Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

DarklyDreaming posted:

I liked that because the movie seemed to go out of its way to make him unremarkable. In a franchise defined by flash he's noteworthy by dressing like Just Some Rich Guy's Bodyguard. The audience recognizes him every time he does something badass like catch an arrow

EDIT:

Short version: They're more useful as flare guns, a lot of conditions have to be met before you can reliably set someone on fire by shooting them with one

That makes me feel a bit better lol

Every now and then you see something in a film like this and it’s like are … we doing that now?

Also that fat herman in the water palace has to be some kind of famous fighter or something right, great character he had a face like the mayor in a nightmare before Christmas lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Saw it this afternoon and goddamn it ruled. It’s hands down my second favorite Wick after the first. It’s a beautifully shot movie too, probably the best looking of the whole series. I loved Caine using motion sensor door chimes in the Osaka gunfight. What a movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Crystal Thenis posted:

That makes me feel a bit better lol

Every now and then you see something in a film like this and it’s like are … we doing that now?

Also that fat herman in the water palace has to be some kind of famous fighter or something right, great character he had a face like the mayor in a nightmare before Christmas lol

He was played by Scott Adkins

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

CelticPredator posted:

He was played by Scott Adkins

holyyyy

from Sutton Coldfield too, my mind is blown

that fat-suit is up there with the whale

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wish John wick killed the whale that movie is gross

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
lol the food binge was like a deleted scene from requiem for a dream

I’ve heard a lot about JW4 being the jumping off point for the universe and guessing nobody and the ninja babe from the start are going to have their own shows or something?

also really weird emotions at Charon in this film. I felt very upset and creeped out but got over it once the movie started proper.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Crystal Thenis posted:

I’ve heard a lot about JW4 being the jumping off point for the universe and guessing nobody and the ninja babe from the start are going to have their own shows or something?

also really weird emotions at Charon in this film. I felt very upset and creeped out but got over it once the movie started proper.

There's going to be a series about the Los Angeles Continental, I'm sure they'll show up at some point because there really aren't a lot of re-usable characters still alive in this franchise.

Really though I gotta wonder if the High Table is gonna collapse within ten in-universe years or so. So many higher ups dying in a short span, ordinary thugs openly exploiting the system for more money with no repercussions, poo poo's unstable

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Crystal Thenis posted:

what's really weird is i thought they would introduce ana de armas by now but nope here's three more spinoff characters for you!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

and what the heck happened to Common

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Alan Smithee posted:

and what the heck happened to Common

For a second I thought mr nobody was gonna be related but then remembered that only happened like a week ago in universe

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

DarklyDreaming posted:

There's going to be a series about the Los Angeles Continental, I'm sure they'll show up at some point because there really aren't a lot of re-usable characters still alive in this franchise.

Really though I gotta wonder if the High Table is gonna collapse within ten in-universe years or so. So many higher ups dying in a short span, ordinary thugs openly exploiting the system for more money with no repercussions, poo poo's unstable

I’m thinking that nobody is the prince of the sewers or something and has a relation to Morpheus

you are totally right there has been so much death, maybe that’s going to be the joke. instead of Kenny they can start killing off any stars who play the bad of the week.

there were a lot of beautiful shots and moments and things with light happening. it could either become something stylish up there with hannibal or just some real off-brand trash. do you know where it’ll be streaming lol? HBO max vs paramount plus.

Alan Smithee posted:

what's really weird is i thought they would introduce ana de armas by now but nope here's three more spinoff characters for you!

yeah that’s really strange. I legit forgot ballerina was a thing till this post lol

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Crystal Thenis posted:

I’m thinking that nobody is the prince of the sewers or something and has a relation to Morpheus

He has more of a Cowboy/Survivalist vibe, I mean he has a gotdang lever-action rifle. You just know he's got a shack out in a forest somewhere that he built with his own two hands :clint:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Crystal Thenis posted:

yooooo those rounds

is that poo poo real

thinking of some monster in a bombed out Ukraine village using that poo poo my gosh us humans

Oh it’s real. The movie just embellishes how truly flammable the attackers are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP4FjODPDFA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd_V3dsNyA0

Gonz fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 25, 2023

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Also, fun fact, Klaus of "I am Klaus" fame is played by Sven Marquardt, long-time bouncer at Berghain in Berlin, the infamous nightclub the one in the movie is based on.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

DarklyDreaming posted:

He has more of a Cowboy/Survivalist vibe, I mean he has a gotdang lever-action rifle. You just know he's got a shack out in a forest somewhere that he built with his own two hands :clint:

He also did the gun twirl into the holster with his pistol. I was hoping that would be his thing but he only did it once.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Also, fun fact, Klaus of "I am Klaus" fame is played by Sven Marquardt, long-time bouncer at Berghain in Berlin, the infamous nightclub the one in the movie is based on.

I think it was also the inspiration for the Berlin level in Hitman 3.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

DarklyDreaming posted:

EDIT:

Short version: They're more useful as flare guns, a lot of conditions have to be met before you can reliably set someone on fire by shooting them with one

And, from what I understand, they're fairly dangerous to use. They're packed with magnesium so it burns hot enough to potentially damage the barrel and the power can burn incompletely and some it can fuse to the barrel.

But they're kind of like Teflon bullets, people mostly know about them from news reports about 'the dangerous new weapons minorities want to use against your family'.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 25, 2023

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
It still didn't reach the heights of the original as a film/narrative, but in terms of action spectacle, this was the best one.

