Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Wendigee posted:

They banned alcohol+caffeine beverages in the US several years ago.

Land of the free indeed.

You can still go buy a hand gun whenever you want though.

I've never really understood outlawing alcoholic energy drinks. People have told me before it has something to do with discouraging drinking with a younger crowd, others say it's for health reasons because of the alcohol and energy drink combo, but either way if you can legally buy a bottle of vodka or whatever, there's nothing stopping you from picking up a case of Redbull or your energy drink of choice while you're at it and pouring them together into a glass, it's a fairly popular drink.

It might not be super good for you, but neither is a lot of stuff, and I don't think I've heard of anyone dying from drinking one of those or even anything super serious happening unless maybe they had some preexisting condition. Alternatively, if it's to discourage young people from drinking, I'm pretty sure they were popular because it's a cheap tallboy at the convenience store, not because people can't figure out how to pour a high ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Didn't it cause a bunch of insane poo poo to go down at like every college simultaneously? Like a bunch of alcohol poisoning cases. I think combining caffeine with alcohol blunts the depressant effects of the alcohol so you don't think you're as drunk as you really are, so you drink more than you normally would. Also you can still act out all the insanely stupid poo poo you want to do (or at least that frat boys want to do) under the influence of alcohol without that pesky drowsiness getting in the way.

I guess looking it up it also had "other stimulants" that were also removed from the product so who knows how those interacted with alcohol.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
But yes you can still just make a mixed drink with it, you just have to be aware of the possible effects. If anything four loko didn't even have that much caffeine, just 156 mg. Nowadays there are drinks that have almost twice that amount in a can.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
The problem with original recipe 4loko was that it didn't taste like alcohol, it tasted like candy, and you could put back two cans of it before you noticed the effects.

Dixville posted:

Didn't it cause a bunch of insane poo poo to go down at like every college simultaneously? Like a bunch of alcohol poisoning cases.

It caused the destruction of a rental house at my school. Campus-wide invite because someone had acquired an entire shipping pallet, come morning there was nothing attached to any wall in the house, all the porch railings were gone, windows broken, holes everywhere, garage door in the street somehow with blood on it. I gave my girlfriend a piggyback ride and fell on my chin on the sidewalk in time to see people having a front flip competition off the second floor balcony.

They should bring it back

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

OG 4loko was fuckin nuts. One can and you're having a blast. Two cans you're trying to break open parking meters but not for the money inside, just cuz.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i never had an original 4loko. part of me is disappointed and part of me feels incredibly lucky.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

it wasn't magic and it wasn't like meth or joose or whatever. it was just really cloyingly sweet so college kids would drink a ton of them quickly and get really hosed up. relive the magic in your own home by drinking too many vodka red bulls

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Been trying them Ghosts lately since I just started a job where I have to get up at "gently caress You" in the morning. Every flavor I've tried so far has been close to the thing the can says which is unlike so many other energy drink flavors

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Ghost are real nice op i like the citrus one and the watermelon one

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
ghost energys are too drat sweet but I just tried faze pop and was impressed by the sweetness not being overpowering and hope the other flavors follow suit

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
The trick with Ghost is that it needs to be a sour flavor. Faze pop has that lemon element, sour patch kids and warheads are sour candy. When it doesn’t have that acidic element, like the Swedish Fish and orange cream flavors, it’s just weird.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
OG 4Lokos were wild, I still remember the way the Gold can smelled after I threw up on myself.

Sparks was another caffine/alcohol mix that got changed

I'll have a silver RedBull maybe 3 times a year

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

BAWLS

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I was going to get some Ghosts after reading this thread (your street teaming works) but despite there being a big "GHOSTS" sign at the door of the convenience store, there weren't any in the actual store. This was a small store in the middle of nowhere so maybe that's why.

:sss: :tbear: Oel ngati kameie Los Ingobernables de Onsite BYOB
Seared tuna steak, served with ponzu sauce and wasabi.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 07:55 May 03, 2015 posted:

sometimes i rub Fabreeze on my hands and now my hands are very dry.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 04:55 Apr 10, 2017 posted:

It was nice knowing you all. Sometimes.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Is Monster Hydro still a thing? I found one purely by accident at a gas station while pulling an all nighter a couple years ago and it was shockingly drinkable for an energy. I got a couple Watermelon flavored ones and slammed them back like they were nothing.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Thread delivered, I enjoyed a sour Ghost more than I liked the sweet ones. Also it's kind of wild that this is a sugar free energy drink because it somehow is really well balanced as if it had sugar with the sour version.

Q_res posted:

Is Monster Hydro still a thing? I found one purely by accident at a gas station while pulling an all nighter a couple years ago and it was shockingly drinkable for an energy. I got a couple Watermelon flavored ones and slammed them back like they were nothing.

It's been a while since I've seen one.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
Monster is even selling alcohol versions of their swill called Beast now. I don't think it has caffeine though.

