Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I like the "matt Walsh dms were *real* bad" theory myself

Anyway yall are missing the boat here, he will move to Russia Today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Medicare is considering adding new diabetes and weight loss drugs Ozempic, Mounjaro, and Wegovy to their covered drug list. These drugs were originally for diabetes treatment, but they discovered that they seemed to be the first significantly effective weight loss drug and they have since been used off-label for weight loss. Using the drugs results in between 15% and 22% reduction in body weight over a year.

Under current law, Medicare does not cover any drugs for weight loss. The makers of the drugs are lobbying to change the law and allow drugs that are being prescribed for weight loss alone to be covered. However, given that the drugs are very new and very expensive, if 10% of Medicare patients who are obese or overweight began taking the drug (the estimated uptake percentage), then it could cost around $27 billion per year. That is equivalent to about 18.5% of all current Medicare drug spending.

In addition to the drug manufacturers themselves, many advocacy groups are pushing for more widespread adoption of the drug for weight loss. Preliminary results from a study that won't be completed until 2024 shows that semaglutide (the active ingredient in all of these drugs) reduces the risk of heart attacks, stroke, and death in overweight and obese patients who have had heart disease and there may be direct medical benefits to taking it for some patients instead of general benefits from reduced obesity. The drug companies, senior groups, and obesity organizations are likely to use the data from the study (once completed and assuming the final results show something similar) to push for Medicare to cover it.

Congress has introduced the Treat and Reduce Obesity Act, which would remove the prohibition on Medicare covering weight loss drugs and therapies, every few years for the last 12 years. It seems like it may have a bigger push behind it this year with the introduction of these new drugs.

However, these drugs alone would dramatically expand the costs of Medicare if they were covered. Because the drugs are so new, significant reductions in price or cost to manufacture aren't likely any time soon. One study estimates that the cost of the drugs would have to be reduced by about 60% before it would be cost-effective for Medicare to cover them.

Archive.is seems to be down, so I can't post the full article text behind the paywall.

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1650499923912151043

Might still result in an overall cost savings given how harmful obesity is generally.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Charliegrs posted:

I think both are very likely. All of the various texts and emails that were dug up during the Dominian hearings, I could see some really problematic communications between Tucker and Russian agents being unearthed. His narratives on the Ukraine war this last year have been literally the same as Russian propaganda channels. I doubt he came up with that all on his own.

Or Fox found Tuckers "mychildsexcrimes.txt" and canned him for that. We may never know.

They finally figured out what goes into those Swanson TV dinners

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
ok, I'm gonna put my chips on "incoming arrest warrant with Tucker's name on it."

That would explain the very sudden nature of this firing better than almost anything else I can think of. Everything else we're talking about you'd think they'd put him on hiatus first or something.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

nine-gear crow posted:

It's apparently sex poo poo.

I doubt it's just one thing, and I'm sure that's part of it, but everything that's been mentioned so far is "put the show on hiatus and announce he's taking a leave of absence and see if it blows over" type stuff, not "yeet into sun with no warning" type thing like just happened.

I realize I'm wishcasting a bit here but incoming criminal charges would explain the sudden and decisive nature of this better than what's been revealed so far.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

AtomikKrab posted:

I mean he did something that fox has become aware of that they are launching him out of existence as fast as they possibly can over. Not even "maybe this will blow over." territory, just 'you gone sir."

Yeah. The more likely option is just some truly explicitly racist text message logs, stuff bad enough that it'd make Murdoch look bad for tolerating it, hard-r etc.

But I like to think a criminal charge is incoming because that's funnier.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Velocity Raptor posted:

This is just speculation, but maybe after seeing how narrow Biden's win was, they're reluctant to put forth anyone who might split the votes and give the win to the GOP.

It'd also be somewhat of a cruel grift to try to solicit small-dollar donations for an anti-biden primary campaign when there's no realistic chance of achieving anything with it. Like, you aren't even gonna succeed in pushing him to the left, not this race. Even if Bernie ran, all he'd achieve after the inevitable defeat would be a bunch of newspaper headlines about how "Progressive wave ends? Bernie fails to achieve even a fraction of his 2020 support!" etc.

