Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I’m not gonna do an OP because I’m making GBS threads rn and too tired to figure out 2023 image hosting but anything from 40s pulp to 80s horror is fine by me, I just wanna see the cool and funny pics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

this has gotta be a pen name, right?

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

they could also just actually be a cat

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

this has gotta be a pen name, right?

hahahah YES!!!! I love the blurb from the author of The Female Man (???)

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
There's an excellent thread in the goldmine but this is the best one:

Sima Sam posted:

ROBOT Clint Eastwood with amazing hair.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

surely bookheads already know about this but a great source for these covers in the horror genre between, say, 1967 and 1994 is Grady Hendrix and Will Errickson’s Paperbacks from Hell. there are these awesome full-color larger-than-life reproductions on a lot of the interior pages, often with sidebars about the artists.

recommended if you like skeletons, screaming ladies in diaphanous nightclothes, big rear end animals of any kind (crabs even—Guy N. Smith wrote like a trilogy of insane crab novels)

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

not to be crass but he looks like he just finished a session of eating automaton pussy and he’s pretty proud of himself. wild

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

:h: :glomp: :h:

This and really any Lloyd Alexander books.

sube
Nov 7, 2022

a hardcover and not fiction, but still one of my favourite cover + back combos:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Not really insane but I would always get a sensible chuckle whenever a book with a dreamy Dean Koontz on the back would get returned

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Paperbacks From Hell is great for this, might as well showcase the classic of that.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

rox
Sep 7, 2016

when i was in elementary school i was really into the hardy boys and nancy drew and my parents had a ton of the old hardcovers, i remember always seeing a couple of 'newer' hardy boys books at the school library and this is one of the ones ive never been able to get out of my head

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

I loved the Hardy Boys Casefiles strictly because they tried to make them superspies/action heroes in training so it wasn't uncommon for them to be engaging in gunplay and the like.

Here's a weirder cover that doesn't look right at all.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

i was really young at the time and the first one i picked up was one where joe's girlfriend dies in a car bomb and i cried

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

haha what posted:

i was really young at the time and the first one i picked up was one where joe's girlfriend dies in a car bomb and i cried

I remember the ending being especially brutal as well involving a great fall due to an inordinate amount of blood. Still, if you were the right age for it, it was a lot of fun seeing the Hardy Boys go from teenage detectives to fighting international terrorism and shooting guns and traveling around in a van full of 'crimefighting equipment.' The '80s were truly a different time.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

PKD covers are kind of cheating here imo

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 1, 2023

Finlands Sexiest
Feb 26, 2007

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I loved the Hardy Boys Casefiles strictly because they tried to make them superspies/action heroes in training so it wasn't uncommon for them to be engaging in gunplay and the like.

Yeah, it was an interesting direction but the tone felt kind of off.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

thank u for posting the best Crabs cover

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Is it the most insane book cover, no. Is it insane enough? I think so.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Jossar posted:

Is it the most insane book cover, no. Is it insane enough? I think so.

I freaking love that series in an 80's sci-fi sort of way. My boyfriend in highschool loaned it to me, and now they're one the only physical books I own (I went digital a while back and donated everything else). They're all amazing and king of schlocky, and I think my favorite cover for the weird factor is for The Warlock Rock, but basically all of them in the series are that flavor of weird.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Mostly the fact that multiple people for years had to have looked at these and thought yes, this should be in elementary school libraries and book fairs.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Free to read at archive dot org: https://archive.org/details/deathoffuhrer00rola_0

rox
Sep 7, 2016

x-posting from goosebumps thread

haha what posted:

holy poo poo i was looking them up to double check and the covers from the ones released in france OWN. i never knew about this, some of these are insanely good lmao

https://goosebumps.fandom.com/wiki/Goosebumps/French_releases

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

hell yes.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Xenoborg posted:

Mostly the fact that multiple people for years had to have looked at these and thought yes, this should be in elementary school libraries and book fairs.

They're right.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
The Spanish edition of Monday Starts on Saturday that looks like an oingo boingo album

Polish 1984 with Cat Stalin

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Ahaha this one is great.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

The Dark Tower

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

:five:

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

super sweet best pal posted:

Yeah, it was an interesting direction but the tone felt kind of off.

Yeah, and the ages of the detectives that were being recruited into 'The Network' (love the vague names) felt off too. Why did Frank and Joe know everything to know about machine guns circa 1990 when they were nearly 18? They were sons of a famous detective, not the siblings from Night of the Comet.

Anyway, I looked more into Guy N. Smith covers hoping to find more comical Crab series goodness. Instead, I found this.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Xenoborg posted:

this was a hardcover but easily the best cover

those books had some of the most insane illustrations ever and i love it

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Here's a weirder cover that doesn't look right at all.

"My agent JUST got around to telling me that the Hardy Boys can't hold GUNS on the cover of this book...but I've already started the painting and they're both in James Bond tactical crouches! I'm not throwing away hours of work, I can fix this..."

rox
Sep 7, 2016

JethroMcB posted:

"My agent JUST got around to telling me that the Hardy Boys can't hold GUNS on the cover of this book...but I've already started the painting and they're both in James Bond tactical crouches! I'm not throwing away hours of work, I can fix this..."

lol

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

barnold posted:

this was a hardcover but easily the best cover

those books had some of the most insane illustrations ever and i love it

They put out an edition with new, not hosed up, illustrations but after so many people complained the next went back to the old style.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Pretty sure the life path that led me to this website started with that book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Not really insane but I would always get a sensible chuckle whenever a book with a dreamy Dean Koontz on the back would get returned

I enjoyed this author pic a lot because it's so incredibly french