Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Announcement Bin Laden style.

"Ladies and Gentlemen... We've got him.. er.. indicted him."

yes, I know nothing matters, weakest bit of mycrimes.txt he's done, yadda yadda yadda. Let me enjoy this moment,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
We need a topic change.

WARNING, suggestive grave-dancing on pages 76,77, 78...

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
In "You hate to see.. no, you don't hate to see it" news..

The right of right wing are still having a major sad that they didn't get to crater the economy and are trying to flex the muscle that they lacked in the debt ceiling fight in unrelated matters as a result, meaning that the GOP can't even do their performative bullshit "pass bills to culture war the base"

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4037211-conservatives-revolt-against-gop-leaders-on-house-floor/

(5 minute rule vote stretches to 50 as they try to get them to vote Aye on a save the gas stoves bill, but still fails)

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
We need a code upgrade that you can enter multiple titles for a thread, and each time you visit, it shows you one of them.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
This is what happens when you use ChatGPT trained on Ted Cruz's brain to make a anti-democratic party slam.

https://news.yahoo.com/ted-cruz-mercilessly-mocked-bizarre-054803811.html

(oh, wait.. he actually said this?)

“I don’t think Senate Democrats, if you had video of Joe Biden murdering children dressed as the devil under a full moon while singing Pat Benatar, they still wouldn’t vote to convict.”

see. I have some honest questions to go with my laughter that Pat Benatar is apparently considered satanic.

Does this video involve Joe Biden, dressed as the devil, murdering children while singing Pat Benatar?

Or..

Does this video involved Joe Biden murdering children dressed as the devil who are Singing Pat Benatar.

Because I think my impeachment vote would change if the children were dressed as the devil while say, singing "Hit me with your best shot". Clear grounds for provocation.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I won't go into Desantis's latest "San Francisco is full of riff-raff" video, because that's just sad, but I also saw that he's trying to make Massachusetts the base for his Super Tuesday network.

Really, Ron? You're going to rely on the network that is so powerless here in MA, they are in the VAST minority (134-25 in the House, and 36-3 in the senate) to run your Biggest election chance? Especially because Rabid Ronnie's style DOES NOT work well with MA folks in general

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I wish I could wear a CPAP. I have very bad sleep apnea, but my anxiety is such that I can't stand to wear a mask (also I'm a stomach sleeper). You know how they say keeping O2 levels above 95% is the key for restful sleep? I was below NINETY percent 49% of the time.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Space Force?

(no, I'm kidding, Coast Guard)

edit: Going back to the "Fifth Service Academy", since there was a post in between

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Eason the Fifth posted:

Way to go Ohio :unsmith:

"We need to make sure that abortion does not become legal in our state, but 58% of the state thinks it should be legal."

"Well, that's simple, we just make it that they need 60%. Easy!"

(58% of the state votes against the change. because it's a majority vote rule, it fails.)

(shocked pikachu face)

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Kale posted:

That's the most hilarious scenario I've envisioned as well.

Probably can't happen, unless they A) Convince moderate Repubs to vote for their candidate, or B) Convince Gaetz to play into their hands by having his goon squad vote "Present", since you need a majority.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Ok, this seems kinda goofy:

California will hold two Senate elections next November: a special election for the remaining months of Feinstein’s term until January 2025 and another for a full six-year term

That's kinda goofy,

The primary for the special election (who would fill the seat for the final five-six weeks or so of Feinstein's Senate term November 2024-January 2025) and the regular election (For 2025-Jan 31) will happen at the same time, and then in November, the top two vote getters from the primary (who likely will be the same people in the special as the regular, I don't think there's going to be someone running for a six week job) will face off in two elections on the same day again to see who gets the last weeks of Feinstein's term and then a full six year term.

I guess it's because the Senate has a fixed term of six years, (and that they have to have a special election at SOME point) that they do it, but man, it seems like duplication of effort.

edit: Actually, this raises questions. Can people donate 2x the limit, because it's technically two separate elections? So say $2,800 for the special election, and $2,800 for the regular election? And to get signatures on the ballot, do you have to have to meet the criteria for each election separately? (IE, if you need 5,000 Signatures, do you have to either have 5,000 people sign twice, or do they have to be 5,000 different people each time?)

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 2, 2023

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Re: The attack on Israel.

Let's be honest, as much as some folks here would like us to do nothing more with Israel over the Palestinian issue, what's happened this week will mean it's at LEAST a decade before any folks not already convinced that Israel are in the wrong will budge even an inch towards separating the two. The goal of the Palestinians to actually fight Israel's encroachment got set back years, if not decades. I'm sure Hamas feel like they've "Struck a gigantic blow against the opressors", but really, it's the equivalent of seeing a land mine, and determining it's a great idea to jump and down on it, then wondering why it exploded.

So, if you were looking towards pushing the BDS of Israel into the more-mainstream parts of society, well, I wouldn't hold my breath.

And as for Biden's statement on taxes, we really need to just scrap the tax code entirely. There's just too many exemptions (capital gains, death taxes), loopholes (moving funds overseas to avoid being taxed), and just plain shenanigans. How about a new law that states you can't pay less then the minimum tax rate on ALL reported profit. So, some business reports 2.5 Billion in profit to stockholders? Fine, we''ll take that 2.5 billion as a MINIMUM to figure out a corp's tax burden (so if it's a 22% tax rate, then 22% of 2.5 billion, or what, $500million roughly?)

They need to burn it all down root and tree and rebuild it

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Can anyone explain to me how suspension bills work? Saw this Tweet (will NOT call it X) that talks about 15 day extensions (of the CR, I assume?) allowing them to discuss Ukraine/Israel aid and continuing to work on FY '24 bills, in return for 50% of suspension bills.

https://twitter.com/sarahnferris/status/1712918091254866011

Honestly, if it's going to be a long fight for the Speaker role while they try to go Night of the Long Knives against each other, it might be in their best interest to keep things going.

edit Ah, it's a procedural thing that allows stuff to pass on a two thirds majority (instead of half) that the House Speaker gets to schedule votes on. So this would allow Dems to get bills through that only the crazy caucus (the craziest part of the crazy caucus) would vote against, but due to them having blocking power in the GOP, wouldn't be scheduled for a vote otherwise. I tend to like it, further marginalizes the crazies, who will then fight harder as they see their leverage slip away as government actually works

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 13, 2023

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Now that I look at it again, that might mean just 15 days of agreeing to do business in the House (not the CR), because the crazies will try to vacate the Speaker Pro Tem if he does any of this stuff.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Thinking about it. if the normal business of the house is dialing up the crazy one notch and looking to the mob to see if they support more crazy/have had enough crazy (they never have had enough crazy, always more, always worse), this is some folks going "Let's maybe turn that crank BACK a bit, while the crazies have attached a power drill to the crazy notch and are spinning it upwards at about 10,000 RPM.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
https://bocanewsnow.com/2023/10/13/republican-activist-steven-alembik-shoots-wife-kills-self-at-delray-beach-burgerfi/

Republican Activist (and major donor to many candidates including DeSantis who formerly called Obama the (F-Bomb) MUSLIM (N-Word) shoots wife twice (she is in critical condition), then commits suicide, and because Laura Loomer can't resist a chance to make a bad situation worse,, provides an eulogy that yeah, is kinda uncomfortable

Laura Loomer, the failed Boca Raton Congressional Candidate — and extreme right-wing activist, remembered Alembik this way on X, formerly known as Twitter: “Sadly, those of us who knew Steve understood that he struggled with his mental health at times, which he ultimately succumbed to when he died this week, but he always put on a smile for those around him and never complained.”

Never complained. Put a smile for those around him. (Looks again at final moments). Yikes.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Kale posted:

Still didnt expect him to be choice #1 over good ol' boy Steve "David Duke without the baggage" Scalise. Really shows you again how much the party is just Trumps absolute bitch now.

