Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

By popular demand posted:

Btw, how many of you personally suffered from wage theft?
I was very fortunate in this regard but I did have to chase down one employer for a week for my paycheck after the place closed down suddenly.

I worked for a small business owner for a short time and I'd sometimes stay after closing to make sure the important work all got done, carefully listing it on my timesheets. The lady who came in once a week to do the books eventually took me aside and told me that he'd been secretly altering my timesheets and deleting that extra time because it was "unapproved overtime". WELP, from then on I logged off at 5pm on the dot every day and if the important work hadn't been completed that sure as gently caress wasn't my problem. I told him to his face as well, at that point I'd already decided to jump ship and I no longer gave a gently caress about his tantrums.

Internetjack posted:

Personally I've had quite the opposite experience of working with team mates that were completely lackadaisical and non-performers, literally not doing the job they were hired for. Weekly team meeting, everyone has tasks to work on, and one dumbass has not finished a single thing they were assigned by the next week's meeting. The rest of us conspired to do their work so they looked bad, not having any answers and the rest of us did. Had to get poo poo done.

My brother is the same and his managers are aware of the situation but the work is getting done so they DGAF. Meanwhile my brother is running himself ragged doing all his assigned work plus a bunch of other people's work and not only isn't getting thanked for it but isn't getting paid extra either.
I've had long talks with him explaining that they're taking advantage of his "strong work ethic" and he's just enabling their lovely workplace practices but he just can't help himself, he's just like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
my job is usually a 50/50 mix but in my world, working hard and being competent can move you up. But sometimes so can incompetence so...

JetSetGo
Jan 1, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I was very fortunate in this regard but I did have to chase down one employer for a week for my paycheck after the place closed down suddenly.

I lost my lovely job as a computer fixer for an elementary school during the early days of lockdown. They owed me money and the principal literally said it wasn't her problem then sacked me two days later by email for complaining. I was lucky I had a family friend who worked as lead of payroll so I got my money after all but gently caress if the school wasn't super unprofessional at every turn. Worked out anyway, got a better paying job where I do less for more cash and I answer to pretty decent people.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Internetjack posted:

Those are people you can weaponize to your advantage, dummy.

Hyper active new co-worker, you just show and share how to do some basic tasks. They do a great job. When reviews and evaluations come around, you mention that you helped the hyper person on getting focused on some tasks, and suddenly you're regarded as a genius.

Personally I've had quite the opposite experience of working with team mates that were completely lackadaisical and non-performers, literally not doing the job they were hired for. Weekly team meeting, everyone has tasks to work on, and one dumbass has not finished a single thing they were assigned by the next week's meeting. The rest of us conspired to do their work so they looked bad, not having any answers and the rest of us did. Had to get poo poo done.

i've been that person and if it helps its because of a self-defeating cycle of anxiety depression and procrastination and i felt real bad about it

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

If you personally know a workoholic like this take care of them, exhausting overwork always burns people out eventually and most bosses don't care a whit.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Sort of, they kept cutting perks and stuff like a payment for dinner if you worked over a set amount of hours.

Hilariously this always resulted in less money coming in and no one could convince them their terrible idea was bad. Company went under eventually, and this was a BIG rear end company (Dick Smith in case you’re from NZ or Australia).

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
No, OP, I've never been mad at someone who does their job well

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

pencilhands posted:

im a diesel mechanic

I assume you're hourly? It doesn't really matter, there are some technicians out there that love lickin boots, suffering, and not making money.

Edit: it sounds like that person is working like a commission/flat rate guy. I wouldn't trust them.

interwhat fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 25, 2023

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
You should start busting rear end around them, i.e. horrendous farts. That way they'll know how what they're doing impacts others.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Just let out an audible “ha” and shake your head whenever they complain, OP

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Coworker with a banger rear end in a top hat, they called him the Peter Suction on account of hob gobbing on Rod. Rose up out the ocean like a whale, whole lip rippled with surf. He died in a pod hotel with fingers curled about his prod.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Coworker with a banger rear end in a top hat, they called him the Peter Suction on account of hob gobbing on Rod. Rose up out the ocean like a whale, whole lip rippled with surf. He died in a pod hotel with fingers curled about his prod.

I love Faulkner as well

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

There was definitely sound and fury coming from that rear end in a top hat

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

The Workday software my company uses for timecards glitched out one week and registered multiple regular full work days as overtime hours instead, which I had to submit as is since there's no way to change it on my end. While checking the paystub later to see if it got fixed or went through that way, I found out they'd changed me to salaried a couple weeks back, supposedly by accident. I don't typically do full day weekend OT, so there wasn't going to be a big noticeable pay discrepancy one week, but I do regularly rack up 0-3 hrs OT every week just from staying late to finish stuff or checking in on things remotely so it was going to keep adding up.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
They'll burn themselves out eventually and learn an important lesson about the Importance Of Not Working Hard in the process, it's all good

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Burning out sucks, it takes so much longer to relearn how to function after the crash than it would be to learn to slow down to prevent a burn out.

