Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

hello. I'm probably going to permanently lose my account over this, but podima is probably not a good choice for an admin. they shouldn't even be a mod but he was well liked and spent months doing damage control so I didn't feel like stirring the pot.

on some of the games that they helped host and run, they have:

specifically designed the games so that people are forbidden from discussing for sharing concerns with one another because it "spoil the plot' and created situations where staff can't be held accountable for anything that happens. in doing so they basically go against every safety and community guideline for pretty much every modern RP community.

included themes of sexual assault without warning anyone, despite the game's numerous other content warnings, because " it would be a spoiler and threaten the sanctity of the game"

conducted an extended torture scene of a player done incredibly fetishistically, without the consent or knowledge of other players present in the game, and created a running joke in the community to make fun of people who were uncomfortable

has repeatedly refused to ban sexual assault and rape from games, but also refused to warn for such content, because in his eyes writers should be able to include content without limits. in doing so, he completely ignores the safety and comfort of players

this kind of person shouldn't be responsible for moderating the content of a forum game, much less the content of a forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Peachfart posted:

Was this stuff done on the forums or on Discord? It is gross either way, but at least we can have links if it was on SA.

recruitment was done on the forums for each and all the games were done on discords.

because any ooc chat about the games was against the rules, people never really knew what was going on until afterwards when they compared notes, or if they were already talking with friends and debating leaving.

because it was all on discord, a lot of people just wanted to wash their hands of it and not speak of it again. pod was just an ik and it wasn't on the forums directly and practice over the past few years has always been to ignore that kind of stuff.

genuinely only bringing it up because he was made an admin.

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 19, 2023

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Endorph posted:

was it a game where the players weren't all together seeing each other's scenes? like a werewolf game or something where the person running the game would do one on one RP with someone and the players had to solve some kind of mystery relating to each other?

If the dude was using that to spring weird sex stuff on people, that seems very much like taking advantage of the game's format to be a creep.

there would be like 20 separate areas that players could move to each night. you could only see what happened that day. there would be dozens of days and it would be structured with secret roles like werewolf.

things like the torture scene or " this player has sex dolls of two of the other players. it's a core part of the plot that we can't spoil" were only revealed after the game.

I left the game I was in on bad terms for different reasons, but then when talking to others a bunch of this stuff spilled out when we actually compared to notes.

this is all like forum rp drama and it feels silly to bring up except podima was the moderator for the forum rp subforum. managing this was his responsibility, but he also directly ran some of these games

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 19, 2023

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

WarpDogs posted:

Was it Podima specifically that wrote up a 18 pages of backstory about an evil autistic kid who builds sex robots of his female roommates because they won't return his advances? and then assigned it to you?

he " edited and rewrote it to remove some of the more potentially problematic content"
it was based off of a larp that was run at a few conventions. some of us talked to players and it turned out that this specific game repeatedly had a lot of problems and concerns about this stuff which was ignored.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

here's the warnings we were given (in a discord comment because we don't have access to the original anymore). none of this talked about the sex dolls. a lot of the content wasnt discussed. whenever someone raised concerns we were told to " trust the staff and the writers."

this is a pretty lengthy list! you could usually assume it to be exhaustive. you usually don't expect there to be a racist Korean caricature with sex dolls and a fixation on "supreme leader" but hey I guess we were meant to expect that.

we were also told repeatedly that " Yeah some of the stuff hasn't aged well. we're going to be spending a few months going through and editing and rewriting things because of that."

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

so the game with the extended torture scene was the riven game. i can't speak to that directly because i didn't play in it.

the one with the autism sex dolls was meant to be a "sailor moon/utena" type game about what's essentially a highschool reunion.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Kild posted:

What the gently caress does harvesting private communications mean??

poo poo happened, we left a game, and made a server with friends to talk about it.
that's it.

we were then accused of being evil and gaslighting and abusive because we wanted to talk about what the hell happened with others. and everyone we talked to ended up going "oh i thought i was the only one." and then revealing more about the game.

the games are literally structured so your only discussion of the game is 1:1 with mods. it is against the rules and banworthy on the server to discuss the game as it's happening with others, because it would compromise plot.

we weren't told about the weird sex dolls of our characters. we weren't told about the npc who the staff member playing described as "a head empty bimbo slave girl" who was described as incredibly childlike that happened after we left. there was a bunch of "secret endgame plot content" about our characters that we weren't warned about at all because it would be spoilers.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

peramene posted:

I want to be absolutely clear about this, because I see that this is already devolving into the same inane nonsense it devolved into last time Bees tried this on my discord server.

I ran Riven. Podima assisted, often kicking and screaming, to make my dream a reality. It was, largely, still a tremendous failure.

He is not responsible. I am the OP on the forum thread. I am the owner of the discord server. (idiots)

Conflating these two games and hiding my ownership of Riven was willfully manipulative, of the exact sort of character I have come to expect from Bees et al.

oh hey, thanks. you're loving late. you started off with a misrepresentation that better served your narrative, and now you're walking it back. anything else you want to clarify?

Pod played the character performing the torture. Pod dismissed concerns about sexual violence in the game, and was responsible for IMG (the sex doll game as everybody has named it now). You ran Riven, but Pod assisted. Pod was also the mod for the forum in which recruiting was performed on, and if i remember correctly staff on your server. Pod repeatedly turned "people being uncomfortable about his torture scene" into a running joke. Pod is directly responsible for a lot.

I didn't include anything else about Riven because I wasn't in it, and only discussed the bit Pod was responsible for. I've heard a lot about the other games but you weren't nominated as admin. How he ran IMG, how he dismissed player concerns, and how he used personal information about the players to amplify emotional intensity was all hosed and should be disqualifying as an admin.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

legit just happy to bury all that forever

e: not wrt thread closing, thread can stay closed or open at this point ive said my piece

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 19, 2023

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

vyelkin posted:

I've just finished getting caught up on this thread because a lot happened during what was overnight for me. Most of the online roleplaying-specific stuff went way over my head but a lot of this seemed like obvious problems with consent, like "don't pressure people into doing something they don't want to do because it's central to your vision of something." Thank you to the people who came forward to share info, publicly and privately, and thank you to the people who helped explain that no, none of this was normal in whatever community was doing it.

idk I wanted to say more here but my brain is still just going wtf so I'll leave it at that and say I think it would be good to raise admin names in public. I would have thought that something this disqualifying would have come up when Podima was made IK or mod in TG but clearly it didn't, which means it's something that could happen again, so we should make sure it doesn't.

he was in an ik position while all of this was happening. I don't know when he was made mod because I'm going to be honest. it's very hard to tell the difference between IK's and mods half the time and they're listed in the same place on the forum.

I didn't want to raise anything because like, even during this thread, other people who had legitimately talked to me about some of these things were getting dms about how evil and gaslighting I am. He/was is beloved by the forums community. Peramene, the permabanned user, was incredibly celebrated as being an incredible writer who made some of the best and most engaging and intense games people had ever played.

I figured he would be the IK of a community but that means very little, and all my friends had already left had or talked about how I had personally betrayed them and their community and were no longer my friends, so I figured it would all it would be a one-off thing that I could just bury.

also it was all offsite discord rp poo poo in a community that would spend three to four hours a day every day rping. the whole thing sounds insane and I figured nobody would treat any of it seriously because what the gently caress.

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Mar 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

I know that as the person defending him I don’t have a lot of credibility here, but despite the phrasing of the title and the original post, this is not a matter of him being a sex pest, or even a creep, and much more along the lines of poor judgment calls in community management, which he has specifically owned up to, apologized for, and learned from in the multiple years (5 and 2 respectively), since they happened.

this is legitimately the first I've heard from pod since everything happened. this is the first a lot of these players have heard from him since anything happened. during this whole thread pera had been pming and dming people to tell them that I'm an evil gaslighter misleading them.

me talking to friends was " harvesting private communications".

im happy with the outcome. but I do take issue with the " everybody has apologized and owned up to everything".