Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

one of my old professors published a book of IBM corporate posters a couple years ago and they're pretty cool tho. There are a couple of Paul Rand designs in it iirc, but the vast majority is non-randian

https://www.visualmemoranda.com/about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

when i got real depressed during 2020, my husband started a habit of cajoling me into making the bed with him every night, and we've kept it up and it's been a nice little thing for us to do together :unsmith:

so idk, i recommend making it a thing if you have a partner

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

we launder sheets weekly, and it's also much much easier to change out a fitted sheet with two people!

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

is a duvet cover a replacement for the flat sheet or do you use both?

we use a weird combo of flat sheet + weighted blanket + heated blanket on top. no duvet, although i have thought about getting one. i kinda miss having a big fluffy comforter, but a duvet cover would be easier to launder.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

mystes posted:

You don't have a cover on the weighted blanket?

nah, the cover it came with made it too slippery on the top sheet, so we just ditched it. tbh i'd rather have a big fluffy comforter than a weighted blanket, but my husband likes the weighted more. maybe i should look for like, a twin xl-sized duvet just for myself. 🤔

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

my sister bought me a funko pop for my birthday or something like a decade ago but I didn't know you were supposed to just keep it in the box or whatever, so now it sits on a shelf and falls over if a light breeze passes by.

gunplas are rad because the process of putting them together is soothing and fun. but i don't buy gunplas to speculate on their value increasing.

idk, i can't make fun of funko pops that much because many years ago, i spent like $100 on two yuri on ice nendoroids and they make me happy whenever i see em.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

OldAlias posted:

cute. anime figs are more respectable than funkos imo

lol i guess i could have gotten yuri on ice funkos instead

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Beeftweeter posted:

hmm i see

good thing climate change, wildfires, poor weather, heavy rains, or snowstorms haven't been happening in california

it's ok, the north bay area investment strategy has diversified into weed dispensaries!

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Broken Machine posted:

i wonder if part of that productivity boost after the layoffs is from the remaining workers being scared into working faster, or at least making it appear that way, out of fear

probably at least a contributor

the layoffs will continue until performance improves??

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

15 people to write internal blog posts
15 people to make the internal podcast
10 managers
4 designers to make the graphics for the internal blog posts and internal podcast episode thumbnails
2 designers making ??? assets
2 social media managers
1 IT support staff
1 scrum master

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

i had big agoraphobia issues and dropped out in my mid teens, but my last ditch effort to stay in school was me trying to get approval to transfer to the "alternative school" which was basically just a GED pipeline for teen moms and kids who got caught with drugs. i got denied because of my truancy lol. it took three more years to get my GED.

i get mad when i think about my public schooling experiences because it just feels like a cavalcade of failures from all adults around me. i also did AT/GT classes in elementary/middle school but i stopped having any interest it in once people stopped telling me i was smart for my age lol.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

bob dobbs is dead posted:

wasnt sam bankman fried, the ftx guy, famous for abusing some extremely hipster stim

no, it was emsam (transdermal selegiline), which is an maoi that metabolizes into pretty minuscule amounts of amphetamine and methamphetamine alongside selegiline metabolites. because it's a fairly arousing/activating antidepressant, it can be used as a slightly effective treatment for adhd, sometimes, but it's main use is as an antidepressant.

it's expensive as poo poo but it's a pretty effective antidepressant, and safer than past maois because it has less dietary restrictions for tyramine-containing foods.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

re: adhd brains: this seems like a decent use of a chatbot: https://goblin.tools/

also putting in a real task that i need to get done, it actually did break it down into decent and realistic tasks (which can also be input and broken down further), which is like a good 80% of my issues with adhd, so that's kinda cool.

Achmed Jones posted:

i dont much care for suicide jokes

:yossame:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Achmed Jones posted:

there needs to be an stfu button and if a high enough percentage of readers hit it in the first hour the post is up, the author gets a sixer. it'd be a terrible feature and everyone would be probed all the time, but it'd be really funny for a couple days (and then rolled back)

isn't that basically just a report tho

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

i've played a shameful amount of mobile games, but my favorites are these two games called I love hue & i love hue 2, which are games about putting squares of color in order.

so you go from this, to this:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

i'm trying to ~learn to code~ with some beginner stuff so i can see if i actually like it enough to pursue further and it makes me feel like a big dumb idiot because i barely know what these words mean and also math is hard

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

to be honest, i kind of like skyline chili and variants of cincinnati chili, but overall i just think chili on spaghetti is fuckin delicious, and that it's better done with better chili than skyline.

similarly, i will also gladly eat a can of stagg chili from costco on some spaghetti plus some diced onions and cheddar and sour cream. :hai:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

the worst (aesthetically) product i ever designed got put on the corporate ppt template for like 3 generations of corporate ppt templates as the placeholder image and i loving hated that ugly piece of poo poo

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

we always had a beer or drink or two at former company off-site lunches, and wine and beer was always served at any company functions (and a separate weekly friday afternoon beer'o'clock event staffed by employee bartenders), but i also live in ~wine country~ so booze is nbd.

however i grew up in dry counties in the bible belt, so i am terminally uncomfortable with public drinking. i wasn't forced to have a beer or anything, but i kinda avoided going to events because it felt like drinking was compulsory lol

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

haveblue posted:

the actual google graveyard

someone should sneak in and place a lot of tombstones

https://i.imgur.com/jJmu2mV.mp4

it should be similar to this

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

ngl i would gladly live in that house

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Grace Baiting posted:

that last one looks like a cute frowny face at an angle :3:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

qirex posted:

“full stack” generally means “the dev team plays hot potato with the ui development until the most junior person loses who then makes a Gordian knot of free react components and super brittle sass”

question on this:
i am working on learning ~programming~ because i'm kind of a mediocre designer over all, but i like UI design and had thought previously that i would maybe focus on visual UI design. however, i've been enjoying the programming learning, even though I'm kind of a dummy overall.

is there work to be found if you like idk, enjoy making UI libraries and stuff?

