Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The map being reused is the big reason why this game can be so good - all the fiddly interstitial stuff is done already for most of the worldscape, and they can focus on the new content for the sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Dictator. posted:

good thing there's an apple mapped to one of the hotkeys.

Ooh, nice catch. I think it'll pop up a quick-select menu for materials (just like d-pad left/right do shields and weapons), to speed up cooking in particular.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i think it'll be for more than just cooking, seeing as how integral stuff like fusing materials seems to be etc.

in botw dpad up was used to select runes though, so they've moved changing abilities to somewhere else

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

They need to change that apple icon to meat. I wanna press the meat hotkey.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Genuinely feel like I'm the only one not hyped for this game. I feel like there's just too little known and for someone like me who's creatively bankrupt in games I'm just going to be 'ah, boulder and random thing, sure that's a weapon"

We still don't really know what the story even is, and it looks like there's only 2 cutscenes as far as we know. Haven't seen any NPC's, haven't seen anything dungeon like or could be seen as a setpiece... it's just kind of nothing all around. I don't need to know why the sky islands are around but I'd like to have a inkling as to why I'd want to even go up there for example, what it adds to the game, anything.

I dunno, I play Zelda for the puzzles and memorable dungeons/fights and characters (as well as the music) and after BotW stripped out most of that just to go 'big sandbox go!' I'm increasingly nervous that they stripped even more away to just be the same thing but with even less to make it stand out outside the goofy poo poo more creative people will make

E: I want to like Zelda again. Hyrule Warriors of all things even redeemed a lot of the BotW cast to me by giving them actual personalities. Am I going to have to wait for another spinoff to actually care about the setting?

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

I was a little concerned to hear the same music from BotW, especially the snowy music. Other than that it looks great.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/stupjam/status/1640845904797212672?s=46&t=I-gsjpvNkUNcOBofs8OOkQ

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

https://chimpukampu.tumblr.com/post/713107287180541952/on-my-way-to-save-zelda-with-my-phallicopter

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

MorningMoon posted:

I've been hearing insanely positive stuff, and that the game doesn't really get to Bayo even meeting Luka, so I'm insanely hyped. But I'm a Bayonetta fan, meaning I love action games, of course I wanna try this strange puzzle-y combat zelda like, but not the week before the father of Bayo's genre, RESIDENT EVIL 4, came out. Which will tide me until Tears of the Kingdom comes out. Which will last me well until Final Fantasy 16 comes out. Maybe I'll try Bayonetta Origins in the gap before Spider-man 2.

I can easily see the combat getting frenetic but I'm not super far in the game yet. There are some posters in the 3D action thread who have beaten it I believe.

I've never played another Bayonetta game outside of the first hour or so of one so I can't speak to story stuff. Mainly I'm charmed as hell by the graphics, they remind me of a 3D Gris.

Hedrigall posted:

How many dungeons? Too many 2D-Zelda-likes have promise but throw in like 3 dungeons and call it a day. Snooze

Alright, to be honest, the little mini dungeons are more like botw shrines to me. The rest of the world is sort of Metroid Vania ish. I'm not very far - 25% through - I'm a slow gamer, so this may change but yeah think more "shrines" than dungeons

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

lih posted:

i think it'll be for more than just cooking, seeing as how integral stuff like fusing materials seems to be etc.

in botw dpad up was used to select runes though, so they've moved changing abilities to somewhere else

One thing I REALLY hope they add, after seeing the vid:

The ability to pre-craft things in bulk & store in inventory.

Watching him have to keep crafting keese arrows on the fly made the gameplay flow a bit jarring.

Really hope it's not like, if I fuse a stick and boulder, then put it away, then I put the stick away and the boulder falls off, etc. Although I guess otherwise, the inventory screen could get massive.

Hmm. Will be interesting to see how they handle anyway!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Genuinely feel like I'm the only one not hyped for this game. I feel like there's just too little known and for someone like me who's creatively bankrupt in games I'm just going to be 'ah, boulder and random thing, sure that's a weapon"

We still don't really know what the story even is, and it looks like there's only 2 cutscenes as far as we know. Haven't seen any NPC's, haven't seen anything dungeon like or could be seen as a setpiece... it's just kind of nothing all around. I don't need to know why the sky islands are around but I'd like to have a inkling as to why I'd want to even go up there for example, what it adds to the game, anything.

I dunno, I play Zelda for the puzzles and memorable dungeons/fights and characters (as well as the music) and after BotW stripped out most of that just to go 'big sandbox go!' I'm increasingly nervous that they stripped even more away to just be the same thing but with even less to make it stand out outside the goofy poo poo more creative people will make

E: I want to like Zelda again. Hyrule Warriors of all things even redeemed a lot of the BotW cast to me by giving them actual personalities. Am I going to have to wait for another spinoff to actually care about the setting?

I'm actually with you on this. I don't know if the heavy emphasis on crafting and combining stuff to solve puzzles is gonna be up my alley.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

too lazy to click

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Dictator. posted:

too lazy to click

I’m sure the internet will get flooded with Nazi cars like an hour after the game is released.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
Nintendo spent six years on this game and all they came up with is floating islands, reverse, stick objects together, stick bigger objects together, and swim through ceilings. smh sm mfin h

I, of course, have it preordered

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Mourning Due posted:

One thing I REALLY hope they add, after seeing the vid:

The ability to pre-craft things in bulk & store in inventory.

Watching him have to keep crafting keese arrows on the fly made the gameplay flow a bit jarring.

Really hope it's not like, if I fuse a stick and boulder, then put it away, then I put the stick away and the boulder falls off, etc. Although I guess otherwise, the inventory screen could get massive.