When Bernie ran before he had a realistic chance of either actually winning, pushing the party and the country left, or both. A run this cycle doesn't have much chance of doing either of those things, and could accidentally push the party towards the *right* if a bad loss discredits his legacy. Not running is the smart play for him.

Which is fine. He's old and the left needs new younger leadership anyway.

Rappaport posted:

Of course since uncle Joe is committed to running now, a primary challenger would be wasting their time I guess (since this isn't really 1968 levels of crazy just yet), but who are the Dems priming for 2028? Kamala is a disaster, and big-name senators like Bernie and Liz are olds.

I expect it'll be Kamala vs. a few random governors and the Squad, basically. Five years is a long time though.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Apr 26, 2023

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Failed Imagineer posted:

He literally could swap in VP Bernie and see a bump in polling, but Biden has never been that guy, Biden sucks, and we don't live in the kind of world where that is plausible

It would also be worse and harmful as that would take Bernie's vote out of the Senate

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

tagesschau posted:

This lawsuit was filed about an hour after the last of the events it addresses occurred. I know they knew it was coming, but I still can't help but be impressed.

Disney's litigation arm has long had a reputation for being *especially* effective even by the standards of high power corporate law.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

zoux posted:

But probably what really "killed" it, if indeed it is killed,

The national progressive movement is far, far stronger than it was before Bernie's races. Like, there's a reason there are no progressive elected politicians between Bernie and AoC: they *all* lost.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Eric Cantonese posted:

McCarthy managed to get some proposed debt ceiling legislation past the House, but 4 GOP Reps voted against it.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/26/debt-ceiling-house-passes-gop-bill-mccarthy-tries-to-draw-biden-into-talks.html

I wonder how this will all end.

We better all hope Biden is a numismatist.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mooseontheloose posted:

Plus the amount of sugar we put in everything combined with the low fat options being essentially pure sugar. The medicine is one part of the puzzle but how we handle the food chain is another obviously.

edit: plus less free time to exercise or move around compare to previous generations.

My personal pet theory is that any number of the various chemical compounds in our food and water are going to turn out to be the equivalent of lead in the Roman aqueducts.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Hungry posted:

https://slimemoldtimemold.com/2021/07/07/a-chemical-hunger-part-i-mysteries/

This is a very long set of essays examining the evidence for a chemical contaminant model of the obesity epidemic. The short version is yeah it might be microplastics but there's a slightly better case for lithium as a culprit.

Why would Lithium be more of an issue now than 100 years ago? It's a rock.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

TheDisreputableDog posted:

No one wants to hear this answer, but Mike Pence.

Let's just focus on the twenty or so capitol police who did their jobs and bought everyone in Congress time to evacuate safely.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

World Famous W posted:

a large part of the appeal of disney world is its in a nice subtropical beach area that is ideal for vacations

can't really take that with you if you up and move

It also won't have anything like the same kind of climate in, oh, ten to fifteen years

There's a decent argument that DW may have to relocate *anyway* fairly soon. Might as well move up to South Carolina and get the climate that Florida had back when DW was built.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
It's very tempting and convenient and comforting to believe that because there weren't catastrophic consequences on Jan 6, there could not have been.

Believing that is how we make sure there are such consequences next time.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Meatball posted:

So does this mean most federal regulations would be done? Faa, fcc,environmental regs and so on? We'd become a trash country overnight.

No, the rules would still be there, but every judge could substitute their own "expertise" for that of subject matter experts and there would be little way to overturn those opinions on appeal.

More judge as king type poo poo basically

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Nah. Legally, the number of shots a police officer makes has no impact on whether use of force was justified. The court just determines whether the use of force itself was justified and not the number of shots.

This is mostly but not entirely true. If the threat stops, they're supposed to stop shooting. You're correct that there's no bright line specific number, but, e.g., if the target falls to the ground and stops moving after five shots, they're supposed to stop shooting after those five shots.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
We better hope Joe Biden is a numismatist.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Main Paineframe posted:

There's only one party on this list that would have an interest in leaking only a single, relatively tame message, and that's Fox. Anyone else would have leaked more than one message, and would have chosen messages more blatantly objectionable.

