Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

middle aged white dudes shut the gently caress up about human reproduction challenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I still don’t get what all the phrenology racist brainlords think should be done about the white birth “crisis,” I’ve never seen one of them advocate for making it less financially ruinous to have a kid, or for healthcare outcomes for pregnant people to improve

In fact it looks suspiciously like the exact system that makes people choose between having a career and a family and uses massive gender and age discrimination to disincentive babies is the one that made them all wealthy in the first place
:thunk:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

they go into their choice of eyeglass frames in the article even.

read if you want to be super bummed out

https://www.businessinsider.com/pronatalism-elon-musk-simone-malcolm-collins-underpopulation-breeding-tech-2022-11
I know about that but there will never be enough of those people to "solve" the population "problem." if the richest million families had 10 extra kids each over 10 years it still wouldn't do much of anything

I am keenly aware it's a rotten argument to its core I just don't get the point of it other than casual racism, it's infuriatingly nonsensical and I also don't get why so many valley tech weenises believe in it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

you'd think the literal elite would be aware that their status would be threatened if there were 20 million more dudes exactly like them out there

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the only way to a truly fair society is babies are randomly reassigned immediately after birth. if you have a baby you will get a baby within a week of giving birth. if you're lucky it might be the one with your genetics!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

that couple goes into how they are 'secular calvinists' i am not making this up

in this episode: the interview subjects' barely disguised fetish

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

classic tech bubble thread fav soylent is going to spend more time with its family getting fobbed off onto a random consumer brand holding company

quote:

And just who is Starco Brands? The public company, part of The Starco Group, creates and acquires consumer products like household cleaning, automotive and personal care items. It was started in 2010, then going by the name of Insynergy Products.

Insynergy went public in 2012 and changed its name to Starco in 2017. It was in that same year that it came out with its line of Breathe aerosol cleaning products. In December 2021, the company teamed up with singer Cardi B to launch one of its more popular brands, Whipshots, a vodka-infused whipped cream.

During the past six months Starco has been busy on an acquisitions tear, first acquiring Art of Sport, the athlete-inspired personal care brand co-founded by Kobe Bryant, in September. Then in January, Starco acquired fragrance creator Skylar. Soylent is its third acquisition in that time frame.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

geez you record one 45 minute podcast calling all black americans racist and promoting segregation you get canceled just like that

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there are some sensible chuckle level old dilberts, ie "here's a nickel, kid. get yourself a better computer" but that was nearly 30 years ago

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Elizabeth "theranos" Holmes has apparently had child number 2, it's gonna be super hosed up when those kids grow up and learn that they were had specifically to try and keep their mother out of jail

honestly not spending time around her is probably the only chance those kids have

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

y’all should look into this newfangled quilt technology

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

you know what's missing from today's zoom hellscape? A rotating robot head made up of five surplus cell phone displays
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4AFSSjGB3U

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's the future of human interaction*

*at least 10% of humans can't use it without literally vomiting, another non-trivial faction have ability differences and also can't

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

weird how the “facts don’t care about your feelings” posse gets sad when a bank does math bad

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

huh, it's almost like making borrowing money basically free for over a decade was a bad idea. it did make a handful of extremely lovely people unimaginably wealthy though so who's to say?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

is it possible there was more to it than just "oops, we continued to take deposits without ramping up debt sales for the last 2 years?"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

god I’m so glad the product I work on has a 55% margin and we’re owned by a boring east coast company who uses normal banks

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

https://twitter.com/bvaughan71/status/1634314885411622914?s=61&t=6FR0zjGNxQmkl5MtzAIFEg

quote:

Being at #SXSW during the #SVB meltdown is like being on vacation in Buenos Aires when Argentina won the World Cup, except the precise opposite in every way

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I bet a bunch of my company’s customers are using the new query tool I designed last year over the weekend, I should reach out to our relationship managers to get feedback

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Internaut! posted:

drat you too? it's been a long weekend, sorry about your luck!

nah I'm in good shape, we've just had slow uptake of a new feature that could be useful for reporting on bank debt

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

bob dobbs is dead posted:

no, i dont think so. lotta fuckin firewood there
there's some stuff on that chart that doesn't make sense like state street, aka, home of 10% of the entire global inventory of investable assets

