Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Elementary: honestly all my teachers were pretty good, i only remember having bad experiences with a couple of them. Nobody stands out enough for me to even remember their name really.

Middle school: one of my band teachers was great. The other was psychotic though so anyone probably would look good in comparison but i liked her. I don't recall her name though, think it may have been Miss Sanders. There was also a science teacher that recommended me for honors biology for high school freshman year and that was the first class where i was actually interested in the subject matter and it was challenging enough to keep me interested. Without that recommendation i don't know what would have happened. I probably would not have applied myself like i did. Again, don't remember his name but I'm extremely bad with names.

High school: the latin teacher Mrs Muggleston was definitely up there. She showed us Life of Brian and taught us silly songs to help remember the conjugations. She also had us cook recipes from an ancient cookbook one time which i thought was really neat. Then there was Mr Ross the English teacher who was old and gay and very funny. He showed us Grendel, Grendel, Grendel and Waiting for Guffman and he loved Rent. I'm sure he had his share of angry uptight parents come after him. I loved him. My band teacher Mr Rogers was a legend, he had been at the school since at least the early 80s and looked basically the same as the yearbook pics from then. He played the sax like me and really encouraged me to push to get into the honors bands and stuff. When i was graduating i told him i wanted to be a veterinarian and he seemed really disappointed that i didn't go into music but he still wished me luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

The only one I had was my Geology/Geography teacher in high school in the mid 90's. She was transgendered and was probably the best instructor in the building. She was always interested in the subject matter, explained things clearly and got the troubled kids to shut the gently caress up so the rest of us could concentrate. Many years later, I saw her scaling the cliffside of a mountain on the highway to obtain more samples for her class. That was pretty bad rear end.
The other teachers were control freaks, extremely cruel to kids, patronizing, did not want to be there, or were pedophiles. I remember all of the terrible ones more than the good ones. I really hope they aren't teaching anymore and covid made them retire early.

The fun of going to a poor school growing up.

zone
Dec 6, 2016
My French teacher from middle school up until my last year of high school was a guy from France. He doted on me because I was one of his best students and always at the top of his class. He was good for all sorts of anecdotes about his life in France, along with showing us documentaries and movies once every week or so. Like the guy was, for a teacher, pretty cool if you were able to keep up with the coursework. Woe betide you if you slacked off, or started failing the class though.

Another favorite of mine was my biology teacher in high school. She was really good at her job and very patient with the students that were having trouble in her classes. Anyone that topped her class in a term exam would get a little gift in appreciation. I don't think anyone taking her class in high school had a single bad thing to say about her, excepting maybe ne'er do wells that never paid attention in class. A year after I left school, she was appointed the school Principal, and it was well deserved.

Avicus
Aug 31, 2007
Gentleman Bastard
Grimey Drawer
Mr Watson, 1st year of junior school (UK). Dude was a a LARPer and did mock celt vs roman playground battles with the class when teaching history (complete with massive foam broadsword and celt costume).

Also gave Where's Wally books as prizes when we did well in tests and stuff.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Mr. Methane taught me how to make my rear end sing.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

All of my elementary school teachers were exceptional people along with the other teachers I didn’t have. There are far too many to list. I can’t remember a single teacher from middle school because it was a dark and traumatizing period of my life. Try as hard as I might, and I can’t even picture faces. gently caress middle school forever.

In high school, my favorite teacher was my freshman and junior English teacher, Mr. Velgos. He was a mega-nerd who played the balalaika and was just super chill and funny. He would also teach us a little Old and Middle English (along with Russian!) for fun, and reading Chaucer’s works in their original language was really engaging.

My junior social studies teacher Mr. Smith dressed conservatively for school. Vietnam vet who wore a suit and tie and always had a briefcase. He reminded me of Tom Berenger’s undercover mercenary character in The Substitute, which at the time was a new movie. The second he walked through the classroom door, though, the stoic hallway demeanor turned into a party animal. Dude was an absolute blast to listen to and learn, and he was just a great teacher who used his own experiences in the ‘60s to teach us just how hosed up things were back then. Just the neatest dude.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

My old history teacher was quite a character. He had that one asset that a lot of teachers lack - charisma. He wasn't a very strict or angry person but at the same time nobody ever made trouble in his class, we were all too busy listening to his stories. He could be dramatic too, putting on different voices and playing out the parts. Hell, I think he directed most of the school plays too.

He was a fairly rotund middle age guy, with a three musketeers goatee and a curly grey mullet. I think he must have weighed close to 300lbs. One day he substituted our PE class. He refereed while the rest of us played indoor soccer. Occasionally the ball would come in his direction and land at his feet. Some of us went over to tackle him and he danced jigs around four of us. Pele and George Best would have been impressed, especially for a guy that size and age.

I've since met the man in recent years and it's heartbreaking. He now looks like his docor would encourage him to put on weight and he walks with a cane. So sad.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

The ones with big tiddies op

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
my favorite teacher in high school was an english/humanities teacher who was very good and everyone liked him

i gave him a copy of my favorite book when i graduated - Dhalgren, of course -_-;

i later heard he was fired for inappropriate relations with a student

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
my APUSH teacher was a full on communist, loving legend

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Most of the arts teachers I had in the later years of highschool were fun because they did not give a poo poo. Sometimes it felt like we didn't even have a curriculum for some of these classes. Photography, Film & Video, and Contemporary Art classes had some projects but (especially in Contemporary Art) they were more open-ended and we could play around with their parameters until we were basically just loving around with a camera, with some graphic design software, or with a pile of garbage we'd turn into 'installation pieces'. I think even some of our Jackass-inspired hijinks ended up not only allowed as Film & Video projects, but got decent grades.

The Contemporary Art teacher also showed us a lot of crazy poo poo to expand our minds on the definition of art; Chris Burden's Shoot (where he voluntarily gets shot in the arm with a rifle inside a gallery), Joseph Beuys' I Like America And America Likes Me (where he paints his head gold and carries a dead rabbit around a gallery describing artwork to it) and Coyote (where he locks himself in a gallery with a coyote for like a week), and a few hours of Matthew Barney's Cremaster Cycle (the wackest performance/installation/video art piece ever made). Too bad he turned out to be a groomer and went to jail a few years ago.

My Creative Writing & English teacher was more serious about schoolwork, but she was also awesome - she knew how to provoke thoughts very well. I wish I'd listened to her more (I'd have read DUNE years earlier). That goes for a few of my teachers, actually - I'm sure a lot of students heeded their words in the moment but for bratty guys like me it's only in retrospect that I realize they were actually really good at their jobs and a lot of their progressive ideals and compassion rubbed off on me.

In college, in the first year of 'General Arts & Sciences' cash grab before I could get into the program I wanted, I took a course called History of Rock & Roll. It was incredible. The prof was this really soft-spoken guy, who would always pull up a chair and put one foot on it, and sip from a water bottle as he told us about eras of music from the Blues all the way up to 1990s Gangsta Rap. The quizzes were literal crosswords, and the back half of every class was just listening to music from the era we discussed. It was the type of class where going in stoned out of your mind would actually improve your grade.

When I did get into the Audio Engineering program the following year, basically all the profs were as cool as you might expect, being music industry veterans themselves. They had fun stories about sessions with famous musicians, they'd crack the same dirty jokes about subject matter that we would (you know what a cardioid polar pattern diagram looks like? It looks like A Butt) and a few of them even came out and attended some of our parties and smoked blunts with us.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
High school, senior year, physics teacher.

She could teach physics to a cow if need be. Everything was simple and easy to understand; force, mass, acceleration, time dilation, etc. Just a teacher at ease with the subject and working with students. She was cool as heck. Also a second degree blackbelt in karate, and she went to tournaments on a regular basis.