My assumption was that Tucker leaked it, likely because he thinks the latter half of the quote makes him look better. I'm sure there's much more and much worse yet to be shown.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Maybe start with the people who aren't in the bubble. Maybe there's some you haven't spent the last decade eagerly alienating.

Who do you think is alienating who and how these days exactly?

Its Rupert Murdoch pouring out the poison here, not anyone to the left of wolf Blitzer.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Gyges posted:

Counterproposal, kick everyone off Medicaid and then expand Medicare to cover everybody.

Sadly, nobody is ever going to stand up for Medicaid, which is for the poors, but there is hope for Medicare, which is for grandma.

Medicaid is much broader coverage. There are a lot of things Medicaid covers that Medicare doesn't.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Inferior Third Season posted:

Discussing the morality or efficacy of political violence in the abstract is generally okay, though realize you are playing with fire and don't be surprised if you eat a probe, anyway. What is definitely not okay is discussing political violence against particular politicians or public figures.

Rule III.B of the D&D rules:

It's not just a matter of forum rules.

That kind of talk has been permabannable around here ever since the Secret Service showed up on Lowtax's doorstep. See, e.g., https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/373

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mellow Seas posted:

Heat starting to turn up on Feinstein, editorial in the NYT today calls for her to resign. If the demands for her resignation are getting this "establishment" I'm not sure how much longer she'll be able to hold out.

What are the impeachment rules for Senators again? Because that's how long she can hold out if she wants. There's no such thing as shame any more.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Slowpoke! posted:

Can’t believe that whole thing was because some marketing person had a trans person’s face printed on a can as a one-off Instagram post. For a company that big, they must be doing that type of marketing a dozen times a day. I doubt anyone put too much thought into the whole thing, and it set off a wildfire on the right.

It didn't "set off" anything. Right wing media relies on repeatedly engineering stupid rage bait poo poo like this.

If it weren't that it'd be something else.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 7, 2023

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
So when is she going to start her prison time

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Zwabu posted:

How, as a rich person, do you get to arbitrarily and indefinitely put off a jail sentence?

I believe her one weird trick here was getting pregnant while having exceptionally good lawyers. That, and

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1233603313029074944

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

fizzy posted:

I read this article. It indicates throughout, and concludes, that the interviewee is a sociopath who hunts the most dangerous game, and ends with a condemnation of the interviewee as being "guilty".

There's no such thing as an anti-war movie, and there's no such thing as a piece like this that isn't ultimately a fluff piece. You're humanizing the subject and making them more sympathetic, regardless.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

PharmerBoy posted:

While I agree with the general sentiment of "The Holmes article is a puff piece, entirely unnecessary, and better off unwritten and unpublished," the way your statement is worded comes across as we shouldn't remember the prison population/to-be-imprisoned population are human.

I think this would be a valid criticism if the NYT were publishing puff pieces about prisoners who have less than a million dollars in personal assets. The NYT isn't humanizing "the prison population/to-be-imprisoned population" generally here, they're humanizing one very specific, very wealthy white lady who almost certainly paid a lot of money to a PR firm for the privilege.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

If you are working at that age, then your parents are definitely on board and the extra step of applying for the permit probably wasn't much of an impediment.

Assuming you have parents and knowledge of permitting requirements

That said most people employing under the table kid labor probably won't be impacted by the new law yeah; they were under the table anyway. The issue would be that state level enforcement of such things is often more prevalent than federal enforcement because the feds are all the way in Washington and who's told them what's happening in Arkansas or wherever? But that assumes state level enforcement is even happening

Jaxyon posted:

It's this.

These idiots have no idea what they're doing, even less than your normal GOP elected official, and they're incredibly lazy.

You can just slide a bill in front of them.

They also have no shame or fear of not getting re-elected. The way you stay elected as a Republican these days is by never being out-crazied from the right, not by "doing a good job" or 'helping constituents" or anything else like that. So they can pass all the poo poo they want then just make sure there's a news story about MEXICO CARAVAN come election time and never fear re-election.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 8, 2023

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Yeah, but the functional change of "don't have to apply for permit" from "had to apply for permit" is likely to be pretty minimal for 99.9% of 14-year olds who were going to be formally employed. . . . .
The push for the change in these laws seems to be 100% driven by conservative groups pushing model legislation to state lawmakers and generic "trying to show businesses you are doing something to help them with labor" posturing from Republican lawmakers.

