Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Why the gently caress are they rebooting Fish Police? It wasn't even popular to begin with!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Haschel Cedricson posted:

"WE GOT WEIGHTS IN FISH!" followed by the immediate uproar of the crowd was pure art. Definitely the second-best example that month of people cheating in competitions by stuffing things inside.

This is exactly how trump and Kari lake imagined themselves busting Biden and the cheatin Dems when they broke open the ballot boxes for inspection

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
There was an online article several years ago that went into extensive detail about the cheating and corruption in professional sport fishing. It was over an hour to read the whole thing.

It was mostly focused on southern California tournaments, because that is where the author lived. Holy Moses though, the insane amount of cheating, and all the methods used were just phenomenal to read about.

One that stands out in memory was a person that had an aquarium in their garage to raise big fat overfed fish. They'd then smuggle said fish onto their boat at the start of the tournament, with hidden live-wells and such. And yes, the boats are all inspected by officials before launch at the start of tournaments.

Person would wait for a while, hook the fish up, chuck it in the water and then reel it back in. "Wow look at this monstrous fish I just caught!"

That guy's downfall, or one of the cheaters was that he left his garage door open one day, and a neighborhood kid came by and saw the fish tank. The kid mentioned it later to his parents. Parents politely asked about it at one point and the whole scam unspooled from there.

And that was "tip of the iceberg" stuff.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Internetjack posted:

There was an online article several years ago that went into extensive detail about the cheating and corruption in professional sport fishing. It was over an hour to read the whole thing.

It was mostly focused on southern California tournaments, because that is where the author lived. Holy Moses though, the insane amount of cheating, and all the methods used were just phenomenal to read about.

One that stands out in memory was a person that had an aquarium in their garage to raise big fat overfed fish. They'd then smuggle said fish onto their boat at the start of the tournament, with hidden live-wells and such. And yes, the boats are all inspected by officials before launch at the start of tournaments.

Person would wait for a while, hook the fish up, chuck it in the water and then reel it back in. "Wow look at this monstrous fish I just caught!"

That guy's downfall, or one of the cheaters was that he left his garage door open one day, and a neighborhood kid came by and saw the fish tank. The kid mentioned it later to his parents. Parents politely asked about it at one point and the whole scam unspooled from there.

lol i think i actually read this article as well. it may have been posted here at some point? it was honestly crazy to read, this whole other world that i barely know exists where the stakes are so high and everything is so serious and it's about fishing tournaments lmao

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Imagine building a whole scheme with smuggling compartments in a boat & sneaky garage equipment and then using it for cheating at angling competitions rather than drugs trafficking.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol i think i actually read this article as well. it may have been posted here at some point? it was honestly crazy to read, this whole other world that i barely know exists where the stakes are so high and everything is so serious and it's about fishing tournaments lmao

lol yeah I read that too, it's like drug dealing but millions of dollars worth of fishing paraphernalia and payouts for fish weights

really sends home the MC's reaction when he yells, "WE GOT WEIGHTS IN FISH :mad:"

just completely destroying a sport, like finding out a team has been cheating ballasts and inspections in motorsport for multiple championships or something, but it's fishing lmao

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

I think it was on here that I read it, or the link. And it was a very surreal article to read, like you say, a whole world of weirdness you never knew about.

I get it, the why they cheat. "How hard can it be to scam a fishing competition for $20k - $30k purse?" But dang, you are talking fines, jail time, banned from fishing and hunting licenses for years/life.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Internetjack posted:

This is pathetic and sad on a whole other level. But goes to show how obsessed people are when it comes to being the best at anything by hook or crook.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Maybe it just makes the fish's liver more delicious

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Internetjack posted:

I think it was on here that I read it, or the link. And it was a very surreal article to read, like you say, a whole world of weirdness you never knew about.

I get it, the why they cheat. "How hard can it be to scam a fishing competition for $20k - $30k purse?" But dang, you are talking fines, jail time, banned from fishing and hunting licenses for years/life.

yeah and the fishing thing is what really sends it home, you're cheating hunting licenses and that's not something game authorities take lightly. I guess it kinda indicates you might be a poacher as well, at that point, from the comments I read on the youtube videos I watched about these guys because of this thread.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Internetjack posted:

The funniest part about this is that it’s seemingly dead-simple to get away with it one time and just walk away with $20k, but these dudes are addicted to easy money which is how they always get caught.

