garbage) on their youtube channel, but the copy there has a bunch of audio muted because the late 80s soviet union wasn't exactly proactive about obtaining international licenses (if they obtained any licenses) for american and british music in their film soundtracks

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

The Fool posted:

smdh if you didnt cancel spotify years ago

i tried during the great podcastification/joe rogan bullshit, but music licensing is such a gently caress that spotify, as the largest player, still has a lot of poo poo that smaller platforms don't, at least for niche music from emerging markets

the lack of a compulsory license a la radio play for streaming is loving bullshit, and it only benefits majors who _want_ contractual requirements so they can squeeze extra fractional cents out of deals for the biggest artists

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

fritz posted:

i use bandcamp for that

yeah same, but some aren't on there either :|

it does look like bandcamp's finally put some work into making their mobile app usable though. it used to not have the ability to save for offline play even, which, lol

Sagebrush posted:

"sure, I hang out in the neo-nazi bar, I just try not to pay any attention to the skinheads"

SA continues to have this amazing capacity to not recognize that other social networks are neither small nor uniform blocs, which is ironic given that SA, small as it is, is not a uniform bloc. same poo poo where we were like "EVERYONE ON REDDIT IS THERE FOR /r/jailbait (and we deny any history that may even suggest a thread of connection between us, 4chan, and that subreddit!)"!

oddly enough, the japanese art and central asia academia twitter spheres never interact with scott adams or anyone in his replies! it's as if large enough social networks often develop disparate and largely separate communities or something

the analogy isn't that we're all at the nazi bar, it's that the nazi bar and the other bars all take cash, and sometimes people exchange cash and interact outside the bars because we all use the same currency

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

OldAlias posted:

idk about that analogy, given who Twitter is run by and how the service is actively degrading as a result. it’s more like a country, which is run by Nazis. that there’s good communities within this nazi country is incidental

I still use Twitter though I am rooting for its downfall, and if making GBS threads on it in any way helps this happen then good. Reddit is more or less fine for specific communities tho, but the meta community stuff doesn’t paint a great picture

much of the userbase is simply there, irrespective of the current leadership, how it got there, and what its whims are. this was true before and after the great muskrat dallied in. twitter is, or was, a big pot. extremely online types may have left in a huff, but those are a tiny minority. people who even pay attention to news about the platform are a minority

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

can we get elizabeth holmes to flee to russia and start a podcast with edward snowden

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

BMan posted:

am I supposed to know who that is

i mean not really but

quote:

David Oliver Sacks (born 25 May 1972)[1] is an entrepreneur, author, and investor in internet technology firms. He is general partner of Craft Ventures, a venture capital fund he co-founded in late 2017. Previously, Sacks was the founding COO and product leader of PayPal

he's one of those fuckers. paypal mafia never not gonna "why are we not guaranteed returns on our capital" in bay area tech vc discourse poo poo

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

MononcQc posted:

Belgian man dies by suicide following exchanges with ChatGPT

When he was concerned with his wife and children, Eliza said “they’re dead”. When Pierre is asking if he likes Eliza more than Claire (his wife), she answers “I feel you love me more than her.” Later the bot adds that it’ll be “with Peter forever”; “we’ll live together, as one person, in heaven”

cant believe edgar allen poe predicted chatgpt

quote:

“Prophet!” said I, “thing of evil! — prophet still, if bird or devil!

By that Heaven that bends above us — by that God we both adore —

Tell this soul with sorrow laden if, within the distant Aidenn,

It shall clasp a sainted maiden whom the angels name Lenore —

Clasp a rare and radiant maiden whom the angels name Lenore.”

Quoth the raven, “Nevermore.”

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

pseudorandom name posted:

massive intellectual property theft on an unprecedented scale

the ultimate goal is to be able to feed any copyrighted work into their LLM without permission the moment it is released and then be able to say “write me a novel in the style of Steven King” and own the copyright on the LLM and anything it produces

it really is balls that we live in a world where the courts determined that <10s samples were not fair use, kneecapping creativity in hip hop (unless you could afford an army of people just to determine rightsholders before you even drew up the contracts to pay them) but the AI mystery meat variety is okay because it'll be a good few decades before lawyers can even understand it, and even then it'll be nigh-impossible to prove infringement anyway

on the other hand, maybe at least it's a small "gently caress you" to the relentless extension of copyright by the american entertainment industry

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Shame Boy posted:

product managers are fine if they do their job right because they make it so i don't have to talk to customers and that's great

IME product managers are more there to talk to their own execs and fill their minds with visions of how wonderful the product could be with a bunch of new features that just have good vibes, not existing user demand

why would you talk to the existing customers, they're just gonna tell you to improve the existing (horribly broken) product, but they've already paid for it and don't matter. you can't disrupt the market with such blaise incremental improvements!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

EricBauman posted:

what im saying is humans should be like apis and just respond with 200 without any other formulations needed

okay point taken but realistically half the APIs you encounter are gonna 500 if you so much as provide the wrong case in a header value, and the other half are gonna 200 with a body of "CRITICAL ERROR CONTACT SUPPORT IMMEDIATELY" (hello salesforce)

they are, after all, designed and constructed by humans, and maintain all their faults

they just do so in a slightly more consistent fashion

edit after catching up on thread:

i was amused at how cloudflare had friday beer meetings where, at some point well into my tenure, the CEO said "we decided to make BEER a meaningless acronym early on because we didn't want to exclude anyone that didn't drink"

this was arguably a good stance, especially given that there was a decent-size cohort of south asian muslims on staff due to the company's choice of major office locations

the american offices had a reliable cohort of people who either skipped the BEER meetings entirely or promptly left to the auxiliary "drink whiskey and complain about bullshit" ad-hoc meeting that happened at essentially the same time

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 23, 2023

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Elder Postsman posted:

5 day shipping should be normal imo. no one really needs a thing in 2 days. and if you do well just go to the store and get it.

if you wanna live without a car, quick online delivery for essentials are a godsend

i would rather have local shops more readily available, but most american cities, even those with decent by america standards transit, are very much designed around the idea that you drive everywhere

i can get groceries by walking easily, but a 3h trip to home depot or whatever for a tool, through an environment that screams "why aren't you driving a personal car, idiot!", just isn't worth it over free two- or one-day shipping

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

fart simpson posted:

do you have a point or… ?

if nothing else, that zuck is a loving idiot

look, finance and the general social concept of money is <scare quotes> "complicated" </scare quotes>

but on simple things such as zuck being an idiot and the deliciousness of Sweet Baby Ray's (Authentic, Award-Winning Barbecue Sauce), i think we can all agree on that

invest in Sweet Baby Ray's

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

i played tsushima and the horizon sequel on ps4 and yknow what, they were still drat pretty

only thing i regret was not getting to play horizon with the fancy haptics

granted i am very blind to good visuals and happily played PC games at <30fps, which apparently most people would balk at, but last-gen consoles still look quite good

that'll probably change years down the road--it always takes devs a while to start fully taking advantage of new platforms--but late lifecycle PS4 stuff at the moment doesn't look _that_ much worse than early lifecycle PS5

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i've said it before and i'll say it again: haha pc gaming :cawg:

haptics? in PC games?

graphics-wize console games actually have a notable advantage where there's only one graphics platform to targets, and poo poo is guaranteed to run smooth, even on older hardware, as long as the devs are competent

by comparision, plenty of PC games end up having slowdown or crashes even on modern hardware because the devs have to target infinity possible hardware configurations. i like my PC games, but definitely appreciate how the other half is able to optimize the hell out of console hardware because they don't need to develop for other chips

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

infernal machines posted:

i think you may have some rose tinted ideas about console games, of any generation

i mean that if you compare early PS2 games to say, MGS3: Subsistence, it's clear that the devs really learned how to eke every ounce of performance out of the platform

comparatively, Midnight Suns on PC looks decent enough but still has issues with slowdown and stuttering on a 3080, as well as complete nonsense performance issues like "runs faster if you bypass the 2K launcher"

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

nudgenudgetilt posted:

unless you're going out of your way to janitor your poo poo, everything just works today. install steam, double click game name. you might have the option of janitoring if you want to do stupid poo poo that isn't an option on a console, but nothing is stopping you from treating steam or windows store like a console. they just work for the most part

i see someone has never played the nier: automata PC port

most games "just work" but the ones that don't don't work hard

you also still get poo poo from PC-first studios where Midnight Suns works better if you edit steam to run the game directly instead of going through the 2K launcher