Hmm. Will be interesting to see how they handle anyway!

Video clips of botw always seemed weird to me because of how it kind of stutters when you hit something, and the various power UI freezes the game whenever you bring it up. It bothered me less in person. But we'll see!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

MorningMoon posted:

Copies of TotK have been streetbroken five years ago

https://twitter.com/nokokgya/status/1063691008100061184

lmao, god the insane poo poo we're gonna be see in totk :eyepop:

edit: just realized, maybe already mentioned but the minimap in totk has xyz numbers on it thats not there in botw... wonder if thats just a dev build thing or there to help pin point things better?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The map being reused is the big reason why this game can be so good - all the fiddly interstitial stuff is done already for most of the worldscape, and they can focus on the new content for the sequel.

lots of comparisons are starting to show up on yt and its clear that they changed a whole of the map anyways, not just big areas.

really hope the underworld is what i think its gonna be tho... considering the sky has its own map too :pray:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Gorgolflox posted:

Nintendo spent six years on this game and all they came up with is floating islands, reverse, stick objects together, stick bigger objects together, and swim through ceilings. smh sm mfin h

You forgot meat arrows.

GOTY

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I wonder if Fused Weapons are actually going to be a plot point. Something like the new funky red Malice fucks up all conventional weapons, not just the Master Sword, which is why guardians and stuff used lightsabers instead of normal metal swords. I don't think we've really seen any normal weapons in the trailers/screenshots except for like a single rusted sword.

It looks like fusing weapons isn't just a flat addition (unless they nerfed the pitchfork from 7 damage to 2 for some reason), so no sticking a royal guard claymore on a stick for a spear with absurd damage.

I'm gonna be disappointed when it turns out that meat arrows are just going to be bait to lure enemies. I wonder if you can fire banana arrows at Yiga if they're in this one.

Vikar Jerome posted:

edit: just realized, maybe already mentioned but the minimap in totk has xyz numbers on it thats not there in botw... wonder if thats just a dev build thing or there to help pin point things better?

It's a bit too polished to be a dev thing, with the numbers curving to match the minimap. If it was dev it'd just be in the corner of the screen or something, and probably have full decimals instead of whole numbers too.

Icedude fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 29, 2023

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm excited but still not pre-BOTW excited. I remember when this trailer dropped in 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw47_q9wbBE
...and I immediately preordered a switch and the game right after watching it. I really hope they release a trailer with this level of hype to it and show a bit more about the world and story.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Suburban Dad posted:

I'm excited but still not pre-BOTW excited. I remember when this trailer dropped in 2017
...and I immediately preordered a switch and the game right after watching it. I really hope they release a trailer with this level of hype to it and show a bit more about the world and story.

I think this dropped during the big info dump on the Switch, and people speculating that BOTW was going to miss launch. You can see a lot of cheering in reaction videos when they announced it was a launch title with that date.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Honestly, maybe check out the leaked art book

It's the one that comes with the special edition so it's all selected in a such a way that you could look through the whole thing before starting the game. There are next to no plot spoilers (the closest thing to a spoiler is a look at some important new NPCs who were hinted at in the earlier trailers)

It's full of so much that hasn't been shown off, and yet I still know nothing about the story, I'm just way more hyped and know how weird and different this game is going to be. They still haven't really shown anything in the footage to date.

So yeah that's my recommendation if you're feeling a bit unsold on this game. Art book rules. I flipped through it all going "holy poo poo what is THAT" every 3 pages

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Some of the constructs are friendly

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i desperately need to know more about the lil merchant korok

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Flint_Paper posted:

I want to know what those weird wooden ramp looking things were in front of the stables. My money is on being able to FUSE some SPICY GINGER to HORSE'S ARSEHOLE to make them roar into life and whizz up the ramp to take you to the skylands.

There were a couple others throughout the gameplay trailer, it looked like mid-construction buildings. Probably Hyrulians rebuilding their kingdom a bit. I'm guessing there will be some kind of way to interact with them, though.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Suburban Dad posted:

really great trailer, i use to calibrate new screens alot lol.

i'd like to think we're getting one but if we dont get one in the next few weeks i cant see it happening.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Fake James posted:

There were a couple others throughout the gameplay trailer, it looked like mid-construction buildings. Probably Hyrulians rebuilding their kingdom a bit. I'm guessing there will be some kind of way to interact with them, though.

They're the same kind of planks that are used to make the car in the last trailer, and there's a sail stashed behind one of them, so they're probably just meant to be convenient vehicle materials.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I can understand people being worried that it’s the botw map again, but that’s literally all I wanted was more botw. The rest of it is icing on the cake.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

there’s not going to be any dungeons if you can just swim through the ceilings sigh

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I haven't played botw since 2017 so I don't care it might as well be a new map to me because of brain rot

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They did mention in the video that there are ceilings that can’t be swam through

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

a.lo posted:

there’s not going to be any dungeons if you can just swim through the ceilings sigh

code:

if location.isDungeon()
     Ascend.disabled = true;

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i wonder if you can use the ascend ability to get to the sky islands

that would be fun, but also kinda easy

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Hogama posted:

Minimap symbols are interesting here...

Beehive-lookin rear end icons

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Are there gonna be proper dungeons or nah

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Are there gonna be proper dungeons or nah

We don't know.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i wonder if you can use the ascend ability to get to the sky islands

that would be fun, but also kinda easy

If abilities can be upgraded to be more powerful I could see this happening late game

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

quiggy posted:

We don't know.

Waiting until we do, otherwise I DONT GIVE A FREAK!

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Gorgolflox posted:

Yeah, same. There's no way they spend 6 years and make a bad game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

really lolling at "there's only 2 cutscenes as far as we know."