Senior year, last semester, most of us had completed all the necessary coursework and were already doing college applications and such. But, the school still had to have so many students on campus for a full day to meet funding quotas, and the result being we got stuck in homeroom for the last 90 minutes of the day; which happened to be with our physics teacher.

My friends and I would play cards. Hearts, specifically. She'd get on us about not doing homework while we had the chance, and we essentially laughed because it didn't matter and we are already graduated.

She'd just laugh and sit down with us and tell us to deal her in.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

My senior year I ended up on the homebound program and my tutor was a 20-something blonde speech therapist who wore Phish t-shirts and I would have done absolutely anything to make her smile. My grades went way up that year. She'd be about 50 years old today and I hope her entire life owned.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Mozi posted:

my favorite teacher in high school was an english/humanities teacher who was very good and everyone liked him

i gave him a copy of my favorite book when i graduated - Dhalgren, of course -_-;

i later heard he was fired for inappropriate relations with a student

Same except for the middle part.
Ended up seeing him again for the first time since high school when I went home for last Thanksgiving. Quick "hey" and nothing else because what can you say? "Hey Mr. (name), heard you banged a teenager, what job do you have now?"

I also had a really cool biology teacher in grade 12, he and his also-a-teacher wife were liked by probably drat near the entire student body and faculty. So of course they both got laid off the year after. That was well over a decade ago now though so they're fine.

But other than that I didn't have many standout teachers. Whooole lot of crappy ones, though. Eh but this isn't the thread for that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I don't recall having any particularly crappy teachers, like the worst we got were those apathetic public school geriatrics who probably should've retired twenty years sooner.

I had really great band teachers, and a great Japanese teacher my junior and senior year of high school. I can't really give specific examples because I'd be here all day. Just everything about them was fantastic.

i had an ok japanese teacher my sophomore year but she was a recent uni grad and still in training, and a native japanese speaker so her english was only so-so. but my anecode about her is that we were learning about relative time words--"today" "tomorrow" "current week" "last week" sort of thing--and for some reason she chose the phrase "coming week" instead of "next week" and all the guys in that class agreed that it was way too distracting to have this total babe in her 20s continuously reiterating "cumming week" to teenagers

I had a math teacher my sophomore year who had just bought new copies of all her Discworld novels, and she gave me something like 15 or 20 of her old ones as hand-me-downs. Why? Because I mentioned to her once that I had, by chance, found this interesting new author in the library, name of ~Piers Anthony~, and she was like "oh my god gently caress piers anthony, here have these REAL books instead." excellent life advice imo

Amazing physics teacher my senior year too. Our course content was extremely rigorous and I always felt like I was behind based on my exam results, but we used the national standardized physics test for our final exam and I knocked that poo poo outta the park so hard, i got like a 97% on it or smth, so obviously he was doing something right and in retrospect, it seems that our in-school tests were just insanely difficult galaxy brain poo poo designed by (who else!) the physics teachers :v: Aside from the physics, he was full of crazy stories from his youth about how applying logic to everyday situations can save your rear end.

near the end of the year he showed us a 9/11 conspiracy video and explained to us the math behind why the conspiracy theory being floated in the video was bullshit and how a moving object (airplane) can, in fact, blast chunks of concrete out the side of a sufficiently large fixed object (world trade center) at speed. and let us burn a bible with a big panel of fresnel glass and the sun

e: wait no i just remembered, ONE absolutely crappy teacher. i took summer school history one year so i could take more electives during the normal year. he couldn't spell, he could barely read, and there was a test with the question, "what kinds of dangers did traders face on the mississippi river" and marked the entire class wrong for not answering "Sharks"

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 2, 2023

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I to this day despise all my teachers for doing nothing about the bullying. Hope you and all your favorite bullies are writhing in the blackest pit of Gehenna.

Also, they never taught me a single goddamn thing. My music teacher actually made me hate music for several years.

