Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Big Gold Belt is far and away my favorite title design. Created by silversmith Charles Crumrine in 1985, the physical belt represented four distinct Championships: the NWA World Heavyweight Championship, the WCW World Heavyweight Championship, the WCW International World Heavyweight Championship, and the World Heavyweight Championship (WWE). Four championships over four decades. While I could ask whom was the best wrestler to hold the belt, I'm almost certain Ric Flair would win. Instead, I'm asking which REIGN of the Big Gold Belt was the greatest. After the popular response to the Greatest Match of the '00s Tournament (won by Kenta Kobashi vs. Kensuke Sasaki from Pro Wrestling Noah Destiny) and the Greatest Pay-Per-View Event of the '90s Tournament (won by ECW Heat Wave '98), I thought I would take a bigger, yet smaller, scope. You, the goon with time to vote, will determine whose reign as Big Gold Belt holder was the greatest, and I realize I'm a bit clumsy with the wording.

Unlike previous tournaments I've done in PSP, this will be bracketed. As such, I have taken the top 64 reigns in terms of length of time held, with tiebreakers going to most televised defenses, and highest-rated televised defense according to Dave Meltzer's star ratings beyond that. Apologies to David Arquette.

We begin WITH....

Hulk Hogan's first WCW World Heavyweight Championship reign vs. Edge's fourth World Heavyweight Championship (WWE) reign

Hulk Hogan's first WCW World Heavyweight Championship reign:
-won from Ric Flair at Bash at the Beach '94
-lasted 469 days
-featured eight title defenses, the highest-rated being a steel cage match against Ric Flair at Halloween Havoc '94 (****1/4)
-lost to the Giant at Halloween Havoc '95

Edge's fourth World Heavyweight Championship (WWE) reign:
-won from John Cena at No Way Out '09
-lasted 49 days
-featured two title defenses, the highest-rated being the match he...
-lost to John Cena at WrestleMania 25 (***1/4)

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Voted for Hogan. I hate myself

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Rarity posted:

Voted for Hogan. I hate myself

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

The Giant was involved with both of these title reigns ending, but only one also had monster trucks

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

It's a good one Edward

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Boo to all the cowards who voted for Hogan.

Boo..... to me..... :negative:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The same match where giant fell off of cobo hall into a river several blocks away

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Voting for the one where Big Show fell to his death and then reappeared a few minutes later with no ill effects

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ron garvin

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

JOHN CENA posted:

ron garvin

You'll have your chance to vote for Garvin eventually.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

cant wait to actually get to vote for the giants reign!!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
With 89.47% of the vote, Hulk Hogan's reign advances.

OUR NEXT CONTEST...

Alberto Del Rio's first World Heavyweight Championship (WWE) reign vs. Triple H's fourth World Heavyweight Championship (WWE) reign

Alberto Del Rio's first World Heavyweight Championship (WWE) reign:
-won from the Big Show in a last man standing match on SmackDown!
-lasted 90 days
-featured four title defenses, none of which received a star rating
-lost to Dolph Ziggler on Raw

Triple H's fourth World Heavyweight Championship (WWE) reign:
-won from Randy Orton at Unforgiven '04
-lasted 85 days
-featured three title defenses, the highest being a triple threat against Chris Benoit and Edge on Raw (***3/4)
-was stripped of the title due to a double pin in said triple threat match

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I dig this matchup Edward. and I don't mind saying the finale of ADR puts it over the top. There is no implication that I endorse any of these people and there never will be.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Voted Del Rio cause at least losing it was memorable

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I don't remember either of those reigns but the way the Triple H one ended sounds very silly

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Del Rio's is this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKqtFqpRLEk

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Ah, that was long after I stopped paying atttention to WWE. Crowd seemed to love Ziggler winning it, though the action was a lot more even than I was expecting

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Can you imagine a crowd being that excited for Dolph Ziggler?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

ChrisBTY posted:

Can you imagine a crowd being that excited for Dolph Ziggler?

People really wanted someone new at the top beyond Cena, and Ziggler was in career-best form at the time. I guess he’s found a comfortable niche as the guy expected to put on a good title match when they need a challenger of the month at a PPV, but at the time, he was someone new, and different from the big stiffs stinking up the top of the card.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Remembering the time I was such a Ziggler mark I wore an rear end-cape to a goonmeet :unsmith:

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
Them start-stopping Ziggler over and over is one of those things that really made me hate WWE over time. Like someone who holds out something you want towards you, tells you to take it, then pulls it away when you try to grab for it, but they keep doing it for nearly a decade. Eventually, I just started to hate Ziggler, and I still do.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I already didn't like Ziggler but for a real dumb reason. When he was in the Spirit Squad he was Nicky but I liked the other guy in the Squad named Nick better (because he was in the Tough Enough season featuring Miz) but the company renamed him to Mitch instead of renaming Ziggles

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Remember that time period when Ziggler kept cutting promos about how he was underused and underappreciated, but the whole time he would scream real loud until his face was red because that's what WWE thinks a passionate promo is?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Held my nose and voted for Del Rio :mad:

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

You made me vote for Hogan (before I realized voting was ended) and ADR as the best. I hate you.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Bonk posted:

Remember that time period when Ziggler kept cutting promos about how he was underused and underappreciated, but the whole time he would scream real loud until his face was red because that's what WWE thinks a passionate promo is?

I was on Instagram the other day and saw the segment where he did this and Steen completely shut him down, Ziggler threw out some lovely joke Steen's weight and got owned

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 18, 2023

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
Voted for Del Rio because the end of the reign was great, and I don’t really want to vote for Triple H in this particular tournament.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

lamentable dustman posted:

You made me vote for Hogan (before I realized voting was ended) and ADR as the best. I hate you.

There are a lot of poop from a butt champs in this tourney. We're gonna get 5(?) chances to vote for Jeff Jarrett.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

ChrisBTY posted:

There are a lot of poop from a butt champs in this tourney. We're gonna get 5(?) chances to vote for Jeff Jarrett.

Jeff Jarrett isn’t in this tournament, due to his only occasions holding the Big Gold Belt lasting less than 7 weeks. It WAS WCW in 2000.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
where the gently caress is the people's champ Vacant?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
With 76.19% of the vote, Alberto Del Rio's reign advances.

OUR NEXT CONTEST...

Masahiro Chono's sole NWA World Heavyweight Championship reign vs. Hollywood Hogan's fifth WCW World Heavyweight Championship reign

Masahiro Chono's sole NWA World Heavyweight Championship reign:
-won against Rick Rude during the 1992 G1 Climax (title was vacant)
-lasted 145 days
-featured five title defenses, the highest rated being...
-lost to the Great Muta at Fantastic Story in Tokyo Dome (****1/4)

Hollywood Hogan's fifth WCW World Heavyweight Championship reign:
-won from Kevin Nash on Nitro
-lasted 69 days
-featured three title defenses, none of which received a star rating
-lost to Ric Flair in a first blood steel cage match at Uncensored '99

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Voting for the guy whose day job was getting off of helicopters that had just landed on rooftops. :hai:

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

:lol: 1999 WCW

Jerusalem posted:

Voting for the guy who stole a Dome main event from Naito. :hai:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

There's no way I can vote against a title reign that lasted 69 days

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

zetamind2000 posted:

There's no way I can vote against a title reign that lasted 69 days

Same tbh

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

I am way too scared to not vote for Chono

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I picked the reign that wasn't the harbinger of WCW's creative tailspin.