Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Endorph posted:

was it a game where the players weren't all together seeing each other's scenes? like a werewolf game or something where the person running the game would do one on one RP with someone and the players had to solve some kind of mystery relating to each other?

If the dude was using that to spring weird sex stuff on people, that seems very much like taking advantage of the game's format to be a creep.

Yes, these are games where not everyone is seeing everything that is going on.

I feel like opening this with extremely incomplete information isn't going to be particularly helpful.

Full disclosure: I'm a member of that same community--which, yes, is on Discord--and I was a player in these same games, though I was not directly involved in any of the incidents listed, and I would like to wholeheartedly disagree with much of the framing that's presented here--though I'm naturally wordy and this is going to warrant more explanation than a single sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

everythingWasBees posted:

specifically designed the games so that people are forbidden from discussing for sharing concerns with one another because it "spoil the plot' and created situations where staff can't be held accountable for anything that happens. in doing so they basically go against every safety and community guideline for pretty much every modern RP community.

included themes of sexual assault without warning anyone, despite the game's numerous other content warnings, because " it would be a spoiler and threaten the sanctity of the game"

These are referencing the same incident, in the game IMG--Infinite Magic Glories, which is a LARP adapted to the Discord format--and since it might be in question, was not written by Podima, or by anyone in the community. Characters are prewritten, and there's a casting process--which does include trigger warnings about what people feel comfortable dealing with in the course of the game--there is a lot of drama between characters, and there's a lot of themes that the game attempts to explore and discuss.

Meinberg posted:

The worst stuff did happen off site though. I’ll see if I can find anything, but I imagine that I’ve been removed from any discords that have any specific receipts. I can say, though, that in the second game where bad stuff happened, I was assigned this character to play: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iqACiju_RoJtYaluMgI1ZSOzkZOtlT-AcX4KrtD0EW8/edit

Despite offering complaints in discord about the sexual violence of the character’s backstory, I was told to ignore the concerns and at the time I believed that was the best course of action, despite later events (as described above) leading me to regret that decision.

This was, indeed, the character that was referenced. The--accidentally hit post, so I'm going to be locked out of writing even more for ten minutes.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Endorph posted:

Okay, so, when you asked to like, tweak your character's backstory, which contained this paragraph

Podima got mad at you and refused to let you change any of it.

Because that's pretty loving weird.

That was the character Meinberg was assigned. As I understand it, did raise it as a question, talked through playing it with the mods--and yes, as shown, Pod talked about what he thought the authorial intent was--and ultimately decided that they were fine going ahead with it as written. And I believe that there was a further check-in, to which Meinberg expressed that they were still fine with it. This is not a case of "change was requested, Pod was mad"

After the game began, rather than bring up with the gamerunners that "Actually, no, I know I said I was fine with it but I've realized that I'm not", they proceeded to privately message other players about "Hey, my character is actually terrible, and this is the mods' secret fetish". I can't really speak to why Meinberg made this decision. An offshoot discord was formed, which included someone spectating the game taking screenshots of other players' private correspondence with the mods ('confessionals', private channels for communicating concerns with the mod and generally making notes or working on characterization, and which some players choose to have open to spectators), and sharing it. Understandably, this created a significant schism in the community, which did eventually split.

quote:

'btw weird sex poo poo was happening offscreen in that RP you were in, constantly, and you didnt know about it'

Hey, guess what, it wasn't. I get the sentiment, but hyperbole really isn't helpful. There's all of two incidents at play here. If people want to think differently of Pod than I do, that's their choice, but it should at least be on the facts as opposed to a game of telephone that he's some kind of serial non-con ERPer who likes to drag people in unwillingly.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

EorayMel posted:

Wait is this a(n erotic) RP based on a 1990's point and click adventure?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/63610/Riven_The_Sequel_to_MYST/

This?

RP yes, ERP, no, save for the fact that that scene (which I do think was ill-advised, but I also never felt the need to go and read it). The game was basically set up as "Hey, if the video game doesn't happen, how does the conflict go down". Pod did not write it.

