Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciao Wren
May 5, 2023

by sebmojo
I'm not sure why fans think it needs to advance. There is plenty of future-history to mine. That's what makes things like the Horus Heresy so cool. I enjoyed WH40K as a self-reinforcing system. It's velvet, not silk. Silk is smooth and you follow it until it is over. Velvet, on the other hand, invites pauses. The more you linger the deeper it gets. It invites quietude and study. You can play the tragedy of the Heresy out from at least 43 perspectives. All different. Loyalist chapters and loyalist members. Traitor chapters and traitor members. Loyal humans and traitor humans. Loyal Mechanicus and traitor Mechanicus. Xenos (though I feel that is best left only obliquely written to keep the Xenos alien).

And you can do whatever the gently caress you want with it. You can do copypasta from Iraq war stories, the Fall of Constantinople, Xerxes the Great, Qin unification of China, Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Take whatever story that is good, slap it in plasteel and you are good to go.

From it's beginnings, WH40K has openly stolen from everywhere. It's a frenetic ADD kid's vision of all his (it's absolutely a him, let's be honest -- but he also hasn't hit puberty, WH40K is extremely sexless) favorite science fiction stories blended together in a fever vision. It doesn't make sense because it doesn't have to. It's "that's cool and that's cool and that's cool" all put in a blender and then put together in some kind of a post-hoc manner.

But that post-hoc stuff gets cool. There is genuine tragedy and pathos there and with iteration and layers it becomes more impractful. In that way it draws from the same religious sensibilities it decries.

What does the future hold? Well, we know Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka succeeded in stealing all the milk. But for a moment it looked like a better universe could happen. Then it all went to poo poo and then it all went to poo poo and then it all went to poo poo again.

But that's not really interesting. Let's keep adding layers to the cake of the past. Because WH40K is lore for lore's sake.

It's a punk Silmarillion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Ciao Wren posted:

I'm not sure why fans think it needs to advance. There is plenty of future-history to mine. That's what makes things like the Horus Heresy so cool. I enjoyed WH40K as a self-reinforcing system. It's velvet, not silk. Silk is smooth and you follow it until it is over. Velvet, on the other hand, invites pauses. The more you linger the deeper it gets. It invites quietude and study. You can play the tragedy of the Heresy out from at least 43 perspectives. All different. Loyalist chapters and loyalist members. Traitor chapters and traitor members. Loyal humans and traitor humans. Loyal Mechanicus and traitor Mechanicus. Xenos (though I feel that is best left only obliquely written to keep the Xenos alien).

And you can do whatever the gently caress you want with it. You can do copypasta from Iraq war stories, the Fall of Constantinople, Xerxes the Great, Qin unification of China, Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Take whatever story that is good, slap it in plasteel and you are good to go.

From it's beginnings, WH40K has openly stolen from everywhere. It's a frenetic ADD kid's vision of all his (it's absolutely a him, let's be honest -- but he also hasn't hit puberty, WH40K is extremely sexless) favorite science fiction stories blended together in a fever vision. It doesn't make sense because it doesn't have to. It's "that's cool and that's cool and that's cool" all put in a blender and then put together in some kind of a post-hoc manner.

But that post-hoc stuff gets cool. There is genuine tragedy and pathos there and with iteration and layers it becomes more impractful. In that way it draws from the same religious sensibilities it decries.

What does the future hold? Well, we know Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka succeeded in stealing all the milk. But for a moment it looked like a better universe could happen. Then it all went to poo poo and then it all went to poo poo and then it all went to poo poo again.

But that's not really interesting. Let's keep adding layers to the cake of the past. Because WH40K is lore for lore's sake.

It's a punk Silmarillion.

