Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
well gently caress i never realized that was why it bothered me, but i'll be damned (e: the non-eye smile, the lower teeth)

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

teeth-smiling in photographs or portraits wasn't common historically at least

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Achmed Jones posted:

you hold a smile for eight hours while some nerd with a brush paints a picture and tell me how it goes

at the end of my wedding photos i remember my mouth hurting from smiling for so long

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i kiss in a big bed with my wife

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

guys stop trying to catch bob dobbs in an argument trap or whatever. he is giving all the fun stories from stanford classes for free. let him post them

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

stocks without dividends/buybacks would be shitcoins. no intrinsic value, just a greater fool speculation game

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

yes exactly i am agreeing with you :)

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

the whole point of owning a stock (equity) in a company is that it entitles you to a portion of the company's profits. otherwise you don't own anything, there is no investment vehicle, just a piece of paper that says "aapl" on it

dividends and buybacks are the mechanism by which the profits are returned to stockholders

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

a bank account pays interest. a house does not pay interest. but a house is not just a financial asset, it has intrinsic value, because it is a house. you can live in it. the intrinsic value of a stock is literally defined to be the net present value of its future cash flows. when you buy the stock, you may be mainly just hoping that its price will go up, not that you will receive dividends. that is fine, but the reason the stock has a price at all is because of those dividends/buybacks

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

rotor posted:

no? the whole point is that i can sell the piece of paper that says “aapl” on it for twice what i paid for it.

why can you do that though? stocks don't always just go up you know. what if you can only sell the piece of paper for half what you paid for it?

you expect that the piece of paper will be worth more because you are betting on the future business prospects of aapl. that's why you bought aapl and not some random penny stock

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

you could say, no, this is completely disconnected from the business of apple inc, it is just a piece of paper, and this happens to be a popular piece of paper. in that case,

DELETE CASCADE posted:

stocks without dividends/buybacks would be shitcoins. no intrinsic value, just a greater fool speculation game

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

rotor posted:

anyway like yeah it would change the dynamics of the economy a lot yeah, but “that would be the revolution?” naw

it would literally be the revolution because this is finance 101 level basic operation of capitalism. sorry but bob dobbs is right as usual

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

rotor posted:

yes i agree. Is this supposed to be a rebuttal of something or are we just postin?

to agree with the post you just quoted is to agree with our entire line of argument

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i like postin a lot but even i wouldnt go far as sayin im "usual"ly right

if not right, at least insightful :shobon:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

maybe they don't now, but they will in the future when their growth slows. or some other company will buy them, which is essentially a buyback, but typically with an extra premium. this is the entire reason that the stock has a price at all

i mean at this point all i can do is tell you to pick up a finance textbook from the library and read chapter 1

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

ADINSX posted:

Stocks also represent ownership/control of the company unless they’re non voting shares right? So even if a company never bought back it’s own stock that would be valuable

the only truly binding thing you can do with those voting rights is to gather a majority to take over the board of directors. cool, now y'all own the entire company and can hire different people to manage it if you like, or run it yourselves. but how are you going to get the money out? you're doing this because of the money, right?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

you can disagree with what i'm saying, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but i am not saying anything controversial

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Improbable Lobster posted:

cool is there some kind of law or regulation that means that companies have to either do a buyback or dividends

of course not, but if you know they never will, why would you buy the stock? why would anyone buy the stock from you, not only for more than you paid, but for any price at all? how is "the stock" even connected to the performance of the company in any meaningful way?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

ADINSX posted:

I’m not disagreeing with you that buybacks and dividends give stock value, I’m just also saying that a portion of control of a company is also valuable.

That control would be valuable to other companies that might want to buy the company.

you are correct, although the prevalence of dual class stock with inflated voting rights doesn't seem to bother investors that much. voting rights are definitely worth something > 0, but for most stable companies the premium isn't a lot

i think voting is especially interesting in our current situation where most stock is owned via mutual funds or etfs, so that vanguard and blackrock etc are major shareholders of everything. but they provide mostly index funds, they can't sell the stock if they don't like management. voting is their only recourse

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

^ i mean, that all sounds pretty fun to say, but none of it is true

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Improbable Lobster posted:

ask the people buying obviously worthless stock like bed bath and beyond

beyond the previously mentioned insane people, who is buying? the stock is worth 20 cents, having lost 98% of its value over the past year. and it'll lose another 98% this week

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

money is a social construct, but you aren't getting a stock market without constructing it

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

if your job is to write 50 cold-outreach sales emails per day, chatgpt is coming for your job

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

mystes posted:

I think not paying attention and not being able to take over is going to be way more of a problem with current self driving systems than losing driving experience.

