Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Bad Purchase posted:

it would be mean of me to be nice to you, it wouldn’t prepare you for what’s to come

Some people actually think this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I'll be nice to you OP... For money.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
I've kinda stopped interacting with people who aren't nice, after some poo poo last year where I almost lost a friendship because of my own long-term dickish behavior.

It turn out that after a lot of painful soul searching and striving to be a lot more concerned with being nice than being right, my tolerance for people who aren't in that headspace is at an all time low.

Fortunately I don't have to interact with many people that I don't want to, and for all the nonsense here I think SA is generally one of the nicer places on the internet.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Don’t have the spoons for it man

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Thank you all for your very nice responses

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I'm a nice guy op
It's everyone else that's the rear end in a top hat

Mechanical Pencil
Feb 19, 2013

by vyelkin
Capacity for emotional warmth and open compassion may require an absence of pants making GBS threads fear confusion and anger.

Also it's kinda fun to be a bit of a dick sometimes!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Being nice doesn’t get clicks or likes op

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i'm pretty nice these days but it took a lot of hard work

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Because some people are honest (the assholes) and some people are full of poo poo (happy).

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Because some people are honest (the assholes) and some people are full of poo poo (happy).

isn't an rear end in a top hat, by its nature, full of poo poo?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

isn't an rear end in a top hat, by its nature, full of poo poo?

Not if it’s getting everything out there. :hmmyes:

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

poo poo in, poo poo out

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Edward Mass posted:

I heard a story on NPR about this very topic, and it turns out we don't join clubs anymore. The Internet Makes You Stupid - and anti-social.

This is one of the reasons why accessible hockey et al are important. Ice hockey is more of a rich people thing but basically anyone can play ball hockey, young or old. And of course, soccer (aka football)/baseball/basketball/disk golf. What the gently caress ever.

Cheap teamwork and socialization bitches. Join a team.

You just go out pissed off because everything sucks, you can easily find a fight in minutes if you want, and that's just gonna piss you off more and make it worse. Also you will probably get hurt. Which will also piss you off more/make you more crazy.

So join a team of whatever strokes your interest. Not athletically inclined? Go volunteer for whatever.

It's the isolation and the poison of social media that breaks brains. Delete your loving social stuff, you'll never look back. You can stay here though, it's mostly nice you (slur of choice).

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

i'm pretty nice these days but it took a lot of hard work

I worry about being awkward in trying to get that done. Because it is.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
We all need to be more like these two men:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfUnwynwZvE

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I worry about being awkward in trying to get that done. Because it is.

Sure right it loving is. But most people are still fundamentally good, and most of the awkward is in your own head. It's just weird and hard sometimes. And if they turn out crazy or aggro, you just back off and note them as "okay, we are gonna avoid that one."

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Everyone is nice to me and loves me.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

The Butcher posted:

Sure right it loving is. But most people are still fundamentally good, and most of the awkward is in your own head. It's just weird and hard sometimes. And if they turn out crazy or aggro, you just back off and note them as "okay, we are gonna avoid that one."

Realizing that those anxieties go largely unnoticed is relaxing for sure.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Animal-Mother posted:

We all need to be more like these two men:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfUnwynwZvE

lol

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think big society nice faced judgement by nature in 1987 because they weren’t really nice, but for once they really had to fake it. And they’ve just been bitching about it since but I mean it is what it is, they aren’t nice, just lookin for something to use. :shrug:

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Edward Mass posted:

I heard a story on NPR about this very topic, and it turns out we don't join clubs anymore. The Internet Makes You Stupid - and anti-social.

what you dont do pop-up hackcons at the coworking space??

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I'm a lot better at being mean so the only time I am outspoken is to attack people whom I perceive create injustices. So personally being mean is the only way I can feel empowered probably

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

everyones extremely fragile at all times and could probably just use a hug. no one person has any freagin idea wtf is going down so acting like a prick bitch is an easy way to feign dominance. i made a poopy.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

flubber nuts posted:

everyones extremely fragile at all times and could probably just use a hug. no one person has any freagin idea wtf is going down so acting like a prick bitch is an easy way to feign dominance. i made a poopy.

If everyone acted like me, this world would be a lot better because everyone would be dead.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

If everyone acted like me, this world would be a lot better because everyone would be dead.

Ban this dead filth, but respectfully.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Devils Affricate posted:

Sometimes it just feels straight up wrong to be nice

It's true it is also wrong to lie

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

I will be nice to you op. And you, dear reader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Called one of those "How is my driving?" numbers earlier this week and told em truck 143 was doing the most beautiful driving I ever saw, stopping in front of pedestrian crossings and all. Asked them to pass on the message.