Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

This may or may not devolve in to a project thread. It absolutely is a place where everyone can take enjoyment and amusement in my idiocy.

Enter the 2009 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S.

550 horsepower and 554 ft/lb of torque, 390mm two piece rotors, PDCC, air suspension, electronic locking diffs, a low range transfer case and a tow hitch (with a factory 3500kg rating).
And an equal amount of deferred maintenance.
There is probably a reason that something that had an MSRP of $195,000CAD in 2009 can be now purchased for 10% that. How bad can it be?

Oh, I am finding out. Almost every day.

At least it's paying for itself.

Well, let's take care of the basics.

I just know it's going to be in this position a lot. (*cough* phrasing *cough*)

Yup, rounded off drain plug. Checks out.

Nice factory exhaust work though. 3" piping all the way. No resonators or centre mufflers.

Anyways, this replaced an EcoBoost F-150, so it has to start towing things. Well, a dual axle horse trailer.
Factory tow hitch means factory trailer brake controller plug under the dash.

Wait, what is that? Oh good, aftermarket alarm. That will come out later.

Tekonsha makes an adapter harness which makes a Prodigy P3 plug and play.

Initial towing test: successful. The PDCC (hydraulic swaybars) make a noticable difference. So does the extra 130 ft/lb of torque over the F150.

Back to more deferred maintenance.
Let's try for an easy win. Cabin air filter.

Oh cool, there are a pair of 12V plugs in the front passenger footwell.

Down comes the access panel.

Date code indicates that it was original. Yup.

Next, model designation delete.

Yeah, that's a purple hue. Because one of the layers in the ten layer paint is purple. There's also a layer of amber and gold in addition to the seven layers of grey and silver.
Lava Grey Metallic is going to be difficult to paint match. Which is not great since there's a 25mm sized rust spot on the drivers door and a 75mm sized rust spot on the rear passenger door.

So far, it's not that bad, right?

Hmmm, that is only ending up there due to excess crank case pressure.

Let's take a look at the Air Oil separator and PCV's.

This engine has two PCV's. Which have never been replaced. One has failed open (the one that vents everything into the drivers IC piping) and the other failed closed (the one that allows the crankcase to vent).

Oh and the vent hose to the IC cracked in two.

These hoses are just a dumb design. Apparently even Porsche thought so since there's barbs on all of the Norma fittings. Which work perfectly with 3/4" PCV hose.

Access is not terrible. It's not great, but it's not terrible. You just have to remove a few things to get to anything. Like the airbox.

That's better.

One new combo PCV valve (with a 2022 mfg code) installed.

Next up, the missing front cup holders.

It seems that alternating with little wins and large issues will be the norm from now on.

Yup, this one is going to suck.

Instead of ripping out the head unit, how about I just add a Bluetooth 5 adapter.

Success! Is Holy Diver this vehicles theme song? No. That would probably be "Your Addiction" by Night Club.

Yeah, that would be the reason for the bulb out warning. Yes, that is a chunk of salt.

More deferred maintenance. The power steering and PDCC reservoirs have integrated filters and just like everything else, have 2008 date codes.

Significant swearing was involved with removing the inlet and outlet hoses from both reservoirs but I did not snap anything.

The replacement owners manual arrived (from the UK, since there are none available in North America).
Reading it cover to cover was how i spent the most recent Friday night. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I spent today completing a 700km round trip to pick these up. Because the factory 21" wheels HAVE to go. I hate them. Along with the 35 aspect ratio tires.

RUF Carrera 4 replicas. A set of 4 fronts. 19x8.5 +52.

So what is going to fail next? My money is on the transmission.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
IN ON THE GROUND FLOOR

It won't be the transmission. Right bank turbo. That's my money.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Just gonna bookmark this real quick.

God speed.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Fuel pumps are apparently a common failure point as well.

Would recommend Trans fluid to see condition and at this age probably not a bad idea. The magnets will give you a better sense of how worn things are inside.

19's will also ride much nicer than the skinny sidewall stuff.

Make sure to exercise the low range and diff lock, another common failure point as the actuators sit unused for years.

Enjoy the little sunvisor above the rear view, it's a shame it was removed in the newer gens.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Well that didn't take long!

In order to transport the wheels back home, I had to fold down the rear seats.
The rear seats are a 60/40 split. The center upper seatbelt trim piece is missing.
This has now allowed the seatbelt to retract enough with the bench folded down that the retraction lock mechanism has engaged which has effectively trapped the bench from being folded back up.
The only way to fix this: Unbolt the lower seatbelt anchor. Which is a triple square M10 single use bolt.

So I get to expand my toolset and order a rather vital interior trim piece. Woohoo!

