Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

By coincidence a comic was just posted to another thread featuring this much superior Bony Buddy:

Hopefully this makes a temporary good distraction from this dour and dull narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
don't give up, skeleton!
therefore friend ahead...

(aka leave boney boy alone)

Honestly, I just want to vote for Youspock to use his brain throne to unrelentingly nitpick the party's every decision. Let the power go to his head.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
Did the game go out of its way to establish that elves were considered mythical creatures, and then just drop an elf into our party with zero fanfare?

And also say that our characters don't get experience because they're already the best of the best, but then to level up them up further we need something like "the basics of martial strategy"?

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I've always wondered if humanoid races with antlers have a yearly shed like animals with antlers and how their species handles it. Anyway, leave the skeleton alone.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

This game is very original, it has like elves and dwarves and frostlings and shadow people, and racism, actually I don't remember AoW having actual shadow people.

This is all something you can definitely twist in having originality but I haven't seen that yet, far more galling, I haven't even seen a single standard variation on the formula like it all being on floating sky islands and having airships, being in the land of the dead and every one being ghosts puzzling out their fates, or being a fantasy world but with modern era tech, or, like, racial segregation not being an universal thing.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 10, 2023

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I've seen many a bad fantasy setting but even those usually try to modify the cringey formula a bit, this just takes the unexamined early D&D concepts as is.
In an era where D&D have long moved on past that, and even 30 years ago at least tried to change things a bit with innovative settings.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Leave the bone boy be. We shouldn't invite things to talk more.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
8 year old me would be very cross that you're dissing Sword of Shannara :colbert:

Let's torture talk to bonebro

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015
If the chatGPT translation is at all accurate, I can atleast appreciate that the orcs were quite reasonable until a misunderstanding and the hotheaded among them lashed out. Better than some "always chaotic evil" BS that you'd expect to go with the rest of this extremely stock fantasy tripe.

Also, No Interference even though the game insists that that would totally backfire and make things worse by wasting time!

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Slaan posted:

8 year old me would be very cross that you're dissing Sword of Shannara :colbert:

Let's torture talk to bonebro

Sacrifices must be made!

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

ZCKaiser posted:

And also say that our characters don't get experience because they're already the best of the best, but then to level up them up further we need something like "the basics of martial strategy"?

Honestly I feel like "these are the most experienced guys you know. the best of the best. they can't get any stronger by beating up skeleton dudes. also you have to train them still, just, y'know, in town" is bad enough already. If you want to sell them as being the best of the best, do something like Crimson Shroud and have progression be gear-based rather than level-based.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Yea, this isn't even close, we're leaving the skeleton alone!

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

LiefKatano posted:

Honestly I feel like "these are the most experienced guys you know. the best of the best. they can't get any stronger by beating up skeleton dudes. also you have to train them still, just, y'know, in town" is bad enough already. If you want to sell them as being the best of the best, do something like Crimson Shroud and have progression be gear-based rather than level-based.

I find it very funny, actually, because it's an ugly, ugly throwback to early PnP and C RPG design, in which the DM was not supposed to be an umpire running the opposing forces, but supposed to oppose the players more or less directly, in which you needed to pay to train as well.

An RPG so innovative it has discovered racial segregation and mechanics best left well alone.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Happy Tower of Time Fifth Anniversary, thread!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

SIGSEGV posted:

This game is very original, it has like elves and dwarves and frostlings and shadow people, and racism, actually I don't remember AoW having actual shadow people.

Oh don't worry, AoW did have the Shadow Demons in the expansion to AoW2. They were more actual demons made of shadow in their own plane of existance, rather than completely unmystical desert dwellers though.

And as said it's probably just all the pattern recognition synapses firing wildly, but the orc gibberish definitely reads like (old?) english with some germanic influence to me in part. "largat awaausan" translating to "afar" sticks out, with the resemblance to "abstand/avstånd" meaning "distance".

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Ah, it did, I haven't played them in so long.

And don't worry, trying to grab your human brain is exactly how the overhyped chatbot gets its reputation.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The Plot Thickens

SIGSEGV posted:

This is all something you can definitely twist in having originality but I haven't seen that yet, far more galling, I haven't even seen a single standard variation on the formula like it all being on floating sky islands and having airships, being in the land of the dead and every one being ghosts puzzling out their fates, or being a fantasy world but with modern era tech, or, like, racial segregation not being an universal thing.

It's... going places, that's all I can say right now.

Anyway, to go back to the skeleton choice I gotta redo this orc battle. Whee!

Anyway, goons universally voted to make a stand against lovely exposition by letting the skeleton just shut the gently caress up.

: Leave Skeleton be.

Whee!

