Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sure would have been nice if the Phillies could have beaten the Astros a couple months ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Sure would have been nice if the Phillies could have beaten the Astros a couple months ago

Yeah, but with their lovely start, they're finally coming around, and at the right time. I'll take it.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

They did. Twice in fact. Two more times than anyone else. So both Phillies fans and Astros fans get to be happy

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Enjoying the Sell. The. Team. chants in Oakland. The random shot of the crowd before you recognize a SELL t-shirt is being worn.

It's great.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Trying to watch a relay of a blacked out game on mlbtv. The game ended 2.5 hours ago. Still just giving me the blackout message.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Jays on a 106 win page and in third place lol

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
I feel like the balanced schedule is going to make things even dumber than usual in the AL East.

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE
this is our minor league team's nick-name

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

BigBeefCity posted:

this is our minor league team's nick-name

Games against their arch rivals, the Rockford Reacharounds, are sold out every season.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Hooray for my favorite baseball day behind opening day, today is Lee Elia Day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S0CDtEz_Bo

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Patrick Spens posted:

I feel like the balanced schedule is going to make things even dumber than usual in the AL East.

What was the rationale for doing this, incidentally? Because it certainly SEEMS like MLB putting its thumb on the scale to play favorites.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Jays on a 106 win page and in third place lol

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

2015 NL Central sends its regards

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I mean is it really them "putting their thumb on the scale" when I think pretty much everyone agrees that, say, the AL Central is a much worse division than the AL East? Obviously this is skewed a little bit by seemingly everyone in the AL East starting hot (and we're still very early in the season), but I don't think there's a lot of room to be surprised when you take 20 games that they would normally play against each other and turn that into playing the Reds and Marlins instead. If anything, the actual problem is that they slammed 3-5 of the best teams in a single division, resulting in a bloodbath for both themselves and anyone else who gets unlucky enough to be scheduled against them.

E: And for what it's worth I think the balanced schedule is a good thing in general. If I still lived near Pittsburgh, I might literally never get to see, say, Ohtani in person.

Artix fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 29, 2023

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i was livid at the marlins breaking out the Florida Marlins Uniforms and bringing out the 2003 guys for the game against the cubs, you fiends!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/status/1652121360838148096

Doesn't look good

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
https://twitter.com/JomboyMedia/status/1652339861280440320

lol, i genuinely don't know why they would care...

I'm kind of curious how those people got those banners into the stadium and hung them up for the whole game without security getting involved, but the answer is probably the owner being so cheap that he runs the stadium on a skeleton staff that can't be arsed to get into an argument with the masochists that are still going to Oakland A's games.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

R.D. Mangles posted:

i was livid at the marlins breaking out the Florida Marlins Uniforms and bringing out the 2003 guys for the game against the cubs, you fiends!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Marlins org really seems to think there’s still something there between them and the Cubs, it’s kind of pathetic. Like, was Moises Alou at the game or something?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The “balanced” schedule is an improvement but they need to expand to 16 teams per league, abolish divisions, and play a truly balanced schedule with no interleague.

Won’t happen though for the same reason divisions were created in the first place: it’s harder to sell fans on a 16th place team than a 5th place team.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Starsfan posted:

I'm kind of curious how those people got those banners into the stadium and hung them up for the whole game without security getting involved, but the answer is probably the owner being so cheap that he runs the stadium on a skeleton staff that can't be arsed to get into an argument with the masochists that are still going to Oakland A's games.

O.Co gate security is notoriously an absolute joke and they only really do the absolute bare minimum to make sure you're not bringing in weapons. It's gotten a bit tighter since MLB forced metal detector checkpoints for entry to all games but before that I'd see guys who turned up with boxes of pizza and a 2L of soda get waved through. As for why nobody bothered to go over and confiscate the signs once they got unrolled, there'd have to be an actual motivated security presence throughout the park, which costs money, so...

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Starsfan posted:

https://twitter.com/JomboyMedia/status/1652339861280440320

My friend and I brought a huge PROMOTE ZULETA sign to Wrigley when he was mashing in Iowa like 20 years ago. He had season tickets in the front row of the 400 section (now 300 section) directly behind home plate, so the entire stadium could see it. We taped it to the outside of the railing of the upper deck. After one inning, security came and said "you can't hang it on the outside of the railing", which fair enough, if the tape broke, it would've fallen onto the section below us. So we taped it to the inside of the railing instead. Another inning later, they came back and told us that we could only hold it up between innings because it was "distracting."

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

:sigh: Not even a month into the season…

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rickiep00h posted:

What was the rationale for doing this, incidentally? Because it certainly SEEMS like MLB putting its thumb on the scale to play favorites.

Probably so teams like the Twins and Guardians don't have an advantage in the wild card race because they get to play 40 more games against the royals, white sox, and tigers than everyone in the AL East and West

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

N: As of today's outing, Zac Plesac has 21.1 IP with 18 ER, giving him an ERA of 7.6.

