Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
This is the thread where you post about what sort of things you’d like to see at the book fair.

You got ideas for threads or cool poo poo you’d like to see put them in here and I’ll stab vaguely at the buttons in the hopes that they’re the right ones to make it happen.

If anything’s winding you up or a poster is trying to close one of the book cabinets with you in it and push it down a flight of stairs post it in here as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
If you want to open and close threads and probate people and have a little milk monitor sherrifs star why not consider being a book fair ik? Post itt and you can have a go as long as you pass the 'not a complete clown' eye test

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I'm in bed and it is dark and I am lazy but I hope and pray that when I wake up there's a "post images of your bookshelf" thread

it might motivate me to clean up and dust a little

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

death cob for cutie posted:

I'm in bed and it is dark and I am lazy but I hope and pray that when I wake up there's a "post images of your bookshelf" thread

it might motivate me to clean up and dust a little

Ohh, yeah that's a good idea! I won't steal it though - you should post it! :D I feel like my bookcase is pretty full, but thankfully has less of an untouched 'pile of shame' than a good chunk of my boardgame bookcases at least

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

my feedback is that we already have an active book forum, what’s the point of this

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
The book forum is active and excellent but this is to try and encourage new people to bookpost and just kind of have fun with it. There's been a lot of feedback that posters either live in their bookmarks (I did this for a long time) or go into like the book barn or the history threads in a/t and they're massive threads with established communities which can be intimidating sometimes if you just wanna find out new stuff

The forums been open for a couple of hours and we already have threads for history books, video game books, recipe books etc so ideally when the subforum next gets rotated we can move those threads and the discussion forums suddenly get an influx of new posters

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
SBF has helped me learn that there's been a group reread of Animorphs, something I wouldn't have even assumed would exist in TBB, so this is a net win for society I think

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

the sex ghost posted:

The book forum is active and excellent but this is to try and encourage new people to bookpost and just kind of have fun with it. There's been a lot of feedback that posters either live in their bookmarks (I did this for a long time) or go into like the book barn or the history threads in a/t and they're massive threads with established communities which can be intimidating sometimes if you just wanna find out new stuff

The forums been open for a couple of hours and we already have threads for history books, video game books, recipe books etc so ideally when the subforum next gets rotated we can move those threads and the discussion forums suddenly get an influx of new posters

Yeah, I think of the SBF as :justpost: whereas Book Barn to me is "if there's a thing you wanna post about, you should find the existing megathread and bookmark it" (which I have done! and enjoyed! but it's not the same).

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I suggest converting this into a Book Barn subforum after its RSF run ends.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I appreciate having a just post place for books. I read but I'm not well read, and a couple that times I tried to post in Book Barn I got responses that left me a bit sour. Which is not to say it's a bad place. Just that I like the slightly different style being tried here.

My only specific feedback would be to not give it a style sheet if it sticks around, please? Some of the other :justpost: subforums have them and I find them very distracting.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

my feedback is that this is a great little forum

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Could you move your subforum underneath GBS again please?

sube
Nov 7, 2022

put it above gbs again

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Charles Bukowski posted:

Could you move your subforum underneath GBS again please?

Done.

distortion park posted:

agreed

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

distortion park posted:

Agreed. :hai:

sube posted:

put it above gbs again

Agreed! :D

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

sube posted:

put it above gbs again

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I missed it, was it changed and then changed back? Lol.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

distortion park posted:

:hai:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

sube posted:

put it above gbs again

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
It's back on top! Excellent, thanks sex ghost - perfectly executed. Back in the limelight, right where SBF should be :D

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
make gbs a subforum of sbf

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

gbs must be brouight to heel.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

horrifically gently caress up the css and put rsf and gbs next to one another
or on top of one another, i'm not picky, css carnage is the goal here

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

super sweet best pal posted:

I suggest converting this into a Book Barn subforum after its RSF run ends.

Sounds Great!

I agree that Book Barn can be a little intimidating since it's all megathreads, but everybody there likes books and if you like books too you'll be in the right place!

Some good places to get started in Book Barn are:

Our general "please recommend me a book" thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3147139&pagenumber=451#lastpost . Just come tell us what sort of book you'd like, and we'll suggest something!

Our "Book Club" thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4013975 Every month we pick a book to read together. This month we're doing Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest and also a second secret surprise book!

Another good reason to show up (in Book Barn) is if you want to hang out with friends (and books)

death cob for cutie posted:

SBF has helped me learn that there's been a group reread of Animorphs, something I wouldn't have even assumed would exist in TBB, so this is a net win for society I think

We have a number of really great ongoing Let's Reads. I really encourage people to dive in and look for stuff, you'll probably find something you like. Just for a few examples, the Animorphs series is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3917428. There's a Poirot read here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4009998&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 and a Flashman read here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3894423. We've also had a few that have wrapped up, but are still good reads in the Goldmine.

The late lamented Chitoryu did a great readthrough of all the James Bond books here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3861448

I did a Let's Read of Howard Pyle's The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood as part of our Book Club, that thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3934938 (yes I gold mined my own thread)

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 18, 2023

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
TBB is pretty cool and the megathreads are also great sources of discussion, recommendations, and/or comedy. Echoing HA's picks for Let's Reads, too - the Bond thread is a fantastic read (RIP Chitoryu). It also genuinely helped me expand my reading tastes and explore titles outside of my usual comfort zones. Plus, an excellent annual Secret Santa event! So, RSF becoming a subforum of TBB would make sense, but also hey just check out TBB in the meantime it's nice!