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 2, 2023

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I to this day despise all my teachers for doing nothing about the bullying. Hope you and all your favorite bullies are writhing in the blackest pit of Gehenna.

Also, they never taught me a single goddamn thing. My music teacher actually made me hate music for several years.

Sounds you got LEARNT

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021
My eight grade teacher was, supposedly, one of the first white women to go to what had formerly been an all men's black college, where she met her husband. She had books like Maus and the autobiography of Malcom X, and she brought in peace corp volunteers to tell us about other countries, often sometimes they told us not to join the peace corp. She was responsible for me going through life wondering about how people didn't know about Emmit Till, or the Tulsa Massacre, weren't you taught that in school? Nope, turns out I just had an exceptional teacher.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i had a german teacher miss klein who had the biggest most juiciest rear end. she had a pretty face too. other ppl in my class would make fun of her for it but i was into it. most of the women i've dated in my life have looked at least a bit like miss klein. this isn't intentional, but that rear end had a big impact on me as a kid.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i also had a shop teacher mr. schumacher who had like 3 fingers. he taught me drafting and wood shop. he was like 65. he's probably dead now. rip mr schumacher

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

my fifth grade teacher who turned me on to tom lehrer was dope as hell.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
My freshman year Highschool english teacher was a very soft spoken overly polite teacher who was extremely nice. Then you'd go to afterschool football practice and he's the most foulmouthed motherfucker to ever exist.

My AP english teacher was awesome and pretty universally beloved. My only issue with her was a group of the previous year's seniors would show up randomly once every 2 weeks or so to 'hang out', which was incredibly lame and she should have probably put a stop to.

A bunch of my college professors kicked rear end. Basically all of them for my major were cool except for 2 who were insane hardasses and legitimately bad people, but at least one got removed from teaching undergrads right before I left.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Can I use this thread to talk about teachers who were really stupid? Not ones that I disliked or were bad teachers, just the ones that you would be better forgetting the lessons they taught?

One of my primary school teachers was a charming and funny man, except when it came to religeon. He was a devout catholic. Our local chapel was one of those modern art disasters, a grey oval building with a moat and a flat roof. The roof leaked constantly. I know some people who had fallen into the moat and hurt themselves, one of them was my mother. My teacher once said in class that the architect should be put on trial and hanged. I don't think he was joking.

He lived with his parents and some of his siblings and they were even more crazy. Forget about tattoos, piercings and hair dye - those people would flip out at the sight of a man who wasn't clean shaved. And I guarantee there was a picture of a long haired, bearded guy in every room of their house (Jesus).

It was a real shame about that guys brother. He was a closeted gay man and not religeous at all. He spent his life alone, never finding love and drank himself into human wreckage feeling shame that he shouldn't.

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE
My two Spanish teachers in HS to start...they were perfect teachers but would have beat the poo poo out of one another given the chance.... e: both nice ladies

and for OTHER reasons, Mr. K. whom I won't doxx further, actually being a near perfect science teacher, but ALSO wearing those short-sleeved, collared shirts AND those marbled, pressed plastic glasses. And still being cool.

e: and this thread just make me think of it... sometimes his 'Rival' would sneak into the room, and mix some poo poo up that would start boiling over in a glass vial...(I'm sure it was the equivalent of baking powder and vineger) and then literally SKULK out of the room behind him, and, since you, as a student were expected to be AWARE of their rivalry, despite who's quote, side, you were on, to remain un-quiet would be dis-earneast you just sat there during class and watched this dude whom you knew pour what could be very dangerous chemicals into a mug in YOUR class room and then sneak out, and say NOTHING.

