Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Hell, yes. Fuckin loved this series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Not really insane but I would always get a sensible chuckle whenever a book with a dreamy Dean Koontz on the back would get returned

He looked better when he was writing pervert science fiction, imo

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I remember loving Bruce Coville's books, but also feeling cheated as I finished one (Maybe in the "Aliens Ate my Homework" series?) because it ended on a solid, hook-filled cliffhanger, and I knew both that I was already a year or two too old for those books and that the sequel probably wouldn't hit until I was another grade up, fully beyond that kind of kid stuff. (I'd be ordering off of the MIDDLE SCHOOL Scholastic order forms by then!)

rox
Sep 7, 2016

distortion park posted:

I enjoyed this author pic a lot because it's so incredibly french

lmao hell yeah

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

agent dostoy oh-seven

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I remember this scholastic book about a nuke going off in a small suburban town and how low key and grounded it was, then the sequel book’s cover had the main character hanging off of a rope ladder from a helicopter while skyscrapers smoldered in the background.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

ruddiger posted:

I remember this scholastic book about a nuke going off in a small suburban town and how low key and grounded it was, then the sequel book’s cover had the main character hanging off of a rope ladder from a helicopter while skyscrapers smoldered in the background.

I remember that too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/After_the_Bomb_(novel)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

quote:

During the story Philip develops an attitude of "Me and mine first", with him being portrayed as switching the tag of an evacuee with his mother's so that his mother would be evacuated to another state for treatment.

Perfect Reagan-era storytelling for young adults. ("The book was written with the objective of turning young people into anti-nuclear weapons activists" uh-huh, sure.)

Here's that sequel cover and sure enough:

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Paperbacks From Hell is great for this, might as well showcase the classic of that.

lol

lmao

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I didn't notice the author for CRABS: THE HUMAN SACRIFICE was "Guy N. Smith" until like the fourth or fifth time I was marveling at it. The perfect level of effort for a pen name on that work.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I went to a wedding the wife's family held at their extremely grim science fiction bookstore and my clearest recollection of that night was Hitler here watching over the proceedings

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 3, 2023

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

smdh at picking that Turtledove cover with so many other good ones

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Lucky for you I sincerely love poo poo that loving sucks.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

Perfect Reagan-era storytelling for young adults. ("The book was written with the objective of turning young people into anti-nuclear weapons activists" uh-huh, sure.)

Here's that sequel cover and sure enough:

Hell yeah, glad to know my memory isn't completely poo poo.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
LOL i was scared of the monster on this hardy boys book when I got it from the library

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Lol that this is a follow up to something else. Is "this guy has a bunch of dogs" a compelling hook if you've read the first book? We may never know.

Came here to post this:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Lol that this is a follow up to something else. Is "this guy has a bunch of dogs" a compelling hook if you've read the first book? We may never know.

Kirkus Reviews posted:

Following an invasion by the vicious, barbaric, nonhuman Eika and their terrible dogs, King Henry makes plans to recapture the city of Gent--where his immortal bastard son Sanglant, the prince of dogs, is being kept chained and humiliated by the Eika warlord Bloodheart. Elsewhere, young King's Eagle Liath, pursued by her nemesis, Hugh, strives to rediscover her past and master the magic within her. Alain, Count Lavastine's adopted heir, desires only peace but can't disregard his oath to the Lady of Battles. And Fifth Brother, Bloodheart's least-favored son, is developing his own agenda for dealing with both his father and the humans.

So to answer your question, :confused: I think I know less about the book than I did when I just had the cover blurb.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

BrownPepper posted:

LOL i was scared of the monster on this hardy boys book when I got it from the library

That's a lot better art than the Casefiles. Also, it was quite confusing to imagine how those two series fit into each other. I know that cover was the series that continued the run from the '40s-50s whatever and was in the same vein as opposed to the 'we're busting out of Greece with machine guns with our teenage friends versus assassins and other dangerous baddies' and the like.

Hardy Boys were messed up, man.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

favorite one i own. this is what scifi was all about in 1964

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

The crease/wear mark almost makes it look like he's smoking two cigs at once

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I went to a wedding the wife's family held at their extremely grim science fiction bookstore and my clearest recollection of that night was Hitler here watching over the proceedings

That's obviously Christoph Waltz. Applesauce!

Turtledove's first alternate history was inspired by either a painting of Bobby Lee the slaver general holding an AK, or came from the sight of a similarly anachronistic painting involving medieval technology, as I recall.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

buffalo all day posted:

smdh at picking that Turtledove cover with so many other good ones

I'd never thought to actually look, and now I'm rediscovering the feeling of being a kid picking up a rock and watching a million cool gross bugs scuttle out from under it

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Paperbacks From Hell is great for this, might as well showcase the classic of that.

love that site, here's another great one:

the story is just as insane as its packaging: http://toomuchhorrorfiction.blogspot.com/2019/01/eat-them-alive-by-pierce-nace-1977.html

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I was actually going to request that one lol. it’s so cool how the guy has to get revenge ‘cause his nuts got eaten off or whatever

astral
Apr 26, 2004

What if the paperback cover was fine, but they made the ebook cover insane?

mass market paperback (1993):

kindle edition (2015):

rox
Sep 7, 2016

astral posted:

kindle edition (2015):

lmao

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I was actually going to request that one lol. it’s so cool how the guy has to get revenge ‘cause his nuts got eaten off or whatever

i would be loving heated if that happened to me

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

astral posted:

kindle edition (2015):

lmao

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

astral posted:

kindle edition (2015):

Spike and Mike's Twisted Book Festival!

sube
Nov 7, 2022

astral posted:

kindle edition (2015):

lol

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Albert Einstein and the Clip Art Gfs… In Space !

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

JethroMcB posted:

So to answer your question, :confused: I think I know less about the book than I did when I just had the cover blurb.

It’s a pretty good series!

Basically he’s a prince who is chained to a bunch of dogs.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

i hate this loving egg. absolute dogshit egg

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i hate this loving egg. absolute dogshit egg

that dinosaur's saying don't look at me dude, i'm outta here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrownPepper