Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
For instance just now I was hungry and wasn't sure what I wanted but I found a box of pancake mix and went "OoOoOo that sounds great! and not a lot of work!" mixed it up and threw away 5 that turned out like crap, the 6th one looked okay but tasted horrid. Then I looked at the box and it said "Best before: July 21st 2017". - oh well I will just have a PB&J sandwitch, with the bacon I cooked slapped in between.

Tell us your "oops, I hosed up" stories!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I made a Japanese curry with purple potatoes. Tasted fine but it was a weird shade of putrid purple.

Edit: pro tip, if you gently caress up dinner just call it ‘Chicago style’ and nobody will realize it.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 4, 2023

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
We already have a thread for this.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Oh, I am sorry. A mod or something can close the thread than. I apoligize.

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

The old thread is like 10 years old and hasn't been posted in for months imo this forum needs some new blood around here because it's my favorite and I'm sad that it's so slow.

Once upon a time when I was like 15 I dumped the mac and cheese packet to boil with the noodles.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

pandy fackler posted:

Once upon a time when I was like 15 I dumped the mac and cheese packet to boil with the noodles.

I did this on an LSD trip where I was trying to pretend I wasn’t tripping balls to my very anti-drug girlfriend at the time.

I remember bringing the pot to her and being like “I don’t know what I did wrong”.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

pandy fackler posted:

The old thread is like 10 years old and hasn't been posted in for months imo this forum needs some new blood around here because it's my favorite and I'm sad that it's so slow.

Cool beans! I don't post in this subforum much, but I do read it or ask the random question.

And for content. Like a week ago I thought it would be a "bright" idea to put a little balsamic vinegar into the marinara sauce I was making - well that little dash that I wanted to do turned out to be like 3 table spoons. I just added a bunch of parmesan and sugar to kind of hide it. It wound up being ---- edible.

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Cool beans! I don't post in this subforum much, but I do read it or ask the random question.

And for content. Like a week ago I thought it would be a "bright" idea to put a little balsamic vinegar into the marinara sauce I was making - well that little dash that I wanted to do turned out to be like 3 table spoons. I just added a bunch of parmesan and sugar to kind of hide it. It wound up being ---- edible.

I made this mistake a few months ago with a wine vinegar and pea soup, except like a half a cup of the cooking liquid was vinegar. I'm generally instinctually a really good cook but I guess I was thinking about white wine being a nice addition and didn't have any on hand. The vinegar was not nice it tasted faintly of :barf:

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I made a sauce with a jar of butternut squash puree that tasted like burnt hair. Turns out you shouldn't treat it like a barbecue sauce and leave it simmering on the stove for two hours, who knew.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I recently made mayonnaise in my blender and working from memory (it's been quite a while since I made my own, and couldn't find the written version) put in too much lemon juice and vinegar. It was usable but quite thin, and very lemony. Worked very well with hamburgers, thinly spread on the bun. Unfortunately the emulsion broke after a day or so. It would stay solid in the fridge and then separate and melt all over the place within a minute or two after spreading it on something.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I agree this forum needs more traffic. My last big fuckup was for friend who. I was trying to make up his previous birthday to. It was still game of thrones mania so we did GOT themed birthday. Had a very funny family saying for him and his wife (We Pay the Emotional Price).

Anyway, I did a multiple course meal. Can’t remember what we made but there was croquembouche, sword skewered meat balls, and Genoese meat and onion sauce pasta. gently caress up one was literally half of the people attending had to cancel. Fuckup two was the dinner was a Friday and I spent the entire night before cooking everything, still having to work the day of Friday. I tried to make polenta cakes and in spite of my best efforts could not cook out the bitterness. Around 4 AM I moved the pot to an oven mitt to co down and give up. A minute later I smell smoke and come back to see the oven mitt has melted and the pot is smoking. I gave up on the polenta cakes. Disaster after disaster. Luckily the dinner as a whole turned our wonderful in spite of half the expected attendance and me being dead on my feet tired.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I hit the wrong button while heating up my oven for cookies. Set in some nice Christmas dough, wonder five minutes later why there is burning. I had set it to broil.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I made lemon curd but forgot to add the lemon juice.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Buttchocks posted:

I made lemon curd but forgot to add the lemon juice.

whoa. just neutral Curd.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I am going to tell my husbands gently caress up. He tried to make me a heart shaped pizza (for valentines day), and he used WAY too much garlic. I ate like 2 bites and decided I was done. Garlic is nice in a pizza sauce but if you use a whole bulb - it is not very nice! But the fact he went through the effort was nice - and honestly the pizza crust was nice and made well - but again, way too much garlic in the sauce!

