Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I love chips and dip. I can make a whole meal out of different combos of chips and dips. My favorite is lays cheddar and sour cream with a good fruit salsa. I also love the classic tortilla chips and spinach/knorr dip (gotta have the water chestnuts or it's not authentic)

There are so many different combos of chip and dip, the possibilities are endless!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

If you like French onion dip it's worth the effort to buy the soup packet and make it yourself with a tub of sour cream instead of just buying a tub of French onion dip.

The instructions are on the back of the Lipton French onion soup packet but it's literally just empty packet into tub of sour cream, stir, let it sit in the fridge for a hour or so to hydrate the soup powder.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 28, 2023

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I like dipping Hawaiian bread in "dill dip"

also the classic wavy lays + french onion dip. thas good poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn8KfYOOEuc

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Wendigee posted:

If you like French onion dip it's worth the effort to buy the soup packet and make it yourself with a tub of sour cream instead of just buying a tub of French onion dip.

The instructions are on the back of the Lipton French onion soup packet but it's literally just empty packet into tub of sour cream, stir, let it sit in the fridge for a hour or so to hydrate the soup powder.

Pro tip: plus up your onion dip by doing 2/3rd’s sour cream to 1/3rd mayo.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Anyone else ever just dip some thick cut potato chips into melted butter?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

:chloe:

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

french onion dip is the loving best

also have eaten chips and salsa as a meal many times (either homemade with really good summer tomatoes or Mateo's lately)

and motherfucking taco dipppppp!! my favorite thing to bring to a party. I do it on a half sheet pan

buffalo chicken dip is top tier

as is hot spinach and artichoke dip (both those are great in one of those mini crockpots for sports watching)

so many good dips!

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Anonymous Robot posted:

I question this.... Sour cream is really good. Mayo is... Fine on a sandwich if it's dry I guess.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

kings hawaiian bread w/ the middle scooped out and filled with artichoke dip

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

plain ruffles, french onion dip. close thread

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

i say swears online posted:

S tier for sure

Oh man I just remembered my grandma used to make this creamy dill cucumber dip that was really good with just plain lays. I bet my mom has the recipe.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Wendigee posted:

I question this.... Sour cream is really good. Mayo is... Fine on a sandwich if it's dry I guess.

Give it a try! Lends additional umami that sour cream alone doesn’t and makes a more complex tang.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Mayhaps. I still recommend buying Lipton French onion soup mix and using a spoon to mix it into the sour cream tub and let it hydrate for a few hours before stirring again. It's so much better than any French onion dip and it's so easy.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

i say swears online posted:

----------------

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Wendigee posted:

Mayhaps. I still recommend buying Lipton French onion soup mix and using a spoon to mix it into the sour cream tub and let it hydrate for a few hours before stirring again. It's so much better than any French onion dip and it's so easy.

Yeah, I mean that’s just how you make it. The soup mix isn’t meant to be eaten dry.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

there's also from-scratch versions that use a ton of diced caramelized onions

----------------

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I've tried making french onion dip before, it's a huge pain in the rear end, and while it tastes fine it doesn't taste much like the dip you'd expect at all and it's incredibly disheartening

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
place near me does a crazy good spinach and artichoke dip. thinkin bout that dip

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

----------------

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Y'all gon' make me dip

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
one of my friends makes the best spinach & artichoke dip i've ever had, truly proof of a benevolent god

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

one time at a party someone brought fat-free spinach and artichoke dip they made themselves and asked me to taste it first. i'll always remember this because it's the only time i've ever insulted food and i made them feel bad

----------------

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

why the hell would you even bother. just bring salsa if you want a fat free dip

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

WEH posted:

why the hell would you even bother. just bring salsa if you want a fat free dip

yeah it's like making sugar-free runts candy

----------------

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

----------------

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

I've tried making french onion dip before, it's a huge pain in the rear end, and while it tastes fine it doesn't taste much like the dip you'd expect at all and it's incredibly disheartening

Do you mean like this?

Wendigee posted:

Because that sounds easy as hell. "Don't spill it when you stir it so maybe take a little sour cream out" seems like it would be the hardest part. Unless you mean completely from scratch, but if the above method makes good french onion dip, and whatever you did was difficult and wasn't very good, well...

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

no i mean from scratch

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

no i mean from scratch

yeah exactly, it's way different than the packet. tbh the packet is superior in most aspects but it's possible to really nail it

----------------

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Alton brown knows the secrets of homemade French onion dip.

https://youtu.be/IKnTtTyuFts

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

iirc alton brown's was the one I tried and was disappointed by. it's not exactly bad it just doesn't taste like the french onion dip I was aiming for.
i say swears' is interesting though, hadn't seen the cream cheese or the additional onion powder in other recipes. That might be what I try in the unlikely event I try to make it again

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe
Purple Doritos and the homemade soup packet onion dip. Close thread.

Reopen it if spinach dip in the hollowed out loaf of pumpernickel counts.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

dip on a dorito is a hat on a hat

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I tried the soup mix version of French Onion dip for the first time and it was pretty good. One thing it had above ready made dip is that there wasn't any liquid separation when you let it sit.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

I tried the soup mix version of French Onion dip for the first time and it was pretty good. One thing it had above ready made dip is that there wasn't any liquid separation when you let it sit.

Yeah that is the best part the dehydrated onions soak up all the extra liquid and the flavor is more intense.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

:siren::siren::siren::siren: french onion dip update :siren::siren::siren::siren:
instead of cooking a bunch of onions forever I just tried to make my own french onion soup powder and guess what: it kicks insane rear end
did a little cube of beef bullion, a bunch of dried onion flake, garlic powder, pepper, msg, paprika, and dill. ground it all up in a cheapo coffee grinder I use for spices and put about half in maybe a cup or so of sour cream cut with a little mayo. perfection.
going to be trying this with other spice combos to take my dip game far beyond what science once thought was possible. what's next? old bay dip for crab chips? tika masala dip?? schezuan peppercorn dip??? the possibilities are endless my friends....

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

tony chachery's fried shrimp dip

----------------

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i usedx to have a goon friend irl who moved away who made the best queso in trhe whole wide world and i miss him. bro if ur reading this i miss u

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
do you miss the bro or do you miss the 'so

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Nikumatic posted:

do you miss the bro or do you miss the 'so

both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Dill pickle dip has to be my fave overall. Philly Dill Pickle is fine, but when I feel fancy, I make my own.

250g cream cheese, room temperature
3/4 cup sour cream
1 cup pickles
3 tbs onions
1 tbs Worchestershire sauce
1/4 cup chopped dill

Chop Onions, pickles, and dill.
Mix all ingredients together.
Refrigerate for an hour before serving.

Philly herb and garlic is also nice.