Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Here's two interesting studies that came out today. They determined that there are two defining qualities for Gen Z:

- They hate milk.
- They love saving for retirement.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/04/dining/milk-dairy-industry-gen-z.html

Gen Z are saving far more for retirement and investing in the stock market than any other generation and are currently on track to be "the best prepared generation" for retirement in the U.S.

67% of Gen Zers that have a retirement plan offered are contributing to it and they are contributing an average of 20% of their income to retirement. The average person age 18-25 with a 401(k) has $33,000 invested already.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/saving-retirement-america-dramatic-shift-new-report
https://www.kiplinger.com/personal-finance/study-finds-gen-z-doing-an-extraordinary-job-saving-for-retirement

my completely anecdotal take based on my own situation is that the major increase in 401k savings rate is because a lot of younger people have given up on owning a home and are socking away what in the past would have been down payment money while they split renting a house with five other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the article specifically notes an uptick in target date funds. if there actually is a marked increase in retirement investing from gen z, i wonder how much is driven by newer best practices of just having everything be opt-out automated systems instead of consciously opting in

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Barrel Cactaur posted:

the management fees on those are such a ripoff.

i only invest through vanguard so can't speak to other brokerages, but their target date funds are sub 10 bps. sure you can save two or three bps by just holding admiral shares of the underlying funds (which is what i do), but at the end of the day having a single fund that handles asset allocation for the disinterested investor is worth the miniscule difference in price. i have to assume it's similar at schwab and fidelity, and that edward jones probably offers some monstrous load fund with 1% expense ratio

edit:

Jaxyon posted:

If your company is really dumb(like mine) they get sold on specifically managed versions for the company where they jack up the fees on the managed versions even more than normal.

i could be wrong, but my understanding is that this is cost cutting measure for the company, with the higher fund fees offsetting the administrative costs the company would otherwise have to pay. though if it's at a predatory brokerage with a salesperson who golfs with the owner, it could also just be a lovely deal to get bespoke active funds i guess

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 4, 2023

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Young Freud posted:

DeKalb county has issued a stop work order on Cop City. Apparently, inspectors found that the silt fence and other erosion control measures have failed, violating the land development permit.
https://twitter.com/atlanta_press/status/1644137859589328896?s=20
https://twitter.com/atlanta_press/status/1644138544632299521?s=20

if dekalb inspectors are anything like the ones i've worked with, if a stop work order was given for bmps then either they're looking for an excuse to issue a stop work order or the site is a disaster zone. every bmp is installed half assed and never maintained afterward, and no one gives a poo poo unless it becomes a major problem

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
wait, am i misunderstanding, or does arizona not have any sort of water restrictions in place?

fake edit: wait none of the other states in the southwest have water restrictions? that can't be right, that's loving insane

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
if our lovely half measures to deal with this crisis are somehow significantly better than everyone else in this slow motion train wreck i'm going to scream

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Google Jeb Bush posted:

about 20% of arizona water use is residential: https://new.azwater.gov/conservation/public-resources#:~:text=On%20average%2C%20each%20Arizona%20resident,%2C%20washing%20cars%2C%20etc.)

navigating the state website is proving more annoying than i want to deal with at the moment, but this is an arizona municipal water association chart:

that seems to jive well enough with azwater.gov's "Up to 70 percent of that water is used outdoors (watering plants, swimming pools, washing cars, etc.) "

so if we go with the 70% max number, and abolish absolutely all of it, that's what, a 15% reduction in arizona water use?

That's pretty significant, but that still leaves 85%.

i'm extremely firmly in favor of moving towards non-grass / local-plant lawns, it just wouldn't resolve the colorado river shortage; that needs to be done through agriculture limitations (or california destroying the other six states)

for comparison i dug up this report california legislative analyst office report https://lao.ca.gov/Publications/Report/4509 (see the section "Questionable Whether Water Conservation Is Most Effective Use of State Funding.")

california average residential use in per day in 2021 was 93 gallons (no indoor/outdoor break down, and will probably always be significantly lower than arizona's usage since the average temperature is lower in california). urban/agricultural split is 20/80, and agriculture is specifically called out as an area of opportunity. residential use per capita has decreased 14% since 2014. would be interesting to see how per capita water usage rates have changed over that period

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Gatts posted:

I am going to ask a monumentally stupid question…why can’t California use ocean water and clean and filtrate the salt and stuff out? Do we not have the tech for such a thing? Maybe not for drinking but for lawns and agriculture.

the upfront cost of the infrastructure, limited potential capacity compared to overall demand, extreme energy requirements which would complicate the effort to make renewables the main source of power for the state, the production of concentrated brine inherent to the process that is difficult to deal with without killing wetland and nearshore plants and animals, and the best locations being on valuable coastal real estate where every resident has a law firm on retainer

focusing on efficiency increases and especially improved waste water reuse are better ways to go then filtering millions of acre feet of sea water

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Medicare is considering adding new diabetes and weight loss drugs Ozempic, Mounjaro, and Wegovy to their covered drug list. These drugs were originally for diabetes treatment, but they discovered that they seemed to be the first significantly effective weight loss drug and they have since been used off-label for weight loss. Two of them were eventually approved for weight loss in certain extreme cases in 2022. Using the drugs results in between 15% and 22% reduction in body weight over a year.

Under current law, Medicare does not cover any drugs for weight loss. The makers of the drugs are lobbying to change the law and allow drugs that are being prescribed for weight loss alone to be covered. However, given that the drugs are very new and very expensive, if 10% of Medicare patients who are obese or overweight began taking the drug (the estimated uptake percentage), then it could cost around $27 billion per year. That is equivalent to about 18.5% of all current Medicare drug spending.

In addition to the drug manufacturers themselves, many advocacy groups are pushing for more widespread adoption of the drug for weight loss. Preliminary results from a study that won't be completed until 2024 shows that semaglutide (the active ingredient in all of these drugs) reduces the risk of heart attacks, stroke, and death in overweight and obese patients who have had heart disease and there may be direct medical benefits to taking it for some patients instead of general benefits from reduced obesity. The drug companies, senior groups, and obesity organizations are likely to use the data from the study (once completed and assuming the final results show something similar) to push for Medicare to cover it.

Congress has introduced the Treat and Reduce Obesity Act, which would remove the prohibition on Medicare covering weight loss drugs and therapies, every few years for the last 12 years. It seems like it may have a bigger push behind it this year with the introduction of these new drugs.

However, these drugs alone would dramatically expand the costs of Medicare if they were covered. Because the drugs are so new, significant reductions in price or cost to manufacture aren't likely any time soon. One study estimates that the cost of the drugs would have to be reduced by about 60% before it would be cost-effective for Medicare to cover them.

Archive.is seems to be down, so I can't post the full article text behind the paywall.

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1650499923912151043

for folks like me who had never heard of this class of drugs and were wondering about the mechanism of action, after a bit of brief skimming of relevant articles, it appears that the same mechanism that regulates insulin levels is also an effective appetite suppressant. it'd be nice to have a tool to help folks deal with the clash between a body designed for calorie scarcity and a commercial food sector incentivized to maximize that innate drive

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
hmm, wonder if the ayers and o'reilly lawsuits played a role in this? i guess the hope is that if you fire the guy it makes a quit settlement much easier?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
if your account is below the fdic limit then there's literally no impact on you at all

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

A big flaming stink posted:

https://twitter.com/ohshidt/status/1652753881137397760

this is a deeply, deeply sick country. I just cannot begin to imagine the mindset that would lead you to taking shots at someone fishing hundreds of feet away

And bullshit " we've had things go missing " even if that was true you're going to deprive someone of their life for that?

Honestly I'm not even anti-gun, but I have no idea how you deal with the insanely psychotic mindset of conservatives that every second of real life is kill or be killed

in my personal experience, if you're in a rural area and folks are getting trigger happy like this more often than not there's a drug habit and/or illicit stuff happening on their property. that's just my neck of the woods though. america offers a vast array of delusional paranoia which can immediately leap to deadly gun violence

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
ugh, i remember performing "the laramie project" when i was in high school as part of an elective drama class. really was an eye opening experience at a time when being out in high school was a very bold choice. of course that's the kind of poo poo they want to shut down

and "a midsummers night dream" i guess, what with the crossdressing acting troupe. they can put it in the same banned section as michelangelo's david

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

I'm also very disappointed that whoever leaked these documents only leaked one page out of several dozen. I have to wonder if this was the tamest or the worst of the messages.

if this is what got him fired there has to be worse, none of this seems that different from his emails which were become public during the trial

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the logical conclusion is that it's for some kind of election related fraud what with all the lies, but i really hope it's something new that comes in completely from left field

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Tim Scott gave a long sit-down interview with NBC.

Most of it was fluff, but some interesting statements.

Invading/bombing Mexico seems to be a mainstream Republican belief now.

first we bring back the spanish flu, then we bring back the pancho villa expeditions. a trench based war in europe on a scale not seen for generations is being fought by a decaying colonial power worried about the implications of a large bloc alliance opposed to its expansionist interests. if we're going to just repeat a previous century, the 20th seems like a very poor choice

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i guess there's something to be said for the existential dread that must manifest when a career politician realizes they probably can't be nominated even in the weakest field in their lifetime. jumping into the contest with no actual plan or hope to quiet the voice in their head telling them that they'll never be able to hook that shiny brass ring

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
in case any of you are wondering what rahm emanual is up to as our ambassador to japan, rest assured he's using his time wisely

quote:

Rahm Emanuel, the US Ambassador to Japan, took the unusual step of getting involved to make the case for the US, as a counterbalance to the Sunak effort. The former mayor of Chicago, who also worked in the White House and in investment banking, met with Son and his lieutenants more than a dozen times, according to the people. Emanuel repeatedly relayed the view that Arm would be “penalized, not rewarded” for a joint listing on LSE.

He worked with [Nasdaq Inc. Chief Executive Officer Adena] Friedman and Nasdaq staff on research to show that dual-listed stocks tend to underperform their peers over time. The report analyzed a group of more than 550 companies with valuations between $10 billion and $50 billion, drawing comparisons between stocks listed solely in the US, US ADRs with a foreign listing and US ADRs with a London listing. It concluded that stocks listed only in the US had 2.5 times greater trading volumes, about three times more liquidity and two times higher median price-to-equity valuation.

“US-listed peers have tighter spreads, higher valuation and greater liquidity than US American Depository Receipts with a foreign listing,” read the report produced for SoftBank, which was reviewed by Bloomberg. Plus, “there are additional costs to consider,” such as producing financial statements under US and UK standards, stated the document.

somehow putting together pitchdecks for the listing of private companies is even more craven and mercenary than i had expected

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i'm sure there is at the very least 2 votes on the supreme court for overturning us vs. wong kim ark

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Young Freud posted:

In Texas AG Ken Paxton's first media appearance since getting impeached on Steve Bannon's show. he talks about stopping 2.5 million mail-in votes after seeing other states flip from voter challenges. A lot of people are taking this as evidence that Paxton engaged in voter suppression and fraud.

https://twitter.com/CollinDems/status/1663375630593847300?s=20

i personally know a woman in houston who was unable to vote in 2020 because of fuckery with lines and poll cutoff times. i won't hold my breath that anyone is held accountable, but it still makes me so mad to see someone being actively disenfranchised

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Velocity Raptor posted:

If anyone's interested in watching it in real time, they're finally voting on the Fiscal Responsibility Act.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmq_6isL-7c

Surprisingly strong republican support after the complaining they were doing. They're over 50% gop voting yea.

yeah, looks like it's already over the line. now the senate and biden have the weekend to get this finalized and put this stupid process out of mind for the next few years

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
pence is piling into the gop primary clowncar

quote:

But he faces some stiff headwinds in the race to the White House as he fights to win the support of a party that remains largely loyal to Trump.

His poll numbers are better than some of his competitors’ but have mostly hovered around the low- to mid-single digits in surveys of the prospective primary field.

His campaign is booting up weeks, if not months, later than those of many of his rivals, including Trump and DeSantis, who are leading the pack in polls.

And it’s unclear if Pence will be able to generate a big enough war chest to be able to meaningfully compete with other contenders’ operations, some of which were flush with cash from the outset or poised to benefit from massive spending from allied super PACs. One such group backing DeSantis, for instance, expects to wield a $200 million operating budget.

Perhaps one of Pence’s biggest hurdles: Walking the fine line of touting his accomplishments in the “Trump-Pence administration,” as he often calls it, while distinguishing himself from his former boss.

anyone with a better grasp of us history trivia know if a former vice president has attempted to primary their president? maybe back in the wild adams and jefferson days when the administration ended up always being mixed between parties

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the initial reaction from the gop ranges from suggesting stochastic violence to complaining about hillary clinton, so nothing too suprising

https://twitter.com/RepAndyBiggsAZ/status/1667241900938502146

https://twitter.com/RonDeSantis/status/1666986884604522499

meanwhile chris christie basically reminds everyone that he's not a part of the modern gop and is running for inscrutable reasons that couldn't possibly include winning the primary

https://twitter.com/GovChristie/status/1667336061540761601

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Help, I rolled my eyes so hard that they went backwards and now I'm blind!

I see this as caving to pressure rather than a reflection of improvement, but maybe I'm being overly pessimistic. If inflation is still well above the target, why let up?

the indicators lag the actual economic effects, and the actual economic effects lag the rate hikes. if the fed keeps cutting right up until they meet their inflation target they will for sure overshoot. yoy inflation has cooled significantly, not to mention there's still the specter of this year's regional bank crisis in the back of everyone's minds, to me it seems prudent to pause

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Mellow Seas posted:

Inflation isn’t inherently bad, or an indicator of things “getting worse,” though. If wages are growing faster than inflation - and they haven’t over the last 18 months overall but they are right now - then it’s copacetic.

We had no inflation for basically the entire Obama presidency and that caused its own set of problems. Japan has gotten wrecked by deflation in the last 30 years. I don’t have enough of an Econ background to explain the exact mechanisms but 2% inflation is “ideal” and I think even 4% would be fine if it was steady. Hell that was the target rate until… the 90s, I wanna say?

the 2% target has no concrete mechanism behind it, it was basically chosen as a good enough number based on a historical study of outcomes under different rates. it was only fairly recently that they fed even explicitly set a target, greenspan was considered surprisingly communicative when he began suggesting that the fed had a vague target in mind when making decisions. the level of communication by todays fed on it's reasoning and intentions would be completely unheard of even 20 years ago

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

zoux posted:

I can't find the tweet but one of the major outlets, either NYT or WaPo, paid a bunch of Miami high schoolers to sit in the court room and relay info about what was going on to the outside world.

https://twitter.com/tomaskenn/status/1669396680645410824

There's gotta be some pathology at work here

a larry david character come to life

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

You aren't crazy. Everyone did really become much more dangerous drivers during the pandemic and remain much more dangerous drivers.

The GHSA has finished their collection of data from 49 states (Oklahoma did not provide data for some reason) on car-related fatalities for pedestrians and dangerous driving.

They not only got much more dangerous, but they were record-settingly dangerous for pedestrians. 2020 broke the previous record set in 1980 for highest rate of pedestrian traffic deaths. And then 2021 and 2022 continued to each break the records from the previous years.

Weirdly, Iowa drivers actually got significantly safer. Several other states had mild improvements as well, but the 24 states with increases all had extremely large increases in fatalities that overwhelmed the improvement in other states.

Arizona, Oregon, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Virginia, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts had the largest increases in deaths.

https://www.ghsa.org/resources/Pedestrians23

hmm based on the inflection point in 2010, i'm assuming a large part of this is suvs and trucks making up a bigger share of vehicles on the road and turning what would have been an injury into a fatality. even before the potential pandemic changes to driving habits pedestrian fatalities were up 50% for the decade

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
to get on a soap box for a second, i really do just hate suvs and light pickups and i'm not even much of a pedestrian or bicyclist. as someone who drives a compact 4 door sedan they obstruct my line of sight, shine their headlights directly into my cabin and mirrors, and on the newer models their front grill seems purpose built to ram directly at my seated height in a tbone collision

like setting aside the fact that they kill more pedestrians, pollute more, up the square footage devoted to parking, and generally wreck mayhem in our society, they just make for an unpleasant driving experience for the rest of us motorists

and don't get me started on how overly elevated the beds on most pickups these days are, i worked with an old 2000 tacoma that you could just reach down and snag a hand tool, on the more recent models i've worked with i have to jump up on the tire or the tailgate to get a tool laying flat in the bed

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the biden administration now has an initial headline figure for corrections for historical idr errors, $39 billion

quote:

More than 804,000 federal student loan borrowers are in for a pleasant surprise.

While the Supreme Court scuttled President Biden's efforts at widespread debt forgiveness, these borrowers are about to get an email from the U.S. Department of Education, notifying them that their debts will soon be automatically erased.

The forgiveness is the result of a promise made last year by the Biden administration in response to years of complaints, lawsuits and an NPR investigation that found that many long-time borrowers who should have qualified for loan forgiveness under the rules of the government's income-driven repayment plans (IDR) hadn't received it because of mismanagement by the department and loan servicers.

"For far too long, borrowers fell through the cracks of a broken system that failed to keep accurate track of their progress towards forgiveness," said U.S. Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona in a Friday press release announcing the forgiveness.

The move will erase $39 billion in federal student loan debt.

Borrowers, advocates and journalists have warned for years of these IDR failures.

While IDR rules have long promised a borrower's loan balance will be forgiven after 20 years of payments, a March 2021 report by borrower advocates found that, at the time, 4.4 million borrowers had been repaying their loans for at least 20 years – but only 32 had had debts canceled under IDR.

Why? One huge problem: These IDR plans, meant as a safety net for low-income borrowers, were difficult to enroll in. So loan servicing companies often put financially distressed borrowers into long-term forbearance instead, a process that the companies' call center workers could more easily navigate over the phone. Forbearance may offer a short-term reprieve from payments, but interest continues to accrue.

In April 2022, an NPR investigation, built on unreleased Education Department documents, revealed yet more problems with the department's handling of these IDR plans, including that several loan servicing companies weren't actually tracking borrowers' progress toward forgiveness (which the department knew) and that payment histories were often damaged and incomplete after borrowers were transferred from one servicer to another, a common practice.

In response, the Biden administration pledged last spring to conduct a one-time "account adjustment" for federal student loan borrowers, giving them retroactive credit towards loan forgiveness for months spent in long-term forbearance. Even borrowers who were never in an IDR plan are now receiving or soon will receive retroactive credit toward forgiveness, "regardless of whether payments were partial or late, the type of loan, or the repayment plan," according to the department's release.

This sweeping review of borrower accounts is far from over and will continue into 2024.

Friday's $39 billion adds considerable heft to the Biden administration's previous debt relief efforts, now totaling at least $116 billion, and illustrates how the Education Department can offer targeted relief to vulnerable borrowers even after the Supreme Court's recent rebuke.

on one hand such a big number is still only ~4% of the outstanding aggregate student loan balance, on the other hand i remember a few years back when devos was pushing for borrowers to be hunted for sport

on the other other hand, it's a reminder of how monumentally hosed existing "solutions" to the student loan problem have been for decades

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i can't get over the fact that the mps aren't allowed to actually make sure he gets on the plane home

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
steal your phone at the very least

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Seems like the real dumb part isn’t discharges, it’s that they didn’t buy the escorts tickets as well. This guy’s going on a long rear end flight with lots of koreans, and is famous for being belligerent towards koreans

i'm sure the mps would appreciate the ovetime of multiple international flights (jk, i'm sure the military doesn't pay overtime)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
didn't see this posted yet

chuck grassley releases internal fbi documents about unverified biden bribery allegation

quote:

GOP Sen. Chuck Grassley of Iowa on Thursday released an internal FBI document containing unverified allegations President Joe Biden was involved in an illegal foreign bribery scheme.

The FBI had previously allowed members of the House Oversight Committee to privately view – but not obtain – the unclassified FBI document, known as an FD-1023.

Republicans, including Grassley and House Oversight Chairman James Comer, have been pushing for the FBI to publicly release the document, which the bureau has declined to do. Comer had even threatened to hold FBI Director Christopher Wray in contempt until the two sides reached a last-minute agreement.

Grassley said Thursday he was able to release the document himself because of “legally protected disclosures by Justice Department whistleblowers,” though his move still drew a strong public rebuke from the FBI.

The 1023 form memorializes claims from an FBI informant, but it doesn’t provide proof that the allegations are true. Republicans, though, have seized on the unverified material as part of their broader investigation into the Bidens.

The FBI document indicates that the informant provided the information to federal investigators in June 2020, but was describing meetings and conversations dating back to 2015.

The FBI document says an informant described a 2016 meeting where Mykola Zlochevsky, the CEO of Ukrainian energy company Burisma, claimed that he had made two $5 million payments to “the Bidens,” though he didn’t specify who received the alleged bribes.

“It costs 5 (million) to pay one Biden, and 5 (million) to another Biden,” Zlochevsky told the FBI informant at a 2016 meeting in Vienna, according to the document.

The informant, whom the FBI has described as highly credible was “not able to provide any further opinion as the veracity” of the claims, according to the FBI document.

At the time of the informant’s meeting with Zlochevsky, Hunter Biden was on Burisma’s board, earning $50,000 a month. But there’s no evidence Joe Biden was involved in his son’s work for the Ukrainian energy company or ever received any payments.

The FBI responded to the GOP disclosure with a sharply worded statement, blasting lawmakers for ignoring their “significant concerns” about the dangers of releasing the material.

“We have repeatedly explained to Congress, in correspondence and in briefings, how critical it is to keep this source information confidential. … Today’s release of the 1023 – at a minimum – unnecessarily risks the safety of a confidential source,” the FBI statement said.

House Democrats previously released a transcript of separate private comments by Zlochevsky made to former Rudy Giuliani ally Lev Parnas that contradict the notion that he ever paid Joe Biden.

According to the transcript, which Parnas provided to Congress in January 2020, Zlochevsky stated that “no one from Burisma had any contacts with VP Biden or people working for him” while Hunter Biden was on the board. Zlochevskey also said Joe Biden and his staff had no involvement in the business dealings of his company.

In statements to CNN, Comer accused the Justice Department of “seeking to bury this record to protect the Bidens,” and Grassley thanked the “brave and heroic whistleblowers” for enabling him to publicly disclose the material.

CNN previously reported that the allegations in the 1023 surfaced years ago as Giuliani was sharing information with the Justice Department during the Trump administration. Then-Attorney General Bill Barr tapped former Pittsburgh US Attorney Scott Brady to oversee an FBI investigation into a variety of claims Giuliani provided the department.

White House says claims are ‘debunked’
Shortly after lawmakers viewed the FBI document in a classified setting last month, the FBI wrote Comer about their concerns that some members, by taking notes and discussing what they read publicly, were breaking the agreement that predicated their viewing of the document, according to a letter obtained by CNN.

“The conduct of some Committee Members during the June 8 review flagrantly disregarded our agreement and has the potential to cause grave harm,” the FBI wrote Comer on June 9.