What did I say, entertainment.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010

McTinkerson posted:

Which is a triple square M10 single use bolt.

I have worked on a lot of different car makes. Maybe I just never noticed the others having a lot of single use bolts (other than head gasket stretch bolts), but I think it safer to assume you cannot reuse anything VAG since working on my Audi.

Paid $22 for a e20 torx socket the other day to get a 1 nut off my Suburban's front seats. I know I have one somewhere as the seats have been out before (even have the gearwrench ratcheting wrenches for the other bolts) but damned if I can find it.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

And for the next glitch, while running an errand yesterday afternoon, the warning for rear brake lights came on. Except all of the bulbs in the tail lights work.
Apparently the third brake light LEDs like to burn out and generally act very flaky.
When I fired it up this morning the warning cleared itself. :iiam:

So I should probably pull the third brake light assembly and give it a once over. gently caress ordering a new one though, I'll desolder the failed LEDs myself.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

A teaser until the spacers show up.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
The ideal rotor diameter to rim diameter ratio.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

A porsche as a replacement for a tow mule F150 is :discourse:.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

A porsche as a replacement for a tow mule F150 is :discourse:.

I concur. From a distance.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Gone are the factory 21x10 wheels on rubber bands.

On are the RUF wheels and Falken Wildpeaks.
They're just a little cheeky.

Air suspension at loading level is ridiculous.

Yeah, that's better.
Much better.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

sharkytm posted:

I concur. From a distance.

Not empty quoting.

I'm stressed out by this thread.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

McTinkerson posted:

Air suspension at loading level is ridiculous.

You mean ridiculously perfect. :swoon:

Now, does the $20 muffler delete work on the 957 generation?

Remove locating pin that was used at the factory to facilitate assembly.

Insert 2" corrugated muffler tube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MWSt0xh0QI

The complex theory behind this red-neck engineering

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Bajaha posted:

Now, does the $20 muffler delete work on the 957 generation?

Remove locating pin that was used at the factory to facilitate assembly.

Insert 2" corrugated muffler tube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MWSt0xh0QI

The complex theory behind this red-neck engineering

You magnificent bastard. I know what I'm doing this weekend!

Initial searches indicate that yes, this does work on the 957's.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

So many of y'all got awesome Cayenne Turbos and I'm doing my best to try to hold on for a while.

I'll just live vicariously through you.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

It's the "turbo" part that scares me. But maybe I've worked on too many GM turbos.

I can't even keep a Lexus running, so..

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

On the 957 engines at least, they are Mitsubishi TD04-HL. So the physical parts at least are cheap. And shared with lots of Volvos.
Now access, that is a whole other matter. Officially, Porsche says you have to drop the engine to remove a turbo. Unofficially, you don't but you're going to hate every second of not doing so.

I need to post the specs from the manual of what the OE accepted oil consumption is. It is rotary levels of "a lot".
Edit: So I feel right at home. :haw:

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 28, 2023

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

STR posted:

It's the "turbo" part that scares me. But maybe I've worked on too many GM turbos.

I can't even keep a Lexus running, so..

In this case the turbo part isn't scarey, it's the V8 part. As I found with my meth mobile, neglect, cold starts, and the lack of piston squirters means these have a reputation for scoring the bores and ticking themselves to death. Ironically they get mechanically totalled because high parts and labor costs combined with their low resale due to the scoring issue makes it a fools errand to keep the NA V8s running.

The turbo engines don't have this issue. As far as I know, the turbos themselves don't have a reputation for failing.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

In addition, these engines either N/A or turbo are first generation direct injection. They all run super rich during cold start and all are allowed to consume a fair bit of oil. If you aren't keeping the oil levels up and have the oil change intervals tighter to compensate for all of the fuel dilution in the oil, you are going to have a bad day sooner rather than later.

Edit: The ownership/maintenance similarities between one of these and a rotary are frankly equal parts terrifying and hilarious.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 28, 2023

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
How do the transmissions do in these things with towing long term?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

How do the transmissions do in these things with towing long term?

They (Toureg/Q7/Cayenne) all have an Aisin TR60SN/09D. Which includes the crazy V10 diesel Toureg. Same transmission. Clutch packs are rated for pretty much the torque of the V10 diesel/Turbo S and not a Nm more.

Personally, I will probably be upgrading the transmission cooler to a larger unit along with tossing in a shift kit.

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_300_d1.pdf

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 28, 2023

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

The factory cooler is pretty beefy for an OE cooler I'd say.

