Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Parents are always concerned about "bad influences" for their kids.

Were you the one nobody's parents wanted their kids to play with?

Or do you remember people in your childhood that actually fit the bill? Were they the same ones your parents were concerned about?

I feel like my middle school best friend was probably what would be considered a bad influence considering everyone in her house smoked weed (in the south so you could actually get in trouble for it) and she definitely did a lot of stuff my parents would probably not have approved of.

But she was a great friend and was the main person getting me out of my house and enjoying my childhood. So was she really a bad person for me to interact with? Part of me just wonders what my life would have been like if my parents forbid me from seeing her, not just at that time but the rest of my life too. Like if i ended up with a different "crowd" it seems like my life would be different, not sure if better or worse. I would lean more towards worse though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
Be the change you wish to see in the world

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

nom epique posted:

Be the change you wish to see in the world

QFT

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I was a pretty normal kid, I got into dumb poo poo but I don't think anyone would have considered me a bad influence. Once I turned 14 I pretty much decided 'gently caress humanity' and stopped having friends for the most part so I couldn't influence anybody good or bad even if I wanted to and I have maintained that to this very day.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I was a pretty normal kid, I got into dumb poo poo but I don't think anyone would have considered me a bad influence. Once I turned 14 I pretty much decided 'gently caress humanity' and stopped having friends for the most part so I couldn't influence anybody good or bad even if I wanted to and I have maintained that to this very day.

Dang. Try prayer.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
A friend of mine who lived down the street was from time to time banned from hanging out with me because I was a bad influence. It never lasted, but drat did his mom hate me.

To be fair, I was kind of a bad influence. Nothing too scandalous, just fireworks, and some light shoplifting, stuff like that.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
wrong thread gomenasai

The Real Amethyst fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 2, 2023

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

yeah I was def the bad influence.....I was doing opiates and selling pot from fifteen on. Not to mention I started working as a dishwasher in restaurants real young so I had access to lots of folks that would buy me booze...so i pretty much was the dude that hooked up the parties.

Parents def did not want me hanging out with their kids and they made that known on the parental news matrix. I also had my mom told by another mom that she was going to try to have me arrested for "The bra and panties incident"

I got kicked out of school at 16 for a variety of shenanigans and other varieties of tomfoolery

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Oh yeah, I totally was the bad influence. Probably had something to do with the family buisiness being a bar and liqour store. I had tried vices most people don't until they are in their twenties and developed a colourful vocabulary from the customers.

May have repeated one too many stories that I wasn't supposed to, in front of peoples parents. Like that one about the retired postman who was ex-navy and stationed in Hong Kong and how he visited over 500 prostitutes.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

ManBoyChef posted:

yeah I was def the bad influence.....I was doing opiates and selling pot from fifteen on. Not to mention I started working as a dishwasher in restaurants real young so I had access to lots of folks that would buy me booze...so i pretty much was the dude that hooked up the parties.

Parents def did not want me hanging out with their kids and they made that known on the parental news matrix. I also had my mom told by another mom that she was going to try to have me arrested for "The bra and panties incident"

I got kicked out of school at 16 for a variety of shenanigans and other varieties of tomfoolery

What was the incident op

zone
Dec 6, 2016
Not me, I was the teachers' pet pretty much all my days in school

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Weirdly, yeah. I was a really good student and had a "homemade dinner 'round the table" kinda family, but we all liked spooky stuff. When friends would stay over, my mom would drive us out to the local cemetery at night so we could run around and scare ourselves. No vandalism, just a bunch of kids ghost-huntin'.

Then one girl decided it would be more interesting to tell her mom we took her out to practice witchcraft and jump up and down on tombstones yelling, "Jesus, take me!" And her mom thought it would be more interesting to spread that story than talk to my mom. So :toot:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Nah, I was told I needed to be a role model for my siblings, including the older ones weirdly. So while they were all having rebellious periods and stuff I was cleaning up the messes. I was always the good kid who got good grades and was polite and poo poo.

Apparently that illusion dropped when they realised I was drinking and doing the drugs I just wasn't acting like a piece of poo poo about it :shrug:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I wasn't when I was a kid, but I would be now

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I stole a lip gloss in middle school to impress some chick named Tamiko. I still feel kinda bad about it.

Never did a drug til I was like 19. Tried to buy blow once and got robbed instead.