:words:: You focus your will on Maeve, suggesting the skeleton be left alone.

: If your backbone softens at the dealings with this Risen, Great Spirits help us for what's to come.

:words:: Maeve turns and storms off.

TheGreatEvilKing summary posted:

:skeltal::: Man it sure sucks to be a skeleton.

: Whoa... a talking skeleton!

: Geez, poor guy.

:skeltal:: Some dude called Devron is telling us to stay, but there's an emerald song making us dance? Or something? I dunno man, this is confusing me.

: Man I'm an "expert" in the art of necromancy and it must have been the orcs, even after I was just talking about how racist it was to jump to that conclusion.

: We could ask this Devron... or we could interrogate this skeleton!

: No! That is very wrong and I hate undead despite being a necromancy expert and blah blah blah blah.

: Decisions... are hard....

:words:: Well, what do YOU think, player?

: Internet says... "lay off the skeleton, we don't want more exposition...." Maeve, I'm mind controlling you!

: :mad:: You're all pussies who can't make hard choices!

I don't remember if the game explains why the orcs are doing this.

Fortunately we get more lore.

Sleath is... weird, and we'll get to him in time.

:freep:: Man we were gonna get killed by Shadows who were mean dickheads but then Sleath saved us with magic so now we call him the Savior. Like Jesus! I guess he wants us to explore this totally safe tower!

These guys starved I guess. There are a lot of dead members of Sleath's various bad ideas to be found.

This fountain is corrupted and can't be drunk from.

We keep wandering.

I don't have anything to say here.

This fight actually kind of sucks.

Part of it is that Aeric is having mana issues as I don't have great equipment for him.

The other part of it is stage 2 of this boss.

He shoots out this aura that's... maybe a frost aura? I know it lists a bunch of abilities in the pre-battle whatever, but I'm not sure what it does. Damage over time, maybe?

Then he casts another, apparently uninterruptible spell that confuses the entire loving party.

This allowed the mimic to beat the ever loving poo poo out of Kane and kill him because no one would respond to healing commands. He also dragged Maeve into the mystery aura with his tongue. The party is basically hosed right now.

Round 2 ends with Kane going down and us getting.. loving crystals and gold? For a boss the Ancients used to hide unique i- gently caress it. Almost every legendary item we've gotten on this level has had some kind of lovely drawback, like the wand that has Aeric lose mana or the corrupted gauntlet that poisons you. Why is this game's itemization so awful?

Anyway, on to the living quarters.

We can now promote Aeric to level four. Incidentally, you want to keep everyone leveled because there are solo segments, and they're exactly as bad as they sound.

We also start finding scrolls with enchantments on them. The enchantment system is dull and uninteresting.

You can spend a bunch of the crystals to put an enchantment on a purple weapon, for instance, Maeve's crossbow I upgraded earlier. Of course, because this is tower of time, you don't just find an effect that can go on multiple item types. This is a life steal enchantment for ranged weapons.

This is totally different than the life leech enchantment for melee weapons, which requires a different scroll to find than the other one. Yes, of course there are upgrades to this. Now, you can't really fully upgrade weapons so for 99% of the game this is a complete waste of time and resources. This isn't like dark souls where you can fully upgrade your starting weapon and roll through the game with it, the game can and will throw some new RNG purple poo poo at you so you have to go through the whole process all over again.

There are also these scrolls. It's exactly as dull as you think it is. No one gives a poo poo about +3% air resistance, but we may as well put it on Kane because he's the tank. Or something.

We might as well upgrade the mage tower and level Aeric up.

Aeric unlocks this ice cloud spell, which eats up a bunch of his mana to lay down an area of effect spell that deals ice damage over time. It's... OK.

I also take a look at the practice battles. They're dull as poo poo. Most of them give you more gold and crystals, so if you need to grind resources because you're stuck there you go.

Some give you unique items. Look at this loving thing. Look at it. This is "death's wand" which has a loving sunpower enchantment for some stupid reason. The only person who can use it is Aeric, and it neuters all his spells to make him a lovely copy of Maeve. Trash!

The other thing you can unlock are unique enchantments. This is probably pretty good on a melee DPS and we have exactly one character who fits that role we won't see for a long, long time.

I'm going to show off enchantments because I'm stupid. There are of course three tiers of these loving things, but the only one we have for Maeve's crossbow is Life Drain, so she's getting that.

Good bye, purple crystals. I hope we don't need you for endgame items or anything like that!

Back to the tower.

: (raising one eyebrow) An elf could no more get lost in his thoughts, than a fish forget how to swim...

: All right. Forget I asked...

: If you must know, I've been thinking on the vision of the past.

: What about it?

: Something that's been bothering me.

: Only 'one' something? Well, spill it out.

: The globes of dark blue light, the precursors of magic...

: Where did they come from? I've been wondering that myself.

: Why engage me in conversation, if you are going to speak for the both of us?

: What? The social infraction hardly seems worth your life. I would never even consider--

: Never mind, Horns... Just tell me what's on your mind.

: Very well. I was trying to ascertain why we don't see any of the blue globes of light today.

: That's it? With the way you've been concentrating so much over here, I thought you were curing famine or something equally grand. Anyway, who knows why the glowy things don't come around anymore... Maybe they've all been used up. Or, maybe they only come around every thousand years...

: Maybe...

: Hey, Horns, you got any exposition?

: Elven arrogance.

: Panic!

: Social ineptitude, despite being either the leader or second in command of the entire Elven dominion! Anyway, I was wondering about the blue magic bubbles.

: What, where'd they come from?

: No, where'd they go. Are you intrigued yet, player?

This itemization really reminds me of nothing more than World of Warcraft.

Look at this poo poo lol. It's the exact same thing but one is chest and one is legs, and I have no idea what the point of this is because Kane has 400 health and enemies are doing more than 2 dps.

He wants thorns anyway.

Wowee!

This fight also sucks.

Specifically, because its all ranged guys, which laughs all over the idea of a melee tank. Now, melee tanking is usually kind of silly in every game that has it, because either the enemies are designed so they all end up fighting in melee despite mounting heavy autocannon, or you get situations like this, where Kane is going to struggle to keep aggro and the rest of the characters die. I'm not gonna lie, this took me a few restarts to clear.

It doesn't help that they bypass your armor with poison arrows.

I am not good at this game.

They do drop a generic green staff which goes right on Aeric because it doesn't neuter his mana pool.

EFFFFFF

GRIND! GRIND! GRIND FOR THE DARK GODS!

There's even a cage. Don't worry, we'll see more lame gimmick battles in this update!

What do you want me to say?

Oh, ok, I guess we hate orcs now.

: So much for any chance at peaceful relations.

: Orcs... are BAD!

Honestly pretty much everyone wants this, but I'm not burning our resources on crafting a bunch of poo poo. Is this related to why I'm dying all the time? Mayyyybe.

I guess he's supposed to be... Baron Samedi in a fez? Sure, why the hell not.

: Who are those Orcs?

How did you learn what they were called?

: They are green-skinned savage beasts. They are responsible for the Risen. And the task of destroying their source of magic, falls to your shoulders.

So we're doing the lame D&D style tribal orcs because of course we are.

: And... what exactly is in it for us?

Tolkien's orcs are a lot less tribal as they're allegorically the foot soldiers of a fascist state and basically abuse victims at the hands of Sauron and Morgoth.

The SA traditional games posters will talk your ear off about how Gygax orcs are an offensive savage stereotype, but they're also not very interesting or threatening honestly. A bunch of guys rushing our heroes with stone axes is not nearly as threatening as the LotR orcs who are armed with an allegorical representation of industrial weapons.

So you basically end up with a weird rear end colonialism trope, except the orcs aren't native to the tower because they're ripping off Warcraft and somehow their magic gets characterized as "primitive" despite it baffling both Aeric and this "ancient spirit". Whatever!

: Oh, my sister prophesized that one day 2 humans and an elf would come one day to destroy all the skeletons forever. They're really driving down property values.

: Somehow, I know a name for these guys despite no one mentioning it. Who are the orcs?

: Savages! Savages! Barely even human! Savages! Savages! Drive them from our shore! They're not like you and me, which means they must be evil We must sound the drums of war!

: So are you paying us, or...

: Maeve, only Great Youspock can agree to this!

: Don't worry, I know you're being controlled by another, so I'm just gonna assume you accepted.

: Hmm... this verbiage IS ominous... but consider who wrote this..

: I wonder if I could convince Tower Avatar to let me get to second base?

: Anyway, I need you to find the statues of my sisters so they can shoot a laser beam into this crystal I'm holding. Off you go!

: But I want MONEY!

: Fool! The plot compels you, but not before I tell you that your master commands you and his master compels him!

: Wait, masters? What the hell is he talking about? Eh, whatever.

: Eh, I'm sure it's nothing, Horns.

: What did you just call me?

: Horns! Let's go do this thing for free I guess.

: It's cool Aeric, you will find her lovable as I do, because I'm totally simping for her this whole time!

gently caress this battle.

All the cyclops have melee attacks and a telegraphed rock throw that melts Maeve and Aeric. It takes a restart or two, but it is utterly boring as poo poo. Skip!

They're guarding this, which instantaneously solves all of Aeric's mana problems for right now.

This fountain is a trap but fortunately a quick reload fixes it.

Maeve levels up and learns Hunter's Mark, which lets you put a mark on a dude so the whole party deals more damage to it. Sure, why not.

The game presents this as a new battle mode.

It's not. It's the exact same as the regular battle - a bunch of dudes teleport out of the portals and run into the party, where you rotate through the same four skills and move people out of telegraphed AoEs.

A purple wooooweeeeee!

Keep in mind we found Rethora first.

Tennyson this ain't.

: Sounds easy enough. Go on High-courier, ask her.

: Dear spirit. We come to seek your aid. Will you give it?

: Your brother, Devron, told us to seek your help. He wishes you to aid us in destroying a vile magic that pollutes this place-the magic that has risen the dead from their graves.

: I know you all. Long have I foreseen these events come to pass. But I must warn you, I am sworn by sacred covenant to answer any question put before me, truthfully. Ask with care.

Now, you might think the characters might ask questions like "who is our master's master", "what is at the bottom of the tower", "can Artara be saved". Don't worry! No one has the foresight to do this!

Granted, I'm still distracted by "what the gently caress is this design?"

: So, you already know we seek that you channel your power into a prism crystal, combining it with your siblings' power?

: Yes. I know all the things that have been, that are, and that will come to be. I know you, Aeric, son of Qinjor, son of Thelen. I know your thoughts and fears, your true love, Alisadra...

It's astonishing how the game will present the characters as curious about whatever's directly in front of them, but no one ever thinks to ask any of these cryptic NPCs what the hell is really going on.

: This magic you seek to destroy is not of our world. Only when it is destroyed will balance return. The dead must rest in their dark and quiet halls once more. I will channel my powers to the prism crystal as he requested.

: Did something happen to your beloved?

: Unlike humans, elves do not follow every lustful whim. Our affairs of the heart are too complex for human understanding. Perhaps we should ask Rethora to read your mind next?

: I was just being personable, Horns. Didn't realize I was touching a nerve.

: Speaking before thinking... How typically human.

And so we get a cutscene where Rethora shoots a big laser into the crystal and falls silent.

: This must be the second ancient spirit, after the first we didn't encounter. I learned about her as a child. Look, there's a poem here!

: This writing's so crass/it came from my rear end!

: Oh, yeah, Maeve, go ask her about the thing!

: Hey spirit lady, can you help us with our thing?

: Yes.

: Yeah your brother told us you had to shoot a big laser at a crystal to destroy all skeletons forever!

: Yes. I know you all. I am in fact literally all-knowing. I could answer any of your questions. For example, if you wanted to know what caused the magic bubbles or why the disappeared like you were talking about earlier, or what's at the bottom of the tower.

: Wait, if you already know that your brother wanted you to do this why the gently caress are we here?

: I know all about you, Aeric. Even your true love Alisadra, who laughed and dumped you because your dick was too sm-

: Wow yeah guys she's totally on the level no more questions ha ha.

: Anyway skeletons are bad. I will do this.

: So what happened with true love?

: Humans could never understand what it means to simp ineffectually!

: Actually, I can!

: Jeez, fine.

: Pew! Pew!

I'm beginning to think I'm not the target audience for this kind of gear porn poo poo.

Sleath, huh? I'm sure we'll never meet him.

Onwards!

It's time for a newer,. shittier gimmick fight!

Instead of appearing through random bullshit portals that inexplicably stop vomiting up skeletons, these portals are destructible yet infinite.

Yes, thank you!

This is all it is - target the portal. Cleave down the enemies. Boring!

We're gonna be seeing a lot of these loving things.

I'm still not sure it's worth crafting this stuff.

: We were sent by your brother, Devron. He seeks to destroy the magic responsible for the Risen who roam these halls. He mentioned a prism, through which you and your siblings' powers may merge to this end.

: A splendid plan! The Risen torment me to no end. Each was once a child, cradled in its mother's arms, basking in my holy protection. Some were of the tower itself, children of the Magi, and some were of the villages that surrounded it long ago. Now the Risen wander, lost, in eternal agony. I will do all that I can. My blessings be upon you.

: A non sequitur about children.

: We've always used protection!

: Can you shoot a big laser to destroy all the skeletons?

: I hate skeletons! Pew! Pew!

All three of the statues fuse into a turbo laser.

Once we talk to Devron he shoots an even bigger laser at this random rear end statue lying around.

Blasting the droid control ship shuts down all the droids and lets the party win the battle of Naboo.

Oh goddammit.

: The task was no easy one I assure you. But we must fulfill our mission and protect the living on the surface. This is our duty and our honor, Avatar. Now we must return to my Lord's task and descend to the bottom of this place.

: The bottom!? Take heed valiant shieldguard. The bottom of the tower is far too dangerous. None who venture there, ever returns. And now I must be the bearer of bad news, for you can advance no further. The only staircase leading below is blocked with ancient magic beyond my ability to remove or dispel.

: The choice is not ours to make. My lord seeks the power in the depths below. He believes that this power and it alone can save our people. If the price for its recovery is our lives, it is a price we would gladly pay.

Huh. First time hearing that.

: Is there nothing you can do about this barrier that blocks the way?

: Alas, as much as I would like to repay your effort with the Risen by doing this task, it is truly beyond my ability. Try as you might, you will not penetrate this barrier by any means known to man or elf. Only the magic of old could undo the spell and there is none alive today who can wield such power.

: Leave or persist on this impossible endeavor, the choice is yours. While you decide, a small reward for your services. Use it well. Farewell, my heroes!

The Avatar poofs out and leaves two chests behind.

: Because no pledge was given. Our purpose and action aided her in a task of her own duty, therefore her gratitude and payment. Nothing more. Now, let us seek those stairs and confront this impassible barrier.

: We did it! We handled your family communication so you don't have to!

: Big Laser! Pew! We did it! We blew up the skeleton statue! No more skeletons until the game starts palette swapping them later!

: Poof! You did it! If I wasn't some kind of inhuman plot conveyance I would thank you.

: M'lady. This was super hard and difficult. But I laid back and thought of England, and we saved everyone on the surface from a localized collection of skeletons with no interest in leaving the tower. Now we must get to the bottom of the tower for Lord Spock.

: Tee hee! There's an impenetrable barrier in front of the stairs sealed with the magic of PLOT! You can't get through it, because no one alive can use the magic of PLOT! Including me, by the way.

: Great Spock commands, and we must obey.

: Actually I have my own subplo -

: Shhh! Don't open the mystery box! The devs are watching!

: Can you please please please open the barrier?

: Nope. <3! Here, you can touch my chests.

: It's all I ever wanted!

: Wait, when did we ever agree to serve her?

: I'M NOT SIMPING!

More RNG poo poo.

This bow hits harder than the bow we spent all those upgrades and enchantments on. See why I don't care about this game's itemization?

Why would any sane person care about this? It goes on Kane.

More Sleathin'!

Sleath is... power-hungry? Who would have thought!

Fortunately for my sanity most of the unique items are actually worth picking up. This goes on Maeve.

That blue tomb has an optional encounter with enemies we literally cannot hurt right now. I tried a few times but this update is long enough, so it gets cut,

This statue is so happy we defeated all skeletons forever he raises a bridge.

We get an animation of all four of the bridge parts floating up from the void in this supposedly upside down tower.

This goes on Maeve as she's the best DPS in the game.

Jesus this is just sad. It doesn't even look special, it looks like a bunch of random rear end stone blocks mashed together.

Not you too!

: You give them undue credit, after all, their society crumbled and their legacy is our dying world... But dwelling in the past only robs us of the present. There, up ahead, a construction which radiates warm energy.

God, this is awkward.

: HOLY poo poo A DOPE rear end BRIDGE!!

: :actually: The ancients loving sucked because they blew up the world. But look, "a construction that radiates warm energy"!

YES! I CAN SEE IT'S A STRANGE FIGURE BECAUSE YOU ZOOMED IN!

: Is that thing alive? Have you ever seen anything like it. Noble Elf?

: I have never laid eyes on one in person, no. None the less, I believe with certainty we stand before an air elemental. Beings created by the Ancients to carry out menial duties. Such entities are very powerful, but I do not sense any ill intent.

An... air elemental. A loving common rear end D&D monster. Stop trying to make this dreck mysterious!

: Don't bet on it. Little in this place has been friendly. Why don't you two go and check his intent while I hang back here?

:words:: Wowee so mysterious! Wow! A strange figure!

: Wow, Aeric, this is so mysterious and special, what is it?

: I think... it's an air elemental! You know, that thing in every fantasy videogame or D&D monster manual ever? It doesn't seem malicious tho.

TGEK: For gently caress's sake!

: I bet it's a boss!

It's a boss.

IT's not a very interesting boss. Phase 1 is tank and spank.

Phase 2 it just shits out these stupid rock lightning turrets everywhere. We kill it in one go for the crime of being tedious, aided by Aeric actually having the loving mana to do his job.

Wowee more RNG bullshit!

Followed by more plot nonsense.

: You must take care to use this strength wisely. Even with your guidance, only the greatest heroes of Artara will successfully reach the bottom. Only heroes true of heart willing to die for your cause.

Hmm. That's the second time that idea has come up. I guess it's nothing.

: They must not stray from the path you set before them. I grant you this knowledge long gone, so you may breach the barrier I've erected. Hurry, I have little time left.

Wait, can't you just take it - eh, gently caress it.

: Sup homie. You are very special! Welcome back to Totally Mysterious Tower! You need to make these people reach the bottom, but I'll give you the PLOT power to defeat my barrier of PLOT!

I'm not actually sure what this does.

Probably mandatory for late game.

We also get this staff for Aeric.

I'm not actually sure how good this is because I don't understand how magic pen works. We leave it for now.

We're almost done with this floor!

I think this is the second secret area?

Anyway this boss is all that stands between us and floor 2.

Why bother making the atmosphere of the game in any way interesting, when you can just vomit a bunch of dull prose all over the player and pass it off as good writing?

There are games that can use writing to create a gorgeous and intriguing atmosphere, like Cultist Simulator, but this description is so loving dull I can almost see the teenage DM spouting this passive voice crap.

Anyway, the boss is a complete pushover.

In theory he can hit you with a bunch of rude status effects.

In practice you DPS the ice cage and the adds whenever they appear and he just fuckin melts. Most of his spells are telegraphed, so he's real easy to kill.

He drops some caster gear for Aeric, dying tragically in an attempt to prevent us from seeing the rest of this dumb game.

We unlock more practice battles. I don't know why you would want to.

I should probably go slap this on Aeric.

It's time for another text dump!

Tower Avatar, NO!

This just raises... more questions. Was Kane aware we compelled him? Why is he OK with it? What did "my Lord" actually do to earn this much loyalty?

: So... He has spoken to you. What lies did he spin this time? Did he promise you power beyond all imagination? Untold riches? Life everlasting?

: So you will not even speak to me? Be warned then. The one below will bring you no respite from the hardships above. He is far beyond the comprehension of mere mortals... beyond even my own full understanding. You would be wise to resist his compulsions.

:words:: How to respond? Or even if to respond at all? A whisper in the back of your mind tells you that it would be dangerous. You remain silent, observing Tower Avatar through the eyes of your confused champions.

: So be it! I will remain at your side then and continue to assist you. But know this, you must soon open your eyes and see the truth - before he consumes your free will.

Huh. Oh, well, whatever!

: She was not as silent as you think. I felt something... She was speaking to someone without the use of her voice. Did neither of you hear anything in your mind?

: Not I.

: Me neither.

: Curious. Most curious. Verily, there is much of which we are ignorant to in this place.

: All right. Enough of the Tower Avatar, we have a long descent ahead of us... We better get moving.

: Oh, that's most courteous of you Shieldguard.

:words:: As Aeric begins removing his gear, passing it to Kane, the shieldguard's eyes grow large.

: Wait a - I - I - errgh... MAEVE!

:words:: Wow! A magic door! You mentally force Kane to touch it so you can use the ancient magic the spooky man taught you to undo the PLOT barrier! Uh oh! It's exposition lady!

: Behold! The power of Youspock!

:words:: You realize the Tower Avatar is looking for you! The You that looks like Spock, not You the player. Suddenly she speaks... telepathically! WoOoOoOoOoO!

: The spooky man got to you. What lies did he tell you now?

:words:: The developers realize this means you could almost get some answers, so they tell you that she's angry and you're scared. The developers want to dangle these answers in front of you because they know that's the only thing this game's writing could possibly have going for it.

: Oh, you're gonna say nothing? Well, you should know that he's actually super dangerous and probably a liar. He's like a god... I don't even understand him. Well, I'll help you for now, but be careful not to get mind controlled! Ciao!

: What was that about?

: She was using telepathy. Did any of you guys hear it?

: Uhhhh.....no.

: Weird. I bet there's a whole dumbass metaplot we don't know about.

: Time to go. Aeric, Kane will totally carry your stuff.

: Thank you, let me start stripping.

: MAEVE!!!!

Let's get off this floor and keep trudging.

I like how the player is assumed to be so loving stupid they can't figure out that Spooky Man and Tower Avatar are at cross purposes and seek to use the party for their own ends.

Next time, we see what exciting moral lemmas and boring rear end dialogue await on floor 2!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I remember now - that first skeleton archer fight is exactly where I said "gently caress this" and uninstalled the game.

Somehow the game's attempts at humor feel like the most cringeworthy writing so far.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
So the avatar is supposed to be the self insert, but he’s supposed to have ulterior hidden motives that we don’t know about? What is this crap?

It’d make more sense if the guy was simply named “You”.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Giving the player self insert a secret that the player themselves doesn't know is a nice trick for sure, surprises guaranteed indeed. Doesn't always hit the mark though.

Also in one of those fluff pieces about armor buffs or whatever, there's a thing where human armor what poo poo because dwarves had Smithin (with a capital letter, a process invented by Gloin Smith, of the Smith clan named that way for no loving reason) and the elves had Enchantment, and in the rest of the fluff, magic came in after industrial society came to be.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Tower...of TEDIUM!!! Tower....of DULL!!!!

I get that we're still at an early part of the game, but it's like the game is trying it's hardest NOT to distinguish itself from every other fantasy story ever written.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Which would be fine, mostly, if it executed competently, and if I have to bring it up...

I like it a lot when the word strange comes up and is left without further clarification.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

My eyes kept glazing over this self satisfied writing, so all I got was:
:v: My tower is infested with orcs!!! and the undead!!! is your mind blown?
:iiam: But have you considered working for me for a change? no ultirior motives here, guaranteed.

*meanwhile the mechanics add nothing interesting not helpful*

when things actually get weird I'll be SO relieved.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

By popular demand posted:

My eyes kept glazing over this self satisfied writing, so all I got was:
:v: My tower is infested with orcs!!! and the undead!!! is your mind blown?
:iiam: But have you considered working for me for a change? no ultirior motives here, guaranteed.

*meanwhile the mechanics add nothing interesting not helpful*

when things actually get weird I'll be SO relieved.

Same.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The Top of the Tower, the Bottom of the Barrel

Welcome back! Last time, we discovered that Kane was down with the mind control, and also some kind of lovely power struggle was going on between SpookyMan McCreeper and Exposition Angel.

Also the game is really impressed by its ability to spew out fantasy cliches.

: I suppose we will know in time.

: So many skeletons. I wonder what happened here.

: Could be those villagers allied to that Sleath character. Looks like they found a way down, only to die at the foot of the stairs. Probably starved to death, from lack of provisions.

: Apparently human vision is far worse than I have heard. Don't you see how charred these bones are? These people did not succumb to starvation over time-they died quickly, by flame.

: Whatever it was, it seems their magus was unable to protect them.

: Or unwilling...

: Maybe it was the Tower Avatar. Perhaps she did not want them to gain access to the lower floors.

We literally just stepped onto this floor and its time for bullshit blathering.

: Greetings once again, Avatar. Perhaps you can help us get our bearing?

: I am happy to offer aid when and when I can, but I would be negligent in my duties if I did not warn you... There are dangers here beyond imagining.

Is it orcs and skeletons?

: Just as you observe your own duties, we must observe ours. We cannot do otherwise.

: Then by all means, continue. The second level you now explore is infested with Orcs. An old defense mechanism to counter this threat is still active here. In the old times, the Magi constructed guardians... beings of pure magic, given physical form much stronger than flesh and bone.

Guess what they look like. Go on. Guess.

: I don't like the sound of that. These defense mechanisms, do they only defend against the Orc threat?

: I am afraid they will not be able to discriminate between you and the Orcs. You are both intruders in this place.

Uh huh.

: I'm afraid they were constructed long before I was created and as such, I have no ability to influence them. Study them carefully. They adapt to the nature of a threat with expert precision... I am afraid your abilities will be put to the test here. Good luck, shieldguard, I hope you see your companions through safely

: Well look at that, looks like you've made a new friend, K. What are your orders, sir?

: She may not comprehend or have the time to analyze the social dynamic of our group. It is far more efficient to address the perceived leader of the group, directly on our behalf.

: Thank you, Noble Elf. I agree, I do not think her intention was to be rude. But I have to say I am a bit surprised, High-Courier. Members of the King's Guard, such as yourself, aren't supposed to let such trivial matters get under their skin.

: Who said I was upset? Come on, we're wasting time.

: Wow that sure was a lot of stairs! How many levels is this?

: We'll find out.

: That's a lot of skeletons.

: Maybe it's those dumbass Sleath worshippers who starved and died.

: I will point out that these bodies are burned in an extremely racist way.

: Well Sleath couldn't protect them looks like.

: Maybe it was that annoying Tower Avatar.

:words:: An entire text box is wasted before playing the Tower Avatar teleport animation.

: It wasn't me. Tee hee!

: Hey girl can you help us navigate this floor?

: Yes, but it's extremely dangerous and has dangerous beyond your imagining, like stock low-level enemies from the D&D monster manual.

: The plot compels us to do this dumb thing. Also everyone is starving I guess.

: Well, alright. This level is full of... Orcs! Also spooky guardians made of PURE MAGIC that are a tower defense mechanism.

: So they're only attacking the orcs, right? Because we're friends and all, you control them right?

: Lol nope. Tee hee.

: Wait, but you and the tower are one, right? You can't do anything?

: Tee hee. Good luck, "shieldguard"!

: Are you having an emotional affair with her?

: I don't think she's into you Kane.

: U mad?

: Nuh uh!

So what do you think these guardians look like? Powerful energy beings? A cool dragon? Some kind of devil dude? Those golems from level 1?

It's motherfucking skeletons, bitch! Yeah, one minute after we defeated all the Risen via a prophecy that led to the orc statue being blown up by another statue and now we have BLUE skeletons to replace the green ones!

It's a boring rear end fight.

: Another energy barrier. We cannot pass.

: This blockade is clearly Orcish in origin. If I understand the currents emanating from the field correctly, it draws its power from a nearby source. We just need to find it.

NOOOOO!

: Can you tell us anything about these Orcs? Where did they come from? What exactly is their purpose here?

: I do not know from whence they came, nor their purpose. All I can tell you is that they have been here for a long time. Even after all these years, I still cannot understand their speech. If it makes any difference, until recently, they remained only on this level, not daring to move below.

: I am not omnipotent, Maeve. The needs of the tower that require my attention are many and some things do indeed slip past my attention and knowledge... I wish you luck in dealing with this barrier.

: A plot barrier. Wheeeeee!

: I bet its orcs!

: Hi! It's the orcs! Tee-hee!

: Do you know anything about the Orcs?

: Nope! Somehow they launched an invasion of the tower without me knowing.

: Really? Even though you showed up immediately after Aeric talked poo poo?

: Yep! Good bye! Tee-hee

Oh, wow, elite orcs.

The fight is the same boring dogshit. Move out of the poo poo on the floor. Spam the same four skills. Thank God the developers included a fast forward button.

Poor Maeve takes one for the team.

We have to destroy this to beat the Plot Barrier.

Unfortunately this is a Moral Choice(tm)

Welp vote on this poo poo I guess

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

"Orcs did this."

*Teleports in* "Indeed, Orcs did this!" *Teleports out*

What the hell was the point of that?

Anyway, uh, screw Kane, use magic.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

LJN92 posted:

"Orcs did this."

*Teleports in* "Indeed, Orcs did this!" *Teleports out*

What the hell was the point of that?

Anyway, uh, screw Kane, use magic.

I'm pretty sure the point is to show that she's untrustworthy because she immediately caught Aeric talking poo poo about her but somehow didn't notice an entire orc invasion.

I mean, it's not like we didn't know this because she monologued about hating the guy who maybe mind controlled us, but as neither of these two factions have anything like "a motivation" or "end goals" who gives a poo poo?

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
The ancient guardians made of pure magic given physical form merely being blue skeletons is entirely unsurprising.

Just magic at the problem.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Just sword at the problem

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Use magic.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Magic let's be done with the obvious trap.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

To be honest I expected robots, or the crystal golems, we know they have models for the crystal golem things, the skeletons actually surprised me.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I guessed Golems myself when you posed that question, I wasn’t expecting them to go into pallet swapping this quickly.

With how often the stupid tower woman keeps teleporting in it really feels like it’d be less effort on her part if she simply walked with the group.

I’m honestly confused as to why the avatar person is an avatar. They seem to have a distinct agenda and are sketchy as gently caress. That’s actual characterization of an untrustworthy character. Why is it being applied to what should be the self insert avatar?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The avatar is clearly a sophisticated defense mechanism intended to bore all intruders to death.
Anyhow, Sword.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The Avatar is there to fill time for Chairboy while he waits for his minions to walk around and have incidental conversations. He'd get very bored otherwise.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

goatface posted:

The Avatar is there to fill time for Chairboy while he waits for his minions to walk around and have incidental conversations. He'd get very bored otherwise.

Impossible, nothing could ever be uninteresting in Chairboy's Boring Tower Offense Game.

Palette swaps already? For enemies of not even the same type? Absolutely amazing.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
My vote is perpetually Let the Party Decide. Add one vote for that every time a decision comes up. I want to see these chucklefucks argue

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I'm going to vote magic.

I'm also going to note that thus far, this feels like the worst game that TGEK has LP'd because it just feels just so generic. Other games like Stygian or ATOM are probably objectively worse due to major flaws, enormous plot holes, etc, but they at least felt like they tried to do something unique.

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015
I am kinda curious if there could ever be any upside to letting the party choose outside of I guess dodging an opinion change? It seems like it will just pick one of the other options for you, and then probably punish you with some orcs for taking too long or whatever. (Gonna keep voting for it though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
This game radiates poverty. Let the party decide because so far these choices have unfathomably low stakes.