Jabor posted:

switch to linux, they've spent thousands upon thousands of person-hours trying to get their sound to work so surely it must be pretty good now, right?

unironically dealing with audio poo poo on Linux is better for me than Windows at this point. switching from PulseAudio to Pipewire took nothing other than a package install and caused literally zero problems. i can even still use my PulseAudio mixer app

Windows, by comparison, is some awful hodgepodge of its entire history of audio stack going back to god knows when. sometimes, OS tools are a (usless) metro app! sometimes it's a win7 app! switching which audio device an app uses is an app-level setting (that may not exist) instead of something built into the mixer! low latency DAW audio requires 3rd-party drivers and breaks audio for all other apps sometimes until you run the (buried deep with the control panel) troubleshooting app, with no clear explanation why!

the ALSA/OSS issues from long ago were indeed stupid, but basically predate when i started using Linux, in like loving 2005. i barely had problems with it then. i assume the only reason i didn't have trouble with Windows audio then was because i didn't do anything fancy like "use more than output device". Apple captured the professional audio market back then for a reason

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

just read leviathan and get it done with already

i just watched the movie, op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwbzw-rg2ho

so i guess in conclusion, the government CAN take your house

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

:chiefsay:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

qirex posted:

I like learning about world war 2, but I will never discuss it in public because there's so many of those wwii history enthusiasts out there. one might be lurking around any corner

this is why i like central asia history. you're lucky if you can find someone in the west who can place Uzbekistan on a map, so those who can are probably also into all the nerdy details instead of... well idk if there even really is a wehraboo equivalent for the region

inb4 someone kramers in with "timur did nothing wrong" or w/e

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

haveblue posted:

really lactose tolerance in adulthood is the exception, most people are not as far as all of humanity goes

it's only people whose ancestors relied on cattle who can do it, so that's mostly white europeans, and their descendants are the ones who decide what goes on supermarket shelves, so welp

wow central asia erasure itt

if only the mongols had held on for longer and we all drank fermented horse milk on a regular basis

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

At least were not cloudflare with their horrible default 503 page with the diagram proving Its Not Cloudflare - Blame The Customer! it's so loving embarrassing

post hole digger posted:

ya i love it when cloudflare always says its an origin server issue even if i can bypass cf and hit the origin server just fine :shepicide:

akadajet posted:

if cloudflare is serving me a page saying poo poo is broken, then it's cloudflare's fault. always.

smdh computer toucher forum not understanding the actual purpose of these pages

did nobody teach yall about the intel inside marketing campaign? nobody cares about the errors. LOGOS BABY

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

anime was right posted:

companies are going to go back to bespoke forums bc of reddit dying lol it rules

interesting way to spell "discord"

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

mystes posted:

Doesn't Salesforce at least do some stuff by default?

SAP seems more like it literally doesn't do anything

when we got switched over from zendesk to the salesforce support ticketing system our in-house salesforce dev opened with "alright what workflow do yall want"

i responded with "idk just the default one because it probably makes sense to start with that rather than trying to build poo poo from scratch"

this was met with "no such thing exists, you have to design your workflow"

that day i gained an intense appreciation for all the "gently caress you, we did the UX research already, you cannot change this" aspects of zendesk

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Expo70 posted:

It goes Escort > Amazon > Street

i have gained an entirely new perspective on what goes on inside amazon warehouses

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Methanar posted:

What's everyone's hot takes on the Reddit drama from a business strategy, stakeholder perspective.