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they mainly do the asset management thing but theyre the 15th biggest bank qua bank
yeah but with the kinds of customers they have less than a quarter mil in any account is an outlier

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shame Boy posted:

yeah that lady absolutely believes her constructed version of her life where she's somehow a blue collar CEO, i've met people like that before

iirc like 78% of Americans believe they are “middle class”

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's almost like running our whole rear end economy through a volatile stock exchange has some downsides :confused:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

this has a tinge of "says the only nation where this keeps happening"
there are plenty of nations where there's chronic financial instability, just none remotely close to our size or wealth

[also it's usually the cia causing it in the first place]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

someone needs to redo that scene for SVB with fart apps instead of houses. it’d be completely inaccurate but it’d be funny

and steve and betty, it's in their cannabis dispesary/acro-yoga studio!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

heard an interesting conspiracy theory at work [presented as such] that this may be the big banks basically disposing of regionals, I mean if they're not behind it they're definitely going to end up with all their assets and business

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Gnossiennes posted:

the layoffs will continue until performance improves??

sounds more like the layoffs will continue until 2-4 quarters after performance stops improving

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

frontrunning big orders is explicitly legal now and basically baked into the price the customer gets

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

citi had to get several billion in "help" from the saudi sovereign wealth fund over a year before the 2008 crisis. they really should have been allowed to go out of business but wachovia/wamu melting down made the government decide no more big consumer banks were going away and they got bailed out

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

considering how frequently international real estate is used to launder or stash illegally obtained or transferred money I always wondered how a policy of checking with the appropriate embassy when a foreign national wants to purchase property would shake out.

that would add exactly one step to the process, spending $500 to register abc investment company, llc as a shell corp

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

using real estate for money laundering props up value which raises property taxes so as long as they're not doing their crimes on the premises I think most municipalities will happily look the other way [see: most of west central london]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

that is not a condo, it's a co-op which means you have to go to the one bank [seriously there's only one] that does condo/tic jumbo mortgages and pay like 2x the interest rate

pretty much every 2br under 900k in sf has something "wrong" with it like a kilobuck+ hoa, it's a tenancy in common/co-op, unevictable tenant, etc. ie this one which is built on the site of the navy base where they cleaned the ships off after bikini atoll and has one of the most severe cancer clusters in america

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

FMguru posted:

...or is located in a highrise built on landfill without a foundation so it is sinking and tilting! ( https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/millennium-tower-san-francisco-leaning )

you can't get a 2br in that building for 900 https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Francisco/301-Mission-St-94105/unit-7G/home/40138739

qirex fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 16, 2023

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

post hole digger posted:

i know a guy bought into a TIC with a group thinking theyd be able to convert them to condos and flip them, in SF, and it went about as well as youd expect.

tics are a very flawed solution to an actual problem, there needs to be some kind of better way for actual humans to share ownership of housing

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I am genuinely curious if any of the senior decision makers at svb will face any actual consequences since basically the only people harmed by this were its investors and they're the ones with some pull

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i mean the ceo already got away with it once before hopping over to svb so...

maybe he won't get invited to the good parties anymore? that's probably the actual worst thing that can happen to folks like that

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pseudorandom name posted:

the normal state of affairs was to attempt your search query on all of your favorite search engines and your list of favorite search engines changed week to week

google went from one of the search engines you use to the only search engine you use almost overnight

I worked at altavista while this was happening, I helped my boss make a deck proposing to buy google but the ceo was like “we can spend a quarter that much and get better results” [he was a Harvard cokebro and did not know what he was doing as av did not exist as an independent entity 18 months later]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

FCKGW posted:

The Snap Spectacles is a little surprising considering Snap still sells them

https://www.spectacles.com

snap had to eventually write down like 9 figures of inventory on the first model

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

haveblue posted:

facebook still bans you if you don't post under your real name, right

are they going to ban anyone whose metaverse avatar differs too much from their real appearance

it depends, I have a bunch of people who signed up with ridiculous names in the first place and now are afraid to change them and I think most of the marginalized folks who were getting mass reported are long gone from there