Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Youremother posted:

Another extremely hosed up book I've read was Veins by Drew of "Toothpaste for Dinner" and a bunch of other stuff fame. If you're an older poster you might remember him as user M R CRACKER/I LIKE FROSTYS, and the entire book is his forums posting gimmick expanded out to a full fledged memoir. It's M.R. "Dude" Cracker himself explaining why the Wendy's that burned down wasn't his fault by giving the complete story of his entire life, and though it's labeled as a comedy, I found it soulcrushingly sad. The thing is, I have personally known people like this, as friends: people too disabled, too abused, and too just plain unwell to even understand how unwell they are, surviving in the most horrific of situations to be anything but completely blithe. One of the most memorable scenes is a part of M.R.'s quest to find a girlfriend, which he does by asking every single woman that shows up at his Goodwill job, the job he got because he just got out of prison, to be his girlfriend. When his manager finds out, she fires him, and he responds by immediately asking her out too now that she's not a coworker.

It's a great short read and I really liked it, but I don't think I'm going to read it again any time soon. Easily the saddest book I have read in my life, sadder than The Road, because these people exist in real life all around us.

that sounds insanely "good". I think we've all met this guy at some point in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Philip K Dick is a pretty hosed up author. Ubik read like a psychotic dream logic stream of thoughts which given his fondness for meth was probably accurate.

highly recommend, but it put me in a weird mood for days.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Cthulu Carl posted:

I remember reading Ubik when I took a course on sci-fi on college.

I don't remember Ubik, just reading it. I don't know what that means.

there isn't a lot to latch on to plotwise, honestly. it's more of a feeling or sensation that stuck with me. highly recommend if you like weird scifi. I think it's sub 300 pages.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

tadashi posted:

I've read The Handmaid's Tale and The Road and the latter reads like a work of Christian Existentialism compared to the former, imo. There's some hope for society in the latter.

yeah the road is an anti-nihilist work. ends with deliverance and salvation despite the naysayers. hosed me up for a while but it was beautiful in the Cormac Mccarthy way.

hard to believe I got it through my mom because Oprah recommended it lol

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I think I recommended it to too many people in the horror thread but I'm again mentioning Negative Space as a really hosed up witchcraft allegory for the rust belt opoid crisis and teen suicide epidemics, viewed through a 4chan like board. really hit home as someone who survived 2004-2010 but saw a lot of friends and acquitances and classmates not make it.

e. oh and shoutout to derp who got me the passion of gh which was the most beautiful novel about eating a cockroach and finding god I've ever read. I think I need to reread it annually.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Grassy Knowles posted:

I haven't watched it since the 90s and wasn't trying to change that so I GISed it. Got too distracted by this.

oh my