Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

except starfield

I get starfield, for "free" even

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have 2 gig down and 500 up and I don't even need that, have it because it's the only unlimited plan from the only isp in the area

i'd do something like 500/100 and be happy if it was offered without a data cap

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

that's weird, i've seen it in most every state i've driven a rural highway on

we have some of the ones that change to flashing red at night but we also have some of these bad boys:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

can you, really, like, own a hamburger

sure, after I commit violence and imprison it in my belly

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

unlike crypto there are some legitimate use cases for LLM's but good luck having a meaningful conversation about it or filtering out anything useful from all the grifters

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

that's a weird mixing of metaphors

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

also levar burton being able to do an episode with his daughter was cool

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the most interesting thing to me about the poker fad was how quickly it went away

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Internet Janitor posted:

every person i knew who played online poker would have 6 or 8 games in progress simultaneously, sometimes even more

my old cs prof would have 8 games going with everything tracked in an excel sheet so he could track the odds of each game

he also tracked player history so he had odds on weather or not a given player was likely bluffing, and a hunch of other stuff

The Fool fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 15, 2023

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Internet Janitor posted:

mozilla is funded by google, as a protective measure against hypothetical antitrust suits

pretty simple, really

it's pretty funny imo, something like 90% of the foundations money comes from the googles search deal

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My current personal laptop was my work laptop at my old job and they let me keep it when I left, I've since updated to windows 11 and still don't get any of the ad stuff or the dumb pre-installed apps

So having pro + whatever the endpoint guys at my old job did works?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Eeyo posted:

i don't mind the silk soy yogurt, never tried the other kinds.

i wonder if there will be a wave of plant-based cheese companies like there were with plant-based meats a few years ago. like they've pretty much cracked ground beef, so maybe cheese and eggs are next.

there have been reasonable plant based cheeses around for a while

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

I spend $20/year on a shopping list app because the features it has are worth it. we no longer end up wasting money and throwing out food by buying too much

which one

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

thx

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

current long running solution is to text my wife before I go to the store with everything I plan on getting, then checking our text history while i'm at the store

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

And considering they're on of openai's largest investors

They're just paying themselves

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

infernal machines posted:

i see a lot of instant pots at the thrift store these days. i'm vaguely tempted to get one, but then i realize i have a perfectly functional rice cooker and i cook everything else on the stove already, so it's not clear what it would do beyond occupy counter space.

I havent used my instant pot since I got a nice rice cooker

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

beans quinoa and steel cut oats all work in the rice cooker, anything else I used the instant pot for can be done in a dutch oven just as easily

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

i want to get a lil battery powered esp32 board with an eink display and put it by my front door and set it up to show me the weather

yeah i have that on my home screen on the phone in my pocket but then i have to take that out and unlock it and that's effort

do you not have windows

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

alternatively: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...Xjci2JZYqHH3Dr8

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Internet Janitor posted:

the business model is exactly the same as SA's business model, but compared even to this crumbling hulk of a forum, reddit is comically ineffectual at making money from users

The SA innovation that no one else seems to want to copy is being able to buy av's for other people.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

what do we think about ipfs

it crashes my router

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

haveblue posted:

doesn’t it also have the BitTorrent property that if there isn’t at least one person explicitly dedicating resources to a particular object then it’s not obtainable?

all file distribution services have this problem?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

qirex posted:

they're not exploits they're just very specific prompts that lead to powerful outcomes

they're spells, we've reinvented magic spells

I always thought plangs in general missed a step by not having more in common aesthetically with alchemy and magic

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

posting to get past the jonny page
before jonny sees it

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

lmao

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

rotor posted:

if the moon is gonna be made of cheese id like it to be taleggio plz

taleggio nights

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Eeyo posted:

carbon fiber

this was one of the wildest facts about the sub construction when I first heard it, holy poo poo

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

yeah, that episode is full of bangers

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

this is one of my favorite jokes in the whole series

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

it reads like they're trying to ape the gamep rear end / ps+ model but known they don't have enough of a library to last people more than a month if they did it right

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Expo70 posted:

so I just discovered the yesterweb and neocities

no idea if you guys know about this stuff, but zoomers have started making websites and getting off social media, and alphs are also very big on this

this is absolutely a wonderful palette cleanser when you get stressed over enshittification or the state of the internet

seeing it has huge "the kids are ok" energy

i love this

have you met hbag

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

infernal machines posted:

time makes fools of us all

yeah

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

doesn't miss

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

thank you yosfriends for letting me absorb this kinda poo poo organically instead of having to care enough to look for the info myself

it's shocking how many random bits of knowledge I have aquired this way. My professional career is almost entirely built on it

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

PIZZA.BAT posted:

eh i never pirate software because you have to trust that this random binary you're downloading off the internet

this is silly

raw dog strange binaries every day yolo

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

have you priced backstories lately, I'm not made of money

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

so, tips

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

tip your landlords and your managers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

in a well actually posted:

you pitched this to kevin smith, so it’s not like this is the first time the industry has heard of it

are you implying shame boy is responsible for wild wild west