Full width, plus long aluminum lines to provide even more cooling as it circulates. I think the 958 also carries on with a similar sized cooler and 80SD Trans instead of the 60. Same base design but with two extra gears slapped in.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Two Month Ownership Update

Mechanical failures: 1
Left stranded: 0

Km since last mechanical failure: 3000km (1000km of which was a round trip to pick up the new wheels.)

Number of tows without issue: 5

Litres of oil consumed: 0.1 :dance:

In Summary:
We both loving love this thing and have zero regrets. It tows like a freight train on boost and the PDCC makes a huge difference when towing.

I've slowly been "ruining" it.

I also feel pretty drat good about paying less than half of what this one sold for.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2009-porsche-cayenne-turbo-s-22/
It even has less options! So either someone overpaid or I borderline stole mine.

Edit: Everyone should be ordering their bumper stickers from https://www.onehellofatown.com/category/car-accessories

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 8, 2023

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

McTinkerson posted:

Edit: Everyone should be ordering their bumper stickers from https://www.onehellofatown.com/category/car-accessories

Great stickers and stuff, she is also a p-car pervert. The rusty screw stain on the license plate are a nice touch.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Didn't we have another goon with a beater farm Cayenne? Anyway yeah this is cool I'm here for it.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Didn't we have another goon with a beater farm Cayenne? Anyway yeah this is cool I'm here for it.

Motronic has an even greater purpose built 957 Cayenne Turbo and was the inspiration for this one.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

McTinkerson posted:

Motronic has an even greater purpose built 957 Cayenne Turbo and was the inspiration for this one.

That 957 is an inspiration to us all.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I’m here to satiate the desire to replace our minivan with one of these.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Can't say I've really heard anything about Cayenne/Tourareg failing spectacularly or at all really. They seem to be a car that's surprisingly great at everything it was never originally marketed/sold for and everyone's finding out since they're all worth less than $10k these days. It's definitely on my list of "car to buy when I get back to the states".

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Four months ownership update

KM driven since purchase and maintenance baseline: 5000

Odometer now reads 188500km. Oil change completed.
Oil consumed: 0.0L

Mechanical issues: 1 (Of my own doing.)

Weird looks from others at equestrian competitions when towing: Countless.

So what's the deal with the next and newest mechanical issue?
The oil filter housing sits at the front passenger side of the engine immediately above the oil pan.
Directly underneath the housing is a loop of high pressure hose from the PDCC pump. The end of the loop bolts to a metal drain guide for the oil filter. The drain guide bolts via three M6 rubber isolation bolts to the front of the oil pan.
Two of the three bolts were broken when I bought it. I broke the third during the oil change.
Why are these special bolts used? Vibration and NVH isolation. Turns out that without them, the hose loop rests on the subframe and passenger sway bar bracket and causes an rpm depending hum that is very worrying. It makes it sound like the pump is dying.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/1252084-the-pdcc-hum.html

New bolts ordered (they are $2.50 each). For now, three strategically placed zip ties are keeping everything held together.

Additionally, I shuffled something around between vehicles in the fleet. The Count now has a new home.

He will help me count how expensive the next repair will be.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

McTinkerson posted:

I want this one:

But there is absolutely no chance I'm putting it on a car. Wonder if the mini would fit on an AR15 stock...

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Well that did not take long!

Chassis System Fault

Fault code as per the Durametric: 1400

What does it physically look like? The rear passenger shock is unable to let any air out. So it's stuck on terrain level.

Cost to repair [as read in the Counts voice]: $74

And that's for 4 new back pressure retaining valves.

What does the repair look like?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmGUiqj_K9c

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

What timing, that I find this thread today.

I am about to trade up from an '07 Mercury Milan (the MAGOO) to an '05 Cayenne normally-aspirated 6-cyl with 144K on the clock.

Came from an estate in Connecticut; a family friend picked up a pair of Cayennes for $6900. Husband & wife died 2-years apart, and their son wanted them gone.

'My' 05 (the wife's) has a bad alternator that sidelined it while they were both being driven back to New Jersey last week. They threw a new battery in it & drove the rest of the way. New alternator going in this week, then I buy it from him for $3K.

It's a 1-owner, all records including the purchase docs. The problematic valve in the transmission has been replaced. I'm pumped.

The family friend is keeping the V8 biturbo (the husband's), which is an '07 (IIRC). This past weekend, he changed the oil & PS fluid, and replaced the valve cover gaskets, which were quite lithic & leaking badly. Also new plugs. The galleys were full of oil; I have no idea how it wasn't throwing P0300 codes. Took him about seven hours.

Subscribed. :woop:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

One of us. One of us.
Congratulations!

So, turns out that it wasn't just the rear passenger valve. It was also the rear driver's side.

Which is an absolute bear to get to. Access is rather difficult. I have bruises all over my forearms and my skin looks like I exfoliated with a cheese grater.

