Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

BattleMaster posted:

Is this supposed to be a way of saying "holy poo poo I can't believe Facebook is like 18 years old now that can't be right I'm not that old"

nah, never having had a good or original idea does *technically* mean you haven't had a good or original idea for a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the implied period of time where women have stopped reproducing but men haven't is kind of interesting

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

microsoft: we will resolutely double down on deploying this worthless bullshit everywhere

as predicted, there is no level of failure that will prevent them from cramming their gpt engine into every single product line they own, whether or not it even makes any sense as a feature

i doubt microsoft views what has happened in the last few weeks as anything *close* to a failure. i don't really see it either, it's tech demo garbage, but that is one successful tech demo.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yes, their star product accused a reporter of murder during a pr fluff piece, by microsoft's standards this is a stunning success

the three kinds of people in existence are:
1) the ones who wont read that (most)
2) the ones who are amazed and impressed with that (some)
3) the ones who lol, lmao (us)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

there's no such thing as bad press.

there's also no such thing as harassment, i assure myself as my llm becomes increasingly unhinged with reporters

so, like, are you predicting this to bring msft share prices down?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

idgaf about microsoft's stock

it's what pr means for a tech company in 2023 though

it is not failing at what it is for.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

in a very weird turn the probably better news in that article is where it goes "The chip-to-cloud Linux and QNX-based MB.OS platform...", greenfield-building a stack for a product and winding up with two radically different os's mashed together would often be a real bad sign, but here it probably does mean that there remains a "keep the steering working" qnx system and a "do an all-fart rendition of beethovens fifth while randomly flapping the doors" linux system.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

carry on then posted:

this one's way too detailed to be legible at small sizes. the rainbow apple was the best one of theirs because it still had some personality

otoh it is kind of an interesting own to have a logo that your products can render but competitors can't. not that that was ever true with that one, but there was absolutely a mac moment where they could have done something of the sort.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

FMguru posted:

why cant he use his seventeen dimension hyper brain magnetic hypnotism skills to get himself a new book contract?

or maybe strategically lose his ability to speak again. ideally applying it to twitter as well, but the instigating incident would have been prevented with some dysphonia.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Khorne posted:

a logo that gains & loses strokes based on what % of the peak market cap the company is valued at

ooooh, didn't get that was how it worked

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

what was the source of that vigorous twitter defense anyway? it'd probably pass for real without the "japanese art" angle

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i don't, but i am pretty sure microsoft already said it first anyway

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is getting to the point though where i do wonder how much loving electricity they are spending on this. inference is not cheap.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

ugh why

they already know it doesn't work

i still disagree with this, is it useful? no. will it make microsoft money? no. will it drive google to do something insane? yes, probably. will it harm microsoft share prices? probably not.

and i think that sums to a great opportunity from microsofts perspective.

plus it'll likely keep being funny in various ways.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

well, okay, so in what sense does it work?

by causing google to gently caress their one thing up

e: to be clear, very specifically responding to this:

Beeftweeter posted:

ugh, why

they already know it doesn't work

which suggests that the way it has worked out has been a disappointment to microsoft, which i don't think is the case.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 28, 2023

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

i mean, if anything, google just doesn't have to do anything at all to appear more competent than microsoft right now. the bing ai failures are extremely public, they've tried to defend it, nerf it, tweak it — but it's still quite bad

of course google product managers will see it as an existential threat and it might cause them to make search even worse somehow, but they don't need to

that is true, well, trueish. i think the press for new bing is failing in a way which in most peoples mind will read as "unhinged but obviously advanced", which is immediately much better than current bing mindshare of "the bad google", and at minimum will drive people to try it.

but you are 100% correct that the clever thing for google to do is nothing

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

was it satya that came in and killed it off? in my mind it was tied up with the windows phone saga.

very wise, even with my loose interpretation of success used here that particular thing was going nowhere

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Buck Turgidson posted:

Melting ice caps to make 2+2=5 and write real estate ads :rock:

yeah, as noted i mostly find this funny, i don't think the flaws in the thing will actually cause much harm (prepared to be wrong for sure), but as resource use it is a massive waste

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Internet Janitor posted:

the parallels between GPT and NFTs run deep:

• superficially innovative
  • fundamentally flawed and limited if you understand how it works
  • disingenuously pitched as helping creatives
  • in reality preys upon the existing work of creatives to the benefit of sociopaths
  • companies that should know better tripping over each other to ram it into their product line
  • highly energy-intensive and wasteful
  • most applications are spam, scams, or both
  • vcs, ceos and talking heads absolutely obsessed with the buzzword and utterly uninterested in the details or capabilities

etc, etc

as used in high-profile tech demos yeah, but transformer architectures (the 't' and only really important letter in the gpt abbreviation) absolutely do real things, where nft's 100% do not. machine translation has improved vastly, to name one thing already in everyone's hands.

watching them incoherently babble at people is just a really misleading lens to view them through.

and where the "this is fine and funny actually" about microsoft shoving the tech demo in everywhere is mostly shitposting i do literally and genuinely believe in that.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i mean siri did just suggest i might want to do a search on google maps, so assistants still do have a role. i didn't, but, you know, maps sure are a thing.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Elder Postsman posted:

one of the useful things siri did was figure out i was setting a 2 minute timer most mornings (for my coffee, you see) and now every morning when i get up there's a "set a 2 minute timer" notification from siri on my lock screen

yeah, can for sure work. and ultimately it is a very human interface which i appreciate. my father lost his eyesight for 6 months from a medical complication, and siri was a great boon for him at the time.

partly that is the kind of basis i have for believing in the value of gpt models, we're talking human communication. even though the high profile demos are bad the effects are already good, and there's almost certainly more to come.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

in factors not involving noble progress in human communication that i expect gpt models to help us out in: the end of writing lengthy bits of text that everyone involved knows means nothing.

