Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I mean that construction of that whole area is going to have metra and highway construction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/NFLNotify/status/1664620378352918529

4k passing season inc

*Is not gonna consider that he is doing this against first and second year CBs in practice as JJ is not at OTAs*

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Where would tailgating be held?

Designated tailgating cube which is adjacent to the freight elevators on the ground floor.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I flew from the UK for two Lions games over Thanksgiving in 2013. The Packers were the opponents on Thanksgiving, but they didn't have Rodgers so the Lions shellacked them 40-10. At some point in the fourth quarter when the game was out of hand, a Packers fan in a jersey and hard hat (?) lifted up the sleeve of his jersey, flexed his muscles and kissed a tattoo of the Lombardi trophy which had the Packers wins numbered below it. I found it genuinely hilarious

Please stop inspiring me to fly to Manchester, I’m begging you

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Gonz posted:

I’m gonna throw an idea out there. Tell me if it’s too extreme or not.

Underground Bears Stadium & Entertainment Complex

Never again shall weather interfere with a Bears game. The stadium will be 300 feet under the Earth in a climate controlled reinforced titanium sphere. Huge freight elevators will deliver fans to the games. The ground level is just a series of parking decks and an enormous series of Colossus of Rhodes-style statues of Bears greats.

"Your expectations for us can't get any lower, but our stadium can!"

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Hot Diggity! posted:

"Your expectations for us can't get any lower, but our stadium can!"

“Now that we play on bedrock, we can only go up from here!!”

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rectal Placenta posted:

They should move to beautiful Joliet

The Gary Bears would offer the most intimidating atmosphere in the league.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

I was at that game too! The guy next to us was inexplicably a Packers fan with no ties to Wisconsin or the surrounding area (I think he was actually a Detroiter who I believe said he played at Oregon State?)

Could be worse, at my last job our Service Manager had a bunch of Bears memorabilia and was a huge fan and got a lot of poo poo for it. I asked him where he was originally from in Illinois and he said he wasn’t. Then I asked if he went to college there or lived there for a spell or something and he was just like :shrug: nope

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

T-Square posted:

Could be worse, at my last job our Service Manager had a bunch of Bears memorabilia and was a huge fan and got a lot of poo poo for it. I asked him where he was originally from in Illinois and he said he wasn’t. Then I asked if he went to college there or lived there for a spell or something and he was just like :shrug: nope

Did you ask him how he became a Bears fan?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Do you guys ever think about what if Justin Fields had a good line?

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

xbilkis posted:

Broke rear end McCaskeys realized they might not get money and tax breaks from Cook County so they’re pretending they might actually go to Naperville instead

https://twitter.com/kpowell720/status/1664710862362296321

Feels like you don’t really have that much leverage when you play this card after investing $200m to buy the Arlington Heights site, but what do I know

Hearing all of this in Tim Heidecker's voice as Decker

E: the statement, not your post

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

T-Square posted:

Basically me without the plethora of memorabilia at work.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/NFLNotify/status/1664620378352918529

4k passing season inc

*Is not gonna consider that he is doing this against first and second year CBs in practice as JJ is not at OTAs*

I remember all the reports out of 2021 training camp about Jared Goff's offense shredding the 1s on defense and thinking hey, they might have something here. Nope, turned out the offense was just mediocre and the defense was the worst in the league

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Sataere posted:

Seems like the pertinent next question

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Sataere posted:

It sounds good on paper, but what happens when the mole people invade?

Recruit them to solve the issues with Chicago's pass rush.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Bears are mad that the county is assessing the value of their property at the exact loving price they bought it for. I don't know what argument they can possibly make to change that.

Anyway, the McCaskeys are terrible at business and this stadium will likely end up being a huge disaster which is why I pray that taxpayer money does not go into funding it. Remember how bad the Soldier Field renovations were botched. Still hoping they just sit on the land and sell the team.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Sataere posted:

Yes, and he refused to elaborate lol

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

T-Square posted:

The truest kind of Bears fan

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Niwrad posted:

The Bears are mad that the county is assessing the value of their property at the exact loving price they bought it for. I don't know what argument they can possibly make to change that.

Anyway, the McCaskeys are terrible at business and this stadium will likely end up being a huge disaster which is why I pray that taxpayer money does not go into funding it. Remember how bad the Soldier Field renovations were botched. Still hoping they just sit on the land and sell the team.

My house assesses tax wise for a decent chunk less than I paid for it.

The city is dicking them decently hard. In a way most people wouldn't get.

Now it's still gently caress them they are billionaires, pay up. They can afford it.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

tinstaach posted:

I remember all the reports out of 2021 training camp about Jared Goff's offense shredding the 1s on defense and thinking hey, they might have something here. Nope, turned out the offense was just mediocre and the defense was the worst in the league

Same with the 2022 training camp.

Turns out it was a top 5 offense and literally bottom defence.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

T-Square posted:

The 80s were a hell of a decade.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Dexo posted:

My house assesses tax wise for a decent chunk less than I paid for it.