At least try helping people realize we all need to moderate our pace to keep sane.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I worked for a very big SV fintech company during the pandemic. After 2 years of working from home and work getting more stressful every day I talked to my manager about wanting to take 2 weeks off unpaid and he said it couldn't hurt to send in an unpaid leave request.

So I sent it in and, well, as I learned after that if you submit an unpaid leave request they take it as you saying "I WILL NOT be here on these dates and I would like to still have my job when I get back", not a request saying "Hey, CAN I take these two weeks off unpaid and still have my job?". But they didn't and couldn't tell me that. I kept working through those 2 weeks except I was locked out of our timecard system. My manager and everyone else said just keep working and we'll get it sorted out. I couldn't clock any hours and had to send them to my department head to manually enter hours worked, etc.

The entire time I'm talking to payroll and HR trying to go hey, my paycheck never showed up and I can't log hours. For 3 weeks they just told me they were looking into it and nothing else. After my second paycheck failed to show up I messaged them again and the payroll team looked into it and said "I don't see any errors on our end."

So then I quit on the spot and had to file a complaint with the state industrial commission for unpaid wages, it took about 6 weeks to get them to send me those last 2 paychecks.

A company with an entire massive payroll department to handle this poo poo and plenty of money and a long history of always paying on time just... stopped paying me for 3 weeks of work lmao.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

The drug factory switched from 12s to 8s for like the 6th time in its lifetime, knowing full-well that poo poo never works and we'd be back on 12s within a year. I was on D shift, back half of the week nights, and got put on 2nd shift in the transfer. My shift differential dropped from $1.50 to $1.

Except, all the people on D shift who went to 2nd went from $1.50 to $0. We all noticed it after our second paycheck, and we went to HR about it. They told us they would look into it, and by the time they told us to get hosed and they weren't going to backpay us, they owed us like $500 a piece. After that we started getting the diff we signed a contract for.

We did all eventually get paid, after the fiscal year was over, because we would not stop hammering them about it and reminding them that they said they weren't going to honor a contract. I remember very clearly our HR manager telling us, "fine, we'll pay you even though we fixed it, stop talking about it with anyone or there will be consequences."

There was no issue when they shifted us back to 12s and I went back to working on D shift with a $1.50 diff. It was mind-boggling.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

MrQwerty posted:

The drug factory switched from 12s to 8s for like the 6th time in its lifetime, knowing full-well that poo poo never works and we'd be back on 12s within a year. I was on D shift, back half of the week nights, and got put on 2nd shift in the transfer. My shift differential dropped from $1.50 to $1.

Except, all the people on D shift who went to 2nd went from $1.50 to $0. We all noticed it after our second paycheck, and we went to HR about it. They told us they would look into it, and by the time they told us to get hosed and they weren't going to backpay us, they owed us like $500 a piece. After that we started getting the diff we signed a contract for.

We did all eventually get paid, after the fiscal year was over, because we would not stop hammering them about it and reminding them that they said they weren't going to honor a contract. I remember very clearly our HR manager telling us, "fine, we'll pay you even though we fixed it, stop talking about it with anyone or there will be consequences."

There was no issue when they shifted us back to 12s and I went back to working on D shift with a $1.50 diff. It was mind-boggling.

Do you know how to make Adderall
I have a business proposition

Thank you Trash Mammal. Welcome to dog world b*tch*s

THIS SHOWSTOPPING SIGGY MADE BY journeyman SIGSMITH Luvcow

https://i.imgur.com/EebjYYe.mp4
THIS SHOWSTOPPING SIGGY MADE BY MASTER SIGSMITH Literally A Person

Official height endorsed by a medical professional: 5'11.5"

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Smugworth posted:

Do you know how to make Adderall
I have a business proposition

no I filled liquid chemo drugs, antibiotics, botox, antifungals, and opioid controlled substances; and the majority of them were lyophilized, I don't know gently caress-all about pills

I did fill pure liquid ephedrine a couple times, too, and that was treated as a CS because it's a precursor to amphetamines, but that was for blood pressure crashes during surgery

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

MrQwerty posted:

no I filled liquid chemo drugs, antibiotics, botox, antifungals, and opioid controlled substances; and the majority of them were lyophilized, I don't know gently caress-all about pills

Might be able to do something with the Botox
I'll PM you

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Smugworth posted:

Might be able to do something with the Botox
I'll PM you

botox was the scariest drug I ever worked with out of all of them, including mutagenic chemo drugs, and I will never go near it again in my life

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Listen pal do you wanna make real money or do you wanna keep getting 2.5% every year

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Smugworth posted:

Listen pal do you wanna make real money or do you wanna keep getting 2.5% every year

lol the 2cc vials we filled with botox were top heavy and constantly dropped on the way to the capper with the pressure diff between the cleanroom and the capper, so when it was time to clean up there was a giant ~1kg puddle of purified botox sitting on the floor and the belt was covered in it, I'm perfectly fine never interacting with botox again. I also haven't worked on drugs in a long rear end time.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
if you use amphetamines to power through your lovely job this is often the end result

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

The science is in and it turns out that science says these kinds of coworkers are in fact the extreme dummies you suspected them to be.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

Dick Fontaine posted:

The science is in and it turns out that science says these kinds of coworkers are in fact the extreme dummies you suspected them to be.

how do you have science from the future

are you a traveller

tell me who wins the 2027 triple crown

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Cabbages and Kings posted:

how do you have science from the future

are you a traveller

tell me who wins the 2027 triple crown

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

MrQwerty posted:

you should consider stepping hard on the palm of his hand for like a full hour and then loudly exclaiming that since he's whining about it and without accepting any responsibility you'll stop.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

you should consider stepping hard on the palm of his hand for like a full hour and then loudly exclaiming that since he's whining about it and without accepting any responsibility you'll stop.

she, and when they eventually fired me after giving me a promotion I dropped a nuke on them because she didn't sign my termination paperwork and I duly noted it, as per cGDP

don't gently caress with people that took the time to learn your system meticulously

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Mar 26, 2023

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I know nothing about American employment law, are you implying that the termination papers were completely null and void and they had to pay you a big fat compensation to not bring this up in court?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Op they’ve been told all of their life that if they work hard and do as they’re told they’ll “make it”. They are only a temporarily embarrassed millionaire and one magical day all of their hard work will pay off. In other words:

https://youtu.be/pt8VYOfr8To

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
American workplace law is on fire right now

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I know nothing about American employment law, are you implying that the termination papers were completely null and void and they had to pay you a big fat compensation to not bring this up in court?

nah, I'm implying that everyone who signed their name on that paperwork ate poo poo over a meticulously manufactured crisis that was known, because Pall stopped making filters in Puerto Rico cuz TRUMP HURRICANE and shooofed it off to some German plant that couldn't build PTFE drug manufacturing filters to their own standard, then said test it. Don't care about the results. Run it, test it, do it.

Actually we care about the results now

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Mar 26, 2023

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

MrQwerty posted:

nah, I'm implying that everyone who signed their name on that paperwork ate poo poo over a meticulously manufactured crisis that was known, because Pall stopped making filters in Puerto Rico cuz TRUMP HURRICANE and shooofed it off to some German plant that couldn't build PTFE drug manufacturing filters to their own standard, then said test it. Don't care about the results. Run it, test it, do it.

Actually we care about the results now

Pall is one of my clients and they’re a shitshow right now lmao

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Pall is one of my clients and they’re a shitshow right now lmao

lmao I loving BET THEY ARE

been trying to tell people how hosed Pall is for years but lol NDAs not legal now

the destruction of the Puerto Rico factory and the rampant racism surrounding it from Trump was just..... idk what to say about it.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Mar 26, 2023

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Some guy is all crazy about work

Me: Ahh I'm going to make me feel bad about this!

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Yeeah my partner is like this.
Overworks by default the whole Well Everyone Else Is Slacking Off So I Have To Pick Up The Difference, bosses start exploiting his overworking behaviour and overworks him even more without compensation, passes him up on promotions because they'd lose too much productivity making their own targets look bad, keeps overworking himself until he gets stressed and looks for a new job, repeat.
:sigh:
He'll never get a real management position because he's too submissive and easy to shout down.

He drives trucks now, delivery stuff. And still fell into the same loop. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i used to work at a cafe in downtown oakland that was barely making ends meet because the owner was a meth head, also because half the neighborhood had a tab they never paid. he was often so late paying me that i just started taking money out of the register. at some point the coffee vendor and some other suppliers started getting aggressive about debts and then the sheriff came and shut the place down. i lost a few good cd's in there. it was eventually bought by one of the guys from Tony! Toni! Toné! who also didn't do too well with it. now its a banh mi place. the original meth head owner disappeared for a bit and then supposedly became a cab driver in sf, but that was in like 2005 so im sure he's dead now. i never even thought about chasing him down for the hundred or so he still owed me because im sure it would have led into some insane drama i didnt need.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 27, 2023