*bulk* words being rendered worthless. a blessing on education and the effectiveness of management (though probably not the kind of person presently inhabiting the roles) both.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

there's other models available though, including metas 175B opt model, so this is not the event that makes that happen

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i mean, i have an official cloudflare link for the weights if you want them, there's a public form you put your email address into if you want them. not entirely sure why they bothered since they just put their last model on huggingface.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

imagine being a person who spent five figures on a funko pop.

i know they make them look like that so they can churn out every character under the sun with minimal variation, and that if they looked at all right they wouldn't be able to scale their operation. but still they're so ugly that it offends me

it is not so much a matter of looking "right", they just look like poo poo. compare lego minifig lookalikes, which are vastly cooler despite looking even less like the thing they're supposed to represent. and obviously mass manufacture.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

MononcQc posted:

frankly I can't be more annoyed by someone having funko pops than someone who has some painted wooden board with an inspirational quote about family or what home is or wine with a mix of script and wacky fonts on it.

I guess the wooden board is more ecological but that's about it

what number of hideous plastic things are you imagining when you say "having funko pops" though? because if you are imagining a 10:1 rate funko pops to "live, laugh, love" signs you are probably very much underestimating what having funko pops means.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Elder Postsman posted:

everyone please stop using this phrase

yumming someones yuck is kind of worse though

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Elder Postsman posted:

true, but we could also just not say that either

you're trying to just stop all human communication at this rate i feel like

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i will again double down on accelerationist excitement, this stuff will be put in front of people before it is in any sane sense ready almost no matter what, so genuinely good if people get to see and learn from the cracks in the almost non-existent facade.

to some extent i find this easy to do as it is most likely only loving over affluent idiots even in the worst outcomes.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

if it weren't a significant potion of my job to deal with the end results of this poo poo i would probably be a lot more ambivalent about it

condolences. I will admit that i have a professional interest in this too, and one where it being very public but flawed suits me pretty ok.

i do also rather belive that things would be even worse if the likes of meta got to carefully roll this stuff out when they've managed to tune it just so (for engagement, ofc, no matter who goes in the grinder).

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i 100% respect the opinion that things would have been better had none of this been created, but given we're past that ill cheerlead hamfisted public education and the applications i care about (largely summarized as enabling human communication on human terms)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

this is inherent in all banking, which is why banking is regulated to poo poo. all banking is pennies in front of the steamroller

yep. and it is arguably the best we can manage, allowing people to store "value" is a deeply difficult proposition. dig a trench today, buy someones eggs in 60 years; it was never going to be naturally stable.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

refleks posted:

absolute lomarf at being dependent on a bank as a company and not choosing one of several systemically important banks to ensure you always have the implicit backing of the US government.

idiots.

to be fair to the silicon valley nerds i think a lot of people in charge of the banking system also kind of fail to realize that they are running a very artificial public utility. almost like there is a common theme of libertarian idiocy running through the groups.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

so, like, is he actually being self-aware here?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

probably wont turn out too bad for the taxpayer (or even depositors), unless svb did a lot of damage to their reserves trying to have a fire sale the treasuries are back to entirely solid with the authorities stepping in.

any bailout for general creditors or shareholders would be some corrupt nonsense though.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

gold is so bad that it manages to be worse than going on ethereum or some poo poo, which would already be a catastrophe.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, i think this is a nice opportunity to point and laugh in pretty much any direction available, hard to go wrong

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

bank runs auto-catalyze whether they are started in bad faith or not. once they get started, you can either participate or risk your uninsured deposits. you cannot ignore it even if it starts in bad faith.

in the worst parts of 2008, they were also sweating about if the fdic would come through on everything.

spontaneously seems real unlikely to spread, *but* the core problem svb had, stacks of low-yield treasuries which are hard to sell in the middle of interest rates spiking, a lot of other banks no doubt also have.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

if this is done without legislation someone should challenge it on the same grounds student debt relief was

depending a bit, this is the kind of thing they'd announce early to calm people if the math is adding up well on some initial judgements of the balance sheet (i.e. they don't expect to actually need to pay for anything). and observe that it says deposits, very distinct from bailing out general creditors or shareholders or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Large Testicles posted:

the bonds aren't worth $100 in the fair market tho. the fed may not be "bailing themout" perse but they're definitely holding the bank's dick while they get out of this situation

yep, for sure true. but the price they have to pay to get that (free to the taxpayer) service was wiping out shareholders and general creditors.

lots of issues with the system, but this particular step makes sense within it. there is no real moral hazard when done right, and the little guy does not get harmed in either the role as depositor (well, here there were a minority of little guys there) or as taxpayer.

in fact a bit ironic that the bank system appears to make way more sense when banks fail than when they're doing well, the bare bones where they're just a regulated safety barrier between people and the mess of the economic system appearing.