Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
The Wicks are like the recent Planet of the Apes trilogy to me - they're each different enough from each other that it's reasonable and understandable for everyone to have their own preferences on which one they like best.

For me, wick 1 just falls apart on rewatch after Daniel Bernhardt goes down. I don't even bother watching the fight of Keanu vs Michael Nyquist, even though it is a good emotional wrapup to the movie.

Wick 2&3 go way too far into the mythology for me, but have phenomenal lighting and camera work. My favorite scene of any of the 4 is the hall of mirror art against henchmen+ ruby rose, it's just so beautifully done.

And then 4 just dispenses with everything and is an overload of action. Ive gotten really into action the last few years, I try to watch Adkins/Jacobus interviews with people about behind the scenes info, and I absolutely loved just how overstuffed 4 is. But it's easy to see how it could be too much to someone who hasn't immersed themselves already in the genre.

MariusLecter posted:

Oh and I would have LOVED if they had cast Till Lindemann as Killa Harkan because I immediately got Keine Lust vibes from his character and the setting being in Berlin night club.

e;
I had to check the imdb cast info to be sure it wasn't him lmao

They probably had to use Adkins specifically for that to save on time/production budget. To my knowledge, it's the only action scene in any of the Wicks that wasn't extensively rehearsed - Stahelski just let Keanu and Adkins figure it out on set like they were Jackie Chan and Benny Urquidez. I'm not sure who else could have done that villain role without prep that's European - Bernardt, maybe Alain Moussi? (Notably, they both are in the Nobody bus fight).

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

In case anybody's interested, that Continental spin-off on prime started a short while back. It's... alright, I guess? Competent action and solid performances.

But at the same time, it feels barely connected to the movies beyond the basic plot. The overall aesthetic is grimy and decrepit where the movies were sleek and stylish. The action leans on shaky cam and slow motion instead of wide shots that let the choreography shine. Even the treatment of the assassins feels more like "look at these weirdoes and how out of place they are" when half the fun of the movies is the way they just take it completely in stride.

I get the impulse of wanting to do their own thing and adopting a different, lower-level perspective. But at the same time it doesn't really feel like it's leveraging any of the strengths of the setting/movies.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It's definitely "what if John Wick but edited and paced like modern TV instead of cinema." I enjoyed the first episode for what it was.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
What’s the gold coin situation like?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Consummate Professional posted:

What’s the gold coin situation like?

There was just chocolate inside :(

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Isn't The Continental a prequel? I haven't read anything about the plot or watched any trailers but everything about the ads I saw made it look like "Young Ian McShane and Lance Reddick vs. Mel Gibson", like, they might as well have called it Continental: Begins. Would kind of explain, in the most boring way possible, why things don't look like they do in the movies. Things are getting from here to there somehow, within the 30 years of McShane's life as concierge.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Casting Gibson put be off the entire series, which I’ve loved since I randomly caught the beginning on HBO in a hotel room.

Johnny Cleanslice
Apr 25, 2022
Isn't the grime an intentional 1970's New York thing? But yeah gently caress Gibson and gently caress sldiing him back on screen like nothing happened. I'm not warching poo poo with him in it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, the first episode was alright as it’s own thing. It looked good with solid production values and performances. The open action scene was not really in the style of the movies but great in comparison to other television. I’d probably keep watching if it wasn’t for Gibson. I hate seeing him on screen, even in a limited role as a villain.

Kinda surprised he told the role of “racist rear end in a top hat.” It’s accurate casting but you’d think he’d want to distance himself from such depictions.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
Don’t care about Gibson is in it. But have no interest in an expanded universe at all.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
Maybe a romcom when John meets his wife for the first time. And it just focuses on that. But John steps away randomly out of camera during their date and comes back suspiciously a bit out of breathe

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

GateOfD posted:

Maybe a romcom when John meets his wife for the first time. And it just focuses on that. But John steps away randomly out of camera during their date and comes back suspiciously a bit out of breathe

Covered in blood. And every time he leaves you can hear some muffled Le Castle Vania music playing in the distance while he's gone.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

A physical comedy where John is mostly just falling down a series of increasingly improbable obstacles.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I think Keanu would actually be masterful in a slapstick comedy.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Lobok posted:

I think Keanu would actually be masterful in a slapstick comedy.

Yeah see the opening of Coppola’s Dracula

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Young John Wick gets commissioned to assassinate pinko metropolitan journalist Clark Kent.

"I'm gonna need bullets... Faster bullets."

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The show seems to have the same problem as a lot of modern television: it doesn't know if it's pulp or prestige and so does neither well. It's also just way too loving long and glacially paced.

Episode 1 ends with 'we need guns, we need vengeance' and then episode 2 begins with the plot completely at rest again. Because you need to pad your hour and a half episode.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

GateOfD posted:

I'm pretty sure there are already a ton of woman falls for a hit man rom coms.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The prequel is Gross Point Blank right down to there being assassins everywhere

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

My big issue with continental is how grimy everything is - it just doesn't feel very John Wick. Those movies apart from action had all those opulent over the top locations that were interesting to look at. I'm not here for some cops run down apartment

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

weekly font posted:

gently caress, Keanu could do a Grosse Pointe style comedy as John Wick. I really do think his reactions is a straight man would play incredibly well in comedy with just a little tweaking.

