Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
The torture stuff happened during the playing of the Riven megagame, which you can find a link for here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851229

The worst stuff did happen off site though. I’ll see if I can find anything, but I imagine that I’ve been removed from any discords that have any specific receipts. I can say, though, that in the second game where bad stuff happened, I was assigned this character to play: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iqACiju_RoJtYaluMgI1ZSOzkZOtlT-AcX4KrtD0EW8/edit

Despite offering complaints in discord about the sexual violence of the character’s backstory, I was told to ignore the concerns and at the time I believed that was the best course of action, despite later events (as described above) leading me to regret that decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Endorph posted:

Okay, so, let me get this clear. Podima advertised for a Discord game of some variety on these forums, you joined. You were given a character with a giant backstory about sexual assault without your input (by Podima?) You were told (by Podima?) to ignore your discomfort with this. The fact that anything like this would be a part of the game was not mentioned to you before you joined. Is this correct?

correct

WarpDogs posted:

Was it Podima specifically that wrote up a 18 pages of backstory about an evil autistic kid who builds sex robots of his female roommates because they won't return his advances? and then assigned it to you?

Podima did not write the characters. He simply refused any edits from their original writeups, which were designed for a game of much shorter length and presumably one with some manner of safety tools and ideally content notes about the sexual content. Said game was one he had played in and thought was cool.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Endorph posted:

Okay, so, when you asked to like, tweak your character's backstory, which contained this paragraph

Podima got mad at you and refused to let you change any of it.

Because that's pretty loving weird.

I did manage to save a screenshot of that convo, actually, when discussing the matter with some friends at the time. I feel bad for not having done more to push back at the concepts of the character at the time, to be honest, but there was a fair amount of peer pressure to comply.

Admin edit: removing the link because of privacy

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

FWIW, I do not think that Podima is a sex pest. I do think that he doesn’t understand the effect that being in a position of power enables him, and this carelessness leads to abuses that while not intentional are still harmful. I don’t think he deserves a perma or whatever, but I agree in stating that I feel uncomfortable with the idea of him as an admin.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

The slave girl was inspired fairly directly by Anthy in Utena, though in that series the whole situation around Anthy is fairly well known and described as hosed up, indeed the hosed upedness of the objectification of women is perhaps the core theme of the series. In IMG, the slave girl was depicted as being freshly created (hatched from a magic egg), and desperately down to gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

everythingWasBees posted:

this is legitimately the first I've heard from pod since everything happened. this is the first a lot of these players have heard from him since anything happened. during this whole thread pera had been pming and dming people to tell them that I'm an evil gaslighter misleading them.

me talking to friends was " harvesting private communications".

im happy with the outcome. but I do take issue with the " everybody has apologized and owned up to everything".

If anyone had apologized to me at any point in the past year and a half, I’d have very different feelings about the goings on, I think. Instead, the last communication I had with the group was them essentially putting me on trial for the evil of talking about the game with other people.

And yeah, peramene had PMed me as well, saying that I have it all wrong and I’m being gas lit and of course being very incensed that she was being denied her claim to the running of Riven.