Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

FINAL TRAILER

https://youtu.be/uHGShqcAHlQ

The long anticipated sequel to Breath of the Wild and 2023 GOTY The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom will be released on May 12, 2023. Never in the history of video games have expectations ever been higher. Nintendo took six years to create an all new gaming experience, but will they deliver on the hype?

In the years since BotW, the gaming landscape began to change as other developers took inspiration from Nintendo's unique approach to open worlds. Some games were more direct ripoffs (Genshin Impact, Immortals Fenyx Rising). Others took their own unique games and reinvited them in invigorating new ways that took the best parts of BotW without losing their identity (Elden Ring}. And also there's Sonic Frontiers.

Our first look at BotW's sequel was in summer 2019 (nearly four years ago!). Princess Zelda and her courageous knight, Link, are seen exploring a cave when they come across a very familiar corpse. Then we see the very familiar sight of Hyrule Castle, but it rises from the ground!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fr1Z07AV00

It wasn't for another two years that we would get a brief look at the gameplay. Link's got wild new hair and is hanging out up in the sky! Looks like Zelda is trying its hand at Skyward Sword again but doing it right this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi-MRZBP91I

They promised us a 2022 release date but I don't think any of us really held our breath. The only thing we got in 2022 was a full trailer as well as a title.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SNF4M_v7wc

(That's "tears" as in crying, not "tears" like in fabric.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYZuiFDQwQw

The most recent trailer is the first time we saw anything related to the story since the initial teaser, with a mysterious voice commanding his minions to be evil and whatnot. The gameplay all looked very similar to BotW but with some expansion on the world and enemies.

With only a few weeks until release, Nintendo finally graced us with ten minutes of gameplay, introducing a brand new set of mechanics that are part Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts and part Scribblenauts, with a very healthy dose of Garry's Mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6qna-ZCbxA

WHAT'S THE SAME?

As mentioned, Hyrule is back. It appears to be, generally speaking, the same overworld. Volcano to the north, desert to the west, jungle to the east, etc. The series has never done this before, with each new game having its own unique overworld.

Weapon durability is also back, much to many people's chagrin. I don't think any topic of discussion garnered anywhere near the level of debate as weapon durability. But would it truly be a BotW sequel without it?

WHAT'S DIFFERENT?

Thankfully, Hyrule appears to be greatly expanded, though not in the way you might initially think. The game has become significantly more vertical, with floating islands in the sky that can be accessed a number of ways. Right now, we know that we can create machines that could reach them, as well as having the ability to reverse the time of falling objects and riding them up to the sky. (It is unknown whether the "Ascend" ability will allow us up to those heights.) We don't know much about these islands, except that have some kind of attachment to the ancient Zonai race. What creatures and materials and worlds await us in the sky? Will Groose be up there?

The initial teaser showed our heroes in a cave, and Aonuma made references to caves in the latest gameplay video. So it is likely that Hyrule will have more underground content as well. Speculation currently is that this could be related to dungeons or to the story overall, but little has been shown in this regard.

Instead of a Sheikah Slate, Link's new abilities are tied to his hosed up arm. So far what we know are Fuse (the ability to graft materials and weapons together), Ultrahand (the ability to pick up larger objects and combine them into vehicles and other machinery), Ascend (the ability to float into a ceiling and warp through it to the surface), and Recall (the ability to send an item "back in time"). The first two abilities promise us a near limitless series of combinations and are likely why the game has taken so long. The last is a method of traversal unlike any other in the series' history and will likely contribute to the game's new sense of extreme verticality. The last one has mostly been shown to allow Link to ride objects into the sky, but we also saw him use it on a rolling boulder to attack enemies. It's unknown whether the original Sheikah Slate abilities are going to return (Ultrahand appears to make Magnesis redundant, for one). But these three alone promise us a huge world of versatility and a shitload of fun.

WHAT WE DON'T KNOW

We still know essentially nothing about the story. Link and Zelda awaken a corpse that appears to belong to Ganondorf. And the ancient Zonai people play a large part in the plot and world as well. Beyond that, the game could go anywhere. Given the open world nature of the game, it is unlikely that the story will progress in any kind of linear fashion. We also don't even know if classic dungeons are due to return or if we're just in store for dozens of smaller ones again. Nintendo knows that the game will be a bestseller either way, so they haven't been releasing much information. We'll likely get a much larger release trailer before release, but I hope we're all in for a lot of surprises come May.

If you'd like to be spoiled on characters, costumes, and items, the artbook has been leaked and can be easily found online. But even that doesn't give any hints about the story. I gave it a quick perusal and it was more like a very big game manual than an in-depth look. But still, read at your own risk.

now let's get hyped the gently caress up.

Past threads:
Let's talk about the Legend of Zelda
Zelda Megathread: I found a timeline under the table
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Raise your sword the highest you can
Zelda Megathread: Buying Nintendo consoles for one game since 2001
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Megathread

MokBa fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

I'm going to play the new Zelda game

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Great looking thread!

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Link is the Full Metal Alchemist.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
oh neat, a reason to play the switch again

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Legend of Zelda? I barely know her

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Guess i should finally go back and finish botw. Somehow i got several hundred hours without actually bothering to get the Master Sword, let alone face Gannon.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
If you're unfamiliar with Zelda symbols, you can refer to the legend.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

this mf said Breathe of the Wild

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I think Zelda games are good and that the new Zelda will be good

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

goethe.cx posted:

this mf said Breathe of the Wild

you can't prove that

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I wonder what happens if you happen to miss a piece of rock falling from the sky. Like if there's any other way to know where those are, since they seem necessary to reach the sky (or at least parts of it).