BigBeefCity fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 3, 2023

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Primary school: there was only one male teacher in the whole school. Mr Murphy. Loveliest guy I’ve ever met. Insanely tall, stood easily 2 feet over every other teacher, built like a brick shithouse as well. My sister had a massive crush on him and was always telling me to ask him if he was single (she’s a good bit older than me and was roughly his age). I bumped into him a couple years ago in a shopping mall, with his husband. Turns out he couldn’t come out during the 90s because he’d have been fired with no recourse (that was still a totally acceptable legal loophole in Ireland until only a couple of years ago) so he kept his poo poo to himself and only became more open about it after we voted in favour of same-sex marriage in 2015. Sad for him that he couldn’t be open about it for so long, but also delighted for him that he’s happy and married to someone he loves and can be upfront about it.

Secondary school: we had a crazy art teacher named Mr Barry. Again, the only male teacher at the school. He wore old brown sweaters he’d found in charity shops. Cycled to school every day, rain or shine. Had wild unkempt grey hair and giant 1960s glasses, and a bizarre sense of humour. But he loved whatever cool art project you wanted to work on and was gung-ho about giving you random magazine clippings and printouts of random famous paintings and photos that could help you out with brainstorming ideas and art styles. He had an entire desk full of random old props and objects that he’d dig out for still life sketch days, just going to each desk throwing old timey pipes and mop heads and dusty old books at everyone to draw for the day. One day I came to the class to do some last-minute research for my end-of-year art project, and he was on the brink of tears telling me that the ‘idiot nuns’ were throwing out old books in the school library, and he’d just managed to rescue a hardback copy of Robinson Crusoe IN IRISH that they were throwing into the bin.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Primary school: there was only one male teacher in the whole school. Mr Murphy. Loveliest guy I’ve ever met. Insanely tall, stood easily 2 feet over every other teacher, built like a brick shithouse as well. My sister had a massive crush on him and was always telling me to ask him if he was single (she’s a good bit older than me and was roughly his age). I bumped into him a couple years ago in a shopping mall, with his husband. Turns out he couldn’t come out during the 90s because he’d have been fired with no recourse (that was still a totally acceptable legal loophole in Ireland until only a couple of years ago) so he kept his poo poo to himself and only became more open about it after we voted in favour of same-sex marriage in 2015. Sad for him that he couldn’t be open about it for so long, but also delighted for him that he’s happy and married to someone he loves and can be upfront about it.

Secondary school: we had a crazy art teacher named Mr Barry. Again, the only male teacher at the school. He wore old brown sweaters he’d found in charity shops. Cycled to school every day, rain or shine. Had wild unkempt grey hair and giant 1960s glasses, and a bizarre sense of humour. But he loved whatever cool art project you wanted to work on and was gung-ho about giving you random magazine clippings and printouts of random famous paintings and photos that could help you out with brainstorming ideas and art styles. He had an entire desk full of random old props and objects that he’d dig out for still life sketch days, just going to each desk throwing old timey pipes and mop heads and dusty old books at everyone to draw for the day. One day I came to the class to do some last-minute research for my end-of-year art project, and he was on the brink of tears telling me that the ‘idiot nuns’ were throwing out old books in the school library, and he’d just managed to rescue a hardback copy of Robinson Crusoe IN IRISH that they were throwing into the bin.

No long winded rant this time but I agree. We really need to take religion out of schools, especially here in the North.

dookieblunt
Jan 6, 2023

shoot the core!
I did french immersion (canada) and most of the teachers were shitheads except one guy who I remember incredibly fondly. I struggled with a bad case of ADHD and he was the only teacher who took the time to understand what I needed and was patient with me.

None of my high school teachers were that memorable except the history teacher who always made up stories about his time in the military.

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004

Mr.Acula posted:

The ones with big tiddies op

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I don't know why the ones about how hot the teachers were didn't occur to me as such a likely response, I underestimated the goonliness of goons.

I had crushes on a few teachers and one librarian. I don't remember if I ever told my friends about my crushes I think I kept it a secret.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
My 1st grade teacher suggested to my mom that I move up to 2nd after realizing that I was bored out of my skull getting perfect scores in every assignment more quickly & consistently than all of my classmates. Of course, my 2nd grade teacher was a huge bitch who did nothing but scream at everyone, but I still think it was a good move. :toot:

The more I thought about it, the more I realized that the vast majority of my favorite teachers were simply not assholes, not people I actively liked.