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 23, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/22dbrit/status/1653468934358614023?s=46&t=Kzmv5HsyFqNWsBcA-dIRLA

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Fukken :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Although it’s not my own I posted that video because I’ve literally done that.

Twice.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

A brief history of things I have hosed up in the kitchen that my wife will never let me live down:
-Using her Pyrex dish under a broiler. Whoops broken glass everywhere!
-Trying to make hot sauce, the recipe called for the jalapenos to be sautéed on the stove. Our hood didn't vent outdoors. Whoops all pepper spray!
-I made a white fish dish that called for some fresh squeezed oranges. "Hey, my girlfriend likes blood oranges, I'll use those instead!". Whoops purple fish! (It tasted fine, but that coloring was really unappetizing.)

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

This happened while we had a 3 week old so I’m attributing it to sleep deprivation:

Went to steam some green beans for a quick side dish. Threw the burner on high and went on my way. After a few minutes I thought it was weird that no steam was coming and noticed I forgot to add water.

For some reason I thought the green beans were salvageable, so I pulled the pot off the burner and went to the sink for water. Had my hand on the faucet when my brain remembered that cold water + screaming hot pan = bad stuff, so I put the pan on a bare countertop and thought through my options. While I stood there processing in a haze, the pot dumped heat into the counter and caused a series of cracks around the edges of the pot.

I cover it up with a dish cloth, but sometimes that gets moved and the crack sits there, mocking me while I wash dishes.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Here is an oops by my spouse. He came home with Sesame Cold Noodles said he had some after putting hot sauce in them, thinking I wanted that crap - If you want f'n spicy use hot chili oil not f'n tobasco suace - the vinegar and other spices in it changes the whole flavor profile. I don't want to eat that crap and don't act like you were being nice to me - in 20 years when have you ever seen me use hot sauce!? The answer is never.

I mean I guess hot sauce can go good on eggs, but I don't eat eggs, sure I will use them to bake a cake or make pasta or whatever else requires them but that is about it.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 10, 2023

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Don't mean to double post but I put some rice in my rice cooker last night while I was a bit tipsy and trying to figure out why it would not work.

Well after a bit of trying I realized I did not put any water in there! :psypop:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
How does it know that there’s no water?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

The basic rice cookers have a temperature sensor so they can cut off the power once all the water is absorbed (and the temperature inside starts rising above boiling). So probably it just heated up a bunch really quickly and dutifully said “hey your rice is done!”

Edit: my (cheap) rice cooker has a little button kind of thing below the pot insert, maybe it wouldn’t run if there wasn’t enough weight in it.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 14, 2023

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I am going to tell my husbands gently caress up. He tried to make me a heart shaped pizza (for valentines day), and he used WAY too much garlic. I ate like 2 bites and decided I was done. Garlic is nice in a pizza sauce but if you use a whole bulb - it is not very nice! But the fact he went through the effort was nice - and honestly the pizza crust was nice and made well - but again, way too much garlic in the sauce!

My old roommate from college was making some food (she rarely cooked), and came in with 3 heads of garlic. I said “wow that’s a lot of garlic!” and she said “yeah the recipe wanted 5 cloves but they were kind of expensive so I bought 3”. Thankfully I told her the difference between cloves and heads of garlic.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

They way the rice cooker works is the magnet in it stops when the temp gets over boiling point, when it gets over that the magnet stops working and releases.

Eeyo posted:

My old roommate from college was making some food (she rarely cooked), and came in with 3 heads of garlic. I said “wow that’s a lot of garlic!” and she said “yeah the recipe wanted 5 cloves but they were kind of expensive so I bought 3”. Thankfully I told her the difference between cloves and heads of garlic.

Yeah a clove and a bulbs are two different things lol.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Steve Yun posted:

nunsexmonkrock posted:

They way the rice cooker works is the magnet in it stops when the temp gets over boiling point, when it gets over that the magnet stops working and releases.