I don't know poo poo about warhammer, but I was like "uh, what?" then I remembered this post from another sci-fi thread here the other day, and lol, good AP Honors English Course schtick

Ciao Wren posted:

Speaking of what is and is not a (white/light) horse, I think it's worth considering how pop-Buddhism has changed in American culture and how that relates to our relationship to the Force. Lucas basically has Suzuki as his window. Suzuki's approach engaged the West but it was very firmly rooted in China and Japan. That's really different from most contemporary American Buddhisms where they are proselyting and therefore syncretic religions. Part of that syncreticism involves stripping contemporary American Buddhism of the other two (three) jewels of Confucianism, Daoism and either Chinese folk religion (more on that in a second) or Shinto in the case of Zen-by-way-of-Japan. There are further Hegelian sunderings of modernity, where Daoism and Confucianism are split from folk religion -- plenty of Americans have a very Protestant approach to Daoism that begins with the Daodejing and ends with the Zhuangzi. Start talking about the Celestial Bureaucracy, Han synthesis (any loving opinion on it), or really anything that happened since the Axial Age and you get blank stares.

What I'm trying to say is that Lucas had a very differently encumbered view of Buddhism that he used to build the concept of the Force. He was also a huge Kirkegaardian via Campbell. This is important because here is a post by a nerd (Chris Panza, a professor of philosophy and sinology at a prestigious university) about the Confucian conception of the "Way" where you can basically replace "Way" or "Dao" with "Force" as understood through a Kirkegaardian lens:

In that vein, the Force works where you, as a Jedi, are either on the Force or off the Force. You are either an instrument of the galactic consciousness or you aren't. This relates to Lucas's idea of balance. Balance isn't the same number of people on and off the path. Balance is everyone on the same, singular path. But what about fail states? Well, then we can look to another Confucian Kirkegaardian philosopher Tu Weiming. His whole thing is to contextualize the Great Learning through a Kirkegaardian lens creating selfhood as creative transformation. He takes Yangming's interpretation if the Great Learning where the self is essentially a series of concentric circles starting with what essentially is the Ego expanding to the entire universe in a kind of pan-psychism.

From this point of view, the Sith get stuck at a particular place along the continuum. Atomized Self (which is actually an epiphenomenon) -> family -> nation -> species -> world -> universe (actual reality). Palpatine reifies the self that doesn't exist. Vader fails to expand beyond family. Dooku fails to expand beyond nation. The Empire (pre-Zahn, which is why he sucks as an author and fundamentally doesn't get Star Wars) fails to expand beyond species.

There is one force and you are on it or off it. Do or do not, there is no try.

tldr: term paper, the post. reminds me of those "Douglas Legs" A/T posts, where it takes getting a few lines into it before you realize what's going on, lol

Ciao Wren
May 5, 2023

by sebmojo
Sorry I like things OP.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i'm not saying it "needs to advance" i just think it's fun to hear what other people think the future of the 40k setting would be

Ciao Wren
May 5, 2023

by sebmojo

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i'm not saying it "needs to advance" i just think it's fun to hear what other people think the future of the 40k setting would be

I didn't mean you OP OP. I'm using OP the way the kids are where it just means the person you are quoting. It's a dumb convention but language evolves and I'm here for it.

In terms of the setting, I gotta figure 50K is Star Child who will come to meet us and blow our minds. But that's also very set in a sort of '80s punkish rebellion that assumes Anglicanism. I've got sympathies there, I also think the greatest Ork warleader is Margaret Thatcher.

Updates like the techno-libertarianism of the Necrons aren't really a 'part' of WH40K for me. When I stopped playing and caring, Necrons just released one model in White Dwarf and they were a joke terminator army. Now they are like half the lore. That's cool. That poo poo evolves.

So what is the 50K? Whatever is next man. Right now it's looking like Orcs are going to be the new thing because fascists are back in a big way. Universe of Orks is a real WH50K possibility.

But like the nobel Zoat, I think there needs to be a new kind of Ork for a new age. Legacy Orks, of course. But also a slicker newer Ork. Maybe based off the Diggers. J'otus Bossson leads a new kind of Orkish army to victory in the grim darkness of WH50K.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Ciao Wren posted:

Updates like the techno-libertarianism of the Necrons aren't really a 'part' of WH40K for me.

