Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The_Franz posted:

https://twitter.com/ChuckVacuumBeth/status/1634781787942518784

this is totally hurting me, a poor working mother of 4 millionaire who dreams of subscription party planning services

^^:bahgawd:
this makes me think about that infamous wsj infographic about rich people's incomes being affected by a tax increase or whatever it was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

lol she already deleted the pricing page for her startup within a couple hours because she got owned so hard on twitter

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

Giannis Antetokounmpo, the two-time MVP who last year led the Milwaukee Bucks to their first NBA title since 1971, opened bank accounts with 50 different banks — each one of them holding $250,000, his boss, team owner Marc Lasry, told Bloomberg News.
Lol that a basketball player was smart enough to do this and silicon valley genius investors were not

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

if i were a bank i would simply use my money to buy more money
isn't that what they do though

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

actually did not expect this from pelosi... at first
Paying lip service to stuff americans would want but then not actually doing it is the democrats whole job, so her initially saying they aren't going to bail it out doesn't mean anything

mystes
May 31, 2006

On my alignment matrix, everything that gives rich people money is a bailout

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

individual depositors do not by definition have over $250k. they may or may not. the point is that FDIC insurance is nominally up to that amount
I think they meant "unless you're going to say that individual depositors who are being bailed out don't count as regular people because by definition to be in a position where they're affected by the bailout they must have more than $250k" or something like that

mystes
May 31, 2006

fart simpson posted:

neuralink can’t come fast enough…
That's probably more of a head shaving than a haircut

mystes
May 31, 2006

Apparently YOSPOS was only one bank run away from turning into D&D

mystes
May 31, 2006

If that's what the world is going to look like after math maybe we should just ban it

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

meanwhile, the wsj knows who is really at fault for this:

https://twitter.com/bcmerchant/status/1635331043216736256
This makes me feel so tired

Not only is it incredibly dumb to blame this on the board having a modicum of diversity, rather than say the culture of silicon valley, it feels incredibly close to just saying that we should scapegoat minorities for any problems with the economy.

The author probably hasn't thought it through that far and is just trying to own the libs while making an excuse for silicon valley, but, like imagine if the bank run had actually lead to a major crash in the financial system and the WSJ was publishing an op-ed effectively blaming that on black and LGBT+ people.

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 14, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

isnt that just an app to keep track of your workouts? lol
Strava effectively has a monopoly on cyclists virtually competing with each other for imaginary internet points

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

and? it's still exactly what you said:

they are literally saying "everyone is insured, no limits" and "we are actively making new accounts and extending loans! no downside!"
"everyone" in that quote clearly specifically means "all banks" based on the alternative that is stated so this press release or whatever it is is not saying that

whether it is somehow bad for the FDIC to encourage more people to put their money in SVB I don't know

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 17, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

remember around 2008ish people just wanted to hand control of the country over to google

lol, lmao
I don't even remember that but 2008 also feels like it was approximately 500 years ago

Even knowing that I must have been excited when I first started using the google search engine, signed up for gmail, and started using chrome the idea of anyone having any faith in google seems almost incomprehensible at this point

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 19, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

obligatory "turn on your monitor"

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

by electric face toner I assume you mean the horrifying rejuvinique
maybe it's what you use in your face printer, like in mission impossible

mystes
May 31, 2006

OldAlias posted:

lol real media. that’s how I downloaded anime fansubs as a child because it was faster than torrenting something with proper quality
I'm amazed anyone would put up with realmedia quality by the time bittorrent existed

mystes
May 31, 2006

Animal rights: drake no
Chatbot rights: drake yes

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ruffian Price posted:

Live support representatives were already pretending to be bots so millennials would get less anxious talking to them
Huh? If anything I thought they have been doing the opposite by having the computer say hi before the human connects

mystes
May 31, 2006

not to say that any of those startups will succeed, but there probably are a handful of legitimately useful applications that we haven't discovered yet

mystes
May 31, 2006

50 versions of Shingy from different parallel dimensions

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

i mean unless they were developing their own platform (which i doubt) it still seems like kind of a lot. disney already has a ton of artists and whatnot. it was probably all managers lol
they probably have hundreds of people just posting poo poo on social media all day

mystes
May 31, 2006

You're all just yuddites

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

ai is how musk has seized various means of production.
usually when people talk about "seizing" the means of production they mean "take hold of" not "become stuck or jammed"

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

i was making a joke about his myriad progeny and preferred form of reproduction.
and I was making a joke about his ability to manufacture stuff

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

these things get a ton of press (whether its good or bad doesn't really matter), so i wouldn't be surprised if a lot of companies drop everything to start working on LLMs, apple included. meta and google already announced a bunch of poo poo of course but they're probably pouring resources into them now
good this will be an entertaining way for meta and google to waste a lot of money

mystes
May 31, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

idk someone's found at least one use for chatgpt it seems

There's a website https://politepost.net/ that does exactly this so you don't need to come up with the prompt yourself

mystes
May 31, 2006

EricBauman posted:

so apparently the ai can successfully appeal parking fines (a student in england used chatgpt for that), but google maps still cant tell that when i was moving at 17mph on a dedicated cycling path in an area with no bus lanes or bus routes, i was probably cycling and not on a bus
When does Google maps detect what transportation method you're using?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Oh I've always kept location history disabled despite google passively aggressively disabling unrelated features in retaliation, not that it disabling it probably actually does anything

mystes
May 31, 2006

OldAlias posted:

Apple Watch is useful here as it buzzes your wrist for turns and the like
I have a dumb android watch and I don't think you can turn off the wrist vibrating for turns (maybe there's a way idk) and I hate that so much I have to take the watch off when I drive

mystes
May 31, 2006

rotor posted:

wear two watches so it can vibrate one or the other to tell you which way to turn
Why don't you add a rumble pack to the steering wheel too while you're at it you monster

mystes
May 31, 2006

qirex posted:

same for the inevitable endoscope
Are you talking about this?

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think the tv show was okay but I don't think it deserved to get remade 20 times

mystes
May 31, 2006

Internet Janitor posted:

i agree. current-day machine learning is arguably a last gasp of trying to use brute force to solve problems in a way that "scales" without requiring insight, invention, or discovery. insert data, turn the crank, get a solution, hope it's within a reasonable epsilon of acceptable
What evidence do you have that it's a "last gasp" rather in the process of improving?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

i mean ok but that "can" is doing a lot of heavy lifting imo
huh? given the context of the previous time someone bought them that avatar with red text and the photo it's from why would you say that?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

i'm still trying to wrap my head around who can go "ahh yes this picture of jerry seinfeld is a crop from a photo of him dating a 17 year old".
I don't think anyone was saying that but Shame Boy knew it was because of the previous time it happened and given that he knows it's from that it doesn't seem like it's unreasonable to be unhappy about it so I'm not sure you're helping anything by saying something that sounds a lot like saying they must be overreacting because you couldn't identify that image?

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't think I'm having trouble understanding your posts so much as disagreeing with them, as people are wont to do on the internet

mystes
May 31, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

the main thing is that rando made a really dumb avatar purchase that would've been pretty funny in that they wasted their money on the lamest dunk of all time. but all the hand wringing has 100% vindicated their purchase, which is probably not the best outcome.

and that's the part of my post that you keep not getting
who cares if it's "vindicated their purchase". It's a lovely thing to do and if they keep doing it they should be banned or something.

and again it's very annoying that you assume I'm not understanding what you're saying just because I disagree with it

mystes
May 31, 2006

You probably should try to do some sort of minimal amount of load bearing exercise if biking is really 100% of your exercise and you don't even walk much because it seems like that's pretty bad for bone density

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

A human could have gotten two different papers confused or something too