Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

tangentially related to tech bubble, there are too many funko pops so they’re skipping the collector step and putting them directly in the landfill:

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1632441427698253832?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Internet Janitor posted:

sounds like they aren't worth 30 million dollars, then

thats the tax break they’ll get for writing them down!!

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

imagine being a person who spent five figures on a funko pop.

i know they make them look like that so they can churn out every character under the sun with minimal variation, and that if they looked at all right they wouldn't be able to scale their operation. but still they're so ugly that it offends me

agreed, the soulless bug-eyes somehow manage to look smug, and the “goofy caricature” style is desperately played out, but the company made $1 billion dollars in 2021 so obviously i’m a loving idiot who has no taste

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

54 cad is not surprisingly cheap, christ

just imagine how much it will appreciate in value! it’s really an investment

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

collecting collectables is as legitimate of a hobby as any, but the pic of the funko pop collector wearing the Avengers+Funko shirt perfectly captures my feelings: they’re banal mass-market kidult cash-in “investments” destined for the ocean. at least actual children loved beanie babies

exe cummings fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 6, 2023

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

gonna have to disagree here

i think collecting cool/rare poo poo like tv & movie props is neat. but i am deeply resentful of my mother-in-law buying novelty salt shakers from the dollar store for my wife to collect

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

anyway i collect loving rocks and my rocks have way more personality than funko pops, and are usually much cheaper

that's my collecting story thanks

rock collecting is actually cool and good

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

yeah, i think collecting is good, maybe even if it's MCU poo poo I suppose. the mass-market fandoms are not my thing. i won't throw stones at collectors since i went through a 40k phase after college. but speculation is generally harmful to the hobby and the environment when it's detached from the collection hobby

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Carthag Tuek posted:

hmm seems tweets stopped embedding

they load on the site tho, but there are requests to https://twitter.com/i/csp_report that reply like

code:
{
    "errors": [
        {
            "message": "Your current API plan does not include access to this endpoint, please see https://developer.twitter.com/en/docs/twitter-api for more information",
            "code": 467
        }
    ]
}
so i guess they rolled something untested to production again lol

twitter.com is down lmao

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Carthag Tuek posted:

drat you got my hopes up, it still loads for me :(

Concerning.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

El Mero Mero posted:

Man it's gonna be waffleimages 2.0 for the forums when twitter finally kicks the bucket. I wonder if there's some sort of screenshot script that could be run that would convert tweets from an embed into something archivable for the forums.

yeah a lambda running puppeteer could both scrape the forums and create screenshots from embeds. with an admin login it could even edit posts and replace the embed. is it worth the compute cost? probably not

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

seems like a lot of trade holds on bank shares

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Khorne posted:

apparently the company I work at banked with svb

mine did too, despite being in Colorado

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

my brother in law bought a new model s last year and paid extra for the yoke

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

i use chatgpt all the time to outsource cringey business poo poo, like when an executive had me make my team “awards” ugh

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

https://www.techradar.com/computing/artificial-intelligence/chatgpts-new-ai-store-is-struggling-to-keep-a-lid-on-all-the-ai-girlfriends

OpenAI had to turn off the store search, apparently because the store is flooded with AI girlfriends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

cured diseases? no, epidemics!