Dixville posted:

I don't know why the ones about how hot the teachers were didn't occur to me as such a likely response, I underestimated the goonliness of goons.

Oh man, I remember having a substitute teacher when I was old enough to have crushes but young enough not to have a filter yet, and I raised my hand as if to ask a question, and when he called on me, I told him that he had a nice voice. :cripes:

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
A bunch of us gave her a party.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

mutantIke posted:

my APUSH teacher was a full on communist, loving legend

Oh I liked our APUSH teacher he had high grading standards while not being a jerk which was good prep for college. Was in his class on 9/11 and a student asked if the date was chosen because it’s the same as the number for emergencies & he said he couldn’t answer that with the available information.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Valko posted:

Can I use this thread to talk about teachers who were really stupid? Not ones that I disliked or were bad teachers, just the ones that you would be better forgetting the lessons they taught?

One of my primary school teachers was a charming and funny man, except when it came to religeon. He was a devout catholic. Our local chapel was one of those modern art disasters, a grey oval building with a moat and a flat roof. The roof leaked constantly. I know some people who had fallen into the moat and hurt themselves, one of them was my mother. My teacher once said in class that the architect should be put on trial and hanged. I don't think he was joking.

He lived with his parents and some of his siblings and they were even more crazy. Forget about tattoos, piercings and hair dye - those people would flip out at the sight of a man who wasn't clean shaved. And I guarantee there was a picture of a long haired, bearded guy in every room of their house (Jesus).

It was a real shame about that guys brother. He was a closeted gay man and not religeous at all. He spent his life alone, never finding love and drank himself into human wreckage feeling shame that he shouldn't.

I always thought this was funny. Bet Jesus didn't wear a suit and tie either.

Reminds me of a guy at my school, never had this guy as a teacher myself. He was:

1. Devoutly Catholic.

2. Openly gay.

3. Had huge, obvious problems with women in any sort of position of power. Possibly women in general.

#3 fully came out when he loudly ragequit mid-semester when a female teacher who had worked there much longer got some (tiny, fluff) promotion ahead of him.

Thinking about it he wasn't all that hypocritical, lol

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

My computer science professors in college were very chill middle aged jewish folks who were straight up with us and taught us things to get jobs. They were pretty great and my homey professor howard still teaches there to this day.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i barely remember any of 'em, and mostly the ones that stand out had some scandal or other

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

My favourite teacher when he first met me, deliberately went over to me and clipped me round the head because I was my brother's brother.

He had a habit of walloping people on the regular (not REALLY hard, dope-slaps) and, even though that would be enough to have ANYONE fired at the time, no-one cared because he was the funniest, most engaging and possibly the best Chemistry teacher at the school.

RIP Snedden, you mad bastard.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I had a high school math teacher who on the first day of class said “You’ll need a compass. One end pointy and the other’s got a writing stick on it. If you don’t have the corn of the realm to purchase a new one, you might have one at home in a drawer. If it’s catty-wampus ask your pappy to smack it with a ball-peen”

I studied harder in that class than any math class before or after because he was so funny

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

From first to fourth grade, my class had the same teacher. Her name was Solbritt and I believe we were her first actual job as a teacher. She was friendly and all-around positive, and the whole class liked her. She got married, and actually invited us to her wedding. I think it might have been the first wedding I actually went to in my life, at least the first I can remember. Then towards the end of fourth grade or so, she got pregnant. So we knew we'd have a new teacher after the summer.

Turns out, that did not end up being "a" new teacher. The school never managed to find anyone to take on our fifth grade class on a permanent basis, so that whole school year was kind of chaotic when it came to that. I think the best it ever stabilized to was two teachers who'd have us different days of the week, though there might have been one who actually were our full-time teacher towards the end. When we finished sixth grade, as was tradition our class wrote a song (or, new lyrics to an existing song) about the years we had spent there with shoutouts to all our teachers to perform at the "graduation", and while we mentioned at least two notable ones we outright stated we didn't even remember all the teachers we got to try out during that fifth year.

Then came sixth grade and with it Maj, who we definitely came to consider as the saviour of the class after all that bullshit the previous year. While I have the (potentially not correct) impression that class consensus back then was that Solbritt had been our best teacher, I'm pretty sure I thought already at the time that it actually was Maj. Looking back at it, I'm absolutely sure it was. So here's to you, Maj, you saved our class.

We had a good main teacher for the class I was in in 7th-9th grade, but the most most specific teacher I can point out from that time is more like one of my least favourite teachers I've ever had, so I'm gonna skip that.

Then, in the third and final year of the following three years of school (which we here in Sweden call "Gymnasium"), came the Japanese teacher who we called Takakusagi-sensei (because, well, that was his last name). Back in those days people couldn't be expected to have their own laptops, but the school I went to was one where they'd loan you one for the three years you'd spend there, so there were a number of us nerds who went there. We'd play Counter-strike on local wireless LAN. This was where I met the one school friend I still am in touch with, and we'd talk anime and manga and he'd get me episodes of stuff because at the time I still had 56k modem at home while he had a 2mbit line.

So anyway, with all of us nerds there, a number of us lobbied for Japanese classes, and we eventually got it in the third year. This meant that those Japanese classes had students from all three years, and they were even outside of "regular" hours - we'd have them three times a week, two of them was before the rest of the classes started and one after all other regular classes had finished. But we liked it, in no small part to our teacher, who was an all around great guy in general. He had created the study materials we used himself, since he hadn't found any he liked. We'd frequently have the task of coming up with short skits including what we had learned recently, to perform in front of the class. It was great fun, and those classes pretty much single-handedly was what made me decide to choose Japanese as the thing to study at university, after dropping my previous plan of becoming a civil engineer because oh my god I could not deal with all that math. While my university path changed a number of times before I finally landed a master's degree in something, it's why I moved to the city I live in now, and my uni studies were mostly in the same fields of languages and linguistics (even if my eventual MD wasn't entirely within that, it still involved a lot of writing and speaking). While I always liked reading, and learned English faster than most of my class for which I credit video games, I think those Japanese studies, especially thanks to Mr. T (pun intended), was when I truly became a language nerd. So here's to him too, I think he definitely was the most formative teacher of all I've ever had.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
My form tutor Mrs Hurcombe was incredible. She was a short, plump and rose-faced woman who was a food tech (cooking) teacher and as someone looking over the personal and educational development of ~30 kids she always made time for everyone and was patient and caring. It was like having a kick-arse aunt watching your back at school, and she had no issue with you hanging out in the kitchen classroom during breaks. But drat she ran her class with an iron fist and didn't play favourites.

There was also Mr. Johnston who was my "graphic products" (read: technical drawing) teacher who was an enormous sci-fi nerd. Tall and pale guy who funnily enough reminded me of Data just with wrinkles, blue eyes and unkempt hair. Lot of good time spent talking about Star Trek and sci-fi with him even if I sucked at technical drawing.

Finally Mr. Barrass and his classroom assistant Ivan taught design technology (woodshop). This stout geordie who outside of safety didn't really give a flying gently caress. When the design technology block got a new PC suite built and installed someone snuck a copy of unreal tournament onto the network and that was where we spent most lunch breaks doing "coursework". Barrass and Ivan went from admonishing, to ignoring, and eventually joining in on lunchtime deathmatches.

Basically anyone who made the day feel tolerable was a good egg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

My 4th grade teacher Mrs. Salkowski was great, especially in contrast to my 3rd and 5th grade teachers. I had perfect attendance that year but would do anything I could to get out of going in 3rd and 5th.