One other thing I noticed is that the "battery power" of the engine things doesn't seem sufficient to actually travel from the surface to the sky islands*, which makes me think that one part of the trailer with the flying machine was likely "it flying from one island to another" instead of "flying from the ground up to an island."

I like how this will basically give you a bunch of tools to completely circumvent the need for stamina, since you can always just create a thing to send you fly up a mountain (or teleport up to the top if it there's a cave).

* though I wonder if you could do something like combine balloons with the engines so that you can just float while they recharge before launching yourself up higher.

incorporeal posted:

I'm going to stop you, and everyone else, from playing it. I will cast an extremely powerful spell by burning my life force to accomplish this. But I will die with a smile on my face, knowing that I have prevented the world from playing the game The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (the tears are from the people who can't play the game anymore)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Can't wait tto attach five spears end to end.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 29, 2023

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

To ensure it is preserved for posterity:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Asterite34 posted:

To ensure it is preserved for posterity:

Lol, that's still my favorite thing :tipshat:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/stupjam/status/1640845904797212672

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

zelmda

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

:hmmyes:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

incorporeal posted:

:hmmyes:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Can’t believe a new Zelda will be out in six weeks and we don’t know if there are dungeons or not, it rules

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

We’re likely getting tasked with collecting seven tear shaped objects so I’m hoping that means seven big rear end dungeons. I’ll settle for seven “divine beast sized” dungeons though. Fingers crossed. Popular theory is that we’re looking at the Goddess Hylia here who might finally make an appearance in the game. Maybe.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

lol fan artists are very talented and fast

I'm sure the canonical touchpoint for the sky islands is going to be Skyward Sword, but all the sky stuff + Link looking like a mythological Grecian hero is giving me Kid Icarus vibes.

it's kinda funny that among all the details he talked about, Aonuma didn't once acknowledge Link's new look

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

* Linkishy *

AAAAAAHHHHHHH

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
We can ride the dragons up, right? Right?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

MokBa posted:

Instead of a Sheikah Slate, Link's new abilities are tied to his hosed up arm. So far what we know are Fuse (the ability to graft materials and weapons together), Ultrahand (the ability to pick up larger objects and combine them into vehicles and other machinery), and Ascend (the ability to float into a ceiling and warp through it to the surface). The first two abilities promise us a near limitless series of combinations and are likely why the game has taken so long. The last is a method of traversal unlike any other in the series' history and will likely contribute to the game's new sense of extreme verticality. It's unknown whether the original Sheikah Slate abilities are going to return (Ultrahand appears to make Magnesis redundant, for one). But these three alone promise us a huge world of versatility and a shitload of fun.

Great detailed OP! I just wanna say we do know the fourth ability, it's Recall. They use it early in the trailer to rewind a fallen object to ride it back up in the sky. Finally, a Tenet game.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

We can ride the dragons up, right? Right?

They’re sure a lot more of them flying around in the background than the first game. Could be!

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

Great detailed OP! I just wanna say we do know the fourth ability, it's Recall. They use it early in the trailer to rewind a fallen object to ride it back up in the sky. Finally, a Tenet game.

Oh duh!! I'll fix that in the OP. Thanks!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I can't wait to unlock the fifth arm ability, ROCKET PUUUUUNCH

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
While I'll only do some boring basic stuff I eagerly await to watch some sick videos of players doing incredibly broken stuff with these new abilities lol

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Nice, a Nuts & Bolts reference

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Can I fuse the divine beasts into some sort of megazord?

Chronicler of Dongs
Apr 22, 2003

~*~ Magic Mittens ~*~

The new powers look rad but being reminded it's the same map again is a bit of a bummer and it makes me wonder just how samey it'll be. There's gotta be some major changes in there somewhere (aside from the sky)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There are changes. The sheikah towers and shrines are gone from what I've seen from Zeltik analysis videos. And there are also glyphs drawn on the ground. There are also places that were either plunged into darkness or full of blight in BOTW that seem to be cleared up in TotK.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I mean it wasn't all that crazy before, and with how much could be circumvented I'd say it actually makes sense to use land that most people haven't seriously interacted with even if they completed the game 100%, especially since it lets them actually add detail or features that would otherwise not be practical if they had to do it ground up.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

The same map. Continues to be a letdown, yeah. I know there are sky islands, but not like, a whole Hyrule worth of sky islands. I won't be wondering "I wonder what's on the other side of those bluffs," I'll know it's the desert.

Am wondering what new fresh fuckery they put on eventide though

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Asterite34 posted:

Zelda Megathread: Deku Nuts & Bolts

Forgot to credit Asterite34 with the thread title. “Can you fuse the dog” and “FUUUUUUSE me, Princess” were very close runnerups as well.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Badass thread!! And quoting myself from a few days ago in the other thread:

quote:

Bayonetta Origins is giving me SERIOUS classic "Zelda with a gimmick" vibes y'all. It has a demo if anyone wants to check it out. The dungeon thing I just did a few hours into the full game scratched an incredible Zelda itch.

Here's the lil dungeon in case you wanna see for yourself. Looks like they skip through combat. https://youtu.be/8O0bBe1gKvA

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

External Organs posted:

Badass thread!! And quoting myself from a few days ago in the other thread:

How many dungeons? Too many 2D-Zelda-likes have promise but throw in like 3 dungeons and call it a day. Snooze

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

There are changes. The sheikah towers and shrines are gone from what I've seen from Zeltik analysis videos. And there are also glyphs drawn on the ground. There are also places that were either plunged into darkness or full of blight in BOTW that seem to be cleared up in TotK.

Minimap symbols are interesting here...