Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Getting hype as gently caress at the hedgehogs with battle armor and the legendary fox or whatever the hell happened I dunno it's been a really long time since I read it but I remember thinking it was the sickest poo poo ever as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

"Wow, this dude really likes writing about food" is my main take away from the few Redwall books my friend who was obsessed with the series convinced me to read.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Food ftw

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Scones and hotroot shrimp soup. I could not stop reading Redwall in jr. high. Long Patrol and Mossflower were the best IMO.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Hmm "vittiles" is a really cool word I'm going to use it at every opportunity when I talk about food so people know how cool I am

then I'm gonna ask my mom to buy me a sword so I can be just like Martin!

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

must beg mom for more scones cuz i read these little rodents having breakfast

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

bees x1000 posted:

Scones and hotroot shrimp soup. I could not stop reading Redwall in jr. high. Long Patrol and Mossflower were the best IMO.

Because scones with a pot of shrimp and horseradish soup is indeed :yum:

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

I have no clue what raspberry cordial is but I want it more than anything

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The Redwall series consists of exactly two books, Redwall and Redwall But Slightly Different, but for some reason they wound up publishing the second book under a lot of different names.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

there's a redwall cookbook and it owns

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
when i was in high school there was this kid who was i guess you'd say troubled and he was obsessed with the redwall books. he'd insist he was a squirrel, take off his shoes and jump across the desks, or run outside and start trying to climb the trees.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

when i was in highschool we had the type of kid who was really into dbz and would try to go ssj in the common areas etc and some kids tried to beat him up to prove that dbz isn't real and he beat all of their asses and got suspended for a week

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

the holy poopacy posted:

The Redwall series consists of exactly two books, Redwall and Redwall But Slightly Different, but for some reason they wound up publishing the second book under a lot of different names.

Burr aye.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Hand Knit posted:

when i was in high school there was this kid who was i guess you'd say troubled and he was obsessed with the redwall books. he'd insist he was a squirrel, take off his shoes and jump across the desks, or run outside and start trying to climb the trees.

'And you would say his name was?'

'We call that a 'reverse iskai' in this business, now if you'll look at the little light here...'

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

getting a very clear message from reading these books... that people should be judged not on their actions, but on their appearance. ok. i can work with this.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

gonna go eat a whole pie now and stay up way past 10 readin redwall books

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Homeroom class again? Time to read another couple chapters of Martin the Warrior.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Cluny sucks!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

For some reason ~10 year old me read Mossflower first, but after that I read them in order and stopped after Martin the Warrior.

I loved those books

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Badgers just rolled up, some real poo poo is about to go down

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I actually have the vast majority of the series even to this day. I'm just missing 4/22 books to complete the collection. A guilty pleasure of mine the past couple years has been going back and re-reading them in release order. I'm not too far into this goal, but hopefully I'll acquire the missing books before I get to their places in the chronology.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Best part of every book was the bit five chapters before the end when Generic Badger and Hare turn up to solve all the problems by hulking out and murdering everybody

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

im trying to remember what i even remember at all having read like 12 of these shits. first book had the rat in the snake hole with his sword--visualizing that as a kid was cool. and mossflower had a prison camp, right? i think my favorite book had some battle by a lighthouse.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I think I only read the first one but my lasting memory was climbing some church tower to get to the bell and being attacked by a bunch of bitchass birds I think? Honestly I have no idea it was like 25 years ago at this point lmao.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

skipping over the dialogue whenever a loving mole shows up

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Plebian Parasite posted:

skipping over the dialogue whenever a loving mole shows up

only reading the mole dialogue, and then mumbling HURR BURR over and over like a crazy person at school

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

American McGay posted:

I think I only read the first one but my lasting memory was climbing some church tower to get to the bell and being attacked by a bunch of bitchass birds I think? Honestly I have no idea it was like 25 years ago at this point lmao.

that would probably be matthias climbing to recover martin the warrior's Legendary Sword from the weather vane at the top of the abbey and getting attacked by the sparra

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Despite having no firm memories about Redwall other than the aforementioned "Wow, this dude likes writing about food", I think Redwall is why I now have the rulebook for Burrows & Badgers on my shelf of wargame and RPG rulesets I'll probably never get around to playing.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I'm surprised there was never a redwall tabletop game. you think nerds would be all over that poo poo

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

vyelkin posted:

Best part of every book was the bit five chapters before the end when Generic Badger and Hare turn up to solve all the problems by hulking out and murdering everybody

someone once told me the 'bloodlust' is just rabies and I refused to believe them even though it's probably true

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
it's 1999 and i am in 4th grade just plowing through redwall books entirely out of order because I don't even understand that there's an order you have to read them in. i don't understand the badgers. I have picked up that they are extremely cool, and I understand that this is some kind of accent, but I don't know what the hell they're talking about.

One weekend my mom goes on a business trip. my dad shows me Braveheart. It all comes together.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
I am surprised redwall didnt get another tv show. alledgedly one is in the works but its from netflix so gently caress if i know if that comes out.

as for the books. i really like a couple but i think first couple are the only good ones, the rest kinda just keep going and going.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Leraika posted:

I'm surprised there was never a redwall tabletop game. you think nerds would be all over that poo poo

Fortunately Burrows & Badgers fills that gap. I mean, lookit this poo poo

I guess Humblewood fills in the gap in the RPG space, but I have no idea how good it is.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

real redwall fankids rocked this bad boy, I bet you could play some kind of sweet tabletop game with it: https://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-Own-Redwall-Abbey/dp/0399233792

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Leraika posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouse_Guard

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

mouse guard is mouse guard, not redwall :colbert:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

yeah ok whatever you say.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

redwall was a watershed moment in my young life because the 9999 page food descriptions got me to recognize the thing I was reading was a work by an author rather than just being absorbed in the story as a thing that existed independently of anything in my world. I have a very distinct memory of sitting on my bunk bed and thinking like "man this guy loves writing about food", a thought totally orthogonal to anything I had thought about stories before. thank you brian jacks for introducing me to the world of literary criticism because you couldn't finish a chapter without talking about all the different types of baked goods voles love to eat

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
The first Redwall book I read was Martin the Warrior, in 4th grade and it had the illest loving cover.

There was this store in Peddler's Village that sold little trinkety things and I made my mom get me these mouse statues and one was a little guy holding a toothpick through an olive like a sword and in my head that was Martin the Warrior.

The snow scenes were the coziest. Frost on whiskers & raspberry cordial and poo poo. Yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
as i kid i had no real idea of the wildly different sizes of different animals in redwall. like sure, a mouse and a rat are basically the same? a stoat and a weasel and a fox are only a bit different? how big are badgers, anyway?