Technology Connections, the king of finding cool things about mundane tech, has a video about rice cookers if you want more way too much information.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSTNhvDGbYI

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

bbcisdabomb posted:

Technology Connections, the king of finding cool things about mundane tech, has a video about rice cookers if you want more way too much information.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSTNhvDGbYI

I like that guy - I watched his video to take care of my hurricane lantern - but I do keep a nit of kerosene on my porch so if the power goes out I can light up the house.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Uh oh! another oops my husband did. - I have told him many times if he wants to reheat a pizza in the toaster oven he needs to preheat it for at least 10 minutes - but nope he ignores my instructions and he slapped a pizza slice inside of it and turned it on. - Well guess what the pizza burst into flames and I had to shout and scream to make him get away so I could pour salt onto it. Than he got angry at me like I did something wrong because now he didn't have any slices left and wanted one of mine. I said shouted "gently caress NO -you ruined yours and are not taking mine!"

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Posted this a while back in the smoker thread, but this happend when I was smoking a turkey for Thanksgiving.

10+ years of smoking, and I've never had the smoker explode before lmao.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
I was gonna ask how the gently caress, then I saw the propane? I assume it went out, filled with unburnt propane, and was re-lit?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

JoshGuitar posted:

I was gonna ask how the gently caress, then I saw the propane? I assume it went out, filled with unburnt propane, and was re-lit?

Nope!

Best as I can tell, the drip tray filled with grease from an extra-fatty turkey, spilled onto the flame ring, and caught fire. That spread up to the turkey itself.

The actual turkey was on fire, and the probe thermometer in the breast read 360F before it melted. :v:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Well at least the turkey was cooked all the way through!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Well at least the turkey was cooked all the way through!

Lol, silver linings.

My stepdad, bless his heart, managed to get a replacement, *fresh* turkey the same day (day before Thanksgiving) which I cooked in the oven.

A bit drier than my smoked birds, since I didn't get to dry brine it, but drat if it didn't look good!

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I don't remember how old I was but I was a kid and making a bowl of cereal. I saw buttermilk in the fridge and thought "milks good, butters good, oh man that must be the best milk ever". It was not.

amaguri
Mar 27, 2010
I sell cheesecakes as a side hustle. My recipe takes a low-and-slow approach, can bake upwards of 2 hours. Anyway, I'd been baking well into the evening hours for a delivery the next morning. I took the baked and rested cheesecake out of the oven and set it on top of the stove while I quickly attended to something else, I don't even remember what. But a second after I turn my back, I hear a "shhhhplink.....CRASH" and turn around to see the springform pan upside down on the floor. The burners on our stove are slightly angled and I guess I just wasn't paying attention. I HAVE NO IDEA WHY I set it on the stove and not on the countertop literally an inch away. But I had to run out to the store to re-buy all the ingredients and stay up way, way past my bedtime to make another stupid cheesecake.

I promise you the second one was not made with the same amount of love as the first one :smithicide:

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Trying to do something from Bake Off for the kids and I pretty much nailed it?

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

honda whisperer posted:

I don't remember how old I was but I was a kid and making a bowl of cereal. I saw buttermilk in the fridge and thought "milks good, butters good, oh man that must be the best milk ever". It was not.

Oh yeah I once tried to use half & half because we were out of milk and it was before the store opened - it was not good. I dumped out the whole bowl of honey nut cheerios and waited an hour to go get whole milk. lol.

E: My husband had some kind of plant milk (most likely soy or oat or almond) and I just ignored it because I don't like it.

My husband was a vegan before he met me - but with what I eat most everything has cheese in it - so I broke his veganism and now he is a vegetarian and eats cheese and eggs. But he still hates the taste of milk. been married to him for over 20 years, so if I want too cook meat I will wait until he is not home to cook bacon or whatever.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jun 11, 2023

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
oops I was making pancakes and forgot to oil the pan with some vegetable oil or bacon fat even making with non-stick didn't work well. Well I atleast have some pan fried bacon - all is good I guess hahahaha! (I used different pans so they could be ready at the same time)

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Goddammit, this is like the FIFTH time I've put too much pepper in a dish. I accidentally bought some of that "restaurant-grade" cracked pepper instead of the fine ground I usually use, and every time, I think, "Ah, it's okay, I just have to use less of it!" And then I never do! :doh: Now everything I cook with it ranges from, "God, that's peppery" to literally inedible.

My mouth is on fire, and it's not even the fun capsaicin kind :supaburn: