Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

maybe they’re a saboteur, bringing bad companies down from the inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

oh it’s ok they feel awful about this. maybe they should have gotten chatgpt to write a better apology letter.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

ok but have you gotten nude tayne from it yet?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

izagoof posted:

that’ll facilitate new levels of telephone game previously not thought possible

i wonder what does happen when you have chatgpt continuously rephrase a text sample.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i just hate it when apple maps asks me to proceed to the route.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

infernal machines posted:

oh sure, sure. it's just they have a rule around here about japanese cartoons

it's not animated though so it's ok. clearly we can post manga in here.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

wow i guess those rappers paying for hits on cash app weren’t kidding

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

FMguru posted:

its kind of startling

1980s - the pc (microsoft, dell, compaq, lotus, wordperfect, etc.)

1990s - the internet (well, really the https://www. netscape, amazon, google, facebook, etc.)

2000s - digital media (napster, itunes, netflix, spotify) and players (ipod)
2000s - consumer smartphones (iphone, android) and the app economy (uber, doordash, airbnb, etc.)

2010s and early 2020s - uhhhhhh...selfdriving cars? vr/ar? nfts? crypto money? digital assistants?

yeah, this is why i lol at people talking about becoming an interstellar (or hell even interplanetary) society or the singularity or whatever. like we’re plateauing pretty hard, do you really think we can extrapolate out to something interesting with what we’ve got?

idk i do find ai stuff neat and it’s taken me a little by surprise, but we’ve had an ai winter before and it’s not like we know we won’t have one again.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Enderzero posted:

edit: also feels like a low of low hanging fruit has been picked

that's definitely how i've felt for a while, but that could also be the burned out physicist talking. like on one hand the experimental techniques/analysis/theory is more complicated these days, but otoh computers made stuff a lot easier so it was probably way harder for them to do even basic stuff back in the day.

like it's definitely true that there hasn't been a permanent end to progress yet, but like we probably won't turn into pure energy beings and wander the cosmos so it has to end somewhere.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

oh so cum gutters are vagina bones?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

ask about male gamete gutters

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i’ve been working out with dumbbells at home it’s fun. i feel like it lets me sleep better, like because my muscles did something today my body is like “good job team let’s get some sleep”.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

living near a bike path is great, especially in a bikeable city. i lived next to a rail trail in grad school and i biked everywhere. i could get pretty much anywhere in town within half an hour. hop on the path for some groceries, go to the restaurants/bars downtown, go to campus or the satellite labs, or go down to the woods.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i guess it’s definitely a strategy to make millions of extremely racist llms out of our aging relatives.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i wonder how long until we have those. guess we’ll go back to the old reg date discrimination.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

yeah but then you have 4x the bosses

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

depending on what the meds are increasing your dose can be super bad and you shouldnt do it independently

yeah with like antidepressants (i’m not suggesting that’s what you’re taking this is just a psa) that mess with serotonin it’s really best to keep consistent unless scaling up/down. you get weird symptoms from too much/too little of those.

but like there are drugs the docs told me it doesn’t really matter and is pretty much as needed (but just don’t take too much)

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Expo70 posted:

isn't there like, a proper name for when folks think poo poo is gonna be like it is in scifi because they experience Catastrophic Failure Of Imagination (COFI™) and just assume poo poo will be like the scifi?

idk if it's a proper name, but i've heard it referred to as am/fm before (actual machines vs loving magic)

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

kitten emergency posted:

I mean Roblox and Minecraft are a billion times more accessible and intuitive than basic or assembly or c++ or whatever we had when we were kids, and let you create complex logic and full rear end games with custom assets, whatever. yeah, it’s a “prepackaged” product but it’s still coding.

the ability to make the computer do what you want it to has literally never been easier or cheaper than it is today.

shamefully i learned to code with second life. so there's going to be tons of nerds that learned to code in roblox or whatever.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

the beauty of code is it does the math for you

now setting up the problem, that’s it’s own problem.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

so given that chatgpt has ingested all of stackoverflow at this point, is it the best programmer or the worst?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

haveblue posted:

who's sam altman

i think it’s sam bankmam fried’s rereg.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

maybe this is what amazon wants to do with amazon clinic. crank it all through a llm and roll out dr. alexa. after all they are running it through a chat so it’s all text.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

it’s weird, i don’t see many nps or pas around here, except in psychiatry where they probably make up a majority.

it seems like half the doctors in a given discipline are booked halfway to next year and the other half have an opening two days from now and i can never figure out why.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

companies are innovative and helpful for just long enough that they can capture the market and then it's time for some rent seeking babey

i assume it's got to be this. jack up the price, fire some delivery drivers, crank out cheap poo poo, and pay the executives the difference.

because at this point where else are you going to go?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i heard a commercial for xfinity 10g, I bet that’s like 5 times worse than 5g

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

fermun posted:

why do autonomous vehicles go after fire trucks so much? teslas do it and waymo as well

it’s because they’re an edge case. how often do you see a cop or fire truck on the side of the road? like 0.01% of the time? edge case who cares!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

lousy hat posted:

love how PsiAN had to delete those tweets because the FTC never said that BetterHelp "sold" the data.

