Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

as an avid fish competition (?) follower, let me say i'm shocked and dismayed that my hero's are cheats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Internetjack posted:

There was an online article several years ago that went into extensive detail about the cheating and corruption in professional sport fishing. It was over an hour to read the whole thing.

It was mostly focused on southern California tournaments, because that is where the author lived. Holy Moses though, the insane amount of cheating, and all the methods used were just phenomenal to read about.

One that stands out in memory was a person that had an aquarium in their garage to raise big fat overfed fish. They'd then smuggle said fish onto their boat at the start of the tournament, with hidden live-wells and such. And yes, the boats are all inspected by officials before launch at the start of tournaments.

Person would wait for a while, hook the fish up, chuck it in the water and then reel it back in. "Wow look at this monstrous fish I just caught!"

That guy's downfall, or one of the cheaters was that he left his garage door open one day, and a neighborhood kid came by and saw the fish tank. The kid mentioned it later to his parents. Parents politely asked about it at one point and the whole scam unspooled from there.

And that was "tip of the iceberg" stuff.

lol i think i actually read this article as well. it may have been posted here at some point? it was honestly crazy to read, this whole other world that i barely know exists where the stakes are so high and everything is so serious and it's about fishing tournaments lmao

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Mulaney Power Move posted:

This was all about one guy. The thing is, people always suspected that he cheated but could never prove it. He started out by winning prizes by catching the record fish for several lakes, but most were suspicious then too.

His whole thing was he knew how to find big spawning bass in shallow water on this certain lake. He would catch them by snag fishing, then contrive to present them as fish he caught at a tour or for a lake record. Again, people always suspected him.

oh yeaaaaaaah, the fact that he was a "snagger" (lmfao) brought it all baxck. this was the guy, mike long

https://www.themeateater.com/fish/bass/big-bass-legend-mike-long-exposed-as-a-snagger-cheater-and-thug
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...ish-airrus-rods

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Konar posted:

WE GOT

WEIGHTS

IN FISH

😡😡😡

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

sexy sonic av guy (last remaining?) is absolutely fuming reading this therad. frothing at the mouth, face red, malding, etc. banging their fist on the table while reading in their head, shaking their head and muttering, and so on and so forth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

mad as hell that other people catch fish m,eanwhile they are completely incapable despite many attempsd/"experience"