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

rotor posted:

??

you mean like “are there UI engineering jobs?” because if so yes.

i mean, i've met UX engineers, but i've never met a UI engineer. but then again, my last job didn't even have UI designers on staff (only UX/HCI engineers and some front-end developers), so ya know, my experience may not count for much here.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

qirex posted:

visual design is all but dead as a career, but those skills are super useful to ahve because your average front end dev or ux designer knows basically nothgin

there's plenty of jobs working on frameworks, it's usually inside large boring companies doing low visibility work but it's definitely a thing. we just hired someone to do it. most bug enterprise applications are just librariy components with customizations but any big enough company needs folks to do that. the challenge is finding those roles

yeah i was kinda surprised when i realized the UX engineers i worked with had basically zero training on visual design or aesthetics. and the developers couldn't see obvious things like needing to align text boxes or keep consistent padding or margins. it bugged the hell out of me.

idk, i'm fine with low visibility work, i'm fine with boring companies overall, i just ya know, want a job that pays and that i'm not painfully mediocre at.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

the best biscuit is the kind that has a sorta lackluster breakfast sausage patty and a packet of grape and/or strawberry jelly

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

sorry yall thems the rules

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

the best biscuits i've made at home have definitely been those weird bags of frozen biscuits, but i don't think i've seen them in california. also never order biscuits and gravy here, it's always terrible. i don't get it, sausage gravy isn't loving hard, but it's like they just make a lumpy roux and crack pepper over it for two seconds. disgusting

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

yeah exactly, it's sausage gravy, white roux w/ breakfast sausage. like there's variations and different places make them differently, but it shouldn't have a wildly different taste :confused:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

my FIL preferred tomato gravy with biscuits tho, which i wasn't a huge fan of. only person i've ever met who liked that tbh.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

until the folding phone can do screen on all sides and fold into a cube like those photo cube swag toys i don't want it

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

i designed basically this for a project when i was in college. it's definitely the best form factor

i remember seeing an animation of a phone concept in college, that was like, idk a slap-bracelet but a screen, and the idea is that you would unroll it and unfold it hotdog-style to be a fullsize phone.

and i managed to refind it; it was nokia's morph concept from 2008 lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX-gTobCJHs

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

is there a name worse than catbox.moe? i feel like i'm getting put on a list anytime i see one of those

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

gnossiennes

excuse me have you ever even heard the gnossiennes??? (no 5 is my fave)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7kvGqiJC4g

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

quote:

Correction: March 30, 2023 — An earlier version of this story misstated the number of job listings on LinkedIn for prompt engineers. A LinkedIn spokesperson earlier told Insider there were 708, but corrected that number to 15. The sentence has been removed from the story.

lol

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Midjack posted:

it's that long double o sound, that automatically makes a word 20% funnier:

goof
poop
spooky
loop
goop
loo
boo
spooge

agreed altho ding dong and dingo and dingus are my choiciest. anything with the "ding" sound it in really. dingleberry, dingledangle, dingarino, ding dong dipshit is my fave tho

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

mediaphage posted:

smaller more focused communities can’t find people around the region duder let alone those around the world. niches within larger social media apps can collect the social long tail

yeah, exactly. fun fact: a good 80% of my knowledge about trans surgery stuff is from a trail of facebook groups, in increasing niche-ness. From like, general ftm groups, medical-transition groups, specific-surgery groups, specific-surgery-plus-specific-surgery-techniques groups, specific-surgery-plus-specific-technique-PLUS-specific-surgeon groups.

but without facebook, that group just straight up doesn't exist. maybe you have some people sharing info on tumblr or twitter or something, but at least the facebook group has means of filtering people out when they join lol.

but it also still requires that kind of obscurity from needing to follow those trails to those more and more specific groups.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Shame Boy posted:

all the trans people i know use discord for that poo poo now

yeah well i gave up on every getting that specific surgery a couple years ago so maybe all that stuff is discord now, but i still get facebook notifications about those groups :shrug:

idk if trans fem spaces skew younger and discordier, but most of the trans masc people i talk to are in the 30s-40s or older and are distressingly firmly facebook

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Eeyo posted:

thanks for sharing, i would have naively thought facebook would be a terrible place for that kind of stuff. but i guess the ubiquity helps out here, when everyone has an account it's easier to network into the niche spaces.

unfortunately this works on the other side too. i watched a youtube series of a psychologist going through and criticizing/debunking/commenting on shrier's irreversible damage and i remember her talking about the increasingly niche terf facebook groups. like there's the "my daughter wants to transition into a man and this is hard" all the way down to terf hate groups where they just say abhorrent poo poo. so like there's different rings of discourse and you can just pull yourself down into the hate well.

what sucks is that it's essentially the same system. the systems are used slightly differently, tho -- on the trans side, they're used to keep people out unless they're serious about it, or have proof that they have gone through the consultation process, proof of having seen a certain surgeon, etc. whereas the terf groups are (i assume??) used to keep people out until they reach a certain "level" of trust in the terfiness, i guess?

but it's still levels of niche-ness, and when people advertise those more-niche facebook groups on the less-niche groups for surgical procedures, etc, they drive engagement in the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

dilate your pupils to say mcdonalds