I guess they just "submitted" or "monetized" confidential user data and received the ability to target ads. definitely just exchanging data for something of value, not selling it

yeah, clearly their data just got "away" from them

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

i dont think BH is gonna get busted for HIPAA violations since they were merely lying about being covered by hipaa and didn't actually need to be compliant

do therapists seriously not need to protect their patient data? that's kind of hosed up imo. like i feel that if anything mental health info should be even more protected than other health info.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Soylent Pudding posted:

When my sister was a bus driver the busiest intersection in her busiest route had an unprotected left. They were literally trained to pull into the intersection, wait for the lights to turn red, and then make the left. If they didn't they'd never be able to turn unless it was super late at night and there was no traffic. The hope was the cars coming across would see the big buss and not run into it or try and race it before it could turn.

On one of her training routes a driver gunned it trying to beat the light and ate poo poo into the side of the bus as it turned.

at least in illinois that maneuver is legal. if you go into the intersection while the light is green, you can turn after it turns red (for the direction you were approaching the intersection).

that being said it's a bad idea to try and roll into the intersection when it's turning yellow, you don't have enough time to read the intersection/traffic and it's easy to gently caress it up.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Roosevelt posted:

that version of the web was dogshit garbage and if you remember it fondly that makes you an internet boomer

idk if i miss all of it, but i definitely miss small, lightweight websites that were easy to navigate. most of the sites out there today are just unusably terrible, even with modern browsers and hardware.

tbf the web 1.0 sites were probably unusable back then too, but it's just so refreshing to pull up a simple static page these days.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

it’s a dutch auction basically. not sure if that will maximize your long-term returns on property, but they must think so.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

mystes posted:

Drop biscuits are biscuits and they're almost the same thing as cream scones so maybe biscuits and scones are the same thing

yes, all food exists on a spectrum, next question.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

*eating biscuits and gravy in orange county* i guess i dont like southern food!

*eating a cruncy ground-beef taco in indianapolis* wow mexican food sucks

*eating kung pao in macon* omg all chinese food is not very good at all1

1actually i dont think anyone has ever made a bad kung pao but stay with me here!

hey i've eaten plenty of crunchy ground beef tacos in indianapolis and i can tell you they're great.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

even then aren't most mortgages floating-rate? surely the central bank's interest rate fisting would pass straight through to mortgage holders and then it's the government's problem?

i don’t think so. for house loans at least it’s a pretty small number that are floating, apparently 5-10%

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

so why does it matter if that’s a persona? she still chose to fraud, it’s not like she’s wearing the mask or something.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

4lokos basilisk posted:

that's true but at least you could rely on the massive scientific corpuses to have at least some baseline of reality, and all the clickbait websites and whatnot required the owners to set up their own content generation. now they have tossed chatgpt right into the hands of the public, so the barrier of entry to automatically generate pretty much unlimited realistic "content" is really really low and a million hustlers and grifters are currently working on how to monetize that poo poo

a while back the ask historians subreddit kept on getting many answers that were just asking chatgpt the question and posting the response. so it's already happening, who knows what posts are real or not anymore. idk how much it will or will not matter though. certainly it will deteriorate the web, google searches, and social media.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Video Nasty posted:

Wasn't sure to put this in the AI or Games thread so it goes here instead.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1656074081299492866

we're definitely going to get an explosion of these types of games. game art can be that "cheap filler that doesn't really need to be right or even close, just ok at first pass" that the llms exceed at. like procedurally generated is already a big staple of lots of games, just take that to the logical conclusion of procedurally generated with an llm.

i mean a hand-curated world is always better, but i've gotten plenty of enjoyment out of loving around in minecraft and the geometry definitely isn't artisanal.

next is a pokemon-like game where you can generate pokemon based on descriptions and breed them with other pokemon for weird results.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

too much legs imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

this is why i like central asia history. you're lucky if you can find someone in the west who can place Uzbekistan on a map, so those who can are probably also into all the nerdy details instead of... well idk if there even really is a wehraboo equivalent for the region

inb4 someone kramers in with "timur did nothing wrong" or w/e

yeah, i just recently finished reading the silk road book by valerie hansen and i found it pretty entertaining. it talks a lot about the western part of china (xi’an), and some of the central asian places (like samarkand) and a few places in the taklamakan desert. a lot of people found it boring but for me it was the right amount of dry archaeology stuff. the history of the area is real neat, it’s a big mixing pot of a lot of cultures and religions.