Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Saltpowered posted:

The article really downplays the extent of the crimes and ton of the crowd because they were only caught in this one circumstances. These guys have won millions over the last decade in finishing competitions with unusually large fish for the area. It’s suspected that they cheated on most of those competitions.

This was a massive and blatant scam they were running.

I don't know if cooking shows have lied to me but isn't it really easy to tell if a fish has been frozen or dead for awhile?

Seems like something you'd catch pretty easily eventually if these guys had been suspected for years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Internetjack posted:

One that stands out in memory was a person that had an aquarium in their garage to raise big fat overfed fish. They'd then smuggle said fish onto their boat at the start of the tournament, with hidden live-wells and such. And yes, the boats are all inspected by officials before launch at the start of tournaments.

Back when my folks had a lovely little lake house they rented out to hunters and fisherman, I know some of the local tourneys had some officials swing by where they knew participants were staying just to see if they could see anything suspicious.

Had to drive 20 miles out to the house twice to unlock the cellar and freezer chest when I was in college so the official could poke around. After that, we just kept poo poo unlocked.