Skipped half a day of school senior year and spent the day terrified my military mom would find out, I fuckin suck at being cool.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

One time, my neighborhood friend and I thought it would be hilarious to switch the salt in the shaker with sugar and see what would happen. His mom made dinner that night when we thought she was bringing home pizza and ruined dinner while I was in his bedroom listening to him get scolded. I sneaked out the window and ran home. Didn’t see him for about two weeks afterward and presumed his mom told me I was a bad influence.

When I finally caught up with him again, he said it was the funniest poo poo ever and totally worth it. Bad influence, my rear end.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

nom epique posted:

What was the incident op

every day after school I had people over to get high at my house and listen to dance music. Cassius 1999 had just come out. I was blastin that. I had an iMac with a webcam on it. A couple of girls took a few risque pictures for me. Another person found the photos on my computer when they went to play a game of original unreal and emailed them to themselves. In true scumbag highschool dude fashion they pretty much sent them to all their friends and it spread through the school like freaking mono on senior sleep out.

Yeah poo poo kinda took a while to blow over. Was a legend for a while.

edit:Yes I'm old (iMac, webcam, unreal [not even tournament] and cassius 1999, still super crushing it though)

edit 2 had to post a couple jams from that album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDesnOyWzL0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrU2DThhsZI

pro clicks if you feel like dancin in your seat

ManBoyChef fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 2, 2023

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Treecko posted:

I stole a lip gloss in middle school to impress some chick named Tamiko. I still feel kinda bad about it.

Never did a drug til I was like 19. Tried to buy blow once and got robbed instead.

Skipped half a day of school senior year and spent the day terrified my military mom would find out, I fuckin suck at being cool.

buying blow is like being robbed anyway, what a waste of money

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Another neighborhood friend of mine had an ultra-super-mega conservative Catholic father who watched my every move and rarely ever let me in his house, but I could still be friends with his son. One time, his dad left for work and my friend called me to come over and hang out since his dad was gone. We were playing Kung Fu on the NES while neither of us noticed his dad had returned home because he forgot something, and he was eavesdropping on us right outside the bedroom door.

I had just rescued Sylvia from Mr. X and a cutscene follows with her hugging the hero surrounded by a bunch of hearts. I said, “Ooh la la, they’re in loooove.” and that was apparently enough for the dad to bust in and literally shove me out of his house. I was like :wtf: just happened??

When I asked my friend much later what the hell that was all about, his dad said I was being a sexual deviant and sinner. All righty then. I wasn’t friends with him much longer after that.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i've never been a bad anything

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Totally. I started a 'swearing club' in grade school, and had to kick my buddy out of it because he wasn't swearing enough.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I've never been a good influence so I must have been a bad one

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
My best friend in high school ended up becoming the guy that you see one the street corner yelling at poo poo that isn't there and talking about voices and poo poo. One time we went to this all ages club and he got super mega wasted. We ended up bringing him home and some poo poo hit the fan we all got in trouble and from there on out, his parents didn't like me that much. They were super conservative. My parents weren't the type that were cool with underage drinking either and were *fairly* strict, but his parents were stricter than mine.
I smoked him his first marijuana too. I smoked a bunch of marijuanas with him and then he went to college, while I did what was known as the "victory lap" in Ontario high schools back in the 90s and early '00s. While I was just drinking and smoking weed still in high school, he was doing a ton of poo poo (booze, acid, shrooms, crack etc) in college and getting pretty hosed up as a result.
Apparently he'd spent some time in a psych ward or detox or some poo poo as a result.

When he came back from that year of school he was noticeably different. His parents still didn't like me and I tried to keep away from booze and weed while he was around, but he was going out with people he worked with and getting hosed up too. One time he was at a bar or something and collapsed from (??) something. I don't know what exactly, spent some time in the hospital and his parents blamed me for that even though I wasn't there. I had an alibi. I was out getting liquored up at the strip club with some guys I worked with.

Well anyway, the next time I talked to him we were going to do something and just after I hung up his mom called me back and bitched at me and said she'd call the cops if I hung out with him again, because "the last time you went out with him he almost died". Referring to the incident in the last paragraph. Except the last time I hung out with him, I was with him and his older brother, and his older brother was pretty anti-drug, so I wasn't going to be trying to smoke weed with him around his brother.

I think I only talked to him once after that and I *think* I saw him once a year or three later but he either didn't recognize/remember me or just didn't say anything to me. Its kinda hard to believe he didn't recognize me, but maybe at the time he was super hosed up or something. I dunno.

His name would be in the paper on a regular basis for a few years for doing hosed up poo poo. People used to feel obligated to tell me when he'd do something hosed up and his name would show up, but its been a while now. Hopefully he's doing better.

So uhhhhhh I guess I was a bad influence.

Anyway, I'll have a baconator and a sour cream and chive baked potato.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 2, 2023

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I am always a bad influence.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty-bLdf8Bsw listen to this and dispair

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I am always a bad influence.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty-bLdf8Bsw listen to this and dispair

The whole album is a great descent into self hatred

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Smugworth posted:

The whole album is a great descent into self hatred

He did call it the downward spiral

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
I swore in front of my little cousins a lot. I remember once I was 11 and I was at a wedding reception playing with my cousins and some guys from the other family were hanging out smoking and one of them said gently caress. So he turns to us kids and is all "Oh that's a bad word you shouldn't say that" and I get super offended and call them all the British word and run away

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I think Trent might have a mental problem

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

The Hello Machine posted:

I swore in front of my little cousins a lot. I remember once I was 11 and I was at a wedding reception playing with my cousins and some guys from the other family were hanging out smoking and one of them said gently caress. So he turns to us kids and is all "Oh that's a bad word you shouldn't say that" and I get super offended and call them all the British word and run away

Lol

I remember the first time I learned about the word gently caress.

It was from pokemon internet chatrooms.

I wish I was kidding. I'm sure I had heard it before but didn't realize the significance of it until my friend saw it come up in the chat and freaked out that we were gonna get in trouble.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Private Cumshoe posted:

buying blow is like being robbed anyway, what a waste of money

Says someone who never had good cocaine

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I was not tho
I was the only one of my friends to graduate a virgin and when I walked at graduation a couple of my girlfriends clapped specifically for me because of that as an inside joke

it's so weird now because of the whole meme about "and then they clapped"

This was like 80 years ago

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
One of my best friends was definitely considered a Bad Influence by my Mom.

He and I have been through ups and downs but we're solid buddies now; initially it was kind of a bullying relationship that quickly became friendship when I stood up for myself a bit.

He always had great house parties, the kind of parents who were loaded and didn't care if he was drinking or doing drugs so long as it was at their house. So he got me drunk for the first time: two 40oz bottles of Olde English. One was supposed to be his but I finished it while he was upstairs with his girlfriend. Then we walked to the park to smoke weed and I still remember falling all over the place and trying to read license plates on parked cars to keep myself upright and coherent. I think I ended up throwing up all over his bathroom floor that night.

Another time he pepper sprayed me. It was on a dare, we were big on that Jackass stuff and another friend even caught it on camera (I've been pestering him to digitize all his old tapes for years now). Anyway it hurt a lot and I couldn't see a thing for like a half hour, and I'm pretty sure as soon as I went down someone else came up and smacked me with a big sheet of plywood.

One year he went to visit family in like Argentina or something and brought me back a souvenir: these things called bolealoras, basically a big heavy bolo made of sinew that you'd use to tangle up and capture animals. I still have it somewhere, it is a legit weapon and we used to joke about busting it out if we ever got jumped by someone, how hilarious it would be.

He and I went to the Canadian National Exhibition ('the Ex', basically a big carnival/fair with rides and a midway), on shrooms. It was simultaneously the most fun and scared I'd ever been. There was a carny outside the 'haunted house' who was sitting with his chest resting on a mirror and a prosthetic spine writhing beneath it, like he was a ripped-off bust. He beckoned us in like "you fuckin pussies, get in here" and we did the haunted house, it was wild.

This guy and I did a lot of partying in unfamiliar neighbourhoods, which at the time was scary because sometimes he'd disappear and I'd be there to fend for myself in an unfamiliar jam or walk home on alien streets. Funny enough he showed up to some park jams much later (like, two years ago) and upon seeing people getting rowdy and shooting off fireworks in the park, commented that "we're too old for this poo poo man, this is sketch."

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 2, 2023

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I was the bad seed with the bomb weed

Wait, that was Mack 10

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

rip zdar

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
still am OP

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Yeah im still a bad influence. I put a shitload of butter and sugar in all my cooking. I don't count MSG as bad cos that poo poo is bomb as gently caress.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
no cuz I've been a fuckin goody two shoes nerd for forty years

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

No, I was the good influence op.

Cryomancer
Jan 22, 2005

Indeed.
In my college dorms, we had one of the few co-ed hallways, and even though we weren't rowdy at all, like most of the building, for some reason the Student Baptist Union used to warn people away from mingling with our particular hall. My neighbor across the hall laughingly told us this because she was a member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

The Student Baptist Union sounds like a club for assholes.