And please

quote:

look. were people playing in this game without initially being aware the game contained this kind of thing? that is, at the moment play started, were there any people in the game who did not know about the girlfriend robots, or whatever the second 'incident' is? if the second incident happened after play started, were there people in the game who did not give permission for it and were not aware it happened? this is a yes/no question.

Yes.

By second incident, I refer to the Riven thing (which was the first thing to happen). Except for those two, I don't think anyone was even aware that it happened until postgame.

renessia posted:

This was Pod's response to some folks expressing concern over how the sex-doll game was being handled.

This was, I believe, after the formation of the offshoot discord that was harvesting private communications.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

CyberPingu posted:

Can I ask a genuine question

Why is it that modmins have this protective barrier that stops them from bring banned?

Like stuff that regular users would be booted for just seemingly gets their privs removed. It's like being knocked down the hierarchy where you can only be banned at the bottom rung

I’d point out that even the people that brought this all up in the first place have been saying “this doesn’t warrant a ban, but I don’t think he should be an admin.”

I know that as the person defending him I don’t have a lot of credibility here, but despite the phrasing of the title and the original post, this is not a matter of him being a sex pest, or even a creep, and much more along the lines of poor judgment calls in community management, which he has specifically owned up to, apologized for, and learned from in the multiple years (5 and 2 respectively), since they happened.

There has been a lot of people posting “Riven Sex RP” repeatedly, but literally none of those people were a part of this—it’s pure goon telephone. It was a single scene in a long game of that had like two mods trying to manage something like 50 people, and was in no way some planned thing at the start of the game, which otherwise didn’t have any remotely sexual content—mostly just people dying to ecological disaster.

The community, as a whole, was less than great about what made for a safe and sane experience. As Jen touched on, there was this general feeling that this was all something New and Daring. Which, yeah, is kind of being full of ourselves. But it wasn’t some top-down thing, it came from pretty much everybody—including some of the posters in here, one of whom wrote an article on these games as a new thing. And that lead to a lot of mistakes. Riven was way too many people, resulting in extremely overworked mods trying to do way too much. But people had fun. Future games were smaller. The follow-up ran way too long, became too much a Part of Life, but it was one of the most fun games a bunch of us had played despite that—future games were shorter. The one after that—another adapted LARP, a later effort by the people who made IMG—was only about two weeks long, but people were on and active for too much of it, without enough time to step away and just be themselves—and it was met with as I remember universal acclaim. Future games were spaced out more to force that kind of disconnect. Every failure came with a lot of successes attached, and that lead to a widespread feeling that yes, we would stumble in the future, but that we could just learn from mistakes, because things would otherwise work out. And I want to emphasize that Podima was not kind of sole originator of this attitude.

Then the signature problem of IMG was… basically that whole communal attitude in and of itself. That self-important feeling of this being some nascent thing that was worth pushing boundaries for. And that wasn’t something that the game could just trundle on through and resolve after the fact. It was bad, it was messy, and a lot of mistakes were made. A lot of people—Podima included, and myself included, didn’t manage to step outside of that feeling to give a critical eye in the moment.

That was a lesson that we all ultimately came around on. Those boundaries, that safety, is something we proactively try to address now.Too late to avert disaster, but it did happen. Podima was never some magical realm creep, just a guy who got too caught up in a game and made some bad choices, while he was in a community leadership position. And those are experiences he learned from, as he himself said when he apologized and stepped down. He’s a person—as someone who values the ability to learn from mistakes, I would say a good person—not a cartoon pervert.

If you think that’s banworthy, that’s your opinion to hold, but I really think it’s important to evaluate this on the first-hand facts, and not the reductive shitposting that fills a lot of this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

The fun didn’t excuse any of the issues. Far from it. It’s what led to us continuing to make dumb mistakes, because we thought it was alright. It was a fuckup.