Hopefully Tesla's system will get regulated out of existence eventually, and realistically, self driving systems that aren't able to operate safely in all conditions should refuse to operate except in conditions where they know they can operate safely and can come to a stop if needed before the driver needs to take over.

This should mean that the self driving systems only operate in optimal conditions (e.g. daytime highway driving in good weather) and I don't expect that that would affect drivers' ability that much because that kind of driving is pretty straightforward and drivers probably don't need to spend a lot of time practicing it constantly.

we're never going to get actual level 5 "self driving" cars. ever. what we'll get are increasingly advanced driver assistance systems like lane keeping and adaptive cruise control. they will handle your boring rear end highway driving for the most part, but when any real judgment is required, it's gonna beep beep beep and over to you

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i've said it before and i'll say it again: haha pc gaming :cawg:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

gaming habit seems harmless next to booze habit, drug habit, gambling habit...

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

infernal machines posted:

what would be the point? it's sf, the street is your toilet

you know i never thought about this before but, as a person with ibs, this is somewhat comforting. if i need to take a poo poo and i can't find a bathroom, i can just drop trou and blast diarrhea all over the street!

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

mystes posted:

I think the problem is that figuring out whether it's actually necessary to stop for an emergency vehicle is non-trivial. If you just program the cars stop whenever they hear sirens or sees flashing lights, they will end up stopping and getting stuck all the time when that wasn't necessary, and people won't accept that.

This probably connects to the general problem with self-driving technology now: it can really only work reliably in certain limited situations, but it's hard to even define what those situations are, and if you require self driving cars to only operate in situations where they can guarantee they will be safe and will have time to pull over and stop before it becomes unsafe, they will work in such limited situations as to not be very useful.

The correct solution is to recognize that if the cars can't operate under those restrictions, they aren't safe to use at all, but instead everyone uses the dubious logic that self driving cars do work correctly a lot of the time, and human drivers make mistakes too, so no big deal. However, if you compare across similar conditions rather than doing an apples to oranges comparison, self driving cars are almost certainly much worse than human drivers, and they also fail in ways that are unpredictable and not like human drivers, such as this type of case, and that in itself makes them more dangerous.

this is a categorical issue. driving is inherently very dangerous, and we only accept this because a human can be blamed when it goes wrong. we just call it an "accident" and that's that, nobody takes a step back to evaluate the system as a whole, because accepting that we are risking our lives every time we go to the grocery store is too psychologically traumatic. a true self-driving car (level 5, no human assistance) can't have accidents, it needs to be perfect or its maker will be sued. this perfection is simply impossible to achieve on our roads as they exist today. turning the safety dial all the way up paralyzes the self-driving car and makes it useless. the only solution involves major infrastructure improvements, which will never happen in america, and hell if we're making that level of investment and change, we could do better than individual passenger cars...

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

it eliminates the appealing case for capitalists too. you can't have a corporate-owned autonomous taxi that just drives itself around looking for fares

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

american road signs are extremely better than euro signs

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i got that symmetric gigabit fiber from sonic :getin:

actually it's resold at&t fiber. but sonic has a bulk purchase agreement so i get the full speed and no bandwidth/consumption limits, plus i never have to call at&t

DELETE CASCADE fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 3, 2023

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

they should raise it even more

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

actually, owning property is different than leasing it, because as the owner you are responsible for all the poo poo that goes wrong!

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i have an ipad signed by woz

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Jonny 290 posted:

we had this insane $3b cut and cover project to sink like 1/4 mile of i70 in denver and there's not even enough cover/tunnel to get a good rev on a loud car. like you're better off driving through the coors factory

absolute waste

good, loud cars can get hosed. revving your engine in the tunnel? nobody thinks you're cool buddy :rolleyes:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

rotor posted:

when i retire i'm gonna get a job as a cop and the only thing i will do is hand out tickets to anything loud enough to set off car alarms, and also to people who have car alarms that can be set off by loud noises.

droppin bombs on your moms, gently caress car alarms

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

look at meeeee my engine makes noise! look at me! look at me. LOOK AT ME.

powerful engines are cool. but it's not 1970, the engine doesn't need to be that loud to be powerful

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i can't wait until 50 years from now when young people have completely lost the connection between "this car is loud" and "this car is fast and therefore cool". they'll see it the way you see a coal roller. "what the gently caress, you're polluting for no good reason, stop that. no i don't care if YOU wanna see it, not cool"

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

the aging millennial sits in his corvette in the driveway, revving the engine. "daaaad time for dinner!" i'll be there in a minute son, i'm driving! "dad. you know you can't drive anymore. they took your license away 5 years ago" i know i know i'm not going anywhere, i just want to hear the VROOM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Jonny 290 posted:

Fun fantasy imaginary rear end world you live in tbqh

lol yeah you got me there