:confused:

Where are you getting the idea that modern Necrons are libertarian? They're a collection of squabbling monarchies with a feudal structure so rigid it's literally built into them, held nominally together by The Silent King.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

It seems like if any faction was libertarian it would be the bdsm elves. They've got their own Galt's Gulch hidden in the webway, no rules medical experimentation, and an obvious disdain for age of consent laws. The only thing missing are the goldbug tendencies.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ciao Wren posted:

So what is the 50K? Whatever is next man. Right now it's looking like Orcs are going to be the new thing because fascists are back in a big way. Universe of Orks is a real WH50K possibility.

The Orks are anarchists, the Empire of Man is the ultrafascist.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

pygmy tyrant posted:

It seems like if any faction was libertarian it would be the bdsm elves. They've got their own Galt's Gulch hidden in the webway, no rules medical experimentation, and an obvious disdain for age of consent laws. The only thing missing are the goldbug tendencies.

Instead of gold it's souls.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
y’all need the dirge of Slaanesh

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

MikeJF posted:

The Orks are anarchists, the Empire of Man is the ultrafascist.

Orcs are a Kraterocracy, literally Might Makes Right; "a system of governance where those who are strong enough to seize power through physical force, social maneuvering or political cunning"

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I'm not sure how "YOUZ GITZ DO WOT I SAZ OR I'LL KRUMP YA" counts as social maneuvering or politicsl cunning.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

It's Brutal Kunnin'

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Ciao Wren posted:

But also a slicker newer Ork. Maybe based off the Diggers.

that's already the human faction in Gorkamorka.

then american fans didn't get the political reference and mistook the name for an in poor taste reference to the n-word.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

y’all need the dirge of Slaanesh

Isn't slaanesh dead or something?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

David D. Davidson posted:

I'm not sure how "YOUZ GITZ DO WOT I SAZ OR I'LL KRUMP YA" counts as social maneuvering or politicsl cunning.

Pretty sure that's literally the original definition of both.

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

Ok, to engage in the actual speculation that the thread was made for:

Warhammer 50k, as seen by a complete idiot:
Big E is finally dead. This is less catastrophic than it sounds, for the simple reason that his death was the final step to his ascension as a self-hating Chaos God - and the first thing he did? Put a big ol' Warp Storm around Terra as a shield. Nobody gets through that he doesn't personally allow. Psykers are now able to channel his power directly, and are essentially just sorcerers in service to him (so not a huge change there, just less danger from the Perils of the Warp table lol). The Mechanicus aren't happy about this, but they pride themselves on being too logical and computer-like to really do much - and they rely on the Imperium of Man for supply lines, so they're still about as loyal as they ever were (not very, but not in ways that make the Inquisition notice). The Inquisition is still very much a thing, as are the Sisters of Battle (with their Ascended Saints basically being Daemon Princes (Princesses?) of the Emperor). Speaking of Daemon Princes, now the Loyalist Primarchs are all basically some flavor of Daemon Prince too, just in service to Big E, rather than one of the other four fuckers. The Space Marines are basically the same as ever, still a collection of cults of suicidal lunatics, but the returning Loyalist Primarchs (most of whom are now ascended as Daemon Princes, with a few that were Actually Dead being replaced by Greater Daemons of Order masquerading as the original article) have reformed the Legions, so this Chapter nonsense is basically just an organizational tool. The Codex Astartes spontaneously combusts every time someone tries to compile a new copy, which Guilliman is not happy about, but in true Imperial fashion, he was being a massive hypocrite about it the whole time so he doesn't do anything about it, it's just an excuse to smash Space Marine figures together. The Imperial Guard continues to be largely ineffective at anything besides getting massive numbers of people to die as mass sacrifices to the Emperor.