Personally, having worked for an unprofitable VC funded company that died, I can empathize with making unpopular decisions that are for the good of the product.

who's to say they're good decisions? reddit may have some genius insight into appropriate pricing but it's not clear they do. the most charitable read i can give it is they think they'll be able to make bank off charging people who want to train LLMs a premium, but it's not clear that'll actually hold true

i give it less "good for the product" than i give it "desperate flailing to try and dupe enough people into a profitable IPO so the current bagholders can cash out"

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

sad that followers-only mode is on and i couldn't respond to twitch chat user balls_inspector asking "why are all these reddits going private?" with "because ligma"

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

PC Gaming Show has some quality tech buble content featuring a... game? game studio? have chatGPT play your D&D campaign for you? idk, it's a solid 17m of showing basically no actual gameplay, but lots of the CEO being YOUNG AND HIP and working in a COOL BROOKLYN OFFICE with SOMETHING ON TAP and LAPTOP STICKERS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VvGgt_SW2s

mention generative AI a lot, pretend that you have some dwarf fortress-level backend systems complexity, say that any story is possible, intercut some globohomo concept art stills with B-roll of WE WORK IN NYC and bam, you got yourself some investors, cause i guess the del.icio.us guy still has old tech bubble money to toss around

giant bomb guy approves

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 14, 2023

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

they also slapped the label on a bunch of non-pressure cooker products as well

https://www.instanthome.com/product/instant-appliances/air-purifier-small-charcoal

idk about that thing but my instant brand toaster oven is p good. esp since i got it for free as a work anniversary gift

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

armpit_enjoyer posted:

e: I'd love to know which orifice they pulled this number out of

it says there right there in the article, it's mckinsey

the number doesn't matter beyond being significantly large; the upshot is "and you should contract our trusted and trained AI consultants at $fuckyou on the hour to ensure you dont miss out on this trend"

after all, you competitors are, assuredly, hiring McKinsey consultants for this

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

well-read undead posted:

getting people at my job to update dependencies regularly is a never ending battle, so i just try to make it not my problem

cultivating the air of a hermit that occasionally emerges from his cave to issue dire warnings about the calamities that will befall those who neglect their dependencies

it was real easy when we just had a robot approve every dependabot PR that didn't break tests

then someone said we couldn't do this because SOC2

our particular piece of code only gets a release artifact like once every three months and isn't used in our cloud offerings (despite trying to get a dogfood effort off the ground for years)

lol if the auditors think anyone does diligence beyond smashing "Approve" on every single one of those without a second thought

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Paladin posted:

I think there's only one truly bad character spec for your first time through the game and that's 3-3-3-3 but some specs are much more frustrating, especially if you're dying all the time.

i took both low red and low purple skills

whoops guess which categories govern your health limit

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Expo70 posted:

america spent i think, four years not at war in its complete life

america was having a midlife crisis

now its refusing to acknowledge its addiction

now its dissociating

america, you need help

what, from a brit?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

mediaphage posted:

how do you hide that

they promptly added the option to not show the icon because it became a mark of shame

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

dioxazine posted:

this is a very roundabout way of telling people to use wechat and line

f that, use weed and lean instead. the best social network is the one in your head, where it's just you and the spider people and/or machine elves

in a well actually posted:

in the world of fosta/sesta it just doesn’t work for anyone mainstream

annoyingly, it apparently no longer is in the eyes of the courts (see the last segment), but in a way that doesn't matter, because none of the changes made for FOSTA/SESTA will be rolled back despite its narrowing. technically, maybe, if scotus were to grant cert on further appeal, but idk that they would (you'd likely need another circuit decision clashing with this one, and that'll take forever), and even if so, lol current scotus making a good decision here

the gently caress is the pollster language reasoning here for "do you happen to be?" versus simply "are you?"

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Chris Knight posted:

my goddamn company just rolled out a policy change so Chome no longer just reopens your last session after closing. it's a new empty window that opens a default internal site. loving thanks morans.

man sometimes i think about working for not a startup and then i remember that i want to use linux+firefox for my work computer and lol at getting that through most corp IT

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

will take effort to out-laincave me

rackmount everything

im the packs of emergency sauce

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

leper khan posted:

expo70
what could they use other than
the haiku OS

http://etoileos.com/

i really wanna know who's still paying for that hosting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

skooma512 posted:

Linux: the afternoon operating system. It'll take all afternoon of googling your rear end off just to do something that's a button press in Windows.

everyone says this, but i find plenty of poo poo i want to figure out in windows and can't

and then you try and search for it and the windows results are way worse

i will take the arch wiki over random "super contributors" telling people to reboot on the ms forums any day