Another day in the life of Randabis...

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I used to fill a cup with ice and a monster and add jagermeister to fill the rest

People questioned my taste

They were right

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

In 2008 there was a Monster slurpee flavor called Black Ice. It turned your mouth dark purple and your turds dark green.

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist

Car Hater posted:

I used to fill a cup with ice and a monster and add jagermeister to fill the rest

People questioned my taste

They were right

My wife will still do a shot of jager and chase it with Red Bull or Monster. I find Claussen pickle juice to be more effective though. I cant smell Red Bull without wanting to puke now. Plus a $4 can always goes to waste. I knocked one over in the fridge and was nauseous for a week.

----------------

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Nikumatic posted:

apple flavored nos is maybe the only drink on the planet where i can't taste the sucralose or w/e they added to it, so it's obviously made by wizards

Took me a while to track down a NOS sonic sour, wish I had known about these a decade ago.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

i didn't even realize nos had flavors

all i know is blue one purple one green one

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

It would help if I wasn't so dead-set against the energy drink taste they all seem to share. I don't feel like spending three buck on something I'm going to take a single sip of and pour out, so I don't experiment much. I've probably missed out on dozens of drinks that I'd like - but jesus loving christ, that energy drink taste is loving foul.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I can't tell if I've become acclimated to the taste or not but it was what originally kept me from them so I understand; there's definitely plenty of normal ones but you have to try to so many to find them. For what it's worth I think Mountain Dew Amp just tastes like Surge.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Dixville posted:

Didn't it cause a bunch of insane poo poo to go down at like every college simultaneously? Like a bunch of alcohol poisoning cases. I think combining caffeine with alcohol blunts the depressant effects of the alcohol so you don't think you're as drunk as you really are, so you drink more than you normally would. Also you can still act out all the insanely stupid poo poo you want to do (or at least that frat boys want to do) under the influence of alcohol without that pesky drowsiness getting in the way.

I guess looking it up it also had "other stimulants" that were also removed from the product so who knows how those interacted with alcohol.

when sparks was a thing, I drank 8 of them while visiting a friend at their college, and there was a fight going on outside randomly on the street, and naturally I decided the best idea was to run out into it and just start hitting people indiscriminately. I ripped my shirt off which had all my money in the pocket, threw it in the trash, and then started swinging on people. stupid, wild times with that poo poo. did things I would never normally even think of doing.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

hark posted:

when sparks was a thing, I drank 8 of them while visiting a friend at their college, and there was a fight going on outside randomly on the street, and naturally I decided the best idea was to run out into it and just start hitting people indiscriminately. I ripped my shirt off which had all my money in the pocket, threw it in the trash, and then started swinging on people. stupid, wild times with that poo poo. did things I would never normally even think of doing.

why did they ban this stuff, this sounds like a fine ol' time.

----------------

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Found this at a local store, seems to be Austrian but marketed towards Saudis. It’s just straight up Red Bull, no complaints

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I've only seen that once and it was at a gas station in San Luis Obispo. I recognized it because of this

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
If you are someone who thinks Gatorade is too sweet stay away from the new energy Gatorade because drat it's like drinking homemade (by me) Koolaid. Now personally I am down with that but I thought I would put that out there.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm still mourning the Monster M-80. Monster Ripper is not the same.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Aussie Lemonade is still my #1. poo poo is so drat tasty.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

rndmnmbr posted:

Took me a while to track down a NOS sonic sour, wish I had known about these a decade ago.

looking forward to trying one, NOS is the only energy drink that "works" for me. All other caffeine just makes me tired, so a single NOS has me grabbing a rake and fighting a brush fire in the park next door.
One of the ingredients is a sugar with antidepressant effects called "inositol" which should actually be the punchline to a Simpsons joke about nerds.

crimes

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I'm trying ASHOC this morning, passionfruit flavor. It's supposed to be ~all natural~ which I don't really care about but it tastes pretty drat good. Zero sugar with 200mg caffeine too which is pretty good. Will probably try the other flavors at some point.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I want to shake hands with the beverage scientist who made the "sour heads" bang that managed to taste sour without managing to BE sour. so i can then hurl them into the sky like a discus.

crimes

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib

BaconCopter posted:

Aussie Lemonade is still my #1. poo poo is so drat tasty.

They just started selling it in 4 packs. It's absolutely the best flavor of sour energy for real. Plus, it looks like piss.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
drat,, makes me wanna go down under

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Grip It N Rip It

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

watermelon adrenaline shoc best energy drink even if it frequently takes two days for me to drink one because of how much caffeine is in there.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

I miss Pepsi X. It was around for like a year or something but it was p good.

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

Wendigee posted:

They banned alcohol+caffeine beverages in the US several years ago.

Land of the free indeed.

You can still go buy a hand gun whenever you want though.

This never made sense considering you can literally order this at any bar (Vodka + Red Bull).