Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
You don't really need local community anymore. You have access to all movies, shows, music, books, games, information and can contact anyone anywhere at any time. You have a very wide array of entertainment options available. Houses are larger and families smaller so homes are less cramped and you have less incentive to go out for a break. More people have cars and generally a lot more money so when they do go out there are more options and it doesn't have to be in the local community.

Before all that you got bored at home and going out for recreation was a necessity. No one needs to care about their neighbors anymore or join groups just to have something to do. There's always something to do even if it is just mindlessly scrolling a feed.

I appreciate that labor conditions are terrible but they used to be worse. We used to work more hours and housework used to be more time consuming. Yet community groups flourished - because there was literally nothing else to do and nowhere else to go.

More entertainment options means former entertainment options have more competition and fewer people will use them. Much like the rise of online shopping meant a lot of brick and mortar stores closed down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Cimber posted:

FWIW, I joined a fraternal organization (The Freemasons) exactly for what you wrote above. People don't really socialize any more like they used too. Chatting on facebook and discord doesn't count.

I volunteer at two NGOs not because I'm more idealistic or moral than most but specifically and deliberately to get out, meet people and do things. I have sort of come to see it as something I just have to do for my wellbeing like working out...

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

zoux posted:

Maybe the issue is that Supreme Court Justices get too much PTO.

Anyway, deploy the conservative op ed strike force to argue how this is all fine, just fine.

Oh man, if he ever used a teleprompter he's done for.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

When I was like kindergarten age during Dubya and Freedom Fries, one of my friends dads made a point of pouring out french wine into the toilet in front of me bc I still had a french accent back then.

Wonder if there's still people who are sore that France didn't join the invasion and occupation of Iraq.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Former vegan here, people also just really hate vegans.

Vegans, atheists and cyclists piss people off to an entirely irrational degree.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Edit: nvm

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Killer robot posted:

I've been keeping out of the discussion partly for not wanting my posts to get confused with killer_robot's, but I was curious and looked up the CIA document on Soviet prosperity since I wondered how much it tied into chronic Cold War overestimation of Soviet capabilities. It turns out that claim was literally a "The best thing about their economy right now is that people finally have enough to eat and it includes protein" amid the talk of how they're much poorer than Americans and most Europeans.

In any case it's a weak argument. The USSR had massive reserves of oil, gas and coal, vast agricultural lands and pretty much every metal and mineral imagniable. Being able to feed its people is a very low bar to set. I'm sure the caloric intake in Saudi Arabia is perfectly sufficient but that has nothing to do with the economic system or competent leadership. I don't particularly care if the USSR did manage to build an amazing planned economy - it's not a useful guide for anyone else if it relies on petro exports.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Mendrian posted:

I think the idea that pitbulls are somehow angrier than other dogs is a myth but I also am not really sure it matters. OTOH I do think if you banned pitbulls there would be a strange rise in german shepard attacks over the following ten to twenty years.

Possibly. Probably easiest to put the onus on the owner. Require training for owners of dogs over a certain weight limit and muzzles in public. If you fail to keep your dog muzzled or safely contained and it kills or maims someone you are criminally liable.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Mendrian posted:

Right. And deadliness is a trait you can breed for.

I'm just unsure if 'aggressiveness' is a trait you can breed for. I am not a geneticist or a dog breeder, I literally am ignorant of it. It seems obvious to a lot of people but I'm just a bit hazy if you can breed for behavior.

The Silver Fox experiment may interest you.

quote:

Belyaev was correct that selection on tameness alone leads to the emergence of traits in the domestication syndrome. In less than a decade, some of the domesticated foxes had floppy ears and curly tails (Fig. 2). Their stress hormone levels by generation 15 were about half the stress hormone (glucocorticoid) levels of wild foxes. Over generations, their adrenal gland became smaller and smaller. Serotonin levels also increased, producing “happier” animals.

It's a pretty interesting experiment that has been ongoing for 60+ years with some insights into the domestication and selective breeding process.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

New York City has - in the year of our lord 2023 - announced that the city will provide garbage cans and collect garbage from cans instead of just asking people to bag it and put loose bags on the sidewalk/street for collection.