The city is dicking them decently hard. In a way most people wouldn't get.

Now it's still gently caress them they are billionaires, pay up. They can afford it.

That's the thing though, they can't afford it. They can't afford to build a stadium. The McCaskeys don't have nearly enough money to get their stadium built, so every extra penny they spend means it is even more difficult for them to get to their goals. It's honestly hilarious how badly the Bears have bungled this.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
If the McCaskeys are running low on money, I suggest selling the team.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

sweet geek swag posted:

That's the thing though, they can't afford it. They can't afford to build a stadium. The McCaskeys don't have nearly enough money to get their stadium built, so every extra penny they spend means it is even more difficult for them to get to their goals. It's honestly hilarious how badly the Bears have bungled this.

Yes they can. They can in the same way all billionaires operate, by taking out loans against their absurdly valuable assets. the McCaskey's can extremely afford to pay the loving taxes on that land even if it is high.

They aren't like loving Jerry Jones or other comically rich person rich, but they are still very very wealthy.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

If you can own a team, you're rich. You can cry poor all you want, you can get the lovely Mark Davis haircuts you desire, but you're not poor and you're not broke. The only thing more insane is fans believing it and letting them get away with the lie; it doesn't benefit you to stand up for them like that, it never will, it doesn't benefit your fav team's performance, it never will

If they and you insist they're not rich actually, then sell the loving team and move on with your lives

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I think George McCaskey does believe he deserves money from the cities/counties/state for providing such an excellent product, and that he finds it abhorrent to think he'd make slightly less money if he had to pay a few percent interest in loan interest over paying for something out of pocket like Jerry Jones

Sell the team. Hell, sell minority limited partnership roles and fund everything with that Steinbrenner style.

Edit after looking up how Steinbrenner afforded the Yankees, turns out he leveraged capital calls against the other limited partners to dilute their equity when they wouldn't pony up. Lol at the idea of the McCaskeys having that happen to them since their cash flow sucks

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 3, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
They should sell the team to the city

Of Buffalo Grove. They'll have to put it on the lake county side though for the same tax reasons

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I hate the McCaskeys so much, because I think the Bears were the singular most valuable sports franchise in the USA over the last 3-4 decades. The NFL took over the sports landscape, they had no competing team locally, and did absolutely zilch with it. Just incredible myopia the entire time.

And it wasn't like they were making the team popular through their own management. The only noteworthy thing they did in that era is announce a coaching hire before it was agreed to

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Or they just need to call up that Madigan guy everyone does in order to lower their assessment like everyone else

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

HootTheOwl posted:

Or they just need to call up that Madigan guy everyone does in order to lower their assessment like everyone else

Word has it he's busy but I'm imagining they had this as their original plan

I wonder if they even bothered to get financing worked out at low interest rates or just sat with their thumbs up their asses until now

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I love how the bears operate how I do when budgeting which is to forget the tax when making a big purchase.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Dexo posted:

Yes they can. They can in the same way all billionaires operate, by taking out loans against their absurdly valuable assets. the McCaskey's can extremely afford to pay the loving taxes on that land even if it is high.

They aren't like loving Jerry Jones or other comically rich person rich, but they are still very very wealthy.

They could do that, but they won't, because they're far too entitled to put any of their own assets at risk over the stadium deal. They want a taxpayer bailout. I seriously doubt that we will see any movement on a stadium anywhere from the Bears until they convince the taxpayers of some poor town to pony up some dough. The McCaskeys are trapped in a hell of their own making and it is hilarious.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

You guys are really overreacting to what is basically a step in the negotiation process. The idea that they somehow hosed up by purchasing a huge chunk of land in the Northwest suburbs is laughable.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Please stop inspiring me to fly to Manchester, I’m begging you

You're perfectly ok to fly to Manchester, I live absolutely nowhere near it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think people think rich people are way more flexible than they are if you think they can buy a large track of land and then just change what they do with it mid plan.

That’s not how that works

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

You're perfectly ok to fly to Manchester, I live absolutely nowhere near it

I meant to go see a man city game irl :shobon:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think people think rich people are way more flexible than they are if you think they can buy a large track of land and then just change what they do with it mid plan.

That’s not how that works

I think you are assuming they are more stuck than they are. Land is an investment. It only goes up in value. If they don't want to wait, they could just build houses or condos there and triple their return.

They own a billion dollar franchise. They can easily find a way to take out a low interest loan if they absolutely have to. But they won't have to because they will get tax breaks because that is how this works. This is all a part of the negotiation process.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Tract

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Sataere posted:

You guys are really overreacting to what is basically a step in the negotiation process. The idea that they somehow hosed up by purchasing a huge chunk of land in the Northwest suburbs is laughable.

Sure but it's much funnier to pretend they're cheapskates, even though every billionaire in history throws around nickels like they're manhole covers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

GNU Order posted:

Sure but it's much funnier to pretend they're cheapskates, even though every billionaire in history throws around nickels like they're manhole covers

This I can get behind!