You could easily scam your way through one tournament, claim it’s dumb luck and no competitor, judge or law enforcement person would ever give it a second thought

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Internetjack posted:

This was all about one guy. The thing is, people always suspected that he cheated but could never prove it. He started out by winning prizes by catching the record fish for several lakes, but most were suspicious then too.

His whole thing was he knew how to find big spawning bass in shallow water on this certain lake. He would catch them by snag fishing, then contrive to present them as fish he caught at a tour or for a lake record. Again, people always suspected him.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Mulaney Power Move posted:

This was all about one guy. The thing is, people always suspected that he cheated but could never prove it. He started out by winning prizes by catching the record fish for several lakes, but most were suspicious then too.

His whole thing was he knew how to find big spawning bass in shallow water on this certain lake. He would catch them by snag fishing, then contrive to present them as fish he caught at a tour or for a lake record. Again, people always suspected him.

That sounds 100% correct. A guy routinely catching fish bigger than anything that had been caught in a given lake.

Pretty sure there were a few other cases too. I tried a quick google but that resulted in dozens of "cheating at fishing" returns.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

oh yeaaaaaaah, the fact that he was a "snagger" (lmfao) brought it all baxck. this was the guy, mike long

https://www.themeateater.com/fish/bass/big-bass-legend-mike-long-exposed-as-a-snagger-cheater-and-thug
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...ish-airrus-rods

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I feel like hunting crime generally comes down to cheating weight to poach, cuz I've heard of that plenty in NM, just not the money involved in fishing competitions

lmao

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Private Cumshoe posted:

Maybe it just makes the fish's liver more delicious

They must be fitting weights to love your liver

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I've been asked not to return to the fishing and angling battles

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Thinking to change my name to WE GOT WEIGHTS IN FISH

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
for 20k+ a pop i guess doing fish crime is probably easier and less dangerous than getting into selling drugs or other high risk high reward schemes, like i bet some scary guy with a shotgun not gonna show up with his crew in some elaborate disguise and rob you of all your fish and fish money (everything I know about selling drugs i learned from The Wire)

naem
May 29, 2011

i’m any the point of fishing to relax?

competitive fishing is like competitive couch napping, like, heeyyy look how comfy I am

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
But how can you relax without gamifying your activity?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nooner posted:

for 20k+ a pop i guess doing fish crime is probably easier and less dangerous than getting into selling drugs or other high risk high reward schemes, like i bet some scary guy with a shotgun not gonna show up with his crew in some elaborate disguise and rob you of all your fish and fish money (everything I know about selling drugs i learned from The Wire)

A The Wire'esq show about fishing crimes would certainly be a thing.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Nooner posted:

it's more dangerous than you think, you could end up sleeping with the fishes

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Internetjack posted:

Back when my folks had a lovely little lake house they rented out to hunters and fisherman, I know some of the local tourneys had some officials swing by where they knew participants were staying just to see if they could see anything suspicious.

Had to drive 20 miles out to the house twice to unlock the cellar and freezer chest when I was in college so the official could poke around. After that, we just kept poo poo unlocked.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

it's more dangerous than you think, you could end up sleeping with the fishes

:dadjoke:

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

FYI for those who don't know: snagging is generally illegal. You use big treble hooks (the ones with three prongs like a grappling hook) and you need to sight the fish. Then you are just trying to snag it. When bass spawn they guard the nest which in many cases might be in shallow water. This guy would just throw hooks at their faces while they guarded the nest until he snagged them. There's a little skill involved but it's not considered "fair"

naem
May 29, 2011

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
There are two types of fish people:

The type who go fishing as an excuse to drink 8 beers on the lake in the middle of the afternoon

The type who stuff a box of Gorton's into a big mouth billy to win $20,000

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

The video of them getting caught sounded like a riot was about to break out

E: skip to 14:37 unless you want to watch the whole weigh in
https://youtu.be/mdsVAu5iDzc

Karma Comedian fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 29, 2023

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You're forgetting the 3rd kind of fish people that have the innsmouth look

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I have taken fishing too seriously at times. When I moved to NC I had a hard time getting used to fishing these big reservoirs. Really hard to find a good spot from the shore if you don't know the area. Less access to smaller bodies of water like all the canals and ponds I was used to in FL. Eventually I got a kayak and being able to get on the water made a huge difference. I'd use topographic maps to plan where I would fish and never spend 20 mins in one spot if nothing was happening. Percentage fishing.

Anyway I'd also bring my fishing gear camping or whatever in case I wanted to fish, but this wasn't supposed to be serious fishing. Just fishing on the side. So in these instances, sometimes a friend who doesn't really fish would catch a decent bass with like a fisher price rod and a hot dog. I would get mad. Like, you fucker, you don't even know what you're doing.

Once we rented a jon boat and we were having a terrible day so my friend just started screwing around. He started trolling around in donuts with a crankbait and the fucker catches a 3lb bass. I told him I hated him. And I meant it.

Another time I was just fishing casually on a camping trip and some others joined me. We were in grad school and someone invited some new professors. I forget her name, but this professor was watching us and after a while said something like "you don't really know what you're doing" because we weren't catching anything and I snapped and told her to gently caress off.

I swear I am not normally like this. It's only fishing. I know some who are the same with like golf or even friggin cornhole.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

I swear I am not normally like this. It's only fishing. I know some who are the same with like golf or even friggin cornhole.

Much like fishing, golf is also just an excuse to tell your wife you're doing sports and then go drink 8 beers before noon on a Sunday

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I thought food banks only took canned food or cash donations because it takes time for them to distribute stuff. I didn’t know they were taking donations of the stuff famous for going bad quicker than anything else

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Your rod-rage is a symptom of your underlying feelings of inadequacy. It's OK. People love you. They don't need a large, muddy-tasting carp to prove your worth. You don't need to feed them with your catch. Your genitals are appropriately sized.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I thought food banks only took canned food or cash donations because it takes time for them to distribute stuff. I didn’t know they were taking donations of the stuff famous for going bad quicker than anything else

Some do fresh food and provide cooked meals for the homeless and struggling.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Karma Comedian posted:

The video of them getting caught sounded like a riot was about to break out

E: skip to 14:37 unless you want to watch the whole weigh in
https://youtu.be/mdsVAu5iDzc

Yeah you can tell they were just waiting to finally bust this guy

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Nah if you have rod rage you're just a bad person, you should give up your beers & pole and join a hermitage to find gods forgiveness

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

A regional food bank will take in road kill. Deer hit by a car, dead, and called in right away. They contract some crazy outfit that has a truck and trailer that is a fully sanctioned and qualified butcher trailer. They go out on a call, check the temperature and condition of the carcass, and if its all good they butcher it right there on the side of the road in the back of the trailer. Backstraps and all the best pieces get harvested. They dispose of the rest and throw it in an incinerator later on. They take the meat, now refrigerated, to a local food bank. This operation provides something like 1000-2000 lbs of venison to the food shelters each year.

It sounds bizarrely weird at first glance. If you consider it though, its no worse than a hunter that shoots a deer, guts it, and drags it a mile or two out of the wilderness, takes it home or to a butchers to finish it; which is all a matter of hours or even a day or two.

Fish on the other hand get gutted, cleaned, cooked, canned, smoked, eaten, whatever, all within a 24 hour window at most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

This also makes me think of Roland Martin. He's famous in the bass fishing world. Won a ton of tournaments. He's from Florida and most closely associated with Lake Okeechobee. He has a marina in Clewiston.

He had (or maybe still has) a fishing show where he was notorious for saying fish he was catching weighed way more than they looked. Like several ten pound bass in a single trip. It was absurd. He also hawked gimmick products like the helicopter lure. Basically just a plastic spinning lure.

People hated him. He's a dick to everyone. Boats aggressive and recklessly. He even refused to take a dying kid fishing for his Make a Wish.