But that's one of my favorite movies from my childhood so I may be biased. Hell, bring cusack back and just work in a dumb cameo, I'd be game for that too.

So far every criticism I've seen of the Continental is accurate, only seen the first episode but it was very slow which led to us talking through most of it, and still not really losing much of the plot due to the slow burn nature.

Seeing 1970s New York is fun, but "serious prestige" type feel doesn' work when you have ridiculous action where everyone is nigh invulnerable to melee fights, but bullets are either weak as hell or instant kills. Need to play up the ridiculous action or dial it back, they're in no man's land.

Winston is fun as a character, though I'm not sure if the actor is doing a good job channeling Mcshane, but I enjoy it.

I'll watch it just to see the dumb way they throw Keanu in the last thirty seconds in a pointless flash forward. But I'm still holding out hope the show ends with a baby being born and handed to two parents, with a "congratulations Mr and Mrs Wick" gently caress you to the audience.

Covermeinsunshine posted:

I'm not here for some cops run down apartment

Yeah, while I didn't mind watching the sex scene because she's attractive, what was the point of this extended view of her poo poo apartment? Padding and sex appeal I imagine.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It's set in the 70s, right? Every filmmaker wants to recreate the filthy New York of the 70s and 80s as depicted by Scorsese, Lumet and Friedkin.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's set in the 70s, right? Every filmmaker wants to recreate the filthy New York of the 70s and 80s as depicted by Scorsese, Lumet and Friedkin.

Sure but this being John Wick related one would imagine this is a chance to show hyper colorful lsd ladden 70s. It would at least match movies 2-4 better

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I dig the show going after the 70s new york post-apocalyptic vibe. It's very different from the cinematic flashiness of the clubs Wick finds himself fighting in the movies, and I appreciate that different direction. The sets seem well made.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

weekly font posted:

I was going to say, I guess thats what the Wick-verse looks like in a random exurb of Detroit. Even down to the...surprisingly well-choreographed hallway fight that ends with the hero improvising a pen into a deadly weapon.

Grosse Pointe Blank is great. Underrated movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Lobok posted:

Covered in blood. And every time he leaves you can hear some muffled Le Castle Vania music playing in the distance while he's gone.

Also his cover whenever he dips out has to be that he works at the railroad and there's a lot of trains with no further explanation and everyone is fine with that.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Xealot posted:

I was going to say, I guess thats what the Wick-verse looks like in a random exurb of Detroit. Even down to the...surprisingly well-choreographed hallway fight that ends with the hero improvising a pen into a deadly weapon.

The way Cusack kills Aykroyd is incredible

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

weekly font posted:

Yeah see the opening of Coppola’s Dracula

That movie had a side-scroller tie-in game that was probably set in the John Wick universe, or The Matrix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8DILAy40Bk

No wonder he's such a legend, he killed Dracula with karate.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Mel Gibson is so loving awful in The Continental. They must've let him do whatever he wanted, cause it feels like he's in a completely different show. Very hammy and DTV.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

live with fruit posted:

Mel Gibson is so loving awful in The Continental. They must've let him do whatever he wanted, cause it feels like he's in a completely different show. Very hammy and DTV.

He's probably hoping to strike meme gold with such over the top performances, he was the same in Boss Level. Now that movie had Big Performances throughout, but Gibson was just annoying.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Xealot posted:

Part of the fun is that it feels like a movie John Cusack's High Fidelity character would write

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Did anyone finish the Continental? I got bored halfway through the second episode when I realised it had been 40 minutes and nothing had happened. Do they ever correct that?

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Snowman_McK posted:

Did anyone finish the Continental? I got bored halfway through the second episode when I realised it had been 40 minutes and nothing had happened. Do they ever correct that?

I had plans to watch the second one. I still haven't watched the second one.

Probably will but it's not an urgent thing for me and will possibly slip my mind. Shame.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Snowman_McK posted:

The third one is almost all action.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That pacing is wack

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Ok that 3rd episode is more like it

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Ok that 3rd episode is more like it

How's the action? And how it is compared to the movies?

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Heliotrope posted:

How's the action? And how it is compared to the movies?

Its not on the level of the movies but it is pretty decent. They do bring a bit of movie zany with coke snorting katana assasins and hungarian matchete wielding receptionists so there is that. I don't think it makes up for slog of first two episodes (and the fact we have to endure mel gibson) but its decent episode

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Laughed my rear end off at the complete obviousness of what was going to happen when the bar first came into frame, he’s gonna run straight for it. Bottle shooting gallery!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

That was a fun finale. I like how the series leans into the comic book style of the universe. The action is dumber than the movies, not quite as choreographed but more silly situations set up, it's fun. Too bad about the terrible antagonist, but I guess he won't come back if they decide to follow up at all? :shrug: