Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
All my parents and grandparents are severely lactose intolerant, but I'm fine with it, inexplicably. They all also get The Blush and I don't.

I used to drink milk all the time but I fell out of the practice in adulthood because sometime inbetween the late 90's and 2010 the quality of most mainstream milk products nosedived. In your typical modern supermarket, you might have access to decent milk, but it'll usually be the higher priced stuff. Everything else now has weird chemical aftertaste and really just kind of tastes thin and bland and weirdly sour. Apparently a lot of this has to do with how corporatizing pressures on farming eliminated most stuff that wasn't just shitloads of cows crammed into ugly conditions and fed weird cost-saving feed. Nearly nothing left on the shelf is grassfed.

So if someone grew up in gen z or later millenial I usually assume that unless your parents were shelling out for pricier organic brands or local farm delivery (if even available!) you would try what you had in the house or what your school lunch served you ó and wisely and correctly despise it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
that's got shades of the Margarine Wars and doing things like forcing margarine to be dyed pink to protect dairy

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
The most hosed I ever felt was when I missed a placement exam and had to tell my parents afterwards, and that was probably at .001% of the power of what the leaker is feeling right now

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

James Garfield posted:

You need a majority vote in the house to impeach Clarence Thomas
really? i assume that doesn't include removal?

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

pork never goes bad posted:

Isn't it already reported that it's related to Abby Grossberg's lawsuit alleging sexual harassment, a hostile work environment, and being coached to lie on the stand? I believe I read that in this very thread. Photoshopping Nancy pelosi onto a bikini model and voting on the hotness of women and other odious rear end poo poo. I suppose it's unconfirmed at this point - the NYT hasn't verified a cause yet.

He's a collapsed singularity of absolutely abhorrent traits who did openly fascist rhetoric as his public persona, so he could leave us guessing for a while from the infinite sea of things it COULD be. I'd rather that NYT or someone else get a pretty solid confirmation on actual cause.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Shooting Blanks posted:

Kinda curious to know what other corporations are in the running for this. Hasbro sent the Pinkertons after a guy this week which took me by surprise.

That's more an example of companies being stupid and punitively reactive in ways which indicate that they have less sense about how to utilize legal resources.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Dpulex posted:

Seems like some uncertainty would be solved if the McCarthy would just publicly release his poo poo house budget, so everyone can see in writing that itís poo poo.

It's a pretty straightforward answer to why he isn't releasing it.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Jaxyon posted:

Nebraska? I guess it's beautiful if you like large flat cornfields.

Nebraska can actually be pretty beautiful when you hit the areas which are irregularly hilly, so you're seeing waves of land rolling out in every direction. It could even make you temporarily forget you're in Nebraska.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

lobster shirt posted:

looks like the allen tx shooter was a nazi

the patch here said RWDS which stands for right wing death squad

On twitter (which increasingly just resembles a right wing firehose-model disinfo hive, especially when you go in as a fresh uncookied user), there is a torrential and ceaseless attempt to insist he is a cartel member, in order to disingenuously shift the framing of the issue away from guns being dangerous and back to brown people being dangerous

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

one canít be a leftists and a twitter poster. Any twitter poster should be immediately suspect, including dril.

I think that's kind of an expressly strange and counterproductive way of gatekeeping leftism, and that's even coming from a standpoint where I believe there's no obligation whatsoever for people to maintain a dissenting leftist voice on twitter.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Discendo Vox posted:

I read the article. It indicates throughout, and concludes, that Holmes is a skilled charlatan who is trying to use the author to rehab her public image, and ends with rejecting the couple's calculated self-presentation:

I haven't read the article yet but I think that much like with satire, an article about someone like her requires a distinct clarity of purpose and strongly and CLEARLY conclusive criticism of the subject, lest it be mistaken for and contribute to the rehabilitation of that which it intends to criticize ó and I am not exactly going to be surprised if it falls very short of this even if it ticks all the technical boxes to say "well the article wasn't in SUPPORT of her, per se, .."

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Eiba posted:

Tokugawa Japan is another pretty prominent example, and might be our best example of a developed feudal society that, through some geographical luck, was able to actually just do what a feudal state naturally wants to do without outside influence: just chill.

I'm entirely unsurprised that after years upon years of rampaging and conspicuously massacring people all the way across Korea in an attempt to subjugate the entire territory and culture, ending in extremely costly failure and the loss of the fleets necessary for that kind of invasion, Japan was enthusiastically going "Whew, super excited to Just Chill and only do a little brutal military conquest for a while."

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Eiba posted:

I am 100% not saying a society that doesn't value infinite growth is necessarily good. Tokugawa Japan is pretty hosed up in a lot of other ways. But this is a non sequitur. The Edo period lasted for centuries. If it was in part the product of Japan failing at incredibly brutal attempts at imperialism... okay? It's still an example of many generations of humans agreeing that "growth" isn't worth it.

Those generations didn't agree on that, though. The strictness of class division that they enforced during that timeperiod was essentially to mandate economic and agricultural growth for the sake of the ruling class. All that's really demonstrated by the transition to the edo period was that, for the time being, growth and exploitation would have to focus mostly inside the country because of how poorly their previous imperial occupations of other territory went in the end. I don't really think they get bonus points for this kind of 'inward focus' mandated by a generational-scale loss of force projection capability, especially considering how the experiment ended with the return of imperial occupation

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Name Change posted:

Pretty much every time, the Republicans claim they will hold the debt hostage, and every time their donors call up at the last minute and politely ask about what the gently caress they are doing. The actual problem this time is that a good portion of the House is actual fascists who don't give a gently caress and don't have a plan.

Yeah, before it was people playing the game and acting their part. Then they slowly got replaced with too many people who believed the whole thing.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
ESPN backing out of platform exclusivity is effectively the obituary for tv on the whole. Sports bundling was the last pillar of life support for cable TV, and the whole thing is going to collapse outright eventually. It's an open question what happens to broadcast TV.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Beast Pussy posted:

So if Feinstein is so determined to die in office, has anyone considered just letting her? How many 20 hour days do you think she has in her? Just wheel her into every meeting until she changes her mind. I bet you could get her out of office one way or another in two weeks. Putting her on light duty is affording her more respect than she's currently giving to the office.

There's a 95 year old Federal Circuit Judge who is at present having paranoid sundowner fits that are causing her staff to quit, declines to follow court obligations based on conversations she thinks she's having with a chief judge who's been dead for 17 years, cannot retain information necessary to log into the court system (and then flies into a rage because she's convinced it's because she's being hacked), threatens to arrest her staffers, and has almost stopped handling her workload entirely. But she categorically refuses to step down and is and suing to block any attempt to obligate her to neurological and neuropsychological assessment. Apparently as long as she can still manage to find her way into the courtroom to poo poo her pants and yell at walls, this is all it takes to permit her to remain one of the country's most important judges.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Gyges posted:

Lifetime appointments made a lot more sense when to become a doctor you just had to start referring to your self as one, and the height of medical technology was better ways to bring your humors into balance.

Yeah, the judicial system coasts on what it considers its own informal chummy solutions, like a formally suggested appointment 'up' to a senior position (that serves only at invitation) or gentle pressure from your colleagues to step down, but this judge absolutely will not have it with any suggestion that she needs to quit or have any oversight whatsoever, so instead she's a test of how crazy this can actually get.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I think DeSantis just wants. He's not going to not feel entitled to anything he can get, and he probably has little respect or concern for people's conventional notion about what kind of person 'gets' to go into the presidency.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

James Garfield posted:

Imagine launching your presidential campaign in a Twitter Space. Not even Marianne Williamson or Vivek Ramaswamy would do that.

I mean it won't matter but how could you make that decision, even if your biggest fans are groyper congressional staffers who spend all their time on twitter.

He's desperate to emulate trump in some ways, and it eventually shows through all his weird energy.

FlamingLiberal posted:

How is this person able to function that normally with TB?

It's very easy to be a silent carrier as an asymptomatic M. tuberculosis "latent carrier" - TB disease is a subsequent symptomatic form.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
See, when I try to think of shapes which are kind of like a F in the sense of not being arranged like an F in the slightest, I think of Florida? I also see the cheap stitching that just links the colored threads together between letters.

haveblue posted:

I cannot wait to Make America Lorida

Ꞁlorida

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
The emergence of untreated consumption back into the horrifying prevalence it used to have is enough of a shorthand for "return of the dark ages" that the law won't gently caress around with it, usually

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The 'dying gasp' narrative just makes people think they can win by sitting back and doing nothing. They cannot.