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
The book barn rules this is known :hai:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Please keep RSF above GBS

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003

i have no suggestions, but i like posting here more than TBB. that is my feedback.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

s_k_a_m_ posted:

i have no suggestions, but i like posting here more than TBB. that is my feedback.

I'm curious why?

fwiw I'm enjoying the low effort bullshitting about books too.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

TBB has the issue where it's dominated by megathreads and it can feel intimidating to start a new thread or start posting in an established one. Plus, since many of those megathreads are genre specific, it's simpler to post about a certain book in the genre thread instead of starting a thread about it. SBF has been a big winner for casual book talk.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Youremother posted:

TBB has the issue where it's dominated by megathreads and it can feel intimidating to start a new thread or start posting in an established one. Plus, since many of those megathreads are genre specific, it's simpler to post about a certain book in the genre thread instead of starting a thread about it. SBF has been a big winner for casual book talk.

Yeah, I have to agree there. Although TBB is a great place, SBF definitely has a more relaxed attitude to new threads and casual posting, etc. in my opinion too, which is always a plus in my books!

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003

Famethrowa posted:

I'm curious why?

fwiw I'm enjoying the low effort bullshitting about books too.

i'm not sure. it seems less confrontational i guess? people seem to be having more fun here, and in TBB, it seems like people want to argue about books.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I have added more books to my 'to read' list from this subforum than from TBB. Because I have been to this subforum and multiple times at that. I'm not sure I've looked at TBB since 2013, and I never enjoyed the time i did spend there but I also got alcohol sober that year so maybe I just have negative associations or sthg. I just looked at TBB again and tbqh none of the threads on the first page outside of Animorphs reread looks compelling to me, and I'd rather just post random things about Animorphs than be part of a whole production around reading it with spoiler rules and whatnot.

Kinda like how Patriot and Terriers are great shows. I'm not joining another rewatch thread for either of them in TVIV, but I'll post in the 30 Rock quote thread.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

it’s definitely interesting that this place is more active than the non-genre threads in TBB

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

ulvir posted:

it’s definitely interesting that this place is more active than the non-genre threads in TBB

yeah.

IDGI honestly. There are no rules about :justpost: and starting threads, but there is apparently a perception of such. I recall just a few days ago someone was asking permission (well, more like asking whether there would be interest) in them doing a Lets Read on a book series. I never thought to ask when I started one myself. Perhaps its because its an older forum and lots of ground has been previously covered (although most are in archives)? Perhaps its the ghost of BotL? Perhaps folks are put off by the thread title of the lit thread? vOv

I do agree with many about not liking the megathreads, and I follow few of them closely. But more book and author specific threads spin out of discussions from them, like the Joyce thread (from lit) or the Sanderson thread (from SFF). I was against the BotM being set up as another one. Just makes it hard to find what you are looking for IMO.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Genre is good and I support people liking it but there definitely has been more discussion of classic fiction and non-fiction here too. I don't see the Chinese Poetry thread floating in TBB but it's a lovely little thread with some wonderful snippets in it that I never would have even been able to search out for on my own.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Youremother posted:

Genre is good and I support people liking it but there definitely has been more discussion of classic fiction and non-fiction here too. I don't see the Chinese Poetry thread floating in TBB but it's a lovely little thread with some wonderful snippets in it that I never would have even been able to search out for on my own.

yeah, I don't get why you think it wouldn't and that's what I'm trying to wrap my head around--why has TBB developed this reputation it seems to have (that I was completely unaware of until now). TBF though, the Chinese poetry thread does only have 9 posts in it so far (taking nothing away from the quality of those posts and your enjoyment from them). But I'm more a classical literature reader as well and would love for more threads like that in TBB

From where I'm sitting, this forum has only been open for 3 weeks, and is settling into a routine. I see several megathreads in the making here. Is that it, being in on the ground floor makes the threads more accessible to folks? Should TBB megathreads get closed and restarted more frequently? Or what. Some folks have mentioned looser moderation here but honestly HA only rarely steps in ever in TBB, and the posts seem to be the same quality in both forums.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Bilirubin posted:

Should megathreads get closed and restarted more frequently?

Absolutely, megathreads get in jokes and an effort op can explain some of those to give the thread vibe. I hope to god the op from 2014/5/6 isn't representative of a current vibe in most threads. When nearly every thread on the first page of a forum is 50+ pages long no one wants to make a new one. And we know this forum is ephemeral, which lends itself to shorter topics. I don't see a thread with more than like 6 pages here in Sam Bankman Fair so I'm not sure what megathreads you're talking about.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Grassy Knowles posted:

I don't see a thread with more than like 6 pages here in Sam Bankman Fair so I'm not sure what megathreads you're talking about.

Its new and there has not been time to build up the hundreds of page long threads, but there there are already some longer threads that have the potential to become one was my point.

You make an excellent comments thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I like TBB but there is a perception of a slightly sour and elitist posting brand in the lit thread especially. I know I fell off of it despite the great recommendations because I didn't dig the tone sometimes. someone once described the meanness as a "flock of professors in tweed snapping their fingers like the jets" and that was pretty funny.