The extended falling-down-the-stairs sequence was like a top-three moment of the whole series for me. I personally also loved the top-down video game sequence, although I imagine a lot of folks in the general audience will be put off by that. I also like that John Wick is absolutely impervious to blunt-weapon damage. You need a sharp-edged weapon or a gun to harm him, and ONLY if he's not wearing his +192419513 kevlar suit. I did enjoy the sound design of what sounds like a hundred bullet shells falling out of his jacket and then his vest as he took them off for the duel.

Real talk: does that club in Berlin exist? Can I go? Or that spa in the first movie? Jesus Christ the locations in these films are so incredible.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Space Jam posted:

I think it was also the inspiration for the Berlin level in Hitman 3.

I can believe every set piece in John Wick movies are also Hitman levels.

Speaking of video games, John does the throw-empty-gun-at-enemy-head thing several times. It's an essential part of Superhot.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

surf rock posted:

Real talk: does that club in Berlin exist? Can I go? Or that spa in the first movie? Jesus Christ the locations in these films are so incredible.

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/where-was-john-wick-4-filmed

quote:

There’s the church and, conversely, there’s the nightclub—where was this and did any Berlin spot in particular serve as inspiration?

That’s a place called Kraftwerk in Berlin. I go there when I go to Berlin—they usually have art exhibits. It’s an old electrical plant from the 60s and 70s, when it would have been East Germany, and they've converted it into an all-purpose event space that still feels pretty industrial.When the idea came for this big water set in a big club, I said, “Well, let's go to Kraftwerk and talk those people into letting us take over this place.” Because of COVID, they were still sort of shut down and they were excited to have us. Normally, that place is booked up solid—you can’t rent the place out for more than two weeks at a time, and we needed it for two months. But we were able to build waterfalls and all of this.

And then the exterior is the National Gallery in Berlin, it’s an old and palatial building, very grand and famous. We wanted it to feel like Berghain, a famous club there, so we took our cues off that place. It’s pretty crazy there, an old, old building that is this neverending club on the inside.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
scott adkins looking like a costume for bob in tekken

that paris traffic scene needs to be in a tekken or something, full with the traffic hazard

such is life, lance reddick

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
Klaus was a unit, great to hear the trivia from that.

Also surprised the scene at the end with the duel wasn’t 100% CGI and on location apparently

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't know how real it was, like if the car was being towed and they CG'd that part out, but the extended circle strafe drifting shootout Wick does in his car around that one group of cars in the Arc scene was incredible. One of the coolest car moments I've seen in any film.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

is there like no doubt in anyone else's mind they will make a 5th

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I don't know why there would be doubt considering a 5th was announced in August 2020, Stahelski reconfirmed it was still planned last May, and this one's already on pace to make more money than 3 (which was the biggest financial hit of the franchise so far)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I appreciate your enthusiasm considering loving husband might give some pause

but not me that's for sure

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Just read that at a Q&A with Reeves and Stahelski after a screening, Stahelski said that in a single market the movie has a second credit scene and that people will have to wait for it to leak onto the internet to find out what it's about.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Loved it. Absolutely insane action set pieces and honestly a pretty decent story.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

John Wick 4 is an all time top 10 action movie.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Lobok posted:

I don't know how real it was, like if the car was being towed and they CG'd that part out, but the extended circle strafe drifting shootout Wick does in his car around that one group of cars in the Arc scene was incredible. One of the coolest car moments I've seen in any film.

That looked real. Only thing that was clearly fake was when his car got knocked on its side

As for the story I've completely forgotten why I should care about the elder and all that. But is this the first time we know
Winston is johns dad? Or was the "my son" simply a term of endearment

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 26, 2023

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Question. Is the Paris church from the endgame also in that lovely Assassins' Creed game where the glitches were the best part?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I wanted massive fights broken up by pseudo philosophical cheese and I got exactly that. Good movie

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Question. Is the Paris church from the endgame also in that lovely Assassins' Creed game where the glitches were the best part?

If you mean Sacré-Coeur and AC: Unity, no. Wasn't built at the time Unity took place.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

mastershakeman posted:

That looked real. Only thing that was clearly fake was when his car got knocked on its side

As for the story I've completely forgotten why I should care about the elder and all that. But is this the first time we know
Winston is johns dad? Or was the "my son" simply a term of endearment

Term of endearment and to reveal that Winston was a former member of Famiglia Roma too.

I mean, starting your movie with a revenge killing of a character that you've recast may have not been the most prudent choice.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
that osaka continental really reminded me of the hong kong missions in hitman codename 47/contracts

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Term of endearment and to reveal that Winston was a former member of Famiglia Roma too.

I mean, starting your movie with a revenge killing of a character that you've recast may have not been the most prudent choice.

Why did they recast that part anyway?

Loved this movie (and series). Perfect action cinema.. decent story (good enough without being bad), brilliant set pieces and wonderful world building.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I was just glad to see the famous Osaka crab I know well from all my times in sotenbori

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
This movie loving ruled. Went to see an IMAX showing and it was full of people who enjoyed it. Near the end, when Nobody's dog pisses on the corpse of the henchman the entire theatre broke out in "oooh"s and laughter.

Also good to know I wasn't the only one whose mind jumped to Hotline Miami during the Paris fight scene.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I enjoyed the radio station's call sign, WUXIA.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
John Wick 4 ruled.

My hope is in 5 he fights his way out of hell to be reunited with Helen or something just as bonkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Gatts posted:

My hope is in 5 he fights his way out of hell to be reunited with Helen or something just as bonkers.

If they do another one I can see them doing a Godfather 2 type duel timeline, with a storyline in the past showing us Wick's one impossible task and a story in the present following Winston, Caine, Mr Nobody and the rest of the supporting cast dealing with the fallout from John's death