Scalise beat him in the first round, but couldn't get past 217. Jordan is already 60+ votes short, with 50+ people indicating they won't support him on the floor.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Well now, this is sure one way to win friends and voters. Say your guy is going to get in because moderates "Don't have a spine". https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1712981083250209269

Now, normally, I'd agree with them, but really, this attitude is not going to win him any friends and/or votes.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
The end game is chaos.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Too much shrinkage chat. Not enough gloating at LOL Republicans.

But I would love it if they actually started duking it out in conference. Maybe we could sell tickets, as a way to lower the national debt, of course. (as long as we get to privatize the popcorn rights!)

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Gym Jordan: "Please Stop Eating My face"

Face-Eating Leopards: "No."

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1715123897782141270

edit: Also funny... someone took a photo of his notes and scrawled on it Joker-style is "WHAT IS THE REAL REASON?"

edit 2: This was Jordan's meeting today with the No votes, seeing if there was a way to get to yes. Apparently, there isn't. Yet.

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 19, 2023

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Gyges posted:

Can't wait for the House Investigation into who gave the moderates a spine.

https://twitter.com/AnnieGrayerCNN/status/1715120530016158118

that handwriting and note taking should be enough for a 48 hour psychiatric hold. I kid.. wouldn't wish that on anyone other than those truly needing help.

But yeah, it looks like something that the Joker or the Riddler would scrawl on the wall after committing his latest criminal scheme. "WHAT IS THE REAL REASON, BATS?"

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
And they'll get a chance to tell him No again tomorrow. By Albert Einstein's saying, I guess we have another reason to say the GOP is insane. "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1715140393858134022

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
So, what is the new new new new plan? (did I put enough "new" in there? Never mind Plan A (McCarthy), Plan B(Scalise), Plan C(Jim Jordan) We're on what, Plan G? H, with a trip back to Plan C?

I've seen reports that there is going to be a vote-a-rama this Weekend until there is a Speaker, hoping that one side or the other just tires of all the votes..

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
It's the Humiliation Conga!

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Now that it's all over, it's amazing how badly the Jordan side handled things

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1715363245123400085?s=20

"I'm sorry to hear that the face-eating Leopards are trying to eat your face. Obviously, it has nothing to do with the fact we gave the face-eating leopards your picture and told them to eat your face unless you voted for me. Clearly."

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Warhol had it slightly wrong.

In the future, everybody will be the GOP Candidate for Speaker for 15 minutes.

Or, for our trad games fans: "In the grim dorkness of the far pressent, there is no peace, only GOP Speaker Votes"

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Looks like they're trying to make Tuberville drop his universal hold on military promotions (to protest abortion policy), but all they're doing is farce. Looks like there's going to be 376 votes on promotions, asking for unanimous consent, forcing Tuberville to object three hundred seventy six times.

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/1719864437782249669

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
57 Dems either voted no, Present, or Did not vote, 155 voted to expel.

Don't understand the no voters, present voters, or did not vote folks. I get you want to hang Santos around the Republicans heads like a millstone, but I think that it'd actually be better served to get him out and then point to the fact that he was expelled.

As it was, the vote would not have passed anyway (it would have had a majority if the 57 voted yes, but it requires 2/3'ds)

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Santorum is having a big sad on Nerwsmax saying "Democracy is no way to run things" and being mad that Dems put abortion and weed on the Ohio ballot, as they are "Very sexy things"

https://twitter.com/KailiJoy/status/1722092778266546587

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
And all it really does is harden opinion against their side. Like the "Just Stop Oil" idiots and throwing soup on paintings. To steal a line from Shakespeare, it's "sound and fury, signifying nothing". It allows people to feel good that they're "bringing attention to the issue", when all it really is is self-important dick-waggling

Right now, the news is filled with attacks on people for supporting Israel (even such humanitarian things as attacking someone at a prayer for the hostages whose fates are still unknown). This kind of performative bullshit only gets the yellers and their cause classed in with real anti-semites.