Killer robot posted:

Most famously, the Civil War was the dying gasp of chattel slavery. ... Given what happened then, and how incomplete their defeat was, it would be reasonable to be scared by rich, well-armed fascists seeing the same sort of countdown the slavers did.

Yeah, "This is a dying ideology" or "This is a dying party" is a ... factual statement, especially profound when it comes to generational demographics (Any generation below the baby boomers is majority opposed to the right wing, and gen z is both remarkably hostile to them by wide margin and has voter engagement greatly exceeding previous generations at similar ages) and regional demographics (I'm not even sure republicans still have a mayor in any single american city with a population a bit over a million)

But it should be treated with the same caution and very clear caveats as "This is a dying star, in its last gasps!" - you don't want to suggest to people any sort of implied harmlessness or inevitability. conservative or authoritarian political or popular bases do NOT become less dangerous as their traditional means to holding power begin to evaporate around them.

The party as a whole has mostly woken up to the fact that they have to subvert democracy to survive, and they're showing every indication that they plan to follow that trend as far as they can, and they have seriously powerful tools for antidemocratic minority rulership lockdown through systems like the Senate and the Electoral College.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Weka posted:

A great deal of it seems to inflating at a higher rate than bread. A stinger missile cost $25,000 in 1991, now it costs $400,000. Here's an article about inflated procurement costs.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/weapons-contractors-price-gouging-pentagon-60-minutes-transcript-2023-05-21/

impressive. a giant con job top to bottom.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm 99% certain that Paxton is just making poo poo up like the time when Trump claimed he would have won CA in 2016 if it wasn't for 'millions of illegal votes'. If 2.5 million mail ballots in TX were 'thrown out' we would have heard about it somewhere more reliable by now

This is not to say that his office didn't participate in voter disenfranchisement

I like the level he's on where to prove his bonafides, he's not claiming that he didn't do voter disenfranchisement but is attempting lies claiming that his voter disenfranchisement was better, larger, and more effective than it really was.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Celexi posted:

Re scientology I don't think I ever posted about it because I don't want them showing up and murdering us but I have first hand experience how hosed up they make people.

their 'show up whenever spoken about even slightly and attempt to criminally harass people into silence' years are mostly behind them. they were actually such zealous harassers and suppressors that they were instrumental in helping establish protections for the earlier internet against assault

and were also vital in helping wikipedia learn you couldn't just let everybody contribute

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Classical Learning and Classics and everything about it is long into the process of cooptation into "trad" and "tradwest" repackaging of christian nationalism and white supremacy

It's already resulted in the bizarre condition of basically all traditionalist and classical architecture praising accounts being a collective of thinly veiled nazis

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Killer robot posted:

I'm skeptical on the lead-crime link

The way we're going to know about this one way or another is to wait and observe long term trends in geriatric care for gen X-ers. They have the most latent lead poisoning by far, and the disparity in exposure among that population is so strong that you could probably retroactively map redlining onto it.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Tiny Timbs posted:

The extreme resistance to sanctions and level of investment NATO countries had in Russian businesses was a major issue last year so Iím not exactly sure why Iím supposed to see NATO as exerting economic pressure against Russia.

That's because the argument was built around baseline claims which had been designed from the start to fault other countries for 'provoking russian aggression' when doing the things russia least wants them to do, because it adequately protected them from russian aggression.

