Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Screw that. Put Keanu out to pasture. Let him have Sanada style roles in action movies where he shows up for one fight , two at most. Just have him and stahelski work on other ideas they have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Enjoyed the fights but the bulletproof clothes got a little ridiculous. I know they introduced it at least back in the 2nd but I don't remember the fights being so focused around it, like with all the times they're holding their jackets over their face for cover? Funny that the troops in armor during the Osaka scene seemed to be more vulnerable to random gunfire than the guys just wearing suits.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Tangents posted:

Enjoyed the fights but the bulletproof clothes got a little ridiculous. I know they introduced it at least back in the 2nd but I don't remember the fights being so focused around it, like with all the times they're holding their jackets over their face for cover? Funny that the troops in armor during the Osaka scene seemed to be more vulnerable to random gunfire than the guys just wearing suits.

I think the idea is that the armoured guys aren't that skilled, just heavily armed and armoured, while the suit guys are actual elite fighters and so able to roll with punches/gunshots better.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Term of endearment and to reveal that Winston was a former member of Famiglia Roma too.

I mean, starting your movie with a revenge killing of a character that you've recast may have not been the most prudent choice.

I liked that. It compressed the whole reason John has to look beyond simply getting revenge into a single scene. No matter how many he kills, there will be more to replace them.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I saw the movie today. I was disappointed. The movie was boring.
Multiple fight scenes that lasted way too long.

Apologies for the ADD rant

From what Ive read people seem to love it or have been bored by it.
I for one enjoyed the story/ world they built in the previous movies.
The movie felt cold to me. It didn't have the warmth that the previous films had. I get that it's about revenge, that's fine. It's the plot of many a movie.

Based on the previous movies, and the "seriousness" of a duel, you would think that having an open contract on John would be breaking the rules.

Kane being blind served no purpose. It barely affected how he operated. He almost acted like Daredevil , he seemed to be able to sense where everyone and everything was in a room. That being said , the movement sensor's kills in the kitchen were cool.

The stair scene felt like something right out of a video game including a mini boss. He fought his way up the stairs only to have the mini boss throw him down all the stairs. Where John has to fight his way back up again.

The ending I was ok with for the most part. I would have had Helen standing on the stairs with Daisy on a leash. Then she would tell John "Its time to go home".

Also upset because John never got to see his car restored.

joebuddah fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 26, 2023

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Booty Pageant posted:

that osaka continental really reminded me of the hong kong missions in hitman codename 47/contracts

The Berlin nightclub likewise reminded me of the Berlin nightclub in Hitman 3 (probably the best level of that game too).

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I do hope the ending sticks and they just do spin-offs from here on. Wick's got nowhere else to go as a lead character.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
50% of this movie is just gorgeous shots and cinematography the other 50% are 99th percentile action scenes.

The dragon breaths scene alone is worth the price of admission, i lost my mind as it went overhead and just.kept.going.

Every special guest stole the show. I was really impressed with Rina especially, her scene whipped rear end. Donnie Yen is of course goated as a very eccentric wicktemporary but Nobody has to be my pick for the actual best new comer.

https://youtu.be/Eeb4aZObp-0

suck it bullet proof suit haters

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Mar 26, 2023

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

joebuddah posted:

The stair scene felt like something right out of a video game including a mini boss. He fought his way up the stairs only to have the mini boss throw him down all the stairs. Where John has to fight his way back up again.

My wife said it felt like a nod to Sisyphus, which wouldn't be a surprise considering all the mythological and religious imagery they've been working into these movies since 2. Each fall down the stairs got the biggest reaction from the audience, right alongside the aforementioned Hotline Miami scene, Mr. Nobody's dog peeing, and "Consequences."

speaking of Mr. Nobody, spinoff movie when

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jerkface posted:

50% of this movie is just gorgeous shots and cinematography the other 50% are 99th percentile action scenes.

The dragon breaths scene alone is worth the price of admission, i lost my mind as it went overhead and just.kept.going.

Every special guest stole the show. I was really impressed with Rika especially, her scene whipped rear end. Donnie Yen is of course goated as a very eccentric wicktemporary but Nobody has to be my pick for the actual best new comer.

This part in particular struck me again and again. I can't recall any other recent action movie (except for Fury Road) that had such a confident and slick aesthetic sensibility. These movies just look so loving good. It's always been part of the series, but they really dialed it up in parts 3 and 4. Set design, cinematography, it's all just :discourse:

But yeah, absolutely loved it, probably my second-favourite entry in the series after the first. In a few ways it felt like an encore or a best of. Like the movie looking at the audience and going "Okay, we don't need to sell you on this series anymore, let's just go absolutely hog wild". Some parts were delightfully self-indulgent in ways that could have been annoying, but really worked for me. In terms of action, there was a nice mix of showing off new stuff and bringing back some favourites from the previous movies, including bits of the soundtrack. When they rolled club theme from the first movie I was just absolutely sold on the scene instantly.

I kinda wanna just go and see it again right now. Been a while since a movie had me like that. :allears:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ElectricSheep posted:

My wife said it felt like a nod to Sisyphus, which wouldn't be a surprise considering all the mythological and religious imagery they've been working into these movies since 2.

To me it was a few things. It was Sisyphean and felt like an encapsulation of the series overall with him getting knocked down but climbing back up every time. It was an ode to stunt work because with all the guys rolling down. And it was a final and direct acknowledgement that Wick might have a demonic rep but really he goes nowhere without help as that was the first team up scene where both Tracker and Caine were on his side.

gregday
May 23, 2003

How did Caine know what cards he was dealt?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

gregday posted:

How did Caine know what cards he was dealt?

Didn't he just laugh the whole thing off and throw his cards on the table?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

ElectricSheep posted:

My wife said it felt like a nod to Sisyphus, which wouldn't be a surprise considering all the mythological and religious imagery they've been working into these movies since 2. Each fall down the stairs got the biggest reaction from the audience, right alongside the aforementioned Hotline Miami scene, Mr. Nobody's dog peeing, and "Consequences."

speaking of Mr. Nobody, spinoff movie when

As this is my first time reading a JW thread on these Something Awful forums, I’m sure I am the first goon to appreciate how Charon’s role as the Concierge is analogous to the eponymous character in Greek mythology acting as the boatman between the living and the dead.

loving loved the movie. Every set piece action sequence was awesome, the casting was perfect, and the soundtrack was banging. If I had any complaints, it would be that it felt like it ran long, but asking me what I would cut out is like asking me which limb I’d rather have amputated. Also it felt kind of video game-y at times (you took the boss’s health down, but now he buffed himself with his inhaler and you have to chase him to the next location!) but they were still fun as hell to watch.

I also kind of feel like Wick’s death was anticlimactic and therefore I have a hard time believing he’s actually dead, but if they were to end Reeves’ role in the franchise here, I could be ok with that.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

DarklyDreaming posted:

Didn't he just laugh the whole thing off and throw his cards on the table?

he did, but then he told the table his hand. (EDIT: unless that was another character and I missed the different voice)

I assumed his vision wasn't totally gone, because he passes the cards across his face before revealing

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If that fat guy is anyone in a video game, he's that arsehole with the chair who always blocks the way in Yakuza.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

pantslesswithwolves posted:

As this is my first time reading a JW thread on these Something Awful forums, I’m sure I am the first goon to appreciate how Charon’s role as the Concierge is analogous to the eponymous character in Greek mythology acting as the boatman between the living and the dead.

loving loved the movie. Every set piece action sequence was awesome, the casting was perfect, and the soundtrack was banging. If I had any complaints, it would be that it felt like it ran long, but asking me what I would cut out is like asking me which limb I’d rather have amputated. Also it felt kind of video game-y at times (you took the boss’s health down, but now he buffed himself with his inhaler and you have to chase him to the next location!) but they were still fun as hell to watch.

The top-down scene was confirmed to be inspired by Hong Kong Massacre so the videogame influence is real (though lots of people think it's Hotline Miami since it is more well-known).

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Lobok posted:

To me it was a few things. It was Sisyphean and felt like an encapsulation of the series overall with him getting knocked down but climbing back up every time. It was an ode to stunt work because with all the guys rolling down. And it was a final and direct acknowledgement that Wick might have a demonic rep but really he goes nowhere without help as that was the first team up scene where both Tracker and Caine were on his side.

That's one of my favourite through lines of the series. Sure, John Wick is extremely good at shooting people in the face, but his real edge is making connections with people. Hell, the very first thing we actually see him do after starting his rampage in the first movie is sparing the life of an old acquaintance. It's another big theme in the third one, where he takes a risk to spare the two Indonesian (?) ninjas, and even makes a point of being nice to Zero at the end even though he was being a gigantic pain in the rear end the whole time. It's nice to see it come full circle in this one.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I thought Bill Skarsgaard and Donnie Yen were exceptional

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
IMHO that one scene where john wick is doing donuts in a muscle car around a circle of bad guys at the arc de Triomphe and emptying clip after clip into their bodies with his super 9mm was really cool

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

So far I've only seen Bill Skarsgard in movies where he gets shot in the head, parachute into a woodchipper, and get his head smashed to paste by an inbred person from Detroit.

The man is yet to meet the end credits.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He plays good villains. His pennywise is iconic as heck

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gatts posted:

John Wick 4 ruled.

My hope is in 5 he fights his way out of hell to be reunited with Helen or something just as bonkers.

I just assumed they did it in such a way where If/when they make another one, they can have it that Winston helped him fake his death, but if Keanu is adamant they aren't doing more, they can just leave it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Perestroika posted:

That's one of my favourite through lines of the series. Sure, John Wick is extremely good at shooting people in the face, but his real edge is making connections with people. Hell, the very first thing we actually see him do after starting his rampage in the first movie is sparing the life of an old acquaintance. It's another big theme in the third one, where he takes a risk to spare the two Indonesian (?) ninjas, and even makes a point of being nice to Zero at the end even though he was being a gigantic pain in the rear end the whole time. It's nice to see it come full circle in this one.

tbh the cop in 1 convinced me wickworld is libertopia more than anything else in the movie series

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I dig Nobody’s modernized cowboy aesthetic wayyyyyy more than than the ten millionth blind master (and second played by Donnie Yen)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Inspector Gesicht posted:

So far I've only seen Bill Skarsgard in movies where he gets shot in the head, parachute into a woodchipper, and get his head smashed to paste by an inbred person from Detroit.

The man is yet to meet the end credits.

they made him the twitter main character in IT part 1 but I don't think he actually dies so

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Pirate Jet posted:

I dig Nobody’s modernized cowboy aesthetic wayyyyyy more than than the ten millionth blind master (and second played by Donnie Yen)

Speaking of Cowboys, John really got a Cowboy Bebop-rear end sendoff.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Couple thought

I find it somewhat appropriate it is Donnie Yen who gave Wick the fatal shot as he is a GOAT of action. I do agree his death felt a little anticlimactic but they didn’t linger on drama for his death scene…I do think if it was a genuine death it could have but wouldn’t be surprised if they up and went said his gravestone is so he can finally be at peace with no one coming after him and it’s a fake if they had to pull Keanu back for another one. I do appreciate that even Donnie Yen couldn’t escape it all from the after credits sequence even if he got out. Shows it’s a vicious cycle of violence. I did think this movie was gonna be Wick taking out Table Bosses but I guess that would mean end of the franchise. The world is set so they can tell new stories in it. I do think introducing all these characters they hope one hits for a spin off.

Great great movie.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Speaking of Cowboys, John really got a Cowboy Bebop-rear end sendoff.

God I was thinking the same thing.

I was 100% waiting for him to collapse down the stairs just like Spike did and that would have been a funny lil' tribute since at one point he was signed on to play Spike in live action.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I do hope this is the last one with Keanu in it since a) four films is enough and it's a miracle that we've gotten four solid films out of a concept that fits on a napkin and b) it feels like a perfect send off. A lot of the action scenes felt like remixed and enlarged versions of previous scenes. The house in Paris was both the first shoot out in his house plus the scene in the catacombs. The nightclub scene was obviously the other nightclub scene. There's another attack on a different continental hotel, another battle over crashing and stuck cars in an intersection. The music, pacing and aesthetics deliberately recalled the earlier scenes. It was coming back to earlier ideas and doing them far more elaborately and confidentally, showing off what the team and cast have learned.

I haven't seen anyone else mention it here, but there's a very specific reference in the top down dragon's breath shootout. So you have an insanely impressive, technically superlative scene in a single shot, and then it flows straight into the one on one shootout with a primary henchman. The henchman emerges during the single take and then the sequence only cuts when we head into their one on one fight. Hard Boiled, 1992, by John Woo, did exactly the same thing. I think that's too specific and too difficult to pull off for it to be a coincidence.

