Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

quote:

Suspended over the abyss, the life of Octavia's inhabitants is less uncertain than in other cities. They know the net will last only so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003

W.G. Sebald - The Rings of Saturn

quote:

Combustion is the hidden principle behind every artifact we create. The making of a fish-hook, manufacture of a china cup, or production of a television program, all depend on the same process of combustion. Like our bodies and like out desires, the machines we have devised are possessed of a heart which is slowly reduced to embers. From the earliest times, human civilization has been no more than a strange luminance growing more intense by the hour, of which no one can say when it will begin to wane and when it will fade away. For the time being, our cities still shine through the night, and the fires still spread.

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

MEAT. [Blood, Mind, Moderate] You are struck with the sickening realisation that everyone in the world is just an ambulatory sack of wet electric meat, barely cognisant of their physical existence, scurrying through life like fleas on a great beast. Increase the difficulty of all social actions by 1.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
The baby, again, the animal, they don't see the difference between what they do now and what will happen because of it. They can't make a pulley, or a promise. We can. Seeing the difference between now and not now, we can make the connection. And there morality enters in. Responsibility. To say that a good end will follow from a bad means is just like saying that if I pull a rope on this pulley it will lift the weight on that one. To break a promise is to deny the reality of the past; therefore it is to deny the hope of a real future.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Terry Pratchett posted:

If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards!'

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

The Librarian sounds like they know what they're talking about!

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

it's fine it's not like they summoned a dragon or something with it

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Iain Banks posted:

‘May our friendship be long and our wars be short!’ Fivetide squeezed the fluid into his mouth beak.

‘So short you could miss them entirely,’ Genar-Hofoen said tiredly, more because it was the sort of thing a Culture ambassador was supposed to say rather than because he sincerely meant it. Fivetide snorted derisively and dodged briefly to one side, apparently attempting to stick one tentacle-end up the anus of a passing Fleet Captain, who wrestled the tentacle aside and snapped his beak aggressively before joining in Fivetide’s laughter and exchanging the heartfelt hellos and thunderous tentacle-slaps of dear friends

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

He used to pimp and pull shakedowns. Now he rode shotgun to history.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

quote:

I want to put a bullet between the eyes of every last panda that won't gently caress to save their own species. I want to breathe smoke.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

quote:

The sailormen had plenty of time to depress their hearers, already low in their spirits because of the unnatural death of Henry Gouges (had said, "Ha, ha, mates, I am fifty years old this day. Oh dear" and had died sitting there, still holding his untasted grog)

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

Her cave is surrounded by thick woodlands, apparently, which sounded so much like a euphemism when the bard first sang it that I threatened to have him flogged.

quote:

And Calypso seems to have been the perfect hostess, so long as you overlook the part where you are - and it seems almost quaint that I still remember this - my husband, and not hers.

A Thousand Ships, by Natalie Haynes

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

quote:

The pure bourgeois in a state of social ferment. There was that typical costive, haemorrhoidal facies, the knock-knees, the drooping shoulders, the flat feet splayed out, the ill breath, the large staring eyes, the meek complacency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
There is a particular intensity about clever men whose brains are under-used, and sometimes there is no way they can control their emanations. In that sense, they are a great deal more at risk, under the bright lights, than their more stupid colleagues.