Yeah, it's signaling, not substance. That said I think part of the goal here is just to explicitly signal "we are willing to pass horrible poo poo into law."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

See, this is the part that bothers me: WHY does it have to keep growing? How did just being a profitable service people want become "not enough"? This whole system is made up, and the only thing keeping the system terrible and awful is that one of the made-up rules is innately unsustainable and has only been maintained thus far via unnecessary human suffering. So why keep doing it?

Unfortunately, the best answer to this that I've seen comes from here:

quote:

Moloch is introduced as the answer to a question – C. S. Lewis’ question in Hierarchy Of Philosophers – what does it? Earth could be fair, and all men glad and wise. Instead we have prisons, smokestacks, asylums. What sphinx of cement and aluminum breaks open their skulls and eats up their imagination?

And Ginsberg answers: Moloch does it.

There’s a passage in the Principia Discordia where Malaclypse complains to the Goddess about the evils of human society. “Everyone is hurting each other, the planet is rampant with injustices, whole societies plunder groups of their own people, mothers imprison sons, children perish while brothers war.”

The Goddess answers: “What is the matter with that, if it’s what you want to do?”

Malaclypse: “But nobody wants it! Everybody hates it!”

Goddess: “Oh. Well, then stop.”

The implicit question is – if everyone hates the current system, who perpetuates it? And Ginsberg answers: “Moloch”. It’s powerful not because it’s correct – nobody literally thinks an ancient Carthaginian demon causes everything – but because thinking of the system as an agent throws into relief the degree to which the system isn’t an agent.

Bostrom makes an offhanded reference of the possibility of a dictatorless dystopia, one that every single citizen including the leadership hates but which nevertheless endures unconquered. . . . . .

https://slatestarcodex.com/2014/07/30/meditations-on-moloch/

(the rest of this blog is bad and off the right-wing deep end -- sortof a highbrow Joe Rogan from what I gather at least)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

So basically, the answer I've gathered from these responses is that the "infinite growth" thing is necessary only because it provides a large amount of money to a small amount of people despite causing a large amount of damage to a large amount of people and doing long term damage to companies as a whole.

And because we have not yet sufficiently re-organized society so as to stop it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Gyges posted:

As much as DeSantis is a terrible candidate and horrible person, his main issue

His main issue is that he's not Trump: more specifically, he can't convincingly pretend to be a larger-than-life billionaire and television character (not even for Republican-base values of "convincing.")

The "secret sauce" that made Trump work is that he's a poor man's idea of a rich person, an idiot's idea of a smart person ("if you're so smart, why aren't you rich" implies that anyone who is rich is smart), and an rear end in a top hat's idea of a successful person, and a large fraction of the Republican base are poor, idiotic assholes, so he slotted naturally into their conception of an ideal leader.

DeSantis has the "rear end in a top hat" part down but he doesn't have the money and he doesn't have the big dick energy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

- Pulled a surprise vote to convert part of the district into a private charter school with no warning.

This is the end goal of all this. Not necessarily of the board members themselves, who are often just insane, but the larger goal of the policy push: destabilize public schools and force privatization for profit

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Comesy option: Santos invokes the "anyone can move for a vote of no confidence" provision while incarcerated, paralyzing the House . . .and forcing Biden to mint the coin!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
If he's "in custody" he's behind bars. He might get out once and if a bond is set. His bond hearing should happen ASAP if it hasn't already.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mike Pence says he doesn't think voters will care about Trump being declared a sexual assaulter in a court of law.

He's probably correct, for Republican primary voters.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Clarste posted:

I assume they're referring to the famous "grab 'em by the pussy" "they'll let you do it if you're famous" stuff from the Access Hollywood video back in 2016.

Which he repeated in his videotaped under-oath deposition for the Carroll trial, which was replayed at the Carrol trial, like within the past week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

If we take his statements in good faith, he acknowledges that they consent to the “pussy grabbing” (the “they let you do it if your famous” part that you mention).

It’s crude and indecorous, to be clear, but not an admission of sexual assault.

if you think "they let you do it" == "they consent", then, uh h h h . . . .

dude

no