If these are original, well that's not too bad.

Both are now replaced and everything is back to 100%.
The 1400 and 2250 error codes cleared all by themselves as soon as I ran the suspension through it's full range.

All that's now left for maintenance should be the serpentine belt "system".

Then the fun can begin. (It's meth)

Edit: I totally forgot to actually explain what these valves do. They're a safety valve that will never let the airbag deflate past ~50psi so that the suspension can never fully collapse. So in case of an air line being severed or leaking, etc you're not SOL. When the valves fail, they fail fully closed and do not let any air out whatsoever. So you're stuck on the highest suspension setting. Which will trip a chassis system fault if you ever try to drive above 100km/h. Because the suspension will always try to lower itself down for aero purposes.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 13, 2023

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

McTinkerson posted:

Then the fun can begin. (It's meth)

Go on…

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

That's going to have to wait a little longer.

Nine months ownership update

Kilometres driven since purchase & maintenance baseline: 13000

Odometer now reads 196500km
Oil change completed @ 194500
Oil consumption between changes: 0.0L

Mechanical issues: 1
Inner tie rods had a few mm's of play. Both inner and outer tie rods replaced and wheel alignment completed. Total parts cost: $400

Upgrades: 1 (Because I can't leave anything well enough alone.)
Circuit Werks secondary catalytic converter bypass pipes installed.
For some bizarre reason, the first generation Cayennes have 4 catalytic converters. With the second set sitting behind all oxygen sensors acting primarily as resonators and mufflers.
On the turbo models, this costs almost a full litre/100km in fuel economy and +30hp.
It now sounds like it has a cammed LS2 under the hood/bonnet. Which is awesome. The turbos are now also noticable, especially on initial throttle tip in and lift off.

Summary: The experiment is at this point still a success. Over 50% of the km driven have been towing a horse trailer and they have been flawless.
Zero complaints at this point in time.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Well poo poo. Technically, nothing that is Porsche specific has failed.

Edit: 48 hours later and I have a new tire. Got lucky that there was barely any wear on them so the ODs were close enough.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 12, 2023

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Prior to the small tire issue, I tackled a little more maintenance back in early November.

Turns out that when you're pushing 550hp through 255 wide AT tires and towing a bunch, the traction control system gets a proper workout. By extension, so do the brakes. Who knew?

The pad wear sensors for both rear wheels tripped on the dash right around 198k km.
New pads and rotors (354mm diameter shared with the fronts on a Cayman interestingly) totalled $400. The economies of scale are working in my favour.
(Unlike the front 380mm brakes. A single new front rotor is $1600CAD. :shepicide: )

The rotors are very much below the minimum thickness.

Parking brake pads still have juuuuust enough life left. Or so I keep telling myself because I hate working on drum brakes.

In go the new OEM spec pads. I had a reasonably hard time finding aftermarket pads like Hawk LTS or something similar. Then again, the factory compound, while dusty, is very effective.

New shiny rotors. They are heavier than they look.

New pads and wear sensor. The pad weights are a new thing for me. No previous vehicles had them.

Everything reassembled in just under an hour. Nothing fought me.
The only "special" tool was a larger torx bit for the impact driver to remove the rotor.

Even pad wear inside to outside and they certainly tripped the sensors at the right time.

The other side took 45m with me taking my time.
The local Porsche dealer quoted $2800 all in. They are absolutely insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Eleven(ish) months ownership update

Kilometres driven since purchase & maintenance baseline: 16502

Odometer now reads 200002km
Oil change due in 500km
Oil consumption between changes: 0.0L :parrot:

Insert Ralph's I'm in danger meme here.

So what lovely and no doubt expensive maintenance is due at 200k km? The ignition system. Carfax indicated that something was done 50k km ago but if that was the mandatory coils and plugs, well I doubt it.
All new coils and plugs cost just shy of $600. Which coincidentally was the same price as the coils and plugs for the 3.5EB that this replaced.

As usual, Pelican Parts has a pretty good DIY article.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techar...Replacement.htm

Off comes the drivers side coil pack cover. Which on the turbo engines also requires removal of the air box lid due to clearance issues.

Drivers side was super simple and straight forward. Nothing was stuck, snapped or stripped.
All plugs could be threaded back in by hand.

Passenger side also requires removal of something just like the drivers side. Specifically the torque brace. Both bushings looked good too.

Zero issues with coil and plugs on this side as well.

That being said, six of the eight coil packs had cracks the length of the body. One was so bad that the body was two pieces.

There were zero misfire codes present. Not even pending. The M48.51 is a stout engine, I'll give Porsche that.
It does idle and rev significantly smoother now though.