Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
selling drugs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LanceHunter posted:

Man, if somebody could make an app like that which is able to reliably and verifiably track weightlifting workouts, you'd be a billionaire from gym bros around the planet trying to show off/out-compete one another.

stronglifts is good

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you buy stock to get richer. if you thought it would make you poorer, you would be less likely to do it. I think about this a lot

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

idk how robust this analogy is that im coming up with on the spot, but you can collect bottles of wine with the intent to sell them for more than you bought them for, and some people do exactly that. but that's not why the wine industry exists. if you couldnt drink it then that whole wine collectors market wouldnt really exist

counterpoint : funkopops

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
please just kiss and make up

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shame Boy posted:

speaking of lovely future smart garbage, i just found a UI bug in the fuckin' coffee machine at work, which has a touchscreen for no reason

they messed up the touch area for the back button so if you make a wrong selection at any point then you're just stuck with whatever you picked because hitting the back button hits different, adjacent buttons instead. it's not just a touch calibration problem either cuz the entire area of the button is affected, and everything else works perfectly fine

gently caress I hate digital displays for no reasons

my mum bought a space heater, and it has + and - buttons to change the temperature, except you have to hit "temp" first to make it so the + and - change the temp and not something else

when these people take an appliance with one setting that can be changed, and make you dig to get it ?? I am mad

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
every company knows how bad you smell

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shame Boy posted:

salesforce is software :evilbuddy:

nz govt appears to be using salesforce as the backbone of the covid vaccine portal and now the aotearoa immunisation record and word on the street is that salesforce aint cheap

fuckin neolib govts

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PIZZA.BAT posted:

please don’t do this

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have no less than three logins for managing being a vaccinator and they all use sales force

running a covid vaccinating clinic feels so incredibly shoehorned into salesforce, the amount of steps and windows to walk thru when doing a vaccine really harshes my vibe, and there are so many minor ux decisions that drive me slowly mad, maybe they’re inherent to salesforce, it’s tiny things like we enter an NHI which is unique health indentifier code but you can’t type it in and press enter you have to use the mouse and click the button :cry:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
am I wrong to think that our govt relying on salesforce to build its new universal immunisation registry is a bad idea

this country has the potential to be somewhat self reliant but god drat neoliberalism has fuckin gutted this country for a quick buck

seems loving obscene that we let other countries buy our farms and our banks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wayne Knight posted:

the appearance of usefulness

don’t doxx me

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what if they dont offer them up for sale

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

everything's got a price. you gotta be talkin to the right ppl tho

I don’t think we can afford it

neoliberalism is a sweet sweet poison

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mate she’s all good

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

i never took you for a protectionist

is this about condoms

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my posts are free to read

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hallelujah

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i always read his name as dr cornrow

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’ve said it before and i’ll say it again

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

if you had invested in nasdaq at the height of the first tech bubble, it would have taken you something like 12 years for it to rise back up and earn your nominal money back

has anyone said nasdank yet

fart simpson posted:

you saved $40k by cutting back on coffee?! how much coffee do you drink

wait and find out what kind of retirement lifestyle I am sacrificing just to have my measley two and a half energy drinks per day

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

post hole digger posted:

i wouldnt want to lose $300 every day.

once again I am hoping I don’t end up homeless

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

i have no idea what the context here is i just love 2 post

good steed

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

everyone knows email has been rendered unusable by spam. We are constantly being chased from one method of communication to another by advertising. Everyone stopped using voice calls because of the spam, then we abandoned faxes because of the spam, then email, now we’re trying to find something less spammy than sms.

in the future we will meet and communicate only in person but it will be so cheap to manufacture spam androids that our conversations will be interrupted by spam people and we will have to find more and more elaborate ways of avoiding the undesirable robots

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

that wasn't there until sometime after i posted the link. maybe we juiced the views a little too much

I opened it once, saw this, left, and then was intrigued enough to open again and it was gone. I skim read it and didn’t understand what gave it away that the dude knows of us and I still don’t

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chris Knight posted:

lol imagine gatekeeping yospos

i mean i’m still here how much lower can it get

Expo70 posted:

2, i have a tendency to see unusual connections between things other people aren't interested in and i should think more about the things others are interested in

a beautiful mind

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

it's not engineering, i do it infrastructure consulting and managed services. i built up a client base of small businesses and small professional consultancies over the last 15 years, and i manage their IT services for them. i have essentially no overhead, bill hourly, and have support/maintenance contracts for 20-something firms.

the business is just myself and my business partner and we split the revenue 50/50.

the job is varied enough to be interesting, the hours are all over the place but relatively few per week unless we're doing a new deployment or migration. it's generally pretty chill except for the part where IT services vendors are universally terrible and the products are all trash

it gives you plenty of free time to hang out with your mates like me down at yospos

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
here our doctors arent free theyre subsidised and still about $50 so people go to the emergency dept and wait around coz their kid has a cough

theyve made a new service so that I can do a bunch of minor poo poo for them for free and if I want to get paid for it (the business, not me), I have to fill in a web form correctly

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
100mL of ameriCUM stat

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
more like chode likes amirite

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet posted:

this works better in your other thread

flew too close to the sun

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

but if landlords didn't own properties, where would renters live?

- an argument i have seen earnestly made in loving d&d

on some level you do have to find a solution for people to live somewhere without owning it, right? or am I missing something (I have no particular suggestion to this quandary just noting it exists)

unless you’re trying to abolish all land ownership in which case - problem solved :grin:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:hmmyes:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

i actually went from lease to month-to-month starting October 2019, because I was gearing up to relocate my fat rear end to the PNW with an approximate six month clock

and then roni hit and all those dreams disappeared.

I heard that one of the most onerous things was finding movers during that poo poo. You were lucky if you could get a booking eight months out to huck all your poo poo from old place to new. Probably was faster to just scrap everything and buy fresh.

my old neighbour and his partner were really down on the luck and barely getting by and he won $15k on some kind of mini lottery and bought a moving truck and this was not long after the earthquakes decimated this town and he fuckkn made bank, ended up moving out of town onto a HUGE (acres and acres) section that even had an abandonded chicken tunnel that felt about half a km long

anyway moving is the worst job in the world. he helped me when I moved out of my exes and all he asked in return was for me to take him out for a meal and a drink.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah, it was really obvious what they were doing when they exclusively promoted lovely javascript lern2code boot camps in underprivileged areas. A torrent of desperate candidates willing to work for basically minimum wage is great for them.

the coding underclass

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

an abandoned what

oh like a big structure for hen farming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sweevo posted:

i helped my best friend move when he and his wife bought their first house. we rented a van and spent two days going back and forth and we were both physically wrecked afterwards. they moved again in 2021, except now they were moving out of a bigger house and had three kids so there was 5x as much stuff. i was prepared to help again, but they ended up hiring a moving company who did the entire job in one morning and then went off to do another in the afternoon. it would have taken us a week and probably crippled both of us.

ugh yeah. they might not be cheap but if you can afford it you’re saving yourself a lifetime of remorse

never mind if something gets damaged it’s covered

moving beds uostairs and then around corners?? pivoting?? gently caress that noise