If it makes them feel good, sure. whatever, do whatever you want, but as to winning people to their cause? Not a loving chance, and they should be smart enough to know better.

(Personally, I think that the better play is to beg, borrow and steal any bit of airtime to show the atrocities. You gotta win hearts and minds if you want anything to change, and yelling at someone eating dinner isn't gonna do that)

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Get that woman on TV, telling her story, and it'll have a better effect. This does nothing to advantage her cause.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
This Biden video and statement should be played on repeat as we get close to next year's election. Remind the voters every day that if the Repubs were ever the party of ARE TROOPS, they sure as hell aren't now.

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1723468898668822864

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
LaVar Burton (Mr. Reading Rainbow himself) had I think the final kill shot on dunking on Moms for Liberty's performance in the recent elections, while presenting at the National Book Awards:

https://twitter.com/PublishersWkly/status/1724957754589061500

"Before we get going, are there any Moms for Liberty in the house? No? Good. then hands will not need to be thrown tonight."

Maybe I'm strange, even for a wrestling fan, but something about the mental image of Geordi LaForge doing the Braun Strowman "Moms for Liberty are GOING TO CATCH! THESE! HANDS!" tickled my funny bone.

Then again, my best line was "The next book Moms for Liberty want banned from reading is the ones that show the 2023 school board result"

Note: LaVar Burton is one of the few living celebrities that I am relatively confident will never get milkshake duck'd. And it's so heartening to see all the folks who are mad about it online cry "Figures he's a libtard".

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

420 Gank Mid posted:

Technically coming down on any one side of a dispute will lose you the support of people on the other side yes

The point here is that there are way way more people who do not support Israel's genocide than there are people that do support it. Especially among the traditional voter base of the democratic party, but even in the country at large.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/nov/15/poll-us-israel-support-hamas-war

Simply not true.

https://twitter.com/ArmandDoma/status/1726370025098137671

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Car Explosion at the Rainbow Bridge crossing between USA and Canada:

https://twitter.com/news4buffalo/status/1727394555987935724

I'm kinda worried that it ties into current events in the I/P area.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Based on the fact that vehicles don't explode on their own (which this sounds like) and The timing of it (the vehicle was entering the toll booth trying to make it to the US) makes this sound like a car bomb attempt. And what area in the world would trigger car bombing (note: Not ruling out either side or "false flag" attempts, but this seems aimed at that)

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/22/us/niagara-falls-rainbow-bridge/index.html

A vehicle was trying to enter the US side of the border, according to a spokesperson for the Niagara Falls mayor’s office.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Timmy Age 6 posted:

There's been a fair amount of reporting that the US has been deeply involved in various negotiations - it just isn't the sort of news that tends to get posted in the threads here.

Politico had a long bit about it in their story on it: (would copy, but it's a large bloc)

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/11/21/we-need-this-deal-how-the-us-brokered-the-israel-hamas-hostage-agreement-00128408

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I see Lake and Loomer and all the rest of Y'all-Qeda are yelling "this is the danger of an open border!"

Like um, they were caught AT the border. It did it's job.

Just galaxy-brained logic at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Foxfire_ posted:

ABC news says it was being pulled aside into secondary screening, then the driver tried to take off, then the car exploded. Doesn't sound like the checkpoint was the intended target, they were getting caught and suicided early

Yeah, catching up on same site, they are saying they had their licenses/passports checked, and diverted to a secondary search area due to concerns, at which point the vehicle took off at "Full Speed" and crashed into/exploded into the secondary area. two inside vehicle dead, at least one border guard injured.

edit: It may not be a terror attack, they're backtracking on that, saying now it could be different things (criminal activity), but they're not ruling anything in or out. They ARE saying that as of now, no evidence of it being terror-related. Good to hear. Hoping that this means things aren't going to escalate.

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 22, 2023