The Eldar are about as relevant as ever, which is to say, not very. Most of the Ynnari and Aeldari are pissed that the humans found a way to raise a Chaos God that doesn't involve turbomurdering their entire species and civilization, while the Drukhari find the whole thing hilarious - and are basically just carrying on with their murderous circlejerk in Commoragh, though they now have to use soulstone technology to make sure that their human sacrifices don't just zip back to Emps as soon as they finally die.

The Orks are having a blast, as usual - there's no shortage of poo poo to kill and fight, and since they're not tied to the Immaterium in the first place, they largely ignore the rise of the Emperor except as yet another band of humiez to krump - same as before, really.

The Tau have observed the changes, and several Human worlds on the border of their space (slightly expanded over the last 10k years, but not by much, since they still don't gently caress around with the Warp for FTL travel) have openly gone over to their side.

The Leagues of Votann want nothing to do with this new development, and while individual convoys might trade with the Imperium, as a whole they're basically not interested in joining up, and would much rather work with the Tau than the humans.

Meanwhile, Chaos is going loving insane (even more so than usual). With Terra cut off to them, and the Loyalist Primarchs now able to gently caress with the Traitor Primarchs directly, it's Heresy 2.0 time as far as most of the Chaos Space Marines are concerned. The Daemons would really much rather deal with the fact that a huge chunk of the Immaterium is suddenly a no-go zone for them, as would the Chaos Gods, but it turns out that those superhumans they elevated? Yeah, they'd much rather resume their dick-measuring contest from twenty thousand years ago, and their posthuman supersoldiers tend to listen to them, rather than the Chaos Gods. The only one having any fun is Angron, and that's because he's too stupid to care about anything besides ANGRON SMASH. Magnus continues to be a useless putz. Lorgar is having conniptions on the daily about how he was right; nobody cares but him. Mortarion and Perturabo mostly just see this as a chance to kill things, which frankly they didn't really need the excuse for. Horus continues to not exist, in the only winning move in this game. Alpharion Omegon continues to gently caress around, and everybody else gets to find out, as per usual. Konrad Curze is the other big winner alongside Horus, being actually dead and free of all this horseshit.

The Necrons are moderately annoyed that the 'everybody dies' plan is taking so long, but their unofficial motto of 'Keep calm, and kill everything' carries on. They recognize a certain kinship with the Tyranids, but find their disgusting habit of being alive to be too much of a dealbreaker to really attempt to do more than just wipe out the occasional hive fleet tendril that ends up waking them up.

The Tyranids are probably enjoying themselves, since they're getting several good meals in, though it's hard to tell. Several more Hive Fleets turn up, and it turns out that they're as fond of eating each other as anything else, so that slows things down enough for everyone else to try and get themselves removed from the menu.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There'll probably be some change that happens to the Tyranids when Hive Fleet Tiamet finishes building whatever it's building.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

drilldo squirt posted:

Isn't slaanesh dead or something?

They got captured and put in god jail in AOS, but then the setting's worst mom hosed that up for everybody and now they're back, sorta.

It's cool though, there's still four chaos gods because the Great Horned Rat got a promotion. The other three won't talk to him because they're high school children having a snit.

Age of Sigmar is kinda good now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

By 50k the Tau are probably nearing Necron levels of technology, or at least humanity's Dark Age of Technology. At this point they're probably either the Federation or the Covenant.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

By 50k the Tau are probably nearing Necron levels of technology, or at least humanity's Dark Age of Technology. At this point they're probably either the Federation or the Covenant.

Be funny if some how the Imperium painfully pulled themselves out of being poo poo, and Tau became the new Imperium rising and falling in those in between 10k years.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Orks finally invent solar power

Pretty sure Orks are solar powered. They're green after all. So my theory is the tyrannids use them as solar panels, eliminating their need to eat and starting an artistic and cultural renaissance.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Orks are fungi so they grow best in warm darker places.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 20, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

David D. Davidson posted:

Orks are fungi so they grow best in warm darker places.

Do you trip if you eat them?

Asking for a friend.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Uh well:

https://youtu.be/f5tnVODuI-g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Well If it's good enough for the emperor it's good enough for me!