What. The. gently caress. :psyduck:

Edit: yall went to the moon but you still haven't figured out bins in New York of all places. America is equally intriguing, perplexing and terrifying.

Owling Howl fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 21, 2023

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

zoux posted:

Al Gore, the guy who was laser focused on climate change and environmentalism at the critical moment when we could've forestalled warming to a more manageable level probably would have. Not sure why he didn't become president...

Wikipedia has an amusing quote

As to whether he would feel regret if he caused Gore's defeat, Nader replied "I would not—not at all. I'd rather have a provocateur than an anesthetizer in the White House." On another occasion, Nader answered this question with: "No, not at all ... There may be a cold shower for four years that would help the Democratic Party ... It doesn't matter who is in the White House." posted:

Ah yes, no difference at all. But afterwards we got Obama who... well, totally worth it.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
I don't know how responsible Nader is but I strongly disagree with him that it doesn't matter who is in the White House.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Bwee posted:

New Haven clam pizza is really good

The classic clam and pineapple combo is the bomb.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Young Freud posted:

While that story is on the up-and-up, it did tell me how easy it would be for someone in transport to write off "damaged" product and sell it under the table. Maybe even how commonplace this economy is of literally "fell off a truck" merchandise being sold in unclaimed freight and salvage outlets.

I worked at a ferry company where every single year the dock workers would accidentally spill the contents of a beer trailer when the Christmas beers got shipped. Oeps! Very sad.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The most important marker for determining your personal moral worth turns out to be having the most "don't blame me, I voted for ____" bumper stickers

As long as you never voted for a winner, nothing that happened is your fault, total moral purity

It seems the only correct moral stance to take is pacifist isolationism and just ignore anything that happens. Doing anything inevitably makes you responsible. Supporting Israel is supporting genocide. Opposing the Taliban is opposing Afghani civilians. Trading with a murderous regime supports murder. Not trading with them punishes civilians.

People seem mostly diinterested in whatever human misery takes place as long as the US is not in some way involved. Half a million people died in Ethiopia and Sudan last year. Haiti has descended into warlordism and low level civil war. No one cares. When the US was more actively involved in the Yemen war people cared a lot about Yemeni civilians dying but now Yemeni deaths are not interesting anymore.

If the US disengaged from Israel and ignored the conflict people would rapidly care about the Palestinian people as much as they care about the Ethiopian peoples which is to say not at all.The issue isn't death and misery - it's the moral purity of our representatives and doing nothing while people die is the only safe moral stance.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Cimber posted:

This line of argument always annoyed the poo poo out of me. Bernie, as cool of a dude as he is, is not a democrat. He just caucuses with them, but he's not part of the party. Clinton has always been a loyal democrat and she worked hard for years for the party. Of course the party is going to 'put the thumb on the scale ' as you put it for a loyalist.

I always thought it was kinda comical. "Our revolution failed because the establishment didn't fully support us in overthrowing them :(" It's just so weak and impotent.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Morrow posted:

A big contribution to the concern is doctors and prenatal care is very expensive. The majority of births are without complication, naturally, so the appeal of a midwife is that they're someone who can get you through the process without a five figure hospital bill.

To the best of my Google home births have risen from 0.5% to almost 3% in Denmark over the last decade while it's still less than 1.5% in the US. So I think other factors than cost make it appealing to some parents.

Intimacy, naturalness, control, woo etc. And probably some distrust of medical professionals, modern medicine and hospitals. I would suspect middle to upper class white women are over-represented in the category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

This Is the Zodiac posted:

I got dinged for "lack of linguistic precision" and caused a multi-page derail because goons are morons constantly falling for poo poo, so I think I owe the thread the explanation that "death to America" in this context means "a country that allows this to happen and does nothing to stop it is a country that deserves to be violently destroyed," with the implied corollary that the ideal outcome is "no longer being a country that deserves that".

Fair enough but that appear to include all nations and of course other and worse wars are ongoing and most nations are not doing anything about those either so you might as well broaden your scope to humanity generally.