Prior to viewing the document last month, all members viewed a statement from the FBI that read, “While not classified, these materials have significant law enforcement value and sensitivity, and should not be disclosed without authorization, as wider distribution could pose a risk of physical harm to FBI sources or others.”

White House spokesperson Ian Sams said in a statement to CNN, “It is remarkable that congressional Republicans, in their eagerness to go after President Biden regardless of the truth, continue to push claims that have been debunked for years and that they themselves have cautioned to take ‘with a grain of salt’ because they could be ‘made up.’”

Rep. Jamie Raskin of Maryland, the House Oversight Committee’s top Democrat, said: “Releasing this document in isolation from explanatory context is another transparently desperate attempt by Committee Republicans to revive the aging and debunked Giuliani-framed conspiracy theories and to distract from their continuing failure to produce any actual evidence of wrongdoing by the President—even at the cost of endangering the safety of FBI sources.”

Talk of influence peddling
The confidential human source who the FBI has described as highly credible, had only met Zlochevseky in person once, and spoke to Zlochevseky twice by phone, and therefore was “not able to provide any further opinion as the veracity” of the claims provided.

The informant told the FBI the supposed Biden bribes came up during a conversation about how to deal with a Ukrainian investigation into corruption by Burisma. For years, Republicans have falsely accused Joe Biden of abusing his powers to get the top Ukrainian prosecutor fired, so the probe would go away. In reality, his actions were consistent with bipartisan US policy, which sought to remove the prosecutor because he wasn’t doing enough to crack down on corruption. poster's note: this sentence strikes me as having a strangely authoritative tone compared to the rest of the article

The informant also claimed Zlochevsky had texts and 17 audiotapes, two of which included Joe Biden, that showed he was forced to pay the Bidens, according to the documents. A number of Republicans have questioned whether those audio recordings exist – and there’s been no evidence of the recordings to date.

The FBI document sheds new light on how Burisma executives allegedly hoped to leverage Hunter Biden’s position on their board to get benefits from his father while he was vice president.

Zlochevsky and another top Burisma official told the FBI informant that they thought Hunter Biden was unintelligent, but needed to keep him on their board because he could “protect us, through his dad, from all kinds of problems,” according to the FBI document.

if i'm the informant, i'd be sweating as i imagined zlochevesky going through their old appointment calendars to finger the rat. normally i would find it a bit weird that someone would openly complain about their bribes to someone who is essentially a rando, but maybe that's perfectly normal icebreakers for a ukrainian oligarch. i do find it totally believable that the folks running burisma would loudly complain to anyone that would listen how loving dumb hunter biden was.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the judge needs more details on the legal structure? i'm not a lawyer, but nothing about the original plea agreement struck me as some kind of esoteric house of cards. how is it different from the deals that make up like 90% of the courts business?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
larry summers cannot rest until he once again tastes the tears of the common man

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
biden has acknowledged that he has a seventh grandchild, ending one bit of pointless gossip rag drama and setting the stage for the next phase of her life where rightwing talk show hosts call her ugly

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i'm assuming it's the town where the fed hosts the meeting where they decide what the economy will do

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i would pay tens of millions of dollars to live in the shadow of the tits mountains

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/CitizenFreePres/status/1631767251190943744

Somebody's been chatting with his KSA buddies...

I guess he's looking at the increasing rural/urban divide and thinks he can fix that by making conservative cities or w/e. But there aren't any conservative cities, not even in red states.

e: oh no he wants to build them on federal lands. I look forward to vacationing in Groom Lake City, Nevada.

e2: also literal flying cars lmao

isn't this just what china has been doing for the last 20 years, but without rail lines to connect everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

FizFashizzle posted:

This loving guy

https://twitter.com/schwartzbcnbc/status/1691860406979948641?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

That keep grinding mindset, ya know?

Go big or go home?

i find it strangely charming that the guy who only tells lies has a staff made up of massive liars. he knows his type