Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/AlKapDC/status/1651295037697687575

I was surprised this didn't get more ink, but the AZ lege actually removed a Qanon rep because she invited some crazy lady to testify for a loving hour at a committee hearing, accusing pretty much every state official of taking bribes from the Sinaloa Carte.

https://twitter.com/RoKhanna/status/1651571775031980032

The "It doesn't matter if DiFi resigns because the GOP wouldn't let them replace her on Judiciary anyway" talking point dies.

Isnít this just going to be vetoed along with all the other dumb poo poo republicans try to use the Congressional Review Act to do?

Donít get my wrong I think Feinstein should resign immediately and stop holding up judicial appointments (aka the one useful thing this congress is likely to do other than routine appropriations and reauthorizationsóassuming they can manage those!). But letís not be hysterical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Comstar posted:

News wires are reporting the US Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) is preparing to place First Republic Bank under receivership.

I recall reading multiple articles stating with clear facts that no further banks would be in danger and First Republic Bank specifically would be fully supported and have no further issues.

If you have money in that bank, get out. Get Out Now.

Youíre a huge dumbass. Why are you contributing to a panic? Are you aware of what the FDIC does?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Comstar posted:

Wow, SomethingAwful still has that much power? I'm impressed.

But seriously, there won't be a bank panic because of individuals with money in it. It will be a bank panic by the rich and powerful who pull their money out first because they already know it's doomed.

Why on earth would you keep any money in a failing business? Granted it's not like a Corporate Gift Card that's going to be useless after a collapse, but moving banks should be straight forward.

And the amount of people defending it is weird.

Others have already pointed out that you donít seem to know the difference between a deposit and equity, so thatís covered. But Iíd also like to add that SVB literally failed because of morons panicking on the internet.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Talk about generations is highly imprecise and a little arbitrary, but itís hardly comparable to astrology. Cohort effects are real and measurable. Generations are just bundles of cohorts that are close in time. Thatís it.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

sweek0 posted:

I don't mean to pick on you here but I think this is such an interesting phrase. As a European with a keen interest in American politics, I feel like this just hasn't really made sense for a long while. The current Democratic Party is really not all that different from any of the big European center left parties like Labour (UK), SPD (DE), or the Scandinavian parties. Looking at the left wing wave in South America I also don't see anyone actually enacting any policies anywhere near as progressive as what progressives/lefties on forums like this are looking for.

Shhhhhhhh you canít say that here. Itís a matter of orthodoxy that the Democrats are Right Wing in Europe.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

the_steve posted:

That's how they get you though.
You can't vote FOR the person you actually want because you have to vote AGAINST the Greater Evil.

And there is ALWAYS a new "Greater Evil," so the cycle never ends.

Yeah itís almost like politics is the art of the possible and Utopianism has historically produced nightmarish results.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Kevin McCarthy is a moron and this is very entertaining, but I suspect that in the end it wonít be good for anyone.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

I do agree with Democrats doing what theyíre doing, though. The ďbad thingĒ is not whatís happening today, but rather the GOP having a majority in this chamber at all. This type of chaos, and the worse chaos that will probably follow, became virtually guaranteed at that point. Thereís no saving McCarthy from the nut jobs in the house majority now, so we might as well be rid of him.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Kale posted:

I hear McCarthy is in the process of getting owned. At least the funding is there for the rank and file civil servants cause this congress is effectively over 10 months in.

I mean, until mid November I guess. Looks like a thanksgiving shutdown to me!

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

What happens when they can't agree on a new speaker? Did they just defacto shut down the government because nothing can happen without a speaker?

It is believed that the House cannot conduct legislative business without a speaker. Thus, it would be impossible to pass appropriations bills or another continuing resolution.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

That makes sense. Video-on-its-own is not evidence because it could be altered, but it acts to enhance witness testimony that they are not mistaken or remembering incorrectly.

Itís not that video isnít evidence. Itís just that you need to present a foundation for documentary evidence. Someone with personal knowledge who can say what the document is and how it was made.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

projection is a hell of a thing.

anyway.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1724536617547780605

GOP coolzone is about to go critical.

Was it in question that house Dems would go for this? I mean, why wouldnít they pass a clean CR?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Yeah it turns out that electioneering and propaganda are actually totally different things. Anyone equating them to try and make a ďbut Amerikkka badĒ point is showing his rear end, imo.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Itís weird how none of the lefty slogans apparently mean what they say.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

The gun movement is actually the weakest it's been in decades; NRA's in a slow process of collapse and public opinion has turned pretty heavily on the issue. If the House weren't completely busted right now, it'd be a pretty effective wedge issue going into 2024. The illusion of futility is part of the rhetorical playbook that the group uses to push against advocacy on the topic.

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times. The naive ahistoricism of the position is the point- it's an argument designed to sabotage other discussion. By insisting that we re-entertain and re-explain the most basic principles of ethics and government, the user can repeatedly change the scope and specific subject and continue to assert control of the conversation, demanding a shifting series of explanations and caveats.

This is exactly right and the mods are huge loving cowards.

Thereís no point in posting seriously in D&D anymore, itís a silly place.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Freakazoid_ posted:

Something people aren't aware of is the government could just set price caps on things.

Would be nice to have some rent control.

Oh gee wiz just regulate prices huh? I wonder why nobody ever thought of that before?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

There is no reason to debate the relative quality of proposed flags when the state of Maryland has now and forever settled the question of what the best flag design is.

Just don't ask about the meaning of the red and white parts.

Or why the red and white part is supposed to be replicated on top of the flagpole.

You have ruined my day.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

I had no idea Fetterman owned this much.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Scolding is what you do with intransigent children. So Iím pro vote scolding.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

I hate to tell you this guys but when I was in Europe last month I discovered that nobody is using chip and PIN anymore. 90% of transactions are using those touchless sensors all cards have now. No PIN needed.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

And if you donít believe that violent authoritarianism is popular among very online young men with chips the size of Ohio on their shoulders, C-SPAM is right there. See for yourself.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

small butter posted:

Help me understand this. Why shouldn't the US attack belligerents who are attacking civilian ships and putting people's lives at risk? I'm not talking about the argument of getting Congressional approval, just the merits of attacking an aggressor to hamper their ability to launch these strikes. How do you stop them otherwise? Or do you just let them continue? Didn't the US keep issuing warnings for months now?

Well, youíre not looking at it with the right perspective. If you read more theory and really understand the historical dialectic to unpack all the contradictions underpinning the system of social relations in the capitalist west, youíll see that, actually, the right choice in any foreign policy decision is the one that the U.S. did not make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Ms Adequate posted:

Comedy ruling: Natural-born means those who were pushed out of their momma. If you were delivered via c-section, tough titties.

Despair thy charm! The Donald was (not) from his motherís womb untimely ripped!