V: If Plesac isn't loving ejected from this team by this time tomorrow I'll be shocked.

e: I had my math wrong lol

Monathin fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 29, 2023

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Jays pitching has been utterly insane

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
https://twitter.com/ryandivish/status/1652435420347498497?s=46&t=EfhXBlOTjLN_O7LrA_QSoA

Not serious, thankfully. Julio needs to quit sliding head first and probably stop trying to be aggressive stealing in general.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1652438858544365568

😬😬😬

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Monathin posted:

N: As of today's outing, Zac Plesac has 21.1 IP with 18 ER, giving him an ERA of 7.6.

V: If Plesac isn't loving ejected from this team by this time tomorrow I'll be shocked.

I think Gavin Williams knocking on the door might be the end of Zach. He’s looked like garbage for 2 years now, has no command, and is getting rocked every time out. We have enough young studs even with McKenzie and Civale on the IL that we can jettison his rear end and not have an issue.

You cant keep running him out there, and you can put him in the pen, so I guess you just try and sneak him through waivers? Probably should have traded him in the off-season when he had ANY sort of value :(

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Monathin posted:

Aren’t they just gonna run with Allen and Bibee now? Seems like they’re better than the back of the rotation fodder of the last few seasons.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

GPTribefan posted:

I think Gavin Williams knocking on the door might be the end of Zach. He’s looked like garbage for 2 years now, has no command, and is getting rocked every time out. We have enough young studs even with McKenzie and Civale on the IL that we can jettison his rear end and not have an issue.

You cant keep running him out there, and you can put him in the pen, so I guess you just try and sneak him through waivers? Probably should have traded him in the off-season when he had ANY sort of value :(

Williams, Allen, Bibee. Give Gaddis a little more time and he might cook up right even if he got rocked real bad for a couple starts. He at least looked better than Plesac.

Bregor posted:

Aren’t they just gonna run with Allen and Bibee now? Seems like they’re better than the back of the rotation fodder of the last few seasons.

They both looked good but I wanna see them through a couple more starts before I give them a full nod - Gaddis looked really good in his full start but then got rocked as players started figuring him out. I agree they should just call up a bunch of their minor league guys right now for back of rotation duty.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

:rip:

It was a swing worth taking at least.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Monathin posted:

Williams, Allen, Bibee. Give Gaddis a little more time and he might cook up right even if he got rocked real bad for a couple starts. He at least looked better than Plesac.

They both looked good but I wanna see them through a couple more starts before I give them a full nod - Gaddis looked really good in his full start but then got rocked as players started figuring him out. I agree they should just call up a bunch of their minor league guys right now for back of rotation duty.

Yeah it’s an interesting situation to be sure. Feel like Biebs is the only lock. Quantrill has enough of a track record to be safe I think. The other three spots seem up for grabs. Allen looks ready. I thought Bibee might need more time but his first start was good (lolRockies though). Battenfield, Gaddis, and/or Plesac all just seem like temporary solutions until Civale and McKenzie are back. Pilkington is Just A Guy. But how they all shake out will be fun to watch. Feel like Tito has a knack for this type of situation.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Yankee pregame hyping up their big new callup Jake Bauers who has 977 career MLB AB's with a 78 OPS+. This team is such a shitshow lol

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Bregor posted:

Yeah it’s an interesting situation to be sure. Feel like Biebs is the only lock. Quantrill has enough of a track record to be safe I think. The other three spots seem up for grabs. Allen looks ready. I thought Bibee might need more time but his first start was good (lolRockies though). Battenfield, Gaddis, and/or Plesac all just seem like temporary solutions until Civale and McKenzie are back. Pilkington is Just A Guy. But how they all shake out will be fun to watch. Feel like Tito has a knack for this type of situation.

I get really pissed at Tito leaving starters in when they definitely need to get pulled after they narrowly escape a 5th or 6th inning jam, but otherwise I have no complaints with his management.

I think you need a sixth guy in the rotation because Civale is going to be in and out with injuries throughout the year, man hasn't managed a full 100+ inning stretch all but once in his career. Four full years under his belt and I think he just doesn't have the stamina to be an every-day rotation guy. Bieber / Quantrill / McKenzie / Allen / Civale / Bibee could be good but we're not going to have anything that looks like that until late may, at earliest.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fire up the GIF

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Sydin posted:

O.Co gate security is notoriously an absolute joke and they only really do the absolute bare minimum to make sure you're not bringing in weapons. It's gotten a bit tighter since MLB forced metal detector checkpoints for entry to all games but before that I'd see guys who turned up with boxes of pizza and a 2L of soda get waved through. As for why nobody bothered to go over and confiscate the signs once they got unrolled, there'd have to be an actual motivated security presence throughout the park, which costs money, so...

The outside food policy is basically the same as it has always been, so you can probably still bring in pizzas. Super common for all 18 of us fans to bring in our own dinner, usually burritos.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

mcmagic posted:

Yankee pregame hyping up their big new callup Jake Bauers who has 977 career MLB AB's with a 78 OPS+. This team is such a shitshow lol

But hasn't he saved America several times?

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp

mcmagic posted:

So about that guy....

You're right, what a shitshow. Aaron Hicks and IKF trying to kill each other right after Bauers goin face first into a wall like a looney tune.

pepperchomp fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 30, 2023

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Man the Astros really are feast or famine

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I am beyond done with the Eric Hosmer Experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Intruder posted:

Man the Astros really are feast or famine

You cheered for the Yankees, you have to know you can't do that