Something else this film has in common with Hard Boiled is featuring a set piece early on that would easily be the climax of almost any other action film. The fight for the Osaka continental was utterly bananas. It just kept going and was full of so many crazily inventive little sequences that each could have been their own scene instead of just a part of this much bigger one.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Snowman_McK posted:

Something else this film has in common with Hard Boiled is featuring a set piece early on that would easily be the climax of almost any other action film. The fight for the Osaka continental was utterly bananas. It just kept going and was full of so many crazily inventive little sequences that each could have been their own scene instead of just a part of this much bigger one.

After Osaka was done, I leaned over and told my friend that if the movie ended right there and had a 'JOHN WICK WILL RETURN IN JOHN WICK 5' at the end of the credits, I would have been perfectly satisfied and ready for the next one. Osaka was just, so incredibly well done and ridiculous and grand.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I really like how they got Caine across as someone who wasn't ruthless through his fight scenes as well. He doesn't kill any of those nameless fighters who are defending the Continental. You see him put a gun to the head of one of them, but that was just to lineup a knockout blow.

You also knew Tracker was someone you could root for because he had a dog. In this film series, owning and caring for dogs makes you a good guy.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

I really like how they got Caine across as someone who wasn't ruthless through his fight scenes as well. He doesn't kill any of those nameless fighters who are defending the Continental. You see him put a gun to the head of one of them, but that was just to lineup a knockout blow.

Nah, he shoots a couple of them, but he's definitely not as ruthless as, say, Zaror's character.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

You also knew Tracker was someone you could root for because he had a dog. In this film series, owning and caring for dogs makes you a good guy.
And conversely, if you gently caress with dogs, you die, violently

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Also when Wick fell down the stairs I definitely thought it meant John Wick 5

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

Nah, he shoots a couple of them, but he's definitely not as ruthless as, say, Zaror's character.

He shoots at them but I'm pretty certain that he doesn't kill any of them. Especially in this film, getting shot doesn't really mean anything unless you're shot in the head or neck.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

He shoots at them but I'm pretty certain that he doesn't kill any of them. Especially in this film, getting shot doesn't really mean anything unless you're shot in the head or neck.

you may be right. I'll have a peak when i inevitably rewatch it.

Also, can't wait for the 'we count the kills in john wick 4' video on youtube. They've got their work absolutely cut out for them.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
The overhead shots of the action sequence were pretty cool. I don't watch a ton of movies but it felt pretty novel. Is there an early film that really ran with that concept?

Other than that while the fight scenes were all well done, I think you could have trimmed some of that to get the run time down. I am not sure if the 5th wave of bad guys in the same scene did much for the film.

I really hope they are smart enough to leave Wick dead. "Those who cling to death, live. Those who cling to life, die" was a good ending. You got 4 decent films out of a guy who got his dog shot. If you trot him out again and it sucks, its like the Terminator franchise, you can't unmake the film and forever tarnish the legacy.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

I do hope this is the last one with Keanu in it since a) four films is enough and it's a miracle that we've gotten four solid films out of a concept that fits on a napkin and b) it feels like a perfect send off.

I hope so as well. But if they have to make one more, this is how I'd go about it

High Warlord Zog posted:

If they do another one I can see them doing a Godfather 2 type duel timeline, with a storyline in the past showing us Wick's one impossible task and a story in the present following Winston, Caine, Mr Nobody and the rest of the supporting cast dealing with the fallout from John's death

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
Yea I also hope they end the John Wick portion of this franchise with this one. It’s a good send off and the side characters and world they’ve created can still support plenty of fun, good spin offs.

I also want to see that daughter’s revenge on the blind man (I forgot all the names already sorry lol).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

grieving for Gandalf posted:

this was one of the sickest movies I've ever seen. also no movie I've been to in years and years has gotten as big a laugh as Wick falling down the stairs

I laughed so god drat hard at this scene. Made my night.

thatfuturekid posted:

Little Matrix Revolutions nod in the empty subway, or am I reading into that too much.

I thought the exact same thing.

Haptical Sales Slut fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 26, 2023