So each of the arguments boils down to abuser logic converted to geopolitics scale: those who are not actively placating russia with defenselessness are to be faulted, in whole or part.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
birth rates declining is honestly one of the most reliable outcomes of doing things like providing functioning social systems and education (both about sex, and in general) to your populace while also tearing down gender essentialist walls and patriarchal institution ... even if the latter condition usually lags far, far behind. This transformation is, in fact, so effective that you can usually end up with the inverse problem of unmanaged population decline, especially in the most rigorously "your life is now capitalism 24/7" countries like my own

so the problem is usually one of these countries having been exploited for our entire lifetime and only barely being able to float above neoliberally imposed conditions. But that's usually a conversation most of the Ehrlich types don't want to have.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Failed Imagineer posted:

Pat Robertson dead, post crabs

You can connect a lot of modern american insanity back to the once significant power of him and the moral majority types, and the cultural backlash to these people being progressively forced to dress up or awkwardly drop a lot of their unveiled bigotry

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

the_steve posted:

The point is, there has been "Any day now the party is going to collapse and vanish..." talk about the Republican party for literal generations, yet somehow they're still around and kicking.

Well, yeah. There's been massive demographic changes against american conservatives building up since the new millenium (and really taking off around 2014 or so), but the issue of popular nonviability is only an existential concern for parties which aren't willing to bulldoze over anything they can to prevent that from mattering and turning into political nonviability.

(Which is essentially what's been happening, assisted by the fact that urban populations are easy to apply bias tension against in the american FPTP system, AND the structure of the senate giving them electoral welfare, AND the entire election being decided by a system that was originally put in place to calm down nervous slaver oligarchs). They've been putting every thumb they have on the scales, and it goes a long way.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
McCarthy kind of played himself there by issuing an ultimatum he couldn't even remotely follow up on. What was he going to do, start swinging right there and then?

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Why cant I be a nationalist and a socialist *beat* Ohhhhhhh right.
"How dare they demand I treat others with basic decency regardless of race, its so unreasonable"

Not to mention modern populism is just another word for Nazi. "I don't want to do terrible things myself but the people in my rally audiences demand it".

modern populism in practice stole the best definition yet of conservatism. the mob is that which must be protected but not bound by the law, and the Evil Woke Forces they stand against must be bound but not protected

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

OctaMurk posted:

He's . . . he's a pussy?

McCarthy would like to issue a correction: he didn't have to hand it to swalwell, but he did (along with his lunch money)

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Boris Galerkin posted:

E: your body only needs like 2500 or whatever kcal. If youíre getting that amount then you are not hungry no matter what you think

Nah, I'm definitely factually and objectively hungry

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

OctaMurk posted:

if you feel hungry then youre hungry, its literally a feeling. How can you literally be arguing "nope youre just not hungry!!" Lmao

Yup. I'm definitely hungry when I'm hungry, whether I've had 0 calories in the last day or if I've had 4000. Whether someone has a medically problematic sensation of hunger or not, they aren't just "not really hungry" like it's a D&D spell they can disbelieve and it poofs away

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Main Paineframe posted:

To be perfectly honest, I don't think the Reagans possibly consulting an astrologer is much worse than Trump appointing John Bolton and Michael Flynn to be National Security Advisors, or appointing Sidney Powell and Rudy Giuliani to give him legal advice. I guess they were all technically qualified for those positions, but by 2018 or so they were all deeply embroiled in magical thinking and well-known for giving absolutely terrible advice.

*flashbacks to choi soon-sil*

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

xeria posted:

With Mitch obviously priming up a massive stroke sooner than later, who's poised in the GOP to take control as senate party leader? I'm sure at least a half dozen guys think they should get it but they're all probably guys that no one else likes (Cruz, etc.).

unless he strokes out completely before stepping down, mitch will witness, in the very last part of his life, the completion of the cycle ó where he is an obsolete relic, and the deranged True Believers of all the nonsense they crafted, perpetuated (and managed from above) filtered up into leadership and become the ideology

he'll be replaced by whichever toadie best hits the Mediocrity Center, where they're

1. enough of a deranged grifter weirdo to pass all the popular conservative purity tests

2. enthusiastically performative enough to do all the dishonest weird poo poo you need to do at that level

3. not so far into it that they have TRULY radioactive poo poo boiling under the surface, like matt gaetz

so someone in the same moron hack category as, say, jim jordan

i hope mitch is conscious of this fact and i hope he is despondent about it for every remaining moment of his life

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
the universe gave them plenty of warnings, they should have basically understood it was over by the time this came out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
the only regret I have with the change of the seasons is the losing out on the summer thread title, because i witnessed the YOU